Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-09-23, 22:45   Link #1461
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Older Wakana at the end was so much like her mother.
I have a hard time explaining it but she looked much more mature and at the same time not much older,if that makes any sense

This episode made me all warm and fuzzy inside but I'm sad to see these characters go.

Since they've gone their separate ways a S2 indeed doesn't seem likely,however I wouldn't mind a reunion OVA...or movie even since HSI got one.
Old 2012-09-23, 22:52   Link #1462
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

So... what was in the silent conversation?
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 22:53   Link #1463
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
not much older,if that makes any sense
I'd say she's around early twenties or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
So... what was in the silent conversation?
A confession of course. What else could it be?
Old 2012-09-23, 23:29   Link #1464
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That was absolutely not surprising in every single way. Yet I still enjoyed it. It's a good thing Tari Tari is unpretentious and doesn't take itself too seriously, because that's what makes the whole thing not just tolerable but rather enjoyable.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 23:31   Link #1465
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
There's some nitpicks I can make, but on the whole, that was an excellent and solid ending.

What stood out the most to me is how P.A. Works really pulled out all the stops at an animation/art work level. There were some glorious pieces of visual flourish in here that's right up there with the best of KyoAni, at least as far as I'm concerned. A lot of these scenes were most clearly showcased in the big musical drama production itself. The ability of the visuals to match the soaring vocals and music made all the difference in the world, imo - It was the key piece that made this an excellent ending.

Some other general notes:

1. I'm kind of amazed that the guy I was calling "the businessman" was the Chairman of the School Board. How can a School Board Chairman be this utterly heartless towards high school students? He's kind of in the wrong field of work for this sort of attitude.

2. Man, I honestly have to feel sorry for Principal Col. Sanders. It's now clear to me that the poor guy's main role in this anime is being a sadsack victim of slapstick comedy. He did the right thing in the end, but he certainly paid a heavy price for it...

3. So Wien was dropped off in car by some older man that we only catch a brief glimpse of. I guess that's Wien's father, or legal guardian at least.

4. I'm really glad they got the key family members involved. We saw plenty of Sawa's parents, and Wakana's dad. We also saw a bit of Tanaka's older sister and Konatsu's brother. I'm glad that none of these characters were forgotten about or left out of the big finale. I particularly liked how Wakana's dad was handled.

5. As flashy and nicely animated as the first half of the episode was, I think the 2nd half helped a lot in ensuring this final episode left a great lasting impression of Tari Tari. This is because...

6. It had some meaningful plot reveals. Nothing tremendously twisty, but it was still good to see that the final episode was about more than just one big final musical drama. I liked how Sawa was given a great sendoff, and how she's actually going to pursue her dreams after all. I also liked the subtle romance hints between her and Tanaka.

7. Last, but not least, I really liked how the group friendship dynamics were handled in the 2nd half of this episode. The way they video messaged Sawa over the computer, and how they all kind of stuck together right through graduation. There was a good sense of modernity to it, honestly. It felt much like how groups of teenage friends today act and keep in touch (anime doesn't always make use of real world technology like that, so it was good to see here).

Ultimately, I have to admit that the two guys were a little bit shafted compared to the three girls, but it wasn't too bad, imo. This is probably the one area where Tari Tari did leave me wanting just a bit more, but in every other area it knocked it straight out of the ballpark.

9/10 for the final episode of Tari Tari, and for the series as a whole.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-09-23 at 23:42.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 00:12   Link #1466
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

A LITTLE bit shafted??

I don't think private high school chairman in Japan have much direct contact with students, so his coldness didn't really surprise me. Nevertheless, his villainy was way, way over the top.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 01:24   Link #1467
deadite

Kinda wished to see the teacher and her baby again..
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 01:29   Link #1468
Theo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
A LITTLE bit shafted??

I don't think private high school chairman in Japan have much direct contact with students, so his coldness didn't really surprise me. Nevertheless, his villainy was way, way over the top.
Like I said before, Disney Channel villain; who can't even get PR 101 right and who's sole purpose is to have everyone declare him an asshole and have him leave in a huff when the main characters perform on stage.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 01:43   Link #1469
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
He reminds me of some baseball coaches from "adachi-land"
Old 2012-09-24, 01:48   Link #1470
deadite

anyone notice the Sawa, Taichi Duet in the airport scene?

we now know why Taichi looks down in this pic

Last edited by deadite; 2012-09-24 at 02:01.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 01:55   Link #1471
sudolicious
Otoshi-gami in training

Like Triple_R said, there's enough to complain about in this episode, but I guess that's just PA. They went for a lot of easy drama, but I still enjoyed it a lot overall.

It was nice to see what everyone is planning to do after they graduate, but they made some strange choices there again. I'm particular annoyed about the Sawa thing, which completely destroys what little bit of character development she had. She just said herself in ep12 that she "learned that there are some things I have to let go"... Yeah, like what? Becoming a jockey is a childish dream of hers - unlike taichis ambition for tennis for example, which got him an recommendation - and the whole point of her arc was for her to realize that and mature with the experience.

But again, that's just PA. Nice episode overall and a somewhat satisfying ending. I expected more from this show at the start though, pretty much like with hanasaku iroha
Old 2012-09-24, 04:27   Link #1472
hai_san

Last ep didnt go out with a bang but still a very solid episode. There wasnt that much impact from the Musical/Song, still i enjoyed it. Overall i would rate the serie 8.5, it isnt a "masterpiece" but there are still some factors that made the serie excellent on it own.
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 04:51   Link #1473
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
A LITTLE bit shafted??

Yeah. It's one thing to not care about students. It's another to waste your sunday on trying to ruin their day. (And paying people to work on a sunday so they can help do that.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 05:48   Link #1474
bluelittledino

In the beginning, I didn't know about Tari Tari. And when at first my friend mentions it, I didn't feel interested. After knowing it's about music, I started to feel interested, but not expecting something great from a musical + slice of life anime. In the end, I'm sure this one is joining my favorite anime lists.

I liked the story because of the balance between comedy and something more serious while most of other slice of life I watched is too comedy oriented. The second half is less interesting at first, but I can accept it since life can't be exciting every day. There will be boring days as well .

From the music, I expected entirely new epic song from Radiant Melody, but in the end I realized that Kokoro no Senritsu is the main song for Tari Tari. That thing doesn't disappoint me, since I really enjoyed every song in this anime.

There are some very small flaws that I noticed, but I really enjoyed Tari Tari.
Old 2012-09-24, 07:05   Link #1475
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelittledino View Post
In the beginning, I didn't know about Tari Tari. And when at first my friend mentions it, I didn't feel interested. After knowing it's about music, I started to feel interested, but not expecting something great from a musical + slice of life anime. In the end, I'm sure this one is joining my favorite anime lists.
oh stop it you

let's make a review like what Triple_R has done :

1. hahaha.. Wakana's dad in suit... like how all of main casts' family decided to come even though they know only few people will attend the festival

2. yay! arguing against that arrogant chairman is really interesting when Col. Sanders Principal come... although Vice Principal Naoko is the one who kicked him out

3. love how every students try to do their best in assisting Choir club...

4. Radiance Melody!!!!! yay!!! not as good as Kokoro no Senritsu due to one reason... not long enough!!! it's only a blink of eye then I realized... eh? it's over? wtf!

5. Sawa's decision to pursue her dream is something deep in this episode... One of Tari Tari theme is struggling with the future.... like how the group reacts but only someone annoys me... Tanaka... ;__;
don't look so sad, man! Although I don't know what Sawa's answer to you in airport... stay strong...
and why others look like they already know Tanaka's feelings??? no one surprised?? lol!

6. I won't talk anything about Wakana-Naoko's interaction in this episode... that's very anticlimactic for me... beautifully done!
Graduation ceremony is also good... makes me wonder what their juniors will do during the construction...
how the groups taking pictures and singing together with Sawa are another beautiful moment

7. Little glimpse about casts' future.... Konatsu in short hair... Wien returns to Austria... While Wakana learning Music with Naoko and taking Music Major... ^^
lastly... they put Wakana in mature version.... that makes me screams : "Okay! I want an OVA"

I'll do a proper overall rating since this anime doesn't get subforums... but maybe next time...

10/10 for this episode... hahaha
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 07:13   Link #1476
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Not quite as good as the Hanasaku Iroha finale (which was an easy 10/10), but it largely followed in its footsteps concluding with a hopeful, heartwarming and bittersweet ending. Things I really liked or lold regarding the episode:

1. Wakana lovebento round 2.

2. Kontasu being derpy with her dolphin plushy.

3. The high school musical drama. Tari Tari takes a page outta the American TV series "Glee"

4. Double ass-slap on Sawa by Wakana and Konatsu! Revenge is sweet

5. The subtle interaction between Sawa and Taichi particularly the bit where what they say was deliberately omitted. I -really- liked this. Best part of the episode actually. This is how you do romance element for a non-romance show folks, and I give shippers no sympathy since Tari Tari was never a romance series. So Nyah Nyah .

6. The graduation scene in the gym. The song and presentation of the scene was great.

7. The epilogue showing Tanaka playing badminton, Wien finding Jan, Konatsu making college friends and Wakana looking sexy in casual clothings and high heels (mature ftw).

There were two things however, that caused an eyebrow to rise or so:

1. The whole Chairman incident. Manufactured and artificial drama and made the chairman look like a Disney Channel villain.

2. The Vice Principal pulling down the chairman's pants and then getting fired. Talk about his pride being totally destroyed and him being emasculated. Please tell me Mari Okada wasn't writing this scene by off-chance....

Otherwise, it was a very solid finish to an excellent series. Tari tari confirms that PA Works' slice of life anime originals are some of the best in the industry for the genre and it's pretty much locked in I'll be watching their shows in the future.

In a nutshell, Tari Tari is simplicity done to its finest. The premise is standard, the cast is standard, but it's full of heart, genuinity and is the definition of unpretentious. Perfect balance of comedy and drama, lighthearted and seriousness, and unlike many drama shows (*cough Anohana, Ano Natsu, Kokoro Connect *cough) it seldom goes overboard with melodrama (only the Sawa arc I will question) and the lighthearted moments are pinpoint, sharp and don't linger on unlike those Japanese gag-centric shows. For me, Tari Tari is what K-on never was, and what Hanasaku Iroha -nearly was- (though Iroha was still excellent) by combining both a musical element and coming of age without resorting to one-dimensional moe pandering or outrageous plot decisions (*e.g. Iroha episode 3*).

Not quite the perfect show I hoped for, but it's close. Tied with Jinrui and Hyouka for favourite of the season at which I rate all three 8.5/10s, being a shy away from making my all-time favourite lists (9/10 is cutoff).

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-09-24 at 08:00.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 07:52   Link #1477
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was an excellent ending to an excellent show. Probably my favorite of the season. One can argue it was too predictable, but I don't see the problem with that. Better predictable and great than unpredictable and terrible. Tari Tari did everything right in my book. The characters were all great in their own way, the drama was subtle and not heavy-handed like in a lot of anime these days, and the score and visuals were fantastic. I couldn't have asked for more.

Now, a few unorganized comments about the final episode itself:

- Props to the principal for standing up to the chairman. Too bad he paid such a hefty price for it. And too bad he looked so pathetic.

- Wien found a way to be a prince like he wanted. A frog prince

- Radiant melody was a good song.

- I'm happy Wakana and the Vice Principal managed to grow closer. That was a very nice scene. The VP sure has mellowed out over the course of the series.

- Konatsu and Wakana double butt-slap to Sawa was

- Taichi confessed to Sawa after all. A bit too late, sadly.

- I enjoyed the epilogues. I just wish they had taken place a bit further into the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudolicious View Post
It was nice to see what everyone is planning to do after they graduate, but they made some strange choices there again. I'm particular annoyed about the Sawa thing, which completely destroys what little bit of character development she had. She just said herself in ep12 that she "learned that there are some things I have to let go"... Yeah, like what? Becoming a jockey is a childish dream of hers - unlike taichis ambition for tennis for example, which got him an recommendation - and the whole point of her arc was for her to realize that and mature with the experience.

But again, that's just PA. Nice episode overall and a somewhat satisfying ending. I expected more from this show at the start though, pretty much like with hanasaku iroha
I was bothered by this too. I thought Sawa had learnt her lesson and decided to stop chasing this near impossible dream. Sometimes you have to know when to give up. Her decision leaves me with mixed feelings.
Old 2012-09-24, 07:59   Link #1478
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

well just finish watching it all yea nice good series in slice of life glee style anime.

really it good series some ha ha especially sentai/power rangers eps doing & final performance very good.

overall good series & good end.
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 08:30   Link #1479
Sphire

Ah man, I'm gonna miss this show. After somewhat marathoning through the 12 first episodes, ep 13 was a nice closure to the series.

I will agree that the chairman villainy was a bit over the top, and somewhat unnecessary given that I don't really think it would've altered the ending much. Maybe it had a bit more bang given it was the last festival for the school. And yea, what happened to the Principle? Hahaha.

It was weird too having just one performance for a festival, haha. I would've liked to have seen more of the musical drama, but we got the song in the end. Nice to see side-characters from the show returning, but not seeing Wien's family was a shame.

Thankfully we got more than just the performance. We got to see the characters up to graduation. I do like how they handled Sawa. True, she's still chasing a dream that 'supposedly' was out of reach (although, I don't think Sawa ever personally gave up), but she still had to make sacrifices. Moving overseas and learning a new language and culture isn't necessarily simple and easy....or fun.

We also see everyone else doing their own thing too. Wakana getting back into music. Konatsu most likely getting into music at college/uni. Tanaka doing his badmin thing, Wien...uh...reuniting with Jan (in Austria it looked like). It would've been great if this was a 2-cour show, since it had the characters to carry it, but such is the way it is. Sad that there will unlikely be a second season either, just given how things panned out.

As for TanakaxSawa, I can't help but want something meatier, although that's probably just me wanting more of the show. It was still done really well. Still pretty poignant. And reminds me of School Rumble. And that is never bad, haha.

Now, for the overall show and season, well, I was debating giving between an 8 or a 9 out of 10. But with how I really feel like I'll miss the show, I'm going to have to give it at least a 9/10. I also ended up re-watching episodes between releases, something I rarely do, only when I really like the show.
Spoiler for Long ass review:

Every year, for the past 6 or so years, I'm somehow blessed to be able to watch something that immediately becomes a favourite, of which I currently only have 7. Last year was AnoHana, and the year before was Katanagatari. This year could very well be Tari Tari. I tend to rate these shows a 10/10, although AnoHana I gave a 9 and I'll probably give a 9 to Tari Tari too. I think that's more because both shows are 1-cour than anything else though. There's just this sense I have of just not being fully satisfied with 1-cour shows.

And looking at my MAL (which I haven't opened in a while), and seeing shows I've given 8s and 9s to, I really think I have to, at minimum, give Tari Tari a 9. Like AnoHana, it'll probably wander up to 10 on occasion, heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
anyone notice the Sawa, Taichi Duet in the airport scene?

we now know why Taichi looks down in this pic

Spoiler for Pic is big:
Haha, now I know why I felt something was a bit off with that picture. Sawa looked different and the bags looked out of place. Tanaka seemed to be acting too cool too, haha. But it all makes sense now after ep 13. Thanks for putting the pic up to remind me.
Old 2012-09-24, 08:35   Link #1480
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Forgot to mention, but Tari Tari is pretty much confirmed to be PA's Works 2nd best series after True Tears. Funny both abbreviate to TT .
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, music, original anime, pa works