AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-26, 00:57   Link #4101
LynnieS

One problem with stopping the refueling mission that I see is there isn't many other ways to (1) help the Afghan people and (2) promote Japan's interests globally. It can just dump money into the region in the form of grants, but that can open it up to claims of "buying good will" or "helping 'corrupt' leaders". Putting civilians on the ground also risks their being taken for ransom or random killings; soldiers, you would hope, would at least be able to defend themselves while civilians need to be protected. Not to mention their needing to know when and when not to interfere.

Mixed-race contestant causes debate in China's "Go! Oriental Angel" TV show
Quote:
In many ways, Lou Jing is a typical young woman from Shanghai. Pretty and confident, she speaks Mandarin heavily accented with the lilting tones of the Shanghai dialect and browses the malls of this huge city for the latest fashions.

But there is one thing that distinguishes this 20-year-old from her peers, something that has made her the unwitting focus of an intense public debate about what exactly it means to be Chinese: the color of her skin. Born to a Chinese mother and an African-American father whom she has never met, the theater student rocketed into the public consciousness last month when she took part in an American Idol[EN]esque TV show, Go! Oriental Angel.
Interesting debate. China is made of different groups of people, small kingdoms and etc. that over time, merged or were forced to merge into one empire that later became a country. There is a saying that can be translated as "Those who are not of my group/race are suspect and not to be trusted." Aside from the skin color and mixed race, there is also the fact her parents never married, which from a Confucianism POV, can be a problem. On the plus side, her being a university student and her mother successfully raising her by herself (with no help from the father?) are both good, IMHO.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2009-09-26, 15:41   Link #4102
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Hatoyama sounds more and more like a generic politician to me. No brains and only interested in fame.

The reason why US keeps an airbase in Okinawa and not another part of Japan is for strategic purposes.

Being cut off from the mainland means the airbase would be subjected to a less likely possibility of land invasion, and with sufficient anti-air and anti-ship defence, it is already considered well defended. Another thing is that it is both near to South Korea and Taiwan, allowing a force to be effectively projected into Taiwan or South Korea in an event of invasion from NK or China. Lastly, the noise pollution from the aircraft would be "isolated" from the general population.

Hatoyama wants Japan to recover from the decade-long recession, but he also needs to realise the strategic importance of Japan in East Asia, militarily. The world isn't just run by money.
Actually, I think Hatoyama's idea is a very good one.

I do not think China would simply invade Japan out of the blue. Instead, the more likely possibility would be North Korea to do the invasion but as you can see, North Korea's military power shouldn't stand up against the SDF. For that matter, the role of American soldiers in Okinawa is simply a waste of Japanese taxpayers' money. You do know of the sympathy budget, do you not?

However, rather than receiving proper protection as the treaty claims over granting a weighty sympathy budget, the majority of the soldiers are not doing their jobs properly. Firstly, some of the soldiers are committing crimes against local civilians. Secondly, the noise pollution caused by early aircraft drills are no doubt a huge annoyance and would cause sleepless nights or more likely, lack of sleep as that many people are awaken when one aircraft flies by after another.

In other words, you are totally getting the idea entirely wrong. What does this having anything to do with money in the first place? This also has nothing to do with recovering the recession either. Aside from that, what Hatoyama seeks is not fame as that he is just trying to fulfill the will of the local Okinawans are had been very unhappy for awhile over the presence of foreign military individuals in the region. Thus, Hatoyama seeks to remove the obstacle to their happiness. Is it wrong?

A generic politician is one who cares about what the military individuals and also the government of another nations' feelings on domestic political issues whereas Hatoyama is one who cares about the feelings of the Okinawans instead. What I am trying to say is that you are getting the wrong idea. Hatoyama is quite considerate as both a leader and an individual when it comes to Japan-US relations.

----

DPJ AT THE HELM / PM pushes E. Asia grouping / In talks with China's Hu, Hatoyama also discusses oil field issue

Quote:
Hatoyama also urged Hu to start negotiations for a bilateral treaty covering the joint development by Japan and China of disputed gas fields in the East China Sea.

"I want to change the sea of problems into the sea of fraternity," Hatoyama said.

In response, Hu pointed out the importance of cooperation between the two countries over the gas field development issue and proposed launching working-level talks in the near future.

"It should be a sea of peace, friendship and cooperation," Hu said.

Hu made five proposals. He called for more frequent top-level mutual visits; stronger and more advanced cooperation on the economy and trade; improvement in the mutual sentiments of the people of the two nations; promotion of cooperation in addressing Asian and global issues; and appropriately solving differences in opinion between the two countries.
It seems an understanding of some sort has finally been made. This is very much like...Ryu ga Gotoku 2!

Hatoyama is a lot like Terada who seeks to form a friendly peace treaty with China who is kind of like the Omi Rengo in which Hu Jintao is sort of like Goda Jin. Generally, this is going smoothly and in the positive direction. However, I am pretty sure that tons of "Goda Ryuji" on both sides will be resolved to take action to wreck it as that not everybody desire peace and friendship between the two nations. Let's see how things turn out...

Last edited by Shadow Kira01; 2009-09-26 at 15:54.
Old 2009-09-26, 21:32   Link #4103
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
Actually, I think Hatoyama's idea is a very good one.

I do not think China would simply invade Japan out of the blue. Instead, the more likely possibility would be North Korea to do the invasion but as you can see, North Korea's military power shouldn't stand up against the SDF. For that matter, the role of American soldiers in Okinawa is simply a waste of Japanese taxpayers' money. You do know of the sympathy budget, do you not?

However, rather than receiving proper protection as the treaty claims over granting a weighty sympathy budget, the majority of the soldiers are not doing their jobs properly. Firstly, some of the soldiers are committing crimes against local civilians. Secondly, the noise pollution caused by early aircraft drills are no doubt a huge annoyance and would cause sleepless nights or more likely, lack of sleep as that many people are awaken when one aircraft flies by after another.

In other words, you are totally getting the idea entirely wrong. What does this having anything to do with money in the first place? This also has nothing to do with recovering the recession either. Aside from that, what Hatoyama seeks is not fame as that he is just trying to fulfill the will of the local Okinawans are had been very unhappy for awhile over the presence of foreign military individuals in the region. Thus, Hatoyama seeks to remove the obstacle to their happiness. Is it wrong?

A generic politician is one who cares about what the military individuals and also the government of another nations' feelings on domestic political issues whereas Hatoyama is one who cares about the feelings of the Okinawans instead. What I am trying to say is that you are getting the wrong idea. Hatoyama is quite considerate as both a leader and an individual when it comes to Japan-US relations.
I do understand your point of view, but what I am actually pointing at is the strategic location of putting the airbase on Okinawa. Basically that place is like a forward base to run airstrikes with ease towards NK or defending China.

Most countries in the EA region are within range of NK's MRBMs, plus with nuclear technology which NK might use indiscriminately to forward their own regional interests. Recently SK has claimed that it has enough jets to take out important NK missile installations, but I don't think that is enough with the latter buying AA technology from China and Russia.

The American soldiers there are not always committing crimes. They are almost 24/7 in the base with only a few nights out, and most of them are decent enough not to partake in things like that rape case a few months ago (or is it last year?).

I thought they would never bring an end to this bullshit. It has taken too long, but better late than never.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-09-27, 06:43   Link #4104
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, on the base in Okinawa, how about having Japanese troops there, instead of US troops? Also, I'm not sure who is footing the bill on the use of the base. Maybe, that's why the status quo remains.
Old 2009-09-27, 20:54   Link #4105
Shadow Kira01

Japan, China, S. Korea to eye N. Korea, E. Asia group plan

Quote:
The foreign ministers of Japan, China and South Korea will hold a one-day meeting Monday in Shanghai, with trilateral coordination in addressing North Korea's nuclear ambitions and Japan's proposal for the creation of an ''East Asian community'' high on the agenda.
Korean Families Begin Brief Reunions after Half Century Separation

Quote:
North and South Korean families have begun the process of meeting with long lost relatives separated by the Korean divide. Most are in their 80s or older, and have not seen each other for more than 50 years.

