AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 02
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 36 19.78%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 49 26.92%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 43 23.63%
7 out of 10: Good... 32 17.58%
6 out of 10: Average... 16 8.79%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 0.55%
4 out of 10: Poor... 2 1.10%
3 out of 10: Bad... 1 0.55%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.10%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-14, 16:52   Link #61
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
p.s. what is an "Aria" in the context of this show?
short for "Aria in the Starless Night", the short/side story which episode 2 is based upon, as it was not part of the published novel.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 16:58   Link #62
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

I've conforted myself to the idea that "Hell Asuna just popped up in Vol 1 with no back story, why complain now?" XP

Oh the bane of reading Light Novels.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 16:59   Link #63
Zakoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
For the best? Really? That's a little surprising to hear..

Would you mind telling us what exactly got changed?
I will put everything in spoil.

Spoiler for bla bla bla:
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 17:01   Link #64
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
The premiere stopped when the boss died, everything in one part (= 10 minutes), if you think that this episode was rushed, just imagine how "rushed" it was back then. They upgraded pretty nicely, and cute Asuna is cute obviously.
Wasn't the premiere only showing the boss fight and not the whole episode? Of course it's going to feel rushed in comparison, it was like half the episode.

[cut]

Last edited by james0246; 2012-07-14 at 17:24. Reason: please, no hints to future events...
Shinji103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 17:09   Link #65
Avaricia
My Lord

Quote:

Spoiler for
[COLOR="Red"
:

Didn't Diabel died because he was being too greedy?
Avaricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 17:14   Link #66
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

read the manga

read the Novel

watched the raw

was disappointed but remebers Japans in Depression and is cosntanly being bullied by china and south korea
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 17:14   Link #67
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlystrike View Post
Didn't Diabel died because he was being too greedy?
FYI, that's straying into the novel territory which will be Mod hammered. Watch out.
Old 2012-07-14, 17:17   Link #68
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Minor portion of the story? How is the introduction of the heroine who is clearly going to be an important and influential figure minor? What about her origin? It adds to her character to know how she was at first, which heavily got axed to the point of the anime viewers not knowing what she's really like.
Eh. The novel did fine just introducing her as a friend of Kirito's and fleshing out her story a bit later. And without mentioning that they were supposed to be together in the Floor 1 Boss Fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRanger View Post
a rather iffy episode compared to the first.

Did Kirito act like villainy as a way to unite the rest of the players? Or just so none of the other players would bother him since he's more of a solo guy? It wasn't really properly explained or done well.
So there'd be no witch hunt against other beta testers.

Quote:
Also, Asuna's dumb gamer girl thing didn't exactly mesh well. You really didn't notice that party members names were in the upper left? You ever play any online games before?
Nope. Why she's in SAO as a noob may be explained later (not that it's all that important). But there was no skill or experience requirement - you just had to get your hands on a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
For what is a relatively minor portion of the story? where does it stop? two episodes for this, two episodes for that, next thing you know we'd need 50+ episodes just to keep people happy.
I'd have preferred that Aria be skipped entirely, personally. I'm not too fond of Aria in the first place (I don't think it fits with what we learn in the main novel ), and the changes make me think the episode was rather pointless.

Spoiler for Fact from the novel not mentioned in the anime:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-14 at 23:10. Reason: added spoiler tag for novel info not presented in episode
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 17:18   Link #69
trinitem
Dedicated Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Sounds to me like people want them to adapt EVERYTHING.

It's never going to happen, in ANY adaptation, that is the very nature of adaptations, deal with it.
I'm gonna have to agree with you on that.

Spoiler for Comparison to the novels:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-14 at 23:11.
trinitem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 17:18   Link #70
Avaricia
My Lord

Spoiler for Diabel:

lol wasn't he being greedy in episode 2? he even smiled when he engaged the boss i didn't say anything about the novel lol
Avaricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 17:18   Link #71
lansglenn

Diabel was soooo cool; I wish we had more time w/ him. His character looked great and he was truly worthy of being called a knight.

I love the town's BG music added with its ambient lighting at night -- it created a magical yet quiet melancholy atmosphere, which fit the situation perfectly. Makes me really wish to have been there at that time, as odd as it sounds, at least to provide the food and drinks if anything.

Glad I did not read this side story beforehand so difference in novel vs anime disappointment does not exist.
I'm sure the novel's bread scene had more significance, but the anime version felt special, beautiful yet sombre all the same did it not? When Asuna was explaining to Kirito her reason for fighting, she spoke is such a calm whispered voice that blended in so well with the background music as it faded in and played. I felt the significance and beauty of that moment was portrayed very well.

Kind of sad that only a few groups were in the first boss raid. I expected a ton more people raid-ready for early game content, but maybe off-screen situations and scheduling differences affected everyone gathering at the same time.

Shouldn't Kirito have Klein's contact info / friendlisted already by now? Just so he can PM Klein whenever. This negatively affected the sigficiance of flashback to Klein during kobold fight.

Score 9/10 (-1 for Diabel's poor reason for refusing a potion that would've saved his life. That was unjustifiable.)

PS. Very much looking forward to the town BG music in the OST on release. I'm a huge sucker for harp.
Old 2012-07-14, 17:19   Link #72
Ray
Garnet

Quote:

Spoiler for bla bla bla:
10 minutes?! Whoa; it must've been pretty bad then. I was pretty satisfied with this episode, though.

Diabel never died..? That would've really changed the overall atmosphere of the episode, not to mention that the ending would've been completely different.

As for the cute Asuna, there's an avatar of that scene in the avatar and signature request thread in this sub forum (first post). First come, first served ~
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 17:24   Link #73
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitem View Post
People's expectations are getting out of hand. They want fluid animation for every thread on the coat of midnight. Baths, barns, and rats are necessary. We need ALL branches of the story on screen.
You realize that you and kyp275 are WAY overexagerrating, right? I've heard different people wishing different things had been included, but I see at most a handful of people who wanted EVERYTHING included. (and even then I'm only saying "a handful of people" for leeway, I didn't really notice anybody who said they wanted everything) I myself only wanted one thing from the novels, not the bath scene or bringing in Argo.

Basically you and kyp275 are taking all the different negative opinions on the episode and trying to mash them into one. (taking all the people who wanted different scenes from the novel animated and saying that everybody wanted everything) That doesn't quite work in this context.
Old 2012-07-14, 17:25   Link #74
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

i liked the character development and introduction here, though it feels and from the comments here it actually was a big time leap, i would have liked to know more of how were things in that first mont, the figth with the kobold was good but it lacked some impact, we hardly seen how thay took the first 3 hp bars of illfang, and i can really see why people like asuna, i really like how she was badass, and no the dameesel in distress neither the leroy jenkins that need to be saved over and over.
Old 2012-07-14, 17:28   Link #75
Algent

I didn't read that short story (I will probably do it just after posting that) so I can't say about that.
But this episode wasn't bad , you can't really feel it's rushed, there is no boring exposition while they managed to explain to the viewers: beaters, the guide book (& it's origin), Boss fights, introduced the black guy.
They also introduced Asuna as a mmo noob (with some talents to fight) and a bit depressive who seem to only be ok mentally when fighting.
This will avoid them some long "exposition" episodes like AW had.
Algent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 17:30   Link #76
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
FYI, that's straying into the novel territory which will be Mod hammered. Watch out.
Comparisons, as so long as the info won't pop up later, are fine. That's why I do not care about the oft mentioned rat and sauna (as so long as they are not discussed in depth).

Quote:
Bread and cream was plenty for the time being. That piece of bread disapppppeaared.... We also did get a glimpse into her thoughts with the first town inn dialogue.
Agreed. Much was said in that simple scene (much the same as their separation), and very little of is was said with dialogue. That is film making 101.

Quote:
Well done Kirito. You coined the Beater term magnificently. Sinister voice wins. "That" was what the episode was about.
I forgot to mention this previously, but I really like the idea of a Beater. I don't know if that is a real thing in the gaming world or not, but it is a very interesting concept that I hope is used throughout this series (please, no one tell me if it is or is not used).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 17:32   Link #77
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansglenn View Post
Score 9/10 (-1 for Diabel's poor reason for refusing a potion that would've saved his life. That was unjustifiable.)
The healing items in lower floors aren't very good. Just assume it wouldn't have saved him and he didn't want to waste it. (In the novel, his HP bar was completely depleted. He had time for some last words which were cut off, but there was no way to save him.)

To anime only viewers: don't you think the boss looked a bit too easy to beat? Even with Kirito's knowledge of his attack patterns, it was supposed to take the who raiding group. Though I realize it would have been tedious to see.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 17:34   Link #78
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansglenn View Post

Kind of sad that only a few groups were in the first boss raid. I expected a ton more people raid-ready for early game content, but maybe off-screen situations and scheduling differences affected everyone gathering at the same time.
not really. Remember you die for real in this game, no reset. I expect most people if they are sticking it safe in first city to be leveling up and upgrading their equipment cautiously. In my case i tend to grind a lot early on for levels and cash so the early part of a game are easier.
Old 2012-07-14, 17:37   Link #79
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
To anime only viewers: don't you think the boss looked a bit too easy to beat? Even with Kirito's knowledge of his attack patterns, it was supposed to take the who raiding group. Though I realize it would have been tedious to see.
LOL, I must not play enough RPGs because I though the boss was overpowered for Level 1. It was simple, yet extremely brutal.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 17:47   Link #80
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
LOL, I must not play enough RPGs because I though the boss was overpowered for Level 1. It was simple, yet extremely brutal.
I actually thought that too, the boss was freaking overpowered. Changing attack patterns on Level 1? Damn...
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion