AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-03-21, 02:06   Link #1
Bullsquat
Strange Love

Melody of Oblivion

I couldn't find a thread on this title yet. Anyways, this is of course another Gainax title I think. Reading from the synopsis, the story seems similar to This Ugly and Beautiful World. It's something like a high school boy meeting a strange girl and she's suppose to awaken some hidden powers in him or something.

Well, I'll have to choose one or the other. Even though they're both Gainax, I still need some variations.
Bullsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-21, 03:16   Link #2
marin

So wait, Gainax is doing the same show twice?
marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-21, 04:54   Link #3
SCR512
Ayu/Eclipse Semi-Slave

Send a message via AIM to SCR512
well Konomini has 2 gurls, so far The Melody of Oblivion has 1 =p But like name wise... Melody of Oblibion is just a kick ass name IMO.
SCR512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-21, 06:05   Link #4
wao
OK.

This one appealed to me more than This Ugly And Beautiful World, somehow... I dunno, but the name is very appealing: Boukyaku no Senritsu. Melody of Oblivion... The song featured (is it the OP?) was also appealing, and the art seems nicer than the other one.

I'll just see.... yeah....
Old 2004-03-21, 12:18   Link #5
brightman
Ancient Member

Boukyaku no Senritsu is a GAINAX/JCStaff collaboration (and its actually animated by JCStaff) while Konomini is GAINAX/SHAFT (animated by GAINAX). Apparently both are broadcasted on TBS/BS-i too...

But anyway, this is directed by Hiroshi Nishikiori who was the creator of Gad Guard (which is full of sexual implications though its not exactly ecchi), and the character designs are by Shinya Hasegawa (who did Ikkitoussen...)

Hmm, judging from that I have no idea what to expect...
Old 2004-04-12, 16:18   Link #6
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

So far I like the art-style a lot, very unique one. However the story doesn't look as interesting as This Ugly and Beautiful World...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 16:31   Link #7
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Discussion: First Impression

With the ANBU release of Melody of Oblivion, I'd like to say "thank you" to said organization and furthur comment on my first impression of this show. The following will contain no plot spoilers as I do not yet know the true purpose of each character, setting, or foreshadow. I will keep the description of story in the first episode as short as it would allow me to comment on my impression of this episode.

It's my personal feeling that Melody of Oblivion (MoO) is excellent in it's initial attempt to recycle, or some may say "clone" the concepts of Evanglion, RahXephon, and The Matrix.

The above-mention titles are known to many as having "heavy" or even "messed-up" stories that will have many cringe and ponder the purpose of existence. Coming from Gainax, I expect nothing less.

The story of this show begins not with much of the naive and carefree (though clearly out of place) life of Kamina Ayato in RahXephon. Instead, MoO gets down to the nitty-gritty fact of Monsters on earth. That at the end of a War, we are the ones who scorched the sky--sounding familiar? Yet quickly following the scene of the war, we are taken to a place not unlike the world we know today, with all the societal ladders and obstacles to climb. Here, we are introduced to Bocca.

He is everything you would expect from an Anime male protagnist, with all the age old cliches attached--introvert, straight-lace, and generally nice, if not too nice--to him. He is the Neo-type, if you will, of a boy who seems to fail to conform to a world full of inconsistencies, chiefly, the dissapearance of a friend of his. While he has all the potential to climb high in the social ladder, he chooses to underachieve almost intentionally. His parents and apparent girlfriend, however, seem to be so incredibly bent in Bocca's conformity that they were quick to use any means at their disposal to ensure it.

Intermitten in the seeming consistency of the real world as we know today, are the subtle and not-so-subtle hints that things are so incredibly wrong, and that forces of things that are not human are at work.

From this show I expect nothing less than a dark, provocative, and morally-ambiguous story and theme. While this series seems to tap less or not at all into the Judeo-Christian symbols like Evanglion and The Matrix; or using none of the Mulian and Egytian Mythologies, I believe this series will be able to take great strides in its ability to provoke thought and thoroughly entertain.

Note: Damn I'm tired... and getting so wordy, as if I don't write enough for school . Please take what you will outta this little piece and watch this show--I just think it shows promise. Also, in my train of thought in trying to show the unique-ness of this show from the its many similar contemporaries, I forgot to mention I really, really love the music of this show.

EDIT: For those who don't feel like reading this long post of supposed reasoning, Lucier sums it up real well. Watch this show, seriously.
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 16:34   Link #8
Lucier
Lunar Translator

Ep1 was good...
I was wondreing if someone was gonna sub this after seeing how great it was last week ^^;
Lucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 16:38   Link #9
suires
たこ焼き名人

is there any sub version available right now?

I am waiting for this series for long time but don't really want to dl raw.....
suires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 16:43   Link #10
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family

Send a message via ICQ to AkihaTohno Send a message via AIM to AkihaTohno
Quote:
Originally Posted by suires
is there any sub version available right now?

I am waiting for this series for long time but don't really want to dl raw.....
yeah, it's one of the new ones.

I remember downloading, watching the intro and saying "what the hell is this?" and i stopped watching. hehe.
AkihaTohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 18:15   Link #11
box-chan

so is there a straight up summary for this series...the other posts intrigue me, especially comparing it to, say, the matrix and EVA. Only problem is that the promo just made me go "Huh?" and that was after watching the third time. morally ambiguous sounds pretty interesting too, but since I'm not into RAWs I guess I'll just hold out.
box-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 18:17   Link #12
Fate
Mystic Arcane

Let's hope some group will find this worth their time to sub. Oh wait, such post makes me sound like a leecher. -.o
Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 18:21   Link #13
lordwu

I believe A-Source, who subbed the trailer, will sub the series. I watched the first episode and I liked it quite a lot. I think it will be a great series.
lordwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 18:44   Link #14
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
I couldn't get into this one at all. The premise of monsters that won a war no one remembers is actually very interesting! but to fight them with motercycles? -_- A nerdslut, a crazy scientist, a guy with shoulderpads too big to fit through doors, a monster with the power to cause office whores to orgasm on sight! (wow..it must be his sexy hair!) and not to mention the ability to take off a young boys clothes by snapping! I felt somewhat insulted by having everyones role instantly displayed to me through cliched character designs. Unless the next couple of episodes show me how wrong I am for assuming then I wont be able to stick with this one much longer.

Well, it was mostly my aesthetics that were let down. I'm sure this series will live up to everyones expectations and I look foward to it, it's just that ugly character designs turn me off..ugh..that monsters hair, why?
Tzurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 19:08   Link #15
TheVirus

Great ep. I like it a lot, dunno why. Just appeals to me in some way.

I've always been a fan of archers so thats a plus

Seems to be a keeper.
TheVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 19:36   Link #16
jhn195
Prince of the Saiyans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzurial
I couldn't get into this one at all. The premise of monsters that won a war no one remembers is actually very interesting! but to fight them with motercycles? -_- A nerdslut, a crazy scientist, a guy with shoulderpads too big to fit through doors, a monster with the power to cause office whores to orgasm on sight! (wow..it must be his sexy hair!) and not to mention the ability to take off a young boys clothes by snapping! I felt somewhat insulted by having everyones role instantly displayed to me through cliched character designs. Unless the next couple of episodes show me how wrong I am for assuming then I wont be able to stick with this one much longer.

Well, it was mostly my aesthetics that were let down. I'm sure this series will live up to everyones expectations and I look foward to it, it's just that ugly character designs turn me off..ugh..that monsters hair, why?
Hmm i don't know if it's just me but i find the anime unappealing compare to Kono Minikuku. The animation is lousy and i don't get some part of the story at all. He's gets a bulleyes and then he was make fun of? Geez. Anyway what with the secretary getting all horny after hearing a name? Everything just seem so wrong! Is this really by Gainax?
jhn195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 20:25   Link #17
cf18
Mecha Pilot

I keep thinking "Matrix" after seeing this "monster" showing such power over some human minds. But those stupid looking bike turn me off.
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 21:25   Link #18
Kayoubi
Togame's Sword

i like the plot too with the humans actually lost a war for this once and the result from looking at monsters is pretty cool also. but when the great weapons to hunt monsters is a bike, thats sorta lame. if they don't focus on the bike too much, i'll enjoy the show.
Kayoubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 21:53   Link #19
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I think the bike is not that bad, but the arrow that supposedly to get "powered up" when rubbing against the shoulder kinda looks weird... the monster's power to turn people into sticks looks interesting and the background art just looks very stylish... It has a Revolutionary Girl Utena kinda of feel I think... but the characters are nowhere as good so far...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 01:34   Link #20
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by box-chan
so is there a straight up summary for this series...the other posts intrigue me, especially comparing it to, say, the matrix and EVA.
Well I'm glad to be of service! My wordiness and supposed eloquence come out when I'm passionate about something--there's a reason why I struggle in English Lit Oh and the ANBU fansub has been out for a day or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhn195
Hmm i don't know if it's just me but i find the anime unappealing compare to Kono Minikuku. The animation is lousy and i don't get some part of the story at all. He's gets a bulleyes and then he was make fun of? Geez. Anyway what with the secretary getting all horny after hearing a name? Everything just seem so wrong! Is this really by Gainax?
It's only natural, if you will, that this world seems unnatural to us, and to some extent, Bocca. Think Matrix, RahXephon, and perhaps Scrapped Princess. I've yet to see Kono Minikuku~. As far as archery in this "society" is concerned, perhaps it is because of the fact that a form of archery is used in the battles against the Monsters? Perhaps, it is because even the Monsters fear the art of archery and thereby had this art/sport "preset" as something to be looked down upon? Just some thoughts. Afterall, if a single alien species were to be able to rewrite parts of history, social norms, and even morals as we know it--just enough to maintain a passive control--would we, as an entire people, still know it?

I know, where or not we as a whole people would see a seemingly "wrong" world is matter of a debate on Forms that traces back to the days Plato and Aristotle, and still rages on today. This is the beauty of a story like this. To put it simply, it provokes thought.
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote