AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-06-12, 12:39   Link #1
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Tomb Raider (2012)

Hi everyone,

we all know there is a new Tomb Raider game currently in development. It is of course made by Crystal Dynamics and published by Square Enix, who aims to completely retell Lara's story. So in this new game, simply titled 'Tomb Raider', we take control of 21-year-old Lara Croft on her first adventure. You can watch the E3 2011 trailer below. From what it looks like, the developers are planning on taking a more cinematic approach towards the franchise this time. For anyone interested, there is a Gamepot stage demo, showing off the first ten minutes of the game and answering some questions about it. You can watch it here.

The game is scheduled to be released somewhen next year on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. What's your take on it so far? I think it looks really good. The Tomb Raider franchise has long since needed a little face lift. Oh btw. if you're not alone in house while watching the Gamespot demo, you might want to turn down the volume a little.
Old 2011-06-12, 16:33   Link #2
Xion Valkyrie

Looks great. Probably the first Tomb Raider game I'll play.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-12, 16:56   Link #3
Tetra Vaal
Banned

What's everyone's take on Lara's new look? I was never a Tomb Raider fan, but I have a few friends that are and so far, the majority of em' don't like her look.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-12, 17:27   Link #4
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

It's supposed to be a teen age Lara, it's obvious that her look can't be the same as in Underworld.

I personally don't mind much her new look, tough I liked her more when she looked like Angelina Jolie.
Old 2011-06-12, 17:53   Link #5
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
I don't mind the look myself. It's a younger more vulnerable looking Lara why not?
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 08:18   Link #6
Reikokuna

Lately i saw the gameplay video and i have to say: great graphics, great atmosphere! I like the new look and i'm really excited!
Old 2011-08-14, 13:30   Link #7
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Stop with the sequels and reboots of 10-20 year old titles please. This IP necromancy is starting to get stale.

Besides, the Uncharted series already beat Lara at her own game. Tomb Raider has been pretty mediocre for most of its existence, coasting on the popularity of an iconic gaming sex symbol with gigantic tits.
Old 2011-08-14, 14:33   Link #8
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Besides, the Uncharted series already beat Lara at her own game. Tomb Raider has been pretty mediocre for most of its existence, coasting on the popularity of an iconic gaming sex symbol with gigantic tits.
lol I'll have to be honest, "iconic gaming sex symbol with gigantic tits" works for me but while I am interested in this, 1st TR game to really catch my attention since the 2nd I think, Unchrated has totally and utterly got this beat in everyway and for that matter most other games of the genre.
Old 2011-08-14, 14:46   Link #9
Newhope

Uncharted is probably one of the most overrated game series ever made.
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 02:00   Link #10
DingoEnderZOE2

Uncharted is overrated for a reason. Because it actually is pretty good.
Old 2011-08-15, 02:08   Link #11
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoEnderZOE2 View Post
Uncharted is overrated for a reason. Because it always is pretty good.
Very consistently good. Both games already out are very good, and there's every indication that the same quality will be present in the third installment of the series.

I don't have anything against the idea of Tomb Raider, and I quite enjoyed the original game on the PSX many years ago. What I don't like is IP necromancy. Why is there a pressing need to reboot this series? Wasn't it just rebooted a year or so ago with Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light?

And now we're rebooting the series again?

It's official; most major devs no longer have any sort of imagination or innovative spirit, and are running almost entirely on the animation of the corpses of old intellectual property.
Old 2011-08-15, 02:23   Link #12
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Seriously?! another Tomb Raider reboot?! Don't the creators of this have some resemblance of 'concept' for their game? When something has to be rebooted over and over again, It can mean one thing: It's already broken (same thing happened to my PC years ago).
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 15:00   Link #13
DingoEnderZOE2

I'm personally assuming this is simply an origin story rather than a reboot to be honest.
Old 2011-08-15, 15:20   Link #14
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Wasn't it just rebooted a year or so ago with Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light?

And now we're rebooting the series again?
No, that was a smaller scale spin-off (digital distribution, emphasis on cooperative play) created with the intention of launching a side series. These two projects were in development simultaneously.

Quote:
Don't the creators of this have some resemblance of 'concept' for their game?
As with many long running series, the leads change every so often, and there's always pressure to renew the formula for new audiences. Just look at James Bond and Star Trek, for instance. In that sense, the IP survives for the purpose of making more money, and the concept changes with the audience and staff involved.

That said, I agree that more often than not, Tomb Raider has been mediocre (albeit popular).
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 19:56   Link #15
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Yeah, I wouldn't really consider Guardian of Light, as awesome as it was, a reboot of the franchise. It's just meant to be an experimental downloadable title, which I actually wish would turn into a branching series itself.

Besides, all this complaining about it being a reboot seems a bit silly to me. Do people really care that much about the canon of Lara Croft? To me, the original games were fun because of its unique style of survival and exploration. As long as the new game brings something interesting to the table, I couldn't care less what they do with the Lara Croft history.

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 12:14   Link #16
DaRk HuNt3r F4n
>:3

Tomb Raider 2013 right now.
DaRk HuNt3r F4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 13:47   Link #17
Tenchimizaki182

I cant wait for this new tomb raider game to come out it looks really good.
Tenchimizaki182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 09:58   Link #18
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

I had a good laugh from this web-comic on Tomb Raider(2012).

Spoiler for It Could Have Been Worse... She Could Have Been In The Sims 3:

Cheers.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:08   Link #19
Destined_Fate

They're really torturing her, huh? Makes me iffy about playing it, I can only take seeing so much abuse before I just drop the controller and leave. I don't want to play a snuff film or anything.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 10:19   Link #20
EmagEvil

Heu... Eveybody saying it's a reboot, but wasn't it an episode zero instead?

Read since a long time ago about the intro from Tom Raider 1, an younger Lara fall into an hostile environnment after an accident, and learn to survive on her way, after this hellish adventure she became more badass and want more...
EmagEvil is offline   Reply With Quote