AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Old 2008-10-18, 01:23   Link #81
bjnelson19705

can anybody send pics of the general's personal gunmen.
bjnelson19705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-14, 12:21   Link #82
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Has this question been ask before? If Kamina didn't die, do you think that
Viral would join Simon and the gang? Since Kamina and Viral are arch nemesis from the beginning of the show.
Old 2008-11-14, 12:23   Link #83
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Has this question been ask before? If Kamina didn't die, do you think that
Viral would join Simon and the gang? Since Kamina and Viral are arch nemesis from the beginning of the show.
I dont think so. If kamina would have survived, they wouldnt need Viral on their site.

Well its just "what if" so its only, what i think.
Old 2008-12-20, 18:43   Link #84
SnowCrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemporalKnight View Post
Does anyone have a good explanation for why
Spoiler for Boota:
The way I understood was that while Boota indeed was able to evolve into an intelligent being and came into his own recognition as a spiral being, but because of that he got trapped in an alternate universe where he transformed into a human form - which means it didn't actually happen.
SnowCrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 15:02   Link #85
Flyvapnet
Björk freak

Send a message via ICQ to Flyvapnet Send a message via AIM to Flyvapnet Send a message via MSN to Flyvapnet Send a message via Yahoo to Flyvapnet
Question Questions!

I've two questions, both regarding names.

1. Why did Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann mysteriously become Gurren-Lagann seemingly overnight, a change reflected in nearly all media of communication? (If Gurren-Lagann was simply verbal shorthand for the actual title, it's certainly gotten way out of hand.)

2. Why did the character "Yoko Ritona" mysteriously become "Yoko Littner" seemingly overnight, a change reflected in nearly all media of communication? (Did her village vote to change its name to Littner, hence requiring her name to be changed as well?)

One sure-fire way for any work of art/literature to lose continuity as well as fans/followers/supporters is to suddenly -- and without sufficient explanation -- change its name and/or the name of a principal character. This just doesn't make any sense, not to me anyway; unless, of course, some media-of-communication gatekeepers were (shall we say) persuaded to help those who seek to harm the popularity of the OVA and/or Yoko.

For all 27 episodes of the OVA, Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann was Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann; and "Yoko Ritona" was "Yoko Ritona." I've yet to hear/read/see a convincing explanation of those above-mentioned violations of basic business and literary practices -- and of common sense.

Believable explanations of the motivation behind those changes would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

=^..^=
Flyvapnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 17:26   Link #86
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Wow.

Um.

First of all, an OVA series is a series released direct to video/DVD. Gurren Lagann was a originally broadcast on television.

"Gurren Lagann" is the official name of the dub version, simply because it's easier for Westerners to remember and say. Besides, the title made little sense until episode 27 anyway.

"Littner" is the official dub name of Ritona Village, as well. Hence the changes everywhere.

...I'm just amazed how you could have come to the conclusions you did.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 18:40   Link #87
Flyvapnet
Björk freak

Send a message via ICQ to Flyvapnet Send a message via AIM to Flyvapnet Send a message via MSN to Flyvapnet Send a message via Yahoo to Flyvapnet
Unhappy You're amazed?

Well, that's good to know! I shall make an effective attempt to refrain from asking question here in future. We can't have people going about in a state of amazement, can we?

So, why were those names chosen for the "official dub version"? "Ritona" seems easy enough to say, for one thing. Perhaps if you'd read the questions ... but then it's much more fun to play bully and point out supposed flaws in posts than it is to display a modicum of courtesy.

'Bye, all! I gave it a try, but apparently this isn't the Web site where one can ask questions and receive civil answers.

=^..^=
Flyvapnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 19:32   Link #88
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvapnet View Post
So, why were those names chosen for the "official dub version"?
The dub uses the official spellings endorsed by Gainax. The spellings you are used to were created by fans and fansubbers.
CSakuraS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 16:10   Link #89
SnowCrasher

"Ritona" is the Japanese romaji way of spelling the pronunciation of Littner.
If you show a Japanese the word "Littner" they will just read it out as ri-to-na.
Many foreign name spellings get mixed up because of that.

