Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-30, 00:00   Link #401
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by komichi View Post
God, I hate watching this series because it always make me think KyoAni, but overall I really am enjoying this anime, many things are exciting and beautiful. Inspired me enough to play the game.
I thought of KyoAni, too -- but only because the show was making me realize that Oonuma/Shinbou/Shaft are at a similar artistic level to KyoAni, even though their style is so different. I guess another similarity to KyoAni/Key is sad girls and super moe.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 01:25   Link #402
ElementSun

I love the storytelling of this series. I've always been a sucker for those multiple character arcs and how their paths intertwine, such as Lost, Heroes, and the pure brilliance of Crash.

This anime is a lot more profound than any other anime I've been keeping up with, though Clannad might just take the cake a few episodes in the futre. But, as of now, I will rank ef~A Tale of Memories as my #1 series of the season. Cheerio.
ElementSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 01:31   Link #403
relentlessflame

*Administrator

By the way, this is one of those "oh shit..." realization moments (everyone else probably already figured this out), but it just clicked that the story Chihiro wants to write as per the end of episode 4 is, of course, the story that's plastered all over the OP (about the girl who's alone at the end of the world). "A tale of memories", huh... and now I'm thinking that somehow this is all connected to the two at the church, but I'm not quite sure how. This story is like some sort of bizarre puzzle where all the pieces are slowly coming together; I love it.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 02:06   Link #404
ayako
a shounen manga

Send a message via AIM to ayako
Same here about the story Chihiro wants to write. It's making me think that the animation is actually quite well thought out. Well, at some points anyway. Not sure how I feel about all those lipstick shots and the bright colors though... I liked how Hiro makes a remark about some color being absent from his world, and how Miyako's entrance just brightens up the screen. The colors are so muted when we see Hiro, but Miyako is just shiny. o_o
ayako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 02:34   Link #405
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayako View Post
Not sure how I feel about all those lipstick shots and the bright colors though... I liked how Hiro makes a remark about some color being absent from his world, and how Miyako's entrance just brightens up the screen. The colors are so muted when we see Hiro, but Miyako is just shiny. o_o
Symbolism ftw. Episode four was like poetry in motion. Just absolutely beautiful on every level.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 05:12   Link #406
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Spoiler for Ep4:
Spoiler:
guuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 05:58   Link #407
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Either I finally got used to the SHAFT/Shinbo style, or otherwise they've improved by a lot, but I enjoyed Episode 4 far more than I thought I would. Despite a few animation bloopers (C'mon, the hell is that with Kei running in the distance?! It's completely messed up!), a great deal of the overall animation was quite simply, kami-sakuga class. Even the Shinbo-WTFness didn't turn me off so much this time round, and a lot of it even suited the story as it is.

Then we come to the story; while the Hiro-Miyako-Kei thread still doesn't look like being anything more than your typical love triangle, and the Kyousuke one still looks to be going nowhere by the looks of it, I felt the Chihiro-Renji one is shaping up to be something pretty special. Easily my favourite of the story threads, and I can really feel the emotion when Chihiro was screaming her frustration at other people knowing her better than she does herself. I like it, but I really wish the disparate story threads would come together sometime soon; 12 episodes really isn't a lot of time to play around with.

If there were an episode rating for this, it would get an 8. I hope this is an indication that ef can only get better as we go along; if that's the case, I'll be glad I stuck with it.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 06:23   Link #408
frustra
Team M.Y.T.Hi.C.

Ef definitely is getting better. Getting more used to the art style. Loved the ED song played in ep 4.
Old 2007-10-30, 06:29   Link #409
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ahh ef ^^
this series is improving bit by bit and it shows...the story is lovely and the telling of it is unique enough to improve the image of what could have just been a pretty standard adaption.

ep 4 ~

the situation here with hiro, miyako and kei is really quite straight forward. kei is almost destined to have her heart broken looking ah how she retains her "little sister" image whereas miyako really is going in for the kill...i cant fault hiro for doing anything wrong (which is a nice change seen as a lot of harem series focuses on how badly males can screw up). in fact i wont even say that it is kei's fault for loving someone...its just that her situation is just unfortunate. we see that she tries hard to appeal to hiro but ends up bing a step too late.

ahh the classic "i cant cook for shat" cliche never gets old XD i loved hiro's reaction towards miyako before sampling her food ^^

the end was pretty depressing for kei...in the end she is a tomboy with a feeble heart ;__;

and just when i thought this whole ep will be focusing on hiro...in jumps chihiro and renji for some more drama.

i can fully understand why chihiro refuses to write a novel...i mean what is to become of her if the only reason to live turns out to be something wrong? for someone like chihiro it would just be her world crashing down. but it seem that will soon change if her dream is to be with renji as they write a novel together...renji wont be going anywhere so that may be the road to happiness for such a weak girl...

and i can then just see renji getting in some accident as fate plays with chihiro's emotions *shakes angry fist*

some great set up for more drama

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 07:53   Link #410
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Juicy episode four drama. <3

Like i already said, even though you could see where this was going the second Kei picked up that cook book, i still very much enjoyed seeing it being played out. Plenty of Miyako goodness also, which was a nice treat.

Quite happy with how Renji/Chihiro ended this episode. Not only impressive to watch, it's just that now i have to start thinking how this one can go wrong (something to do with her memory i guess), 'cause it's to early for happiness.
Old 2007-10-30, 08:22   Link #411
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

No doubt you just knew things were going to go bad when Kei picked up that cook book. Honestly thought it would happen quickly but they saved it for near the end. Not like anyone necessarily did something wrong that's just how it ended up.

