AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody - episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 157 46.87%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 88 26.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 57 17.01%
7 out of 10 : Good 21 6.27%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 1.79%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.30%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.30%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 1.19%
Voters: 335. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-05-21, 20:50   Link #161
Tyabann
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by teelotes View Post
Still, it brings some order to the discussion we're having on time travel. So regarding dimensions and universes, how do they relate to sliders and time travellers? Who does what?
Well, my current theory is that other universes were created three years ago when Haruhi changed the universe.

In fact, that explosion of data could well have been her creating other universes.

Sliders would come from there.


Time travelers cannot normally change the past in Haruhi, they can only slide up and down along the timeline.

To change the past, you'd need to either be Haruhi, or using her powers somehow.

Here's a good article for you to read that explains how time travel works in Haruhi.
Tyabann is offline  
Old 2009-05-21, 20:51   Link #162
teelotes
ktr
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
But, if the Haruhi universe has time in a linear fashion, how does one resolve the classic time paradox of going back in time to kill your father?
Maybe that is the role of Nagato's agency? An enforcement unit that prevents that from happening.
teelotes is offline  
Old 2009-05-21, 20:52   Link #163
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 35
So, time travel in Haruhi is like watching a show in a cinema. It seems real, but you can't interact with things.
__________________
yezhanquan is offline  
Old 2009-05-21, 20:53   Link #164
Tyabann
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
But, if the Haruhi universe has time in a linear fashion, how does one resolve the classic time paradox of going back in time to kill your father?
You wouldn't be able to.

Contrived coincidences would conspire to prevent you from changing the past.

Or you simply wouldn't have the opportunity to do so.

Again, Novikov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teelotes View Post
But what about John Smith?
HE ALREADY CHANGED THE PAST, LOL

Kinda. John Smith already happened when he went back in time there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
So, time travel in Haruhi is like watching a show in a cinema. It seems real, but you can't interact with things.
Wrong. Just that the things you interact with will have no impact on the timeline because you already interacted with them.
Tyabann is offline  
Old 2009-05-21, 20:55   Link #165
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 35
Oh, ok. So, the interaction becomes meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Roger.
__________________
yezhanquan is offline  
Old 2009-05-21, 20:56   Link #166
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I'm am absolute whore for time travel so I really enjoyed this episode.

It's good to have the cast back.

__________________
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline  
Old 2009-05-21, 20:57   Link #167
Tyabann
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Oh, ok. So, the interaction becomes meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Roger.
Again, wrong.

Your interactions do happen and they have meaning, but it won't matter to you because from the perspective of the universe, they already happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
I'm am absolute whore for time travel so I really enjoyed this episode.

It's good to have the cast back.

I agree.

Also, wait until they get to book 4. Or, if they ever do get there, book 7.

THERE's some fun temporal mechanics.
Tyabann is offline  
Old 2009-05-21, 20:57   Link #168
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 36
It would seem we need panzerfan in here to talk about Copenhagen Interpretations and whatnot, but for some reason I'm not akin to the idea of continuing our discussion of wave function collapse from the Clannad boards.
MeoTwister5 is offline  
Old 2009-05-21, 20:57   Link #169
teelotes
ktr
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Well, my current theory is that other universes were created three years ago when Haruhi changed the universe.

In fact, that explosion of data could well have been her creating other universes.

Sliders would come from there.


Time travelers cannot normally change the past in Haruhi, they can only slide up and down along the timeline.

To change the past, you'd need to either be Haruhi, or using her powers somehow.

Here's a good article for you to read that explains how time travel works in Haruhi.
Would that mean Kyon's apparent effects on Haruhi are merely coincidences, rather than causes?

Spoiler for Kyon:


Coherent to the Wiki article provided, the actions of Mikuru (both young and mature) and Kyon seem restricted, or planned, when they were in the past. But then again, how much free will do we have in our everyday life?
teelotes is offline  
Old 2009-05-21, 20:58   Link #170
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 35
I know there's a reason why I avoided the series the first time round.

Maybe, I should have said "wouldn't matter" instead of "meaningless".
__________________
yezhanquan is offline  
Old 2009-05-21, 20:59   Link #171
PastPrime
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
So, time travel in Haruhi is like watching a show in a cinema. It seems real, but you can't interact with things.
Not quite. Mikuru can't change things, or perhaps isn't allowed to change things, but she can have Kyon do it for her.
PastPrime is offline  
Old 2009-05-21, 20:59   Link #172
Tyabann
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by teelotes View Post
Would that mean Kyon's apparent effects on Haruhi are merely coincidences, rather than causes?
Er, not really.

He did cause her to go to North High in pursuit of John Smith... but he already did that.

I know it doesn't make much sense, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teelotes View Post
Coherent to the Wiki article provided, the actions of Mikuru (both young and mature) and Kyon seem restricted, or planned, when they were in the past. But then again, how much free will do we have in our everyday life?
None, which is the point.