More than 90 South Koreans passed through checkpoints Saturday to cross the heavily armed border between North and South Korea, on their way to bittersweet reunions half a century in the making.

Buses transported the elderly South Koreans to North Korea's Kumgang Mountain resort, where they got the chance to see family members they left behind in the early 1950s.
China Urges Burma to Protect Rights of Chinese Nationals

Quote:
China has urged Burma to take effective measures to safeguard the rights of Chinese citizens in Burma.

The Chinese foreign ministry said on its Web site Saturday that consular affairs department chief Wei Wei conveyed Beijing's concerns at a meeting with an official from Burma's embassy.

The release said Wei met on September 21 with Kyi Kyi Sein, minister counselor of the Burma Embassy.

Wei urged Burma to investigate reports that military conflicts in northern Burma in August had harmed the rights and interests of Chinese citizens living there.

Tens of thousands of refugees fled across the border into China to escape fighting between the Burmese army and ethnic rebels in Kokang, a mainly ethnic Chinese region of Burma's Shan state.
Old 2009-09-27, 22:42   Link #4106
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Floods in the Philippines worst in decades

Quote:
A massive rescue operation is under way in the Philippines where at least 73 people are confirmed to have been killed in the wake of torrential rains.

Tropical Storm Ketsana triggered the worst flooding in decades in the capital Manila and nearby provinces.

Defence Secretary Gilbert Teodoro said troops, police and civilian volunteers had rescued more than 4,000 people - many clinging to each other on roofs.

More than 250,000 have been driven from their homes, officials say.
I just watched the BBC's coverage on its international television news service and the devastation, especially in Manila, is frightening. I hope we soon hear from our friends in the Philippines that they are okay.
Old 2009-09-28, 04:09   Link #4107
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Floods in the Philippines worst in decades

I just watched the BBC's coverage on its international television news service and the devastation, especially in Manila, is frightening. I hope we soon hear from our friends in the Philippines that they are okay.
Rains stopped and weather nice and dry now. Massive relief operations underway. Extensive damage to everything. I and everyone I know was affected in some way. Volunteerism seen in levels never seen before.
Old 2009-09-28, 04:29   Link #4108
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I'm sort of stuck at home due to the floods. The Marikina area is still mostly underwater so I should be thankful that I didn't go to my friend's party which was cancelled, or else I'd still be there cold and hungry. Heck classes have been suspended today and tomorrow.

I had to change 3 of the 4 tires on one of our cars due to flood damage, drag them to get vulcanized on the only functional tire shop that wasn't packed with other car owners, and put them back when I got home. My back hurts like shit.

The hospital I study in recently got flooded and they're organizing a cleanup especially for the ER and the charity wards to help accomodate victims of the floods. Sadly I can't go join because no one's home to help my mother and sister.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2009-09-28 at 04:45.
Old 2009-09-28, 05:47   Link #4109
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I approve of this. I think it is time for EA to take action against NK themselves rather than waiting for US to deploy a missile shield around them.

Quote:
OMG China please don't be like NATO (No Action, Talk Only). You know the Burma rulers are pretty resistant to prodding.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-09-28, 09:19   Link #4110
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

@SH: Try telling the alternate meaning of NATO to Germany. They do have more than 4000 troops in Afghanistan. But, yeah, many NATO members are NATO.
Old 2009-09-28, 20:30   Link #4111
Shadow Kira01

Russia, China Urge Iran to Cooperate With IAEA

Quote:
Russia and China are urging Iran to cooperate with the International Atomic Energy Agency on any probe of its newly revealed uranium enrichment plant.
Part of the reason why Iran is going nuclear could be blamed on Israel who has been launching military attacks of all sorts against Muslims in general, such as kicking civilians out of their homes over Jewish settlements, dropping white phosphorus on Gazans, as well as other types of inappropriate military movements. Taking this both in the aspect of self-defense and also as an excuse, Iran went nuclear. Generally, Iran is planning to nuke Israel while Israel have plans on nuking Iran. Kind of like mutual hatred..

US threats rule out peace in Korea: North's envoy

Quote:
"To eliminate the nuclear threat from the Korean peninsula and denuclearise the peninsula is the consistent policy of the DPRK," Ja, speaking through a translator, told the Royal United Services Institute security think-tank in London.

"With the continuation of the status quo, I doubt there can ever be genuine peace and security.

"We have rejected the six-party talks because the six-party talks are not based on impartiality and equality.

"If our national sovereignty is respected and if there is no nuclear threat against our country, then the nuclear weapons from the DPRK will go."
If North Korea is planning on keeping their words, I don't see why the US shouldn't back out on nuking them as that it is unnecessary to begin with. More over, its not like the United States will actually do anything about it in the first place as that the US is just making nuclear bluffs. In order to have regional stability and a denuclearized North Korea, perhaps it is a good idea to accept some of their conditions. I mean.. There really is no point to have the conclusion of North Korea launching nukes at Japan while the United States secretly launch nukes off of its military bases in Japan. That can be prevented!

Israelis, Palestinians Clash in Jerusalem Ahead of Yom Kippur

Quote:
Israelis and Palestinians clashed Sunday at a Jerusalem shrine ahead of a Jewish High Holy Day. Police say nine Israeli police officers and more than a dozen Palestinians were injured.
Their clashes are becoming very much like a common "everyday" thing like the gunfights off the US-Mexican borders involving drug cartels but the only difference is that the ones who die here are all non-combatant civilians who just wanted to live in peace. Thus, I believe both the IDF and the Hamas are no doubt responsible for so many casualties in such a short period of time. The United Nations should dispatch some peacekeepers into the region and take down both sides of hostilities as that it seems very necessary.

Backers begin push to get pot measure on ballot

Quote:
"In this time of economic uncertainty, it's time we thought outside the box and brought in revenue we need to restore the California dream," he said.
That's a great method to recover the faltering economy, legalizing marijuana is no doubt a great idea considering how large the demand is out there. More over, its not like that cannabis can cause negative health concerns either. Lots of people smoke cannabis yet the world population is not on the decline. Generally, I believe that it is a good idea for the world to legalize cannabis and that the government bodies should sell it instead, just like tobacco.

If it ever gets legalized, the chances of Mexican drug wars will not be appearing and the numbers of deaths involving the issue will be on the decline significantly. Its no doubt a win-win situation where everybody is happy!

Gunmen kill 2 Canadian men at Mexican beach resort

Quote:
The gunman then chased Ivans to the pool area and shot him. Witnesses said two other gunmen arrived minutes later and repeatedly shot the dead or dying Canadians, Diaz said. The men fled and no arrests have been made.

Diaz said Ivans was carrying a handgun, though he apparently was not able to use it before he was shot. It is unusual for people in Mexico, particularly foreigners, to carry handguns. It was not clear if Ivans had a permit.
I can't believe it...

The guy had ran away even though he was armed. And out of so many places to run away to, he ran to his death without ever pulling out his own handgun. *shakes head*
Old 2009-09-28, 21:18   Link #4112
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Part of the reason why Iran is going nuclear could be blamed on Israel
Oh, please. It could also be blamed on America, who only seems to launch attacks against non-nuclear nations, couldn't it? It could also be blamed on a nation's development, because nuclear energy is just the next step required to meet growing energy demands, isn't it? Iran doesn't seem particularly friendly to the western powers (essentially all of which are nuclear powers) - going nuclear couldn't possibly be their way of trying to be on even standing with them, could it? Your bringing Israel up was completely uncalled for.