Miyako is just going right to it. Without any past relationship or view of her to get in the way of it. A bond is forming nicely with her and Hiro even though he spends most of the time denying any such thing . She encourages him knowing the pain his wrist gives him. She plays around and really is a splash of colour to his life.

Always seems to find a way to get him embarrassed as well. Finding that book of all things. I'm sure it really was just for artistic purposes . No really have no idea since my drawing ability probably equals Kei's cooking.

No doubt writing a story when your memory lasts 13 hours is tough. Would have to read everything you've done and then find a way to keep it going. Get tougher along the way.
Old 2007-10-30, 09:51   Link #412
Ichigo91
Dharma Institute

Old 2007-10-30, 09:56   Link #413
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Spoiler:
toast can be poisonous at the hands of kei...not to mention charcoal ^^
Quote:
No doubt writing a story when your memory lasts 13 hours is tough. Would have to read everything you've done and then find a way to keep it going. Get tougher along the way.
though got chihiro its so much more than forgetting about the plot bla bla...i really feel for her pain and while i initially questioned what he called renji mean - it the hit me that he was being pretty mean to impose his thoughts on her like that - especially when he doesnt know her feelings. (but hearing her say that he knows her better than she does still hurts ;__; )

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 11:36   Link #414
SvenTheSweeper
***** YES!! *****

Finally, with episode 4 there is a satisfying payoff for sticking with the story, characters, and sometimes off-the-wall visual aesthetics. This was a fulfilling episode for me to experience. Too bad there wasn’t a poll for this show, I’d give it a 9 out of 10. The various stories have started to solidity and converge. The “what” and “why” of each character’s motivation and history are clearer now.

I am eager to see how the following themes play out:
Spoiler for epsiode 4:

Finally, thanks for the great discussion between Klashikari and Kaoru Chujo on what they liked or didn’t like about episode 4. Your thoughtful posts helped me think about this show in a different way, and therefore enjoy it more.
SvenTheSweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 11:47   Link #415
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Spoiler for thoughts on epi4:
Old 2007-10-30, 16:26   Link #416
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Well, ep4 was a fairly good entry, but i think i liked ep3 more. At first i was not overly interested in Kei / Miyako / Hiro, but this episode set a spark to my interest finally. Miyako sure manages to be quite the cheerful girl, despite Hiro being rather grumpy. Definitely the speck of colors in his life Speaking of which, poor Hiro must have been traumatized by Kei's cooking to have such an aversion to home-made food Well, looks like that is going to change soon Miyako looks like a pretty sure winner in this situation, as i can hardly picture Hiro looking at Kei in romantic light.

As for Chihiro and Renji ... i think i have finally figured out why the whole thing doesn't sit well with me, despite me being quite interested in this story. The two simply don't seem to be on the same wavelength and lack chemistry in their interactions. Renji is quite the naive "white knight" ... i feel he is too simple minded for her. He is not exactly good at reading the mood and such, which would be quite important with Chihiro.

But there is something else that bothered me about the whole beach scene. Heck, I think i am getting used to the far camera pans (or too tired to complain about it all the time). Heck, i am even learning not to cringe at SHAFTs "art". But choppy animation is not about to stop bugging me anytime soon, and sadly it seems SHAFT doesn't believe in smooth movements. The budget allocation doesn't seem even - while some of the sceneries are simply amazing, but characters seem to get the shorter end of stick. The Art is not bad in itself, but animation is lacking.

Chihiro's lip sync was off during her emotional moments, and her Seiyuu's somewhat 'indifferent' performance at times was not exactly convincing either. Oh, and what the heck is this pose ? I think i was about to head-butt my keyboard at that scene, which was over-dramatized to the point of being corny. I enjoyed the first part of the episode a lot more, because whatever impact the second half might have had was ruined by the sum of all the issues. When i am distracted by low production values in some are i can't exactly feel for the story ... which is how i felt in the second half.

Hu well - lets see what the next ep brings
Old 2007-10-30, 16:53   Link #417
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
what the heck is this pose ? I think i was about to head-butt my keyboard at that scene, which was over-dramatized to the point of being corny.
I liked that scene. At first glance, it looks like the wave in the background is about to hit her, but she collapses without getting even a drop on her. It illustrated how she was basically tearing herself down and only using Renji's proposal as an excuse to feel sorry for herself. Ah, I love symbolism...
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 19:49   Link #418
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

One other thing I'm curious about; from what has been inferred from Hiro's past so far, it seems that he was born into a rich family. Moreover, Kei's confession that she was at fault for causing him to have to work....I wonder what happened?

As to the animation...I've realized it jumps pretty severely between "OMFGOSHTHATSBEAUTIFUL" and "WTFTHATSUGLYASHECK", with almost nothing in between. It's kinda hard to rate SHAFT/Shino for animation quality, when inconsistency accompanies beauty.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 20:14   Link #419
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
One other thing I'm curious about; from what has been inferred from Hiro's past so far, it seems that he was born into a rich family. Moreover, Kei's confession that she was at fault for causing him to have to work....I wonder what happened?
Well could be that his family expected Hiro to be an artist or something along those lines. Maybe when he expressed interest in drawing manga and going the route he wanted they gave an old our way or the highway. Since Kei and Chihiro sparked his interest in manga that could be it.

Am curious about Miyako's family. She seemed pretty quick to change the subject when Hiro brought it up. Might be something going on there.
Old 2007-10-30, 20:15   Link #420
Gaara133
You damn midget!

Wow I literally just started watching this series (first 4 minutes into episode 1) and this seems like an epic anime just by the music!
Gaara133 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, romance, seinen, shaft