AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-04, 21:37   Link #1121
Judoh
Mystery buff

It's version 4.2
Old 2010-09-04, 21:46   Link #1122
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Meh. The entire text contains something on the scale of 700 unique 11 and 13 letter English words.

Of them, only four words contain every letter in 'qilian':

liquidation
quadrillion
qualification
unqualified

If we take a long shot and remember that the new name of the original Qilian station, "Shipai", is also a six-letter word, more words fit, but none of them sound particularly meaningful:

atmospheric
craftsmanship
hospitality
philosophical
relationships
sophisticated
sportsmanship
swordsmanship
sympathetic
sympathized
unhappiness

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-09-04, 22:09   Link #1123
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Okay I managed to find an older version of the WH patch. This is how that line looked like when I read it:

"............That is definitely where he was born, but I think Odawara probably wasn't a beloved homeland for Father. I believe that all of the siblings have the same feelings regarding that."

Old 2010-09-04, 22:13   Link #1124
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Japanese is too laconic for it's own good.

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-09-04, 22:19   Link #1125
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

True. Plus the fact that everyone thinks "Taiwan" and no one mention it was definitely a narrative artifact.

Old 2010-09-05, 03:27   Link #1126
cmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I think that there are two main elements that are necessary to solve this epitaph, at least for the people inside the games:

1) You need to know which is Kinzo's hometown (why the heck the cousins never asked to their parents?)
After reading ep7 I thought about this. The original episodes are fictions, written by Beatrice, they describe things from her perspective. Beatrice didn't know about Kinzo's hometown before Genji told her, so maybe she thought that the relatives don't know it either, not realizing that it's a common knowledge among them. Makes you wonder how accurate other descriptions and characterizations are.
Old 2010-09-05, 03:36   Link #1127
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I dunno, there's something about Bernkastel's discussion of the epitaph solution that makes me question that. She mentions how difficult it is to actually wrangle the location out of anybody in the stories; they all seem to conspicuously avoid saying it outright (until ep7, anyway).

That, to me, speaks of an author (or authors) who don't actually know Kinzo's beloved hometown, but do know his children probably know. This would apply only to ep1-4, but possibly to ep5-6 as well. Of course, that then makes you ask how anyone could write about Eva solving the epitaph without knowing the actual answer themselves (especially since the ep3 details strongly suggest they do know of the railroad part), but I guess they could pretend they knew. Not like anything exists anymore to check.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Old 2010-09-05, 04:33   Link #1128
kiby

Just finished ep 7 a few hours ago and I had to think about it ...

It's pretty obvious that the "multiple author theory" helps to solve two kind of possibilities in the cat box. One would be yasu's fantasy and the other one would be the "truth" we saw in the tea party. The problem is we are surching "The Truth" (well it's the first goal that was presented in umineko).

Still I do not want to believe that umineko is just a acumulation of fake stories till we have the true one, because it would mean that only ep8 is important after all.
But i guess we have two choises....wait for ep8 or play again and again beato's game like bern does.

As I've found leon and will too cool I want them back in ep 8 (ok it's not related to the mystery ^^")
Old 2010-09-05, 07:33   Link #1129
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Thinking back on Yasu and his/her injury, is it possible that the damage was to their face rather than their private parts? Serious damage to the face is another reason some think themselves ruined for marriage.

If so, and they have to literally "wear a face" all the time (presumably with a good make-up job), then this changing of identities could have a more literal meaning. Furthermore, it would be easy to fake a mutilated face if their real face is hideously disfigured underneath the make-up.

(MyAnimeList banner on hiatus until I bother to update my MyAnimeList status again...)
Old 2010-09-05, 07:58   Link #1130
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post
Thinking back on Yasu and his/her injury, is it possible that the damage was to their face rather than their private parts? Serious damage to the face is another reason some think themselves ruined for marriage.

If so, and they have to literally "wear a face" all the time (presumably with a good make-up job), then this changing of identities could have a more literal meaning. Furthermore, it would be easy to fake a mutilated face if their real face is hideously disfigured underneath the make-up.
...difficult. yasu sustained the injury not a year after s/he was born, and I find it hard to imagine very little kids are already a hollywood-grade make-up artist. Unless there's someone's backing (Genji comes to mind), but there's no hint pointing at that at all.
Old 2010-09-05, 08:01   Link #1131
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post

I thought about that too, but it doesn't really work when we suppose that the injury occured when s/he dropped down the cliff as an infant. The scene at the end implies that it was something that Yasu was not fully aware off and a disfigured ace would be rather hard to hide from Yasu...unless they entered her sleeping quarter every night and applied heavy make-up to her face and taught her to never wash her face...

But I thought of something else just now, when I read this.
There is still an event that we cannot really trace back to an actuall event and that is the servant that fell down the stairs and suffered a horrible injury that lead him or her to leave Rokkenjima.
The sources to this are rather blurry, some say that ghost story was around when Yasu started, but thinking about it, the legend of Beatrice was not that strong among the servants (it was more about random ghosts).

So what if that is an event that actually happened and Yasu suffered that injury they were talking about in exactly that incident. It always bothered me when they were talking about that servant and the injury (not even just an injury, but a huge injury 大怪我), but it never got any more detailed. And then as you said, we have greatly disfigured corpses randomly popping up...just as if somebody was hiding something through that alteration.
Old 2010-09-05, 08:04   Link #1132
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I came to the conclusion that Yasu's wound is a very hideous scar on the chest.

Old 2010-09-05, 08:19   Link #1133
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:
Originally Posted by chounokoe View Post
I thought about that too, but it doesn't really work when we suppose that the injury occured when s/he dropped down the cliff as an infant. The scene at the end implies that it was something that Yasu was not fully aware off and a disfigured ace would be rather hard to hide from Yasu...unless they entered her sleeping quarter every night and applied heavy make-up to her face and taught her to never wash her face...
Good point, I was having a hard time thinking how it would go back to being an infant, although perhaps that's why Yasu's narrative doesn't start until they are old enough to consider it. But yeah, it doesn't sound like it would work out too well.

Quote:
There is still an event that we cannot really trace back to an actuall event and that is the servant that fell down the stairs and suffered a horrible injury that lead him or her to leave Rokkenjima.
The sources to this are rather blurry, some say that ghost story was around when Yasu started, but thinking about it, the legend of Beatrice was not that strong among the servants (it was more about random ghosts).

So what if that is an event that actually happened and Yasu suffered that injury they were talking about in exactly that incident. It always bothered me when they were talking about that servant and the injury (not even just an injury, but a huge injury 大怪我), but it never got any more detailed. And then as you said, we have greatly disfigured corpses randomly popping up...just as if somebody was hiding something through that alteration.

Now that's interesting. I did think it was a bit odd about that flashback (in that Yasu seems to be complaining to Nanjo and Genji at a more mature age at some unspecified point in time), but if it was a more recent injury, it makes a good bit more sense, as well as why the "servant that fell down the stairs" story keeps popping up.

(MyAnimeList banner on hiatus until I bother to update my MyAnimeList status again...)

Last edited by Ayu-ayu; 2010-09-05 at 08:27. Reason: clarification of flashback
Old 2010-09-05, 08:49   Link #1134
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by chounokoe View Post

What if that servant who fell down the stairs is instead the original Shannon that Yasu based her "Shannon" from?
Old 2010-09-05, 08:49   Link #1135
cmos

Beatrice blames Genji and Nanjo for that they saved her and made her live with such body at some point after she solved the epitaph, became the head and received qualifications to know all the truth. Before that she had no right to speak to them in such tone. If that is more recent injury, I think that she would know that they saved her for a long time already and maybe somehow get over it. It makes more sense if the injury was when she wasn't conscious and therefore didn't know until recently that they saved her.
Old 2010-09-05, 08:55   Link #1136
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Heh, I'm sorry but the connection is very far-fetched. The episode of the servant that got injured happened very recently, since the portrait was already displayed. However Yasu's injury goes back to when she was a newborn baby. There's at least a 17 years difference.

Old 2010-09-05, 09:16   Link #1137
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmos
After reading ep7 I thought about this. The original episodes are fictions, written by Beatrice, they describe things from her perspective. Beatrice didn't know about Kinzo's hometown before Genji told her, so maybe she thought that the relatives don't know it either, not realizing that it's a common knowledge among them. Makes you wonder how accurate other descriptions and characterizations are.
On the other hand, since Eva actually took a trip over to Taiwan to check it out, it seems like the adults seriously discussed it as a possibility at some point. It would be kind of strange for some of that not to have leaked out to the servants along the way unless they were being excessively secretive about it. As long as the trip didn't happen until after Yasu solved the epitaph, there wouldn't be any contradiction with her needing a hint... Did that trip have any kind of date associated with it?

I'll yank this bit over from the epitaph thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
There is also Shannon in EP1 that says that Kinzo's hometown was probably very far from the Kanto region.
Idle speculation here. If she did know that the adults knew, it's interesting that she didn't make any effort to give the cousins information parity during this scene. Since the epitaph isn't solvable without that information, maybe she never intended for them to properly challenge it in the first place? She's got this big fantasy murder performance laid out for them, so maybe she wanted to make sure they'd focus on that.
Old 2010-09-05, 09:24   Link #1138
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Maybe she wanted a miracle even bigger than the one Kinzo wished for.
But seriously Battler (the piece) really had zero chances to solve the epitaph. Yasu herself needed several days to solve it and she knew the two basic hints well.

Battler didn't know either of those. At least on EP2 he was brought in front of the chapel, but as for any other episodes he had absolutely no way to remember that place.

Old 2010-09-05, 09:30   Link #1139
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

But on the other hand, Beatrice doesn't care whether the epitaph is solved or not. She gains nothing regardless of the outcome. So to the extent that she's looking for a miracle to occur, it doesn't seem like it can be connected to successfully solving the epitaph.
Old 2010-09-05, 09:37   Link #1140
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

True. But then I wonder why she wrote those letters for.
Anyway I'm fairly sure now that her real objective is to test the cousins somehow, at least Jessica, Battler and George. I just can't quite understand what kind of test this is supposed to be.

Closed Thread