AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Pumpkin Scissors

Notices

View Poll Results: Pumpkin Scissors Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 3 14.29%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 47.62%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 5 23.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 9.52%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 4.76%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-01, 06:15   Link #21
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I think Hans could have used even more background. Sure, what we got was fair, and there was enough to tell the story, but more would have added more weight to his character as a sympathetic antagonist. Those are the sorts of characters I really like in action anime since the whole grey-ness of their situation makes for great drama... even if it can be formulaic.

Other than that, good episode. This show has reached a new peak in the last two eps, which is good, since it's been rather bland up until then. Worst thing about this ep: the next ep preview. Hints at more filler. We've been through filler hell and back with this show (I don't watch long running shounen series, so I don't know what true filler hell is like, but Pumpkin-Scissors-water-down-filler-hell was still pretty tiresome), we don't need to revisit it. Not when the plot's about to take off.

It could very well be a good show in the end (still too early to tell, IMO), but I think when this show is over, the thing people are going to talk about most when reminiscing about it are the fillers and how they strangled it, particularly in the first half. Which is a bit unfortunate.
Old 2007-02-01, 17:18   Link #22
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
Simple, the first time they shot him with pistol rounds.

second time it was with
Spoiler:

isn't the henchmen noob from waterwork company shot Hans with brand new top of the line state of the art rifle?

also the manga is not finished yet, right? so filler is expected I guess
Old 2007-02-02, 00:19   Link #23
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrake View Post
Darth Alice rocks my socks ^^
Hai, very COOL! Didn't think she had it in her, I was always wondering wtf she was always blazing that sword all the time, she just didn't look serious, but that's her charm I guess...confusing me.

I'm sorry I haven't read any other of the threads, but since I've started whatcing this series, I'm just waiting for her and/or others in her squad to just bend down and start doing alchemy!
Old 2007-02-02, 10:58   Link #24
Zelda1

Darth Alice is teh bomb!

And it's obvious that the Invisible 9 are the reason the Empire won the war. After what we've seen Olend take in damage, why haven't we seen anymore of the ATT section? They can't all be dead considering what it probably would take to kill one.
Old 2007-02-02, 11:36   Link #25
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

As I remembered, the 'War' ended in a draw. Basically both sides were too exhausted to continue.

I don't think there would be many speciments of the ATT's simply walking around. Their system of combat is inherently suicidal, kind of like a Dwarven Slayer from the Warhammer games. Of course, the end result of a crew of people fanatically looking for death and failing is that those who remain have godlike ass kicking abilities.
Old 2007-02-02, 18:07   Link #26
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda1 View Post
Darth Alice is teh bomb!

And it's obvious that the Invisible 9 are the reason the Empire won the war. After what we've seen Olend take in damage, why haven't we seen anymore of the ATT section? They can't all be dead considering what it probably would take to kill one.
The Empire did not win the war. The war ended in a truce. Rewatch Ep01.

Cheers.
Old 2007-02-02, 19:25   Link #27
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Thumbs up

Listen that applause people!! PS is back in action i enjoyed this episode so damn much i was on the edge my seat the whole time. Alice has proved before that just because she is a noble that does not mean she cant own your ass and in the process tear you a new one. Plus its not like shes from so chump ass family the Malvins have a long military history and its obvious that shes had serious training, my guess is from her grandfather before he died.

They animators did a great job with the fight scene. Alice wielded double bladed weapon perfectly. That weapon reminds me of the double star weapon looks the same but smaller and the bladed curved like a scimitar.

The blades reach a 360 degree radius which is perfect for malee battles. You literally just have to turn around. Strength is not he key its stamina physically Alice is not that strong but he endurance is so high that she fought for a long period. The capt of section 1 came close he used speed and agility to get in the strike range and which is pretty much the best technique to use when facing a weapon with that kind of reach. Throughly enjoyed it now i hope it PS keeps up the pace.

oh yea i feel bad the flame dude what a shitty way to die i mean if he would died fighting Oland that would have been different but getting capped in the head and then shot multiple times just sucked. Oh well at least we found out why he couldnt take of his suit.
Old 2007-02-02, 21:04   Link #28
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Listen that applause people!! PS is back in action i enjoyed this episode so damn much i was on the edge my seat the whole time.

Throughly enjoyed it now i hope it PS keeps up the pace.
I wouldn't chant victory early right now. According to the preview for next episode, another boring filler will be served on next week.
Old 2007-02-03, 19:03   Link #29
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgz View Post
isn't the henchmen noob from waterwork company shot Hans with brand new top of the line state of the art rifle?

also the manga is not finished yet, right? so filler is expected I guess
that's why i said it could be that the internal pressure in the suit could give the armour that extra "twang" to resist rifle rounds, so after...

you get the picture...

but what the hell, the consistency of the series is abysmal and the way they handle Oland survival from "elite" military Rifle men and oil-based flame throwers.....dear haruhi....

The only thing i'm watching this series for is Darth Alice....if it was just her running about slicing people, i'll be happy, just like i have to FORCEFULLY ignore the tank battles and weapons handling, i'll ignore the plot devices....

*prays for more Darth Alice...and more Mer-kun, cos Dog roxxors*

Old 2007-02-05, 08:35   Link #30
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
btw, is that alice dual blade weapon a real weapon in real life? google doesn't help at all

I've seen similar stuff in RPG game tho :/
Old 2007-02-06, 18:36   Link #31
Mandrake

Ive been looking around and the closest thing to a real life counterpart I could find is this.

It might never have been developed because swords in the western countries like the longsword and zweihander were in the beginning of the decline of plate armor and the advent of firearms. Then came the rapiers and smallswords. (traditional duelling with lunges, thrusts) Had the ages of gunpowder stalled a bit longer ...its quite possible a thing such as this would have been made.
Old 2007-02-06, 19:00   Link #32
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I find it unlikely. Let's face it: that weapon may look cool, but it actually sucks. Getting a good swing with it is harder than with a single bladed sword, which means it won't be as good at the armor destroying thing. And as for unarmored people... we went the rapier (which means smaller, lighter, faster weapons) way for a reason.
Old 2007-02-07, 15:45   Link #33
Mandrake

The design was supposed to be used on calvalry as they said in the anime, rapiers might have allot of difficulty going through cumbersome armor...guns however did not. Guns could go through armor, so they were no longer really needed. The thing is the a swing with a good amount of force with that double bladed sword would be hard to stop. If the development of gunpower had stalled, the reforms of many nation militairy would have had different outcomes, both navy and the army.
Old 2007-02-07, 16:07   Link #34
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I seriously doubt that that thing would be any harder to stop than single bladed sword. And it looks a lot more cumbersome to wield.
Old 2007-02-08, 11:57   Link #35
Mandrake

differences is weight, normal swords (not the ones for display) are balanced in weight and weigh allot less so you wont tire as easily. With increased weight, you can build a heck of allot of momentum with it.
Old 2007-02-08, 16:02   Link #36
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

With that shape, I don't think you can efficiently use your strength, which means it won't be fast, which means low kinetic energy.
Old 2007-02-08, 18:36   Link #37
Mandrake

dont you remember the twirl Alice made? The buildup of kinetic energy doesnt neccesairely have to be in the attack itself.

We can put the discussion to rest if someone builds the weapon, and have martial art experts take long cracks at using one :P
Old 2007-02-08, 18:40   Link #38
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I remember the twirl. She basically uses the strength of her elbows and wrists, rather than that of her waist. That spells "weak" to me.
Old 2007-02-09, 08:24   Link #39
Mandrake

she uses the benefit of the weight, not just elbows and wrists. But in any case, if any wants to see more action in double bladed swords, heres a good example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibhfEtRTEp0
Old 2007-02-09, 09:26   Link #40
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrake View Post
she uses the benefit of the weight, not just elbows and wrists. But in any case, if any wants to see more action in double bladed swords, heres a good example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibhfEtRTEp0
Er... Lightsabers are not a good indication on how to wield double-bladed metal swords. A better counterpart might be the bo-staff, but even that is not proper, as the bo-staff is blunt.

Cheers.