AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-05-13, 11:26   Link #41
Dop
Mmmm....

This was a brilliant episode, at first I thought it was maybe Kitaro teaching that guy a lesson, but it was so much more than that. A real 'actions have consequences' moral tale for the times we live in.

Quite wonderfully spooky.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-13, 11:36   Link #42
Idealist 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
However this episode was really, really not even close to kids friendly, it was wow super serious adult mature. it don't have sex or gore but the story focus not was really something a kid would like to watch.

this episode really hit hard in some japan big issues, i'm really impressed with it.
The third season was more kids friendly, it introduced an upbeat and heroic Kitaro instead of the gloomy and harsh Kitaro from the manga. However the 4th season was more faithful to the manga version of Kitaro.

It was a good twist knowing both of those character were dead from the start, I wonder if that girl and her friends will stop bullying the other girl in school. It was spooky how Kitaro warn her about her bullying action. Sadly this is all he will do to stop the bullying.

Speaking of which, I hard about hardcore DB fans bashing Kitaro before airing Just for replacing Dragonball Super..
So, how does Gegege Kitaro look now compare to Dragonball Super? Considering how DBS was heavily criticized for its writing and Gegege Kitaro does seem to have better writing, character and story.
Old 2018-05-13, 14:08   Link #43
AntonKutovoi

As far as DBS goes, I loved Future Trunks arc and mostly loved Tournament of Power arc. But I'm definitely liking Kitaro much more.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-13, 14:55   Link #44
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
This was a brilliant episode, at first I thought it was maybe Kitaro teaching that guy a lesson, but it was so much more than that. A real 'actions have consequences' moral tale for the times we live in.

Quite wonderfully spooky.
yeah when the plot twist come to me i get the "sixth sense" vibe here, that episode caught me totally offguard, specially after the anime being all "shounen with battles" having a episode like that totally focused on the "villian" and the mc plaiyng the "background character" like that was not what i was expectating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealist 99 View Post
The third season was more kids friendly, it introduced an upbeat and heroic Kitaro instead of the gloomy and harsh Kitaro from the manga. However the 4th season was more faithful to the manga version of Kitaro.

It was a good twist knowing both of those character were dead from the start, I wonder if that girl and her friends will stop bullying the other girl in school. It was spooky how Kitaro warn her about her bullying action. Sadly this is all he will do to stop the bullying.

Speaking of which, I hard about hardcore DB fans bashing Kitaro before airing Just for replacing Dragonball Super..
So, how does Gegege Kitaro look now compare to Dragonball Super? Considering how DBS was heavily criticized for its writing and Gegege Kitaro does seem to have better writing, character and story.
if you go back to previous episodes even if they where a little dark with death, they still somehow "shounen standarts with "battles" but this episode was totally focused on the villian and kintaro was pretty much a background character just watching over the shit boss getting his punishment by others tham himself it was like "watching another serie" compared with previous episodes.
Old 2018-05-13, 16:44   Link #45
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Kitarou's origin story was animated in the noitaiminA release, Hakaba Kitarou. It's only available in fansubs as far as I know. And, yes, it's pretty dark.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-14, 01:37   Link #46
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faux Mecha View Post
lets not forget the basics 101 of the titular character himself and his father whom both has a gruesome origin story (you can see partially in the OP).......... for the kids.
Yeah, in whatever slot it's aired this series has always gone dark at times, because the source material does too. I would rank this as one of the darker - and better - versions, though.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-15, 16:49   Link #47
Mistyclear

Certainly was a dark episode I was not expecting, but hey I loved it. Keep up the good work.
Mistyclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-17, 03:41   Link #48
jdennis007

I loved this episode, an actual "horror" one. I hope we get more of a mix of these and the previous type of episodes.
Old 2018-05-20, 01:16   Link #49
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

When Kitaro and Neko went into Mana's house, they didn't take off their shoes. Are yokai exempt from that rule?

LOL when Kagami-jijii said both Mana and Neko looked like his first love. But then I thought it would turn out that the Sand Witch was his first love...
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-20, 01:38   Link #50
Blueknight78

wow after a pretty dark and mature previous episode we are getting back to the trackm of "old shounen style" with kitaro fighting the "monster of the week" and really much more light tham the previous one, probably previous episode have a lot of chances of being the "darkest episode" in this serie.

Last edited by Blueknight78; 2018-05-20 at 01:50.
Blueknight78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-21, 00:56   Link #51
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Was I the only one to notice Shiro in the latest episode (8)? I mean, for crying out loud, he was on first plane.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-21, 01:03   Link #52
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
Was I the only one to notice Shiro in the latest episode (8)?
I thought that was him! Was going to mention it, but then I forgot. I'm old...
Old 2018-05-27, 11:28   Link #53
Blueknight78

after this episode, i'm not too sure if i'm right however, i feel this serie is being a sort of "criticizing toward japan worklife", so far at last 3 to 4 episodes where about "work" and at last 2 where about "shit bosses" it's feel like this anime agenda is try to show to kids how crap is work in japan, how you have scums taking advantage of the peoples.

And poor yokai of "hard work", he become useless in a society where peoples already do it "naturally without his help and become somehow "immune to him", it was fun seeying the guy which was supposed to be the villian turning in the hero and also lol at that "shirikodama" , really funny episode but i can't stop to feel a "anti-hardwork" mentality agenda on that and how you can have scums taking advantage of it and make peoples working for x3 or even x4 times what they where supposed to work.

Also in the end the guy get his "punishment for being greedy" and crap.
Old 2018-05-27, 11:53   Link #54
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

I had to look up "shirikodama" Who the heck came up with that idea?
Old 2018-05-27, 13:22   Link #55
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've seen kappa back to School Rumble, but I never bothered to look into the legends until your suggestion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_(folklore)

I'm glad I looked it up. It explains a lot even if the legend is incredibly weird.

The cucumbers and wrestling are part of the lore as well, along with the plates on their heads.

Kappas are also sometimes thought to rape women. I thought Cat-chick's and Sand-witch's reactions to their assault had a whiff of sexual fear about it not apparent in the male victims.

This show is coming down hard on Japanese workplace culture. The kappas even formed a union! I find these themes pretty amusing. The ending was priceless.
Old 2018-05-27, 14:22   Link #56
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
This show is coming down hard on Japanese workplace culture. The kappas even formed a union! I find these themes pretty amusing. The ending was priceless.
Yeah, i'm really getting a big feelings of "let's show how crap is workplace in japan" on this show.

The japanese "slavery" work and bully aspects are really being strong on that show.
Old 2018-05-27, 14:39   Link #57
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

I might be wrong, but I think the kappa also represented non-japanese workers that might be treated badly (in an already bad working environment).

Also, I get the feeling that cat girl is feeding the leg fetish of future generations ^^;

It was nice to see nezumi otoko (should I call him "mickey mouse"?) come with an smartphone app for the reports, now they only have to create a filter for all the ones without relation to yokai.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-27, 16:35   Link #58
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
I might be wrong, but I think the kappa also represented non-japanese workers that might be treated badly (in an already bad working environment).
The treatment of the kappas does bear similarities to the use of foreign "interns" by Japanese companies.

Quote:
In a lawsuit filed in a Japanese court, [Chinese "technical interns"] Lu, Qian and Jiang claim that rather than training them, Kameda forced them to work excessive hours at below minimum wage. In 2011, their busiest year, the women were working 16 hours a day, six days a week, with 15 minutes for lunch, according to the lawsuit and work records. For that, they were paid around $4 per hour, according to records reviewed by Reuters.

Other former interns have made similar allegations in dozens of lawsuits filed in Japan.

The most recent government data show there are about 155,000 technical interns in Japan. Nearly 70 percent are from China, where some labor recruiters require payment of bonds worth thousands of dollars to work in Japan. Interns toil in apparel and food factories, on farms and in metal-working shops. In these workplaces, labor abuse is endemic: A 2012 investigation by Japanese labor inspectors found 79 percent of companies that employed interns were violating labor laws.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-j...0EN06G20140612
Old 2018-05-27, 16:39   Link #59
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That's all true, but none of this is an invention of the anime, you know? Mizuki was always pretty open about his views on social justice. It's just that the anime is doing a very good job of contemporizing things enough to make them relevant to what's happening in 2018.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-27, 16:51   Link #60
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I have no prior experience with the franchise other than Hakaba Kitarou so all this is new to me.

Tags
old anime, remake