Haruhi is the only person who can alter the timeline. Hence, Haruhi is the only person with free will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
Not quite. Mikuru can't change things, or perhaps isn't allowed to change things, but she can have Kyon do it for her.
Again. They're not changing anything. They're merely fulfilling what the timeline says they did.
Tyabann is offline  
Old 2009-05-21, 21:00   Link #173
teelotes
ktr
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
It would seem we need panzerfan in here to talk about Copenhagen Interpretations and whatnot, but for some reason I'm not akin to the idea of continuing our discussion of wave function collapse from the Clannad boards.
How did Clannad lead to wavefunctions? Once again, the entertainment industry sheds new light on how Physics can be done.

Dangos do remind me of bonding and anti-bonding orbitals though.
teelotes is offline  
Old 2009-05-21, 21:02   Link #174
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 35
If my limited knowledge of the series serves me well, there is an alternate dimension in Clannad.
__________________
yezhanquan is offline  
Old 2009-05-21, 21:09   Link #175
PastPrime
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Again. They're not changing anything. They're merely fulfilling what the timeline says they did.
My impression was that the time line was changing and she had to take Kyon to restore it. In every case it was Kyon, not her, who took the necessary actions to restore or insure the timeline.
PastPrime is offline  
Old 2009-05-21, 21:10   Link #176
Kyuu
=^^=
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 42 10' N (Latitude) 87 33' W (Longitude)
Age: 42
With the intention of editing into Wikipedia -- what is the official title to this second season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
Not quite. Mikuru can't change things, or perhaps isn't allowed to change things, but she can have Kyon do it for her.
Yes. She can be rather... manipulative. XD
Kyuu is offline  
Old 2009-05-21, 21:13   Link #177
Tyabann
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
My impression was that the time line was changing and she had to take Kyon to restore it. In every case it was Kyon, not her, who took the necessary actions to restore or insure the timeline.
Or, as Big Mikuru seems to suggest in Vol. 7, it's been preordained that Kyon would do these things, and so they, the time travelers, have to ensure that he does.

lol novikov

Also, Mikuru does help him do those things in Vol. 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyuuA4 View Post
With the intention of editing into Wikipedia -- what is the official title to this second season?
Just "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya".

Maybe "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2009"?

Haruhi '09 for short?
Tyabann is offline  
Old 2009-05-21, 21:16   Link #178
Jiggy
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Watched and rewatched and this was a quiet episode--not just thematically, which of course it had to be, but also aurally. The first-season music was and still is very bold; just listen to the school days kind of theme that starts as Kyon is walking up the stairs, the shopping-mall-of-the-future kind of theme as Haruhi is explaining what the group is going to do, or the twisted-evil-artist kind of theme when Mikuru is telling Kyon where she wants to go.

But the new music all seemed rather reserved to me, which makes it a little uncharacteristic of Haruhi (as a series). It's not like everything needs to be bombastic, but compare the sporadic bleeps and light drum beats of Yuki's new theme--almost background noise, really--to her very spacey theme from when she explained who she was to Kyon in the first season. That one was very quiet, but had some mini-melodies running all throughout to call attention to itself. Mikuru's new theme is also even more ambient than her old theme from explaining time travel. And take that one timpani-pounding, trumpet-blaring first season theme that really conveyed Haruhi being the overlord to her peons, albeit a very strange one; in contrast to that, I'd say the music when Kyon is drawing in Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody sounds much more "normal" to me, for lack of a better term. Which, again, feels out of place to me considering that the scene going on was anything but normal.

Maybe there are better themes ahead--it's not like the first season didn't have some background music I'd consider throwaway--but for now I'm not really feeling it. A little disappointing considering the soundtrack was easily one of my favorite things about the first fourteen episodes. (Just referring to background music. I think I like Tomare more than Hare Hare Yukai already!) There were also a ton of moments with no music, which can be great in some series during emotional moments, but that wasn't the point of this episode, so eh...


Anyway, the new music is my only real complaint. 8/10.
Jiggy is offline  
Old 2009-05-21, 21:24   Link #179
teelotes
ktr
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Speaking about numbering and naming schemes, wouldn't it be more appropriate to drop the "Episode 1" phrase in the title of this thread?

Moreover, will there will be new threads created for all subsequent episodes, or just for those with new content?

In any case, AniDB puts it well by categorising this 2009 season as the Full story.
teelotes is offline  
Old 2009-05-21, 21:24   Link #180
MainCharacter
All Evils of the World
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Anyone here by chance watch the american show LOST? They recently dealt with time travel and used the same ideals. Whatever happened, happened.

Let's say I have a broken leg. I have this broken leg because someone hit me with a car. 5 years from now I go back in time and get into a car accident and wind up breaking the younger me's leg. Thus, I broke my own leg. But that is what always happened. So it's really like a "you can't change the past" type of thing because whatever you did in the past already happened in the present because you did it. I always break my leg.
MainCharacter is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.