Quote:
More over, its not like that cannabis can cause negative health concerns either. Lots of people smoke cannabis yet the world population is not on the decline.
Lots of people smoke cigarettes, too, yet the world population isn't on the decline. That means cigarettes are 100% safe too, right?

Cannabis does have negative health consequences. They tend to pale in comparison to the health consequences derived from cigarettes, however. I'd much prefer that marijuana were legalized and cigarettes were outright banned. The present state of affairs is somewhat confusing.
Old 2009-09-28, 22:04   Link #4113
mg1942

(DOH!) Roman Polanski arrested in Switzerland

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/378af0e0-a...44feabdc0.html
Old 2009-09-28, 22:23   Link #4114
Hage-bai
Banned

Quote:
Russia, China Urge Iran to Cooperate With IAEA

Part of the reason why Iran is going nuclear could be blamed on Israel who has been launching military attacks of all sorts against Muslims in general, such as kicking civilians out of their homes over Jewish settlements, dropping white phosphorus on Gazans, as well as other types of inappropriate military movements. Taking this both in the aspect of self-defense and also as an excuse, Iran went nuclear. Generally, Iran is planning to nuke Israel while Israel have plans on nuking Iran. Kind of like mutual hatred..

Israelis, Palestinians Clash in Jerusalem Ahead of Yom Kippur

Their clashes are becoming very much like a common "everyday" thing like the gunfights off the US-Mexican borders involving drug cartels but the only difference is that the ones who die here are all non-combatant civilians who just wanted to live in peace. Thus, I believe both the IDF and the Hamas are no doubt responsible for so many casualties in such a short period of time. The United Nations should dispatch some peacekeepers into the region and take down both sides of hostilities as that it seems very necessary.

LOL.

You might as well blame the Pakistanis (or to be politically correct - a certain Pakistani) then for leaking nuclear technology throughout the middle east and N. Korea.

The U.N is actually good for something in the middle east conflict. Yessums...taking it up the rear that is. See Lebanon. What a sham that organization has become.
Old 2009-09-28, 22:31   Link #4115
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post

Lots of people smoke cigarettes, too, yet the world population isn't on the decline. That means cigarettes are 100% safe too, right?

Cannabis does have negative health consequences. They tend to pale in comparison to the health consequences derived from cigarettes, however. I'd much prefer that marijuana were legalized and cigarettes were outright banned. The present state of affairs is somewhat confusing.
If Cigarettes were introduced today, it'd be banned just like marijuana. However, the cigarette corporation is too big to let something like that happen. The people who want a 'pure' society will have to make do banning the rest of the batch.
Old 2009-09-28, 23:29   Link #4116
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Why would anybody want to ban cigarettes after legalizing cannabis?

I think both tobacco and cannabis would definitely prevent lots of gunfights, as well as help recover the economy as that there is a huge demand for both products. Generally, I support lowering the taxes on tobacco and legalizing marijuana. Great idea!
Old 2009-09-28, 23:44   Link #4117
LynnieS

Quote:
You are thinking of MAD? In terms of Iran, I see it as more of a nationalism thing - i.e., Look at us! We are strong and powerful! - but a certain amount of self-protection could play a part as well. In today's world, what gets you a seat with the big boys isn't just a strong economy but a strong military, and military might is determined by the amount of power you are able to project over distance. That means aircraft carriers and more importantly, nuclear weapons. Having both help, but of the 2 (economy vs military), military is more important.

Self-sufficiency in energy is the least likely out of these 3.

Quote:
If North Korea is planning on keeping their words, I don't see why the US shouldn't back out on nuking them as that it is unnecessary to begin with. More over, its not like the United States will actually do anything about it in the first place as that the US is just making nuclear bluffs. In order to have regional stability and a denuclearized North Korea, perhaps it is a good idea to accept some of their conditions. I mean.. There really is no point to have the conclusion of North Korea launching nukes at Japan while the United States secretly launch nukes off of its military bases in Japan. That can be prevented!
It has not yet been proven that the U.S. can launch nuclear-armed missiles from its bases in Japan. Furthermore, I seriously doubt that South Korea would agree to the U.S. using these weapons to attack fellow Koreans - not unless South Korea is on the verge of falling; even then, it's a bit doubtful. (Of course, whether the U.S. or other Asian countries would care what South Korea thinks at that point, no idea. )

North Korea hasn't proven itself to be a master of its commitments in the past. One way of seeing that is it was "forced" into building and selling weapons by others, but an equally plausible explanation is that it continues to make demands without honoring its earlier commitments and then backtrack when other countries do not agree.

Quote:
This, IMHO, is a naive way of looking at the situation - although by the end, I really don't see much beyond Israel's destruction (although how much of the M.E. would be left is still up for debate).

Quote:
That's a great method to recover the faltering economy, legalizing marijuana is no doubt a great idea considering how large the demand is out there. More over, its not like that cannabis can cause negative health concerns either. Lots of people smoke cannabis yet the world population is not on the decline. Generally, I believe that it is a good idea for the world to legalize cannabis and that the government bodies should sell it instead, just like tobacco.

If it ever gets legalized, the chances of Mexican drug wars will not be appearing and the numbers of deaths involving the issue will be on the decline significantly. Its no doubt a win-win situation where everybody is happy!
Parts of the U.S. are already looking to legalize marijuana use further - if only to use it to add to the tax base. Marijuana is, as Ledgem said, not 100% safe and can cause health problems. You also cannot determine that legalizing marijuana will stop drug-related violence due to importing. If this was to happen, I definitely see an initial escalation of violence as the "outsiders" attempt to get an "in" for the U.S. markets in order to get a cut of the profits.

Quote:
I can't believe it...

The guy had ran away even though he was armed. And out of so many places to run away to, he ran to his death without ever pulling out his own handgun. *shakes head*
Not enough information presented to tell. If the gunman who came up to the 2 Canadians was armed with a automatic weapon, I would run also. Staying to fight in certain situations - e.g., out-armed, out-numbered, etc. - is dangerous and suicidal. Unless you have faced a guy who was pointing a gun at you, it's hard to tell how a person will react; some people freeze, some people attack, and others may pee themselves.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2009-09-29, 10:18   Link #4118
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

1) Like most drugs, Cannabis has positive and negative attributes. It'd be nice to allow for the positive uses rather than being ideological about it.

2) Israel has bombed Iranian nuclear reactor facilities before... but they aren't the root of the drive for Iran to be nuclear. Iran wants to be a power player in the region. They see that North Korea gets treated far differently than, say, Iraq (good job, US, :P). They actually do need commercial nuclear power. Do we trust particular power factions in Iran? No. Of course, we're also not sure if the North Koreans are being savvy or screw-loose at any given instant.

The weird thing is that possession of nuclear weapons is essentially "game over" for the possessor. The combination of MAD and hamstringing (cultural genocide if used) pretty much forces negotiation ... I could foresee the US and Russia eventually pointing a pile of missiles at every nuclear country in the world for "Use in case of use" :P Both countries have plenty of spare missiles to assign after all... (some weird version of the original "The Day The Earth Stood Still").
Old 2009-09-29, 10:43   Link #4119
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Kashmir girl fights off militants
Badass! Those Militants should have thought twice for trying to mess with that girls family.
Old 2009-09-29, 10:55   Link #4120
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Kashmir girl fights off militants
Badass! Those Militants should have thought twice for trying to mess with that girls family.
muwahahaha. Justice are represented by the weak!

Soldiers have the tendency to abuse their (weapons)powers too much, don't they?
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international