As Kaisos said, English speakers would have no idea what "Tengen Toppa" means, unless they translated the full title as "Heaven Shattering Gurren Lagann" which is still a mouthful.
It's the same thing as "Tenkuu no Escaflowne" being simply named "Escaflowne" along with many other anime.
SnowCrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-24, 20:31   Link #90
Shay Guy

Yes, very irksome, the Japanese phoneme shortage. Anyway, my question.

What's the passenger capacity of the SuperGalaxy Dai-Gurren? First if it's being kept as a warship, second if it's refitted for civilian purposes. (Though the Arc-Gurren was estimated to be able to carry over 200k for a year in self-sufficient mode, and it was still a decent fighting force -- at least, as Arc-Gurren-Lagann.) Not sure if it still counts as "fighting condition" if it requires a transformation to be able to fight on its own, though there's always its Space Gunmen. Eh, finagle the parameters however you want. :P Though I wonder if it can still act as a civilian home when in humanoid - no, not complicating it any further.
Old 2009-06-01, 11:45   Link #91
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I don't know if this is just in recent Gainax works or it is just me but does Gurren Lagann have symbolism beneath the pretty explosions and even prettier girls?
Old 2009-06-04, 08:41   Link #92
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I have a question about the dub.

I've only watched two well dubbed animes. These are Fullmetal Alchemist and Samurai Champloo.

Is the dubbing as good as these two?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 15:15   Link #93
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
I don't know if this is just in recent Gainax works or it is just me but does Gurren Lagann have symbolism beneath the pretty explosions and even prettier girls?
They even kinda explain the symbolism in the show itself, man!
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 00:50   Link #94
Saiga Tatsumi

Okay why was Simon pronounced like the female name Simone?
Because my name is Simon in real life and it's not pronounced like it is Gurren Lagann. Like in the anime.

And it's spelt Simon on wikipedia.

Could someone please give me a thorough explanation why it's pronounced like that? Because i know it's not pronounced like that in english as a name.

I'm just wondering.
Old 2009-08-06, 00:58   Link #95
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Because it's not the English name "Simon". It comes from the Japanese word "shimo", which means "below" or "underneath".

All the major characters in Gurren Lagann have names that relate to distance or placing. "Kamina" comes from "kami", which is "above", "Rossiu" comes from the word for "behind", "Nia" is a romanized "near", etc.
Old 2009-08-08, 00:41   Link #96
Saiga Tatsumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Because it's not the English name "Simon". It comes from the Japanese word "shimo", which means "below" or "underneath".

All the major characters in Gurren Lagann have names that relate to distance or placing. "Kamina" comes from "kami", which is "above", "Rossiu" comes from the word for "behind", "Nia" is a romanized "near", etc.

So does that mean they pronounce it as Shimon in the english adaptation?
Old 2009-08-08, 03:23   Link #97
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiga Tatsumi View Post
So does that mean they pronounce it as Shimon in the english adaptation?
I don't know, I've never seen the dub.

I wouldn't think so, though. They use use "See-mon" like the original did, I'm pretty sure.
Old 2009-08-10, 12:07   Link #98
Kanish

Yes. They do. It's "See-mon" in the english dub.
Kanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 01:04   Link #99
Dan the Man
Defeater of Robot Masters
*Artist

Location: Wherever YOU aren't. Thanks for not visiting... *Sniff*
Send a message via AIM to Dan the Man Send a message via MSN to Dan the Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I have a question about the dub.

I've only watched two well dubbed animes. These are Fullmetal Alchemist and Samurai Champloo.

Is the dubbing as good as these two?
I certainly think so. I was watching the english dub all the way up to episode 21 before I heard any of the japanese voices. The actors were all top-notch in my opinion, all of which being well known. Steve Blum does Leeron in a wierd way by using a really strong gay lisp, which I think is hilarious at times, especially compared to his japanese counterpart. Disturbing, yes, but it adds a little something to the english version. The other voices pretty much do a good job of matching their characters and japanese voice actors, so all in all it's a damn good dub.

-----Chicks dig giant robots------
Dan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 03:58   Link #100
Bea Rabbit
Stained Member
*Graphic Designer

Even the Anime already ends,
But its still mah favorite...

btw, Is there really are Gurren Lagann the Movie? I heard the issues but i donnow if its true or not..
Bea Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote