Notices

Old 2013-01-03, 03:43   Link #1801
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
Spoiler for this is the one i think is good:
My personal favourite...
Nice field report from 2 anime convention...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 03:53   Link #1802
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Thanks. It's only one anime convention though.

I just used the line _____________ to separate people I know from people I don't know.
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 08:14   Link #1803
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystogan View Post
Also the other assassin cosplay
Yes! Much better cosplay! Sadly it obviously professionally made and she was just picked to wear it because, well you don't want 1's - 7's modeling anything for you now do ya?
Old 2013-01-03, 15:17   Link #1804
Palsa-San
General of Aurda
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Yes! Much better cosplay! Sadly it obviously professionally made and she was just picked to wear it because, well you don't want 1's - 7's modeling anything for you now do ya?
Agreed. ^_^
On a side note, I've found what inspired the other cosplay: http://www.willmurai.com/Assassin-s-...rtBook-Ubisoft
Old 2013-01-06, 13:52   Link #1805
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
^ "Doesn't matter. Boobs."

So here's some very nice and serious "Alice" cosplay.. (tons of photoshop though)

Check the link below for more pictures, the rabbit one is really cute!

http://kotaku.com/5972398/for-one-da...life/gallery/1
CGI is just cheaper than practical effects these days. It's even true in movies; I felt The Hobbit skimped way, way, way too much on practical effects and looked fake and video-game-esque as a result.

Cosplayers have so little money compared to, you know, a film studio that of course they're going to use computer enhancements over practical effects... it'll be cheaper and look better than anything they could ever afford.

I much prefer Photoshopped cosplay pictures to horrible shiny fabric and bargain-basement budget costumes that look pulled out of the Adam West Batman TV series.
Old 2013-01-06, 21:13   Link #1806
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
I much prefer Photoshopped cosplay pictures to horrible shiny fabric and bargain-basement budget costumes that look pulled out of the Adam West Batman TV series.
I strongly disagree. Yes, there's a degree of quality that is the standard in cosplay, but trying to reach or surpass it through Photoshop is just cheating.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 21:30   Link #1807
sa547
*Author

Also, some people grumble when they see a cosplay picture that's too clean with even the tiny pores erased they mutter "Photochop".

Actually, it leaves me wondering if there's an unwritten rule at Comiket (and elsewhere in Japan) as to what sort of girls who should cosplay; guess it has to be the right looks and the svelte figure to begin with (thus barring those who don't and could possibly become an object of public ridicule), and then the degree of technical skill needed to craft their own costumes and gear.
Old 2013-01-06, 21:33   Link #1808
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ Considering Japan? I'm sure there's an unwritten code (a single rule is not enough ) for it. But I'm also sure that there's always rulebreakers.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 05:37   Link #1809
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I strongly disagree. Yes, there's a degree of quality that is the standard in cosplay, but trying to reach or surpass it through Photoshop is just cheating.
East Asian cosplay typically involves very very thick makeup. It's combination really...I prefer just pure makeup and costume with no shop but it's kind of inevitable once in a while. As long as the shopper's skill is good I guess
Old 2013-01-08, 02:46   Link #1810
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Trying to reach it or surpass it without digital enhancement can also be very, very expensive. I don't think cosplay photos should only be the domain of the wealthy, do you?
Old 2013-01-08, 03:30   Link #1811
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Also, some people grumble when they see a cosplay picture that's too clean with even the tiny pores erased they mutter "Photochop".
Eh, while I get the use of Photoshop for light touch ups and effects heavy shots that would otherwise be difficult, I find that if you make the picture too clean it just looks fake. And I know there's shopping involved and not just makeup and lighting because in some cases in the case of some local cosplayers, I happen to have been there at the shoot and have my own photos as references.

Quote:
Actually, it leaves me wondering if there's an unwritten rule at Comiket (and elsewhere in Japan) as to what sort of girls who should cosplay; guess it has to be the right looks and the svelte figure to begin with (thus barring those who don't and could possibly become an object of public ridicule), and then the degree of technical skill needed to craft their own costumes and gear.
You don't always have to be svelte - I don't tend to see obese cosplayers there but my personal favourite Japanese scene cosplayer (Megumi Natsume) is certainly no featherweight.

Another one worth mentioning would be Ibara, who is pretty prominent on some cosplay blogs despite being quite cross eyed. It does, admittedly, help that this can usually be hidden by effective use of camera angle and that she's gorgeous (and unlike Megumi, svelte).

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 08:18   Link #1812
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Why is we arguing about this? Isn't this pretty much spamming?
Old 2013-01-08, 08:39   Link #1813
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by U. N. Owen View Post
Spoiler for A Certain Anomalous Picture:

A modern day take on a certain would-be revolutionary, a succinct example of a Stand Alone Complex.
I completely agree.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 02:38   Link #1814
Liddo-kun
is this so?

There's already plenty of anime conventions last December. But that's not a reason that there should be no conventions for January.

First anime convention for year 2013 is Cosplay Market. Held at third floor of Jackman Plaza last Jan 12 and 13. I attended the second day. Well, Cosplay Market, as the name implies is a convention about anime related items likes wigs, costumes and figurines.

Arrived at around 11 a.m, the shops are still setting up their merchandise and people are still few.

Sign the guest book:

Shops are busy setting up their merchandise.

. . .

First cosplayer I saw is a Miku cosplayer.

My friend Alleahcim cosplaying as Ciel from Kuroshitsuji. She's rather active in cosplaying. Also saw her in Animax Carnival and the conventions held at SM Megamall.

Len Kagamine

Usagi cosplayer, she works for the shop behind her.

Need to have your wig in a different color? Paint for coloring are available at Cospray. The guy's name is Karlonne, and if you want he can spray your hair a little for free.

Mirage from Fairy Tail

League of Legends

Girl with chopper hat. She won a lot of prizes during the afternoon contests.

And some more cosplayers

Angelica with her Mio cosplay

Ok, next one is a rather energetic cosplayer. She's familiar looking so I asked. Found out that she's also the Rikka cosplayer that I saw at Megamall.

This is a convention about anime items, so let's take a little look at some of the shops. Shall we?

Noeru's Closet and Perkee Personalized Items - two stores sharing one booth. Noeru is also a cosplayer - she's the one wearing the Sheryl Nome costume. You can buy all sorts of things here. Umbrellas, keychains, costumes, teddy bears. They even sell cellphone load - ok not anime related, but I'm glad that they sell load, because I ran out of cp load in the afternoon. XD

. . .

Vogue Royal Shop - they sell wigs, plenty of them! They even have a mini salon where they will fit the wig to you.

. . .

Want to study Japanese and get the chance to have work in Japan?

Marina Bautista cosplaying as.. she told me that she usually cosplays as a schoolgirl. Though this time, she felt like wearing this costume. She has a fanpage on facebook.

Ok, it's almost past 5 pm in the afternoon and almost time to leave. Before leaving I had a conversation with Mutya - the cat eared girl at the CNPH booth.

Well, this anime convention is rather small compared to the ones held at Megamall. But the kind CNPH staff told me that they plan to hold a bigger event sometime in August. They gave a lot of prizes as well during the afternoon - some of them rather expensive, like free wig of your choice.

That's all for now. Thank you for reading.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2013-01-16 at 02:29.
Old 2013-01-15, 06:07   Link #1815
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I find it amusing when girls cosplay Ciel.

Girl pretending to be guy pretending to be girl--*explodes*
Old 2013-01-15, 10:36   Link #1816
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Registration girl doesn't seem to be too happy to be there. Poor thing.

Angelica/Mio is really selling it with that beautiful, dazzling smile.

Thanks for sharing Liddo.

Endless "Dazzled" Soul
Old 2013-01-15, 13:13   Link #1817
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I find it amusing when girls cosplay Ciel.

Girl pretending to be guy pretending to be girl--*explodes*
if only someone could pull that off
Old 2013-01-15, 16:08   Link #1818
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Angelica/Mio is really selling it with that beautiful, dazzling smile.
I was just going to say the same. Not only is that a pretty good costume but her smile's pretty cute and really helps.

Thanks for sharing the shots Liddo. I haven't been to a con in quite some time now, I miss it some times.
Old 2013-01-15, 17:33   Link #1819
Liddo-kun
is this so?

@Endless Soul

Thanks for the comment. Will tell her that someone made a good comment on her cosplay.

@Dextro

You're welcome, and thanks. Will be sure to tell Angelica about your comment.
There's a large anime convention happening this January, Otaku Expo on Jan 26-27. Going to attend that one as well, and share pics here.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2013-01-15 at 20:11.
Old 2013-01-15, 21:29   Link #1820
Palsa-San
General of Aurda
*Graphic Designer

Great pics Liddo-kun; I really liked the Mio cosplay.

Tags
cosplay, photo