AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2006-10-06, 02:07   Link #501
ender
*yawn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1
Code:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r581 | pengvado | 2006-10-05 10:15:55 +0200 (Thu, 05 Oct 2006) | 2 lines

no more vfw
Discuss
Who stole the rest of this post? Otherwise, finally!
Old 2006-10-06, 08:15   Link #502
Harukalover
In exile

I have a feeling that most people who were doing vfw encodes weren't often updating their x264 anyway... -_-

But again its good that its finally removed. Hopefully will phase itself out now and make it that new H264 encoders don't go the vfw path anymore.
Old 2006-10-19, 23:35   Link #503
Nicholi
King of Hosers

I'm sure someone will make a mirror with the last vfw revision as a bastion of hope for the idiot encoders out there. Perhaps Power2Lamers will do it? As he is the obvious expert in why H.264 so totally is meant to be in AVI.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-19, 23:41   Link #504
DryFire
Panda Herder

In an attempt to derail a flame war:

Has anyone had a chance to play with deadzone?
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 13:23   Link #505
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

A larger deadzone causes more coefficients to be rounded to zero, which in turn requires less bits to code at a said quality (or quantizer). It's sort of catch 22 (a better description does not come to mind), larger deadzone zeros more coeffs which reduces filesize (at a said quantizer it would look lower quality than the default deadzone with the same quantizer), but on the otherhand, when encoding to a set filesize, this loss and reduction in bitrate for a said quantizer means you can use lower quantizers for the same bitrate. It's like trellis in the sense that you lose something to gain something, which in turn lowers the total loss.

Obviously lowering the deadzone requires more bitrate. It's basically DCT decimation at the coeff level (remember that is a switch to disable DCT decimation), but IMO DCT decimation is not a bad thing, so long as it is not excessive (as with anything really).

Default values are optimal for RDO, no need to mess with it really, but it might provide an interesting option for low bitrate encodes where detail is not essential, as long as it doesn't block to hell.

It's sort of about finding the lesser of two evils. Detailed + high quants at a set filesize, or not so detailed and lower quants at a set filesize.
Old 2006-10-21, 04:47   Link #506
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

This might be a bit off-topic, but I've been experimenting with x264 encoding what I think might be the evilest source ever of anything....

Basically, I want to encode the replay of my triumphant beating of the extra stage in Pefect Cherry Blossom (see another person's video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPO5giJmdK8 )

The full run is 16 minutes long,and I've captured the video at the full 60 fps (the game runs at that framerate and it looks crappy in comparison at 30 fps), using FRAPS to a 30 gig avi.

I crop out just the playing field so it's 384x448, and then try to encode the sucker.

To give you a concept of how insanely uncompressable this is, with x264 insane settings, and constant quality 18, the average bitrate ends up around 9000 Kbps...

If I set the bitrate to a more reasonable 1700 or so and do it two pass, I get average quants of _34_!!! It looks pretty decent, actually, but should I just give up on getting it compressed well?
Are there some kind of special settings which might help on a source like this?

Quarkboy asks in frustration....

P.S. this would probably make for a great encoder stress test. Also, xvid at 1700 Kbps is a blocky mess, probably 5-6 times worse than the h.264.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 05:24   Link #507
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
This might be a bit off-topic, but I've been experimenting with x264 encoding what I think might be the evilest source ever of anything....

Basically, I want to encode the replay of my triumphant beating of the extra stage in Pefect Cherry Blossom (see another person's video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPO5giJmdK8 )

The full run is 16 minutes long,and I've captured the video at the full 60 fps (the game runs at that framerate and it looks crappy in comparison at 30 fps), using FRAPS to a 30 gig avi.

I crop out just the playing field so it's 384x448, and then try to encode the sucker.

To give you a concept of how insanely uncompressable this is, with x264 insane settings, and constant quality 18, the average bitrate ends up around 9000 Kbps...

If I set the bitrate to a more reasonable 1700 or so and do it two pass, I get average quants of _34_!!! It looks pretty decent, actually, but should I just give up on getting it compressed well?
Are there some kind of special settings which might help on a source like this?

Quarkboy asks in frustration....

P.S. this would probably make for a great encoder stress test. Also, xvid at 1700 Kbps is a blocky mess, probably 5-6 times worse than the h.264.
That's quite a challenge...

(BTW, that video proves that human beings are capable of transcending time, space, and can enter into SEED mode.
Old 2006-10-21, 05:28   Link #508
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
That's quite a challenge...

(BTW, that video proves that human beings are capable of transcending time, space, and can enter into SEED mode.
It's not THAT difficult... took me about a week of practice to beat it....

Unfortunately, that's only the prequal to the hadest stage, "phantasm", which I haven't been able to touch...
Sam Pinansky
Old 2006-10-21, 06:00   Link #509
checkers
Part 8
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to checkers
upload an unprocessed sample That means 60 fields not 60fps! :P
checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 06:27   Link #510
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
what's the diff between pics per sec, fields per sec, and frames per sec?
Old 2006-10-21, 06:36   Link #511
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
what's the diff between pics per sec, fields per sec, and frames per sec?
Well, in this case, I don't know what checkers is talking about... It's captured from a computer screen, so there's no interlacing, it's true 60 frames per second.

normally 60 fields persecond is the same as 30 frames per second, since 1 frame = 2 fields.

