AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-30, 01:09   Link #121
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Newsorama broke the news on why Nick sucks... erm.. is taking so long with the releases: http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=155383

In short, Nick is airing the episodes as its released onto DVD by Paramount, the rest of the article is speculation as to why Nick is doing that, and a review of the new episodes. So... after these 4 episodes. The next time we see anything new will be July 29th.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 02:26   Link #122
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
God, that's quite sad. I used to really love this series, but now I'm not so sure. I guess I'm just so used to the Japanese speed of handling things (and the efficiency of the fansubbing community). This is a first where I lose interest not because the recent episodes are bad, but because there are no recent episodes. I tried to recall why I loved this series, but it's been so long that I forgot.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 03:13   Link #123
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
God, that's quite sad. I used to really love this series, but now I'm not so sure. I guess I'm just so used to the Japanese speed of handling things (and the efficiency of the fansubbing community). This is a first where I lose interest not because the recent episodes are bad, but because there are no recent episodes. I tried to recall why I loved this series, but it's been so long that I forgot.
Reminds me of the golden days when you had to wait 2-3 months for an American company to release a new vhs/dvd of 3-4 episodes of whatever anime I was currently infatuated with .

That being said, I heard a rumour that Avatar was going to come to an end some time before Avatar the Live Action Movie begins formal production (which is tentatively sceduled for some time in mid to late 2009). I personally do not see how they will be able to formally end the series before or even during 2009. I was wondering if anyone else had heard this rumour, or if it is completely baseless?
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 04:03   Link #124
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3wk View Post
Reminds me of the golden days when you had to wait 2-3 months for an American company to release a new vhs/dvd of 3-4 episodes of whatever anime I was currently infatuated with .

That being said, I heard a rumour that Avatar was going to come to an end some time before Avatar the Live Action Movie begins formal production (which is tentatively sceduled for some time in mid to late 2009). I personally do not see how they will be able to formally end the series before or even during 2009. I was wondering if anyone else had heard this rumour, or if it is completely baseless?
I've heard a similar rumor that this will be the last season. I don't really see how they can do that without rushing everything but I wouldn't be surprised either. Either way, this slow release of episodes is killing interest in the show. I'm a really big fan of Avatar and it's painful to see how Nick has been handling this season.
Old 2008-04-30, 06:15   Link #125
Crontica

leave it to America to kill a goldmine when it comes to Animation, when i see Unprofessional disasters like this i come to realize how i have been taking Anime for granted, thank god Japanese at least have common sense to release quality episodes ON TIME

i too im losing interest in avatar its just too slow just like how if you have been sealed from the Sun for 60 years you forget the Greatness of the warmth, thats just Basically the same thing happening here.
Old 2008-04-30, 18:24   Link #126
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This was always intended to be the last season - it was a 3-season arc from the beginning - so this is indeed it. But the creators have expressed interest in a possible spinoff of some sort (Iroh?) and there's always Shamalyan's three-movie live action adaptation. But I confess, I have pretty low expectations for that.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 20:04   Link #127
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
This was always intended to be the last season - it was a 3-season arc from the beginning - so this is indeed it. But the creators have expressed interest in a possible spinoff of some sort (Iroh?) and there's always Shamalyan's three-movie live action adaptation. But I confess, I have pretty low expectations for that.
Really, I remember reading (during the second season) that there was supposed to be four arcs (maybe not 4-seasons, but at least 4-arcs) for each Element. I guess that was wrong info.

In regards to the live action film, If Shamalyan lets someone else write the script, the movie could turn out to be a great family film, which is really all that we can hope for.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 21:04   Link #128
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, the creators are co-writing with M.N.S., from what I've heard - so that gives me hope. The fact than an 18 year-old (and that's now, never mind 2011) has reportedly been cast as Aang doesn't.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-03, 21:06   Link #129
ellifeedn
Thinker

Avatar is one of the best shows I've seen. The story is great and the characters are complex but the thing that caught my attention was the bending. The fighting styles, the awesome fight scenes, interesting concepts like lighting, blue fire, and metalbending, this series is epic. I do wonder which is more popular in the states: Avatar or Naruto?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 01:17   Link #130
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Well, I'll take it back. After watching 314 and 315 and enjoying it more than most anime episodes I've seen this season, Avatar is still one of my favorite shows. I'm still mad about its damn lack of consistency though.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 05:08   Link #131
War_Lord
Modern Philosopher

Avatar may not be considered anime by some, but it definitely beats a fair number of them. It's ashame that good shows like these don't last and even in a worst case scenario discontinue without finishing.
Old 2008-05-08, 05:21   Link #132
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I do wonder which is more popular in the states: Avatar or Naruto?
I'm gonna go with Naruto. Avatar is pretty popular, but kids don't show up to school showing off "bending" moves, wearing nation symbols, or have their friends bury them head first into a sand pit to imitate Gara (and dying).

Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Lord View Post
Avatar may not be considered anime by some, but it definitely beats a fair number of them. It's ashame that good shows like these don't last and even in a worst case scenario discontinue without finishing.
There isn't any good excuse for airing these episodes so far apart. Timing them for dvd releases is one of the most BS reasons I've heard yet. This is the kind of show that deserves the best treatment a network can give, but Nick seems to think crap like "Naked Brothers Band" deserves better promotion. Sad...but that's how things go.
Old 2008-05-08, 06:08   Link #133
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
leave it to America to kill a goldmine when it comes to Animation, when i see Unprofessional disasters like this
True. I was really enjoying Avatar during the first couple seasons, but with this slow and sporadic release of the current season I have come to pretty much lose interest in it.
Old 2008-05-08, 06:12   Link #134
Clarste
Human

Huh, Avatar. I just recently watched the whole thing, after having never seen an episode or even a screenshot since it aired, so I guess I'm a bit late to the party as it were. Anyway, thoughts:

1. Earthbending is really surprisingly cool. My hat goes off the animators for taking what's generally the most boring kind of elemental magic (we shoot rocks, whee!) and turning it into a visual feast, both the effects and the way the benders themselves create them. There's something really solid about it and it really makes me appreciate shape and form in a way I've never imagined. Have I finally discovered the true meaning of art? ...probably not, but it feels like it, that's how impressed I am. Even if the rest of the show sucked (which it doesn't), it'd have been worth watching for those scenes. Add Toph into the equation, and it just gets crazy. Waterbending gets an honorable mention, but it drifts closer to the generic elemental blasts that seem to make fire and air bending less interesting (although the animators seem to have noticed that and given air and fire benders crazy martial arts to make up for it). This leads into my next point:

2. Season one was kinda boring. While I'm tempted to blame this on the distinct lack of earthbending, the more likely explanation is the meandering plot. They're trying to get to the North Pole... for the entire season. Nearly every episode is a crazy self-contained adventure that resolves itself in 24 minutes and then the gang goes back to the road. There're a few notable episodes, but in general it lacked focus. You could probably have cut the whole thing in half without missing much. Well, it wasn't a horrible season, but it didn't really draw me in like the later seasons did, and if I hadn't watched them all in a row I might have given up a few episodes in. However:

3. Three seasons is enough. Obviously, the three seasons are divided into elemental books, and while that may lead one to believe that there should be four, you also have to consider what the books actually represent. Book one is water, and is mostly about Aang and Katara learning waterbending and the culture of the Water Tribe (presumably by showing Sokka and Katara's reactions to everything). Well, it should be anyway, although I admit that's a bit weak. It is when waterbending is mastered though. Book two is earth, and the entire thing takes place when the characters are wandering throughout the Earth Kingdoms and learning earthbending. An earthbender is added to the cast to become Aang's teacher. Book three is fire, and what do you know, takes place in the Fire Nation. Emphasis is made on how Aang is rushing into things by attacking before mastering fire, and a firebender (eventually) joins them. Now, this is the important part, book four can't happen. Why? Because they're dead, Dave. There are no Air Nomads, and Aang is already a master airbender. There's nothing that could possibly happen in this book that fits thematically, unless they tried to draw out his last step of mastering/regaining his Avatarness into a season long meditation session, which is not recommended, imo. PS: I hope I never have to type or say the words "Air Nomads" ever again. I feel dirty now.