And I have no idea what a pic per sec is.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2006-10-21, 06:42   Link #512
checkers
Part 8
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to checkers
err sorry, I was thinking it was a ps2 or some video console game - 60fps is fine then

edit: 60 pics/sec == 60 frames/sec == 60p
60 fields/sec == 60i
checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 07:01   Link #513
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkers View Post
upload an unprocessed sample That means 60 fields not 60fps! :P
Ask, and ye shall receive. Here's a lossless h264 encode of 12 seconds of the demo: (yes I know that it's not ACTUALLY lossless... but the huffy was 320 MB)

go to #Arienai on irc.chatspike.net, and type:

/msg Seekun xdcc send #124

It's 84 MB (for 12 seconds ).
Sam Pinansky
Old 2006-10-21, 07:18   Link #514
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

Without being able to test this first hand, you can only really guess at it. Obviously you want to max all settings if you haven't already done, set a decent amount of max consecutive bframes and set a high b-bias.

The image won't be as "accurate" as the original since it's interpolating (the difference between P frames and B frames), but that sort of loss may be acceptable overall if it lowers the quants; again it's this situation of sacrifice one thing to gain on another which ought to help the video out in general.

Even though 16 minutes is a decent length, you might even be as desperate enough to do a 3 pass (even though I normally would just say that 2 pass is sufficient on sources this long).

Set a decent GOP size too, this will help cut down on the number if I frames used; but I guess this source is mainly P frames, eh? Maybe also set a chroma QP offset, but you have to be careful here, if you go over a certain amount, you tend to lose more than you gain (diminishing returns again). Remember that both chroma planes together are only as large (resolution wise) as half a luma plane, so you really have to sacrifice the choma to make a worthwhile improvement on the luma.

You may use deadzone(!) or a custom matrix. I'm assuming the graphics are jagged as opposed to nice smooth compressible edges. A smoothing matrix may help (or an avisynth filter for that matter).

If you are screamingly desperate, perhaps you could even reduce the horizontal resolution and use anamorphic. I noticed the resolution is odd to begin with, so I don't know if you are already using anamorphic to stretch it to the correct aspect ratio, or if that's how it's supposed to be.

How about posting the x264 output and/or your settings here? Might give us something to go on.
Old 2006-10-21, 07:25   Link #515
lamer_de

Usually the advice for encoding video game footage is to add some motion blur or use strong antialiasing to help compression (but I somehow doubt a 2D game makes use of FSAA settings). There are some older threads on doom9, but they're well, old :P (from 2005 and prior).

CU,
lamer_de
Old 2006-10-22, 11:47   Link #516
Power2All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi View Post
I'm sure someone will make a mirror with the last vfw revision as a bastion of hope for the idiot encoders out there. Perhaps Power2Lamers will do it? As he is the obvious expert in why H.264 so totally is meant to be in AVI.
You fail life.
Power2All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 12:07   Link #517
Medalist
Infie
*Fansubber

Power2Ass you fail...h.264 in avi is a total hack. (b-frames) is a hack in avi. You Power2Ass need to stop sucking avi's dick & learn to encode [Avi isn't the only format out there..there's more suitable containers for the different codec(s)]
Medalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 12:33   Link #518
Power2All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchikatsu View Post
Power2Ass you fail...h.264 in avi is a total hack. (b-frames) is a hack in avi. You Power2Ass need to stop sucking avi's dick & learn to encode [Avi isn't the only format out there..there's more suitable containers for the different codec(s)]
You should learn to stop flaming.
If you never saw my encodes, then you fail even more.
Yah I agree VfW is old and whatever not.
I use it for a purpose you guys don't seem to understand.

About the different codecs out there crap, sorry but AVI is a suitable container and well used (and it's features is good enough what I need).
If your talking about the MKV/OGM/MP4 crap, sorry to dissappoint you, but I don't need MKV/MP4 if AVI suits me enough.
Do you seen me ever releasing a softsub ?
There is your answer.
Power2All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 12:42   Link #519
Harukalover
In exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power2All View Post
You should learn to stop flaming.
If you never saw my encodes, then you fail even more.
You encoded GNU's Otome right? Just wondering why you used an upscaled raw? Since the show is not airing in HD...

Quote:
Yah I agree VfW is old and whatever not.
I use it for a purpose you guys don't seem to understand.
Compatibility I'm guessing? Well H264 in AVI is as incompatible as you can get.

Quote:
About the different codecs out there crap, sorry but AVI is a suitable codec and well used.
AVI is not a codec, it is a container. And no it doesn't support many of the features of the commonly used video standards. (B-Frames in XviD and H264)

Quote:
If your talking about the MKV/OGM/MP4 crap, sorry to dissappoint you, but I don't need MKV/MP4 if AVI suits me enough.
I do hope you at least tried them? Don't just rag on something if you've never even given it a chance.

Quote:
Do you seen me ever releasing a softsub ?
There is your answer.
Softsubs isn't the only feature of MKV... you have support for better audio codecs, VFR support, chapter support, etc...

And Uchikatsu. Stop with the incompetent/unneeded flaming.

Last edited by Harukalover; 2006-10-22 at 12:43. Reason: Forgot something
Harukalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 12:44   Link #520
Medalist
Infie
*Fansubber

Quote:
About the different codecs out there crap, sorry but AVI is a suitable codec and well used.
Avi isn't a codec it's a container. XVID is the damn Codec you be using.
Medalist is offline   Reply With Quote