4. Delaying the episodes is stupid. I don't get it.

Oh, and in case it's not clear, I really liked Avatar. I wouldn't feel compelled to rant about it if I didn't.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-09, 09:30   Link #135
servidor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
4. Delaying the episodes is stupid. I don't get it.
If you think that's supid, just let me tell you that today many people will receive in advance copies of "Sozin's Comet" a "book" that adapts the events of the last four episodes of "Avatar"; skipping 2 episodes (316 and 317) that may have a great relevance for those who support some "ship". This book is aimed at kids from 8 to 10, so don't expect literary wonders. Nick wil air the remaining episodes in July, and I belive after the DVD release .

If you are sensible about been spoiled about the finale of this series, I recomend you to stay away from the internet till July .
servidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-09, 09:37   Link #136
klowny
OH NO

i saw the boiling rock episodes and it was great but the delays are annoying. i'll wait for the next episode's though because its a show worth waiting for than finishing right now

also i heard about the DVD situation, found it in brazil?? wonder who's responsible for making us wait
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-09, 19:06   Link #137
Angelic
Feel the Beat

I heard there would be a 4th season: Book of Air to wrap up avatar.
Angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-09, 19:32   Link #138
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Would almost think that no 4th season would almost be fitting. With the airbenders annihilated just seems like they could end things with 3.
Old 2008-05-09, 19:37   Link #139
Sci-Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelicxx View Post
I heard there would be a 4th season: Book of Air to wrap up avatar.
Doubt it. The last news:
Quote:
(UPDATED April 11, 2008) Nickelodeon has contacted Toon Zone News to state that information in a media flyer available on-line is out-of-date and inaccurate. There is still no information on when new episodes of Avatar will air, and no new information about future Avatar projects yet.

Avatar: The Last Airbender will get a four-part finale this May, and Nickelodeon will launch a "global gaming event" linked to the show this fall, according to a media flyer put together by the network.

Nickelodeon will also produce three original one-hour TV movies for broadcast in the fall of 2009 to accompany next year's planned release of M. Night Shyamalan's big-screen adaptation of the show.
So after the 4-parter, fans can look forward to 3 movies. Then if the live action is successful, that will be your only 'new' avatar fix.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 10:53   Link #140
cat746

Send a message via ICQ to cat746 Send a message via MSN to cat746
If they are going to do movies about avatar, I believe that they need to have the same voices otherwise it just won't be avatar anymore, now so far the actor of Aang (Zach Eisen) is 15, so in a couple of years time he should easily have a more mature voice to act Aang out as being older, and if he's any sort of actor he should be able to make himself sound at least a few years older than he actually is going to be at the time, so I have No idea why they are going to try and ruin the movies by having someone different do Aang, Zach obviously has Aang's character down pat and pulls it off brilliantly. The actor of Toph (Jessie Flower) is only a year younger than Zach Eisen, and you have the same points with her as to why not to change the voice, and from what I can gather the rest of the cast is 18 years or older now, so unless there is some type of accident with the person, they Really shouldn't change any of the voices unless the have a darned good excuse! the cast as it is has been brilliantly selected and quite obviously work very well together, otherwise very few of us would be watching it, cos there is nothing worse than having picked a cast that don't work well together and/or don't do a good job of getting into the character. If they start changing voices I believe it will ruin the movies for the fans, they do it every now and then especially in sequals of movies and it really does just ruin the whole movie, and I don't want to see it happen to this wonderful series!

In any case I Really liked “The Boiling Rock” part I and II, they were really interesting episodes, and they had all that fun quirkiness all the way through them and of course those uncomfortable silences/comments between Sokka and Zuko
Spoiler for Boiling Rock Part I and II:

One thought as to the "4th Season" is that i don't Think there will be one, but If there was one, it would be that once the fire nation has been disabled and Zuko rules it and peace is throughout the land ECT. a group of Air Benders will suddenly appear out of nowhere, even if it was just some apprentice air benders got away in all the chaos and found each other and hid away then set out to locate any children that then developed air bending, it is always possible that something like that happened, but if the Fire Nation did manage to completely wipe them out, there would have to be some people in regular towns that develop the different bending techniques, all you would need is for an earth bender to marry an air bender a few generations before the fall of the air benders and it would crop up in the air benders great great great great grandchild, so i believe there will be some air benders somewhere that are keeping there skills very quiet, and that Aang will endevour to locate them, but whether they can make a season on that i don't know, it could well just be added as an Epilogue to the series like a "10 years later" thing, that's my thoughts anyway.
cat746 is offline   Reply With Quote