AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-12-22, 16:55   Link #3821
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

NFL Draft shake-up: Matt Barkley coming back to USC for senior season in hopes of a National Championship.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/s...staying-school
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-22, 19:43   Link #3822
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

That special time of week is here again, so you know what that means:

Houston at Indianapolis, Winner: Houston. Justification: Well, none. The Texans have a team that they can't possibly fuck up against.

Denver at Buffalo, Winner: Denver. Justification: This week, Tebow Time will be the whole fucking game.

Arizona at Cincinnati, Winner: Arizona. Justification: One of my Contrarian picks of the week.

Jacksonville at Tennessee, Winner: Jacksonville. Justification: My second contrarian pick of the week.

Oakland at Kansas City, Winner: Oakland. Justification: Palmer gets mad, Jackson gets desperate, and Janikowski kicks a record setting field goal in the victory for The Raiders.

Miami at New England, Winner: Miami. Justification: One hell of an upset for The Patriots.

New York (Giants) at New York (Jets), Winner: New York (Giants). Justification: Eli shows that there's still some "Elite" left in him.

St. Louis at Pittsburgh, Winner: Pittsburgh. Justification: A pyrrhic victory for The Steelers.

Los Angeles at Washington, Winner: Washington. Justification: Just another step in The Dons path to playing in The City of Angels.

Tampa Bay at Carolina, Winner: Carolina. Justification: Tampa Bay can't do anything right, The Panthers are going to be dangerous next year.

Cleveland at Baltimore, Winner: Baltimore. Justification: The Ravens, in usual form, will nearly grasp defeat from the jaw of victory.

San Diego at Detroit, Winner: Detroit. Justification: The Baltimore game aside, there's just no hope of The Chargers winning this one.

Philadelphia at Dallas, Winner: Philadelphia. Justification: Hope spot for The Eagles.

San Francisco at Seattle, Winner: San Francisco. Justification: The Niners suffocating defense shuts down The Seahawks.

Chicago at Green Bay, Winner: Chicago. Justification: Another one of my contrarian picks for this week.

Atlanta at New Orleans, Winner: Atlanta. Justification: Because.
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-22, 19:54   Link #3823
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Ravens could probably handle New England in the playoffs. I'd be surprised if the Patriots win a playoff game still. They don't have a defense. And you need to have at least a decent unit if you want to get far. At least in most cases.
I agree and that's why I'm not holding my breath, but remember, Green Bay have the 2nd worst defense in the league and it isn't stopping people from proclaiming them likely victors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Let me remind you how 18-1 was made possible. And no, I'm not referencing that Tyree catch.

Spoiler:

The way to beat the Patriots had been made simple since that day. And the Jets made a show of that last year in the divisional round. Could anyone this year pull off that same feat of keeping Brady on the ground and/or off the field?

The Ravens can - if at home. And the Niners. Oh look, both Harbaugh teams. I'm willing to say the Steelers as well, barring Big Ben's foot.
Even with the admittedly stellar performance by the Giants rush during that super bowl, you did still need the Tyree catch at the end to seal the deal. Can Flacco replicate Manning's game? Doubtful. I still think even with the Baltimore defense the Patriots can put up a solid 30+ point game. And it won't be in Baltimore anyways (unless Miami or Buffalo pull off an upset). 49ers might be a problem but they're NFC so that's something to worry about later, if we can even make it past the first game this postseason.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-22, 19:56   Link #3824
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
Jacksonville at Tennessee, Winner: Jacksonville. Justification: My second contrarian pick of the week.
Is it really contrarian to pick against the team that lost to the defeated Colts?

Quote:
Chicago at Green Bay, Winner: Chicago. Justification: Another one of my contrarian picks for this week.
I dunno if I fully agree, but I definitely think Green Bay will rest their starters. As such, the Bears have a chance. Also as such, I can't start Rodgers in my fantasy finale this week.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-22, 20:38   Link #3825
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Is it really contrarian to pick against the team that lost to the defeated Colts?

I dunno if I fully agree, but I definitely think Green Bay will rest their starters. As such, the Bears have a chance. Also as such, I can't start Rodgers in my fantasy finale this week.
If you take a crack at ESPN's playoff machine, you might catch what I'm trying to imply here.
Old 2011-12-22, 23:37   Link #3826
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Houston at Indianapolis, Winner: Houston. Justification: Well, none. The Texans have a team that they can't possibly fuck up against.
WRONG!

I loved that finish. Houston gave up some many penalties all game and turned it over too much. They gave Indianapolis chance after chance and eventually it happened. Sayonara to your first round bye, Texans! So good to see Reggie Wayne in full flight once more.

Also the first time ever that a team with one win or less has ever beaten a team with 10 or more wins in NFL history.

For the heck of it, my thoughts for the remaining games

Denver at Buffalo, Winner: Denver. Because Denver defense. Stuff Tebow.

Arizona at Cincinnati, Winner: Cincinatti. Defense > Skelton and Fitzgerald.

Jacksonville at Tennessee, Winner: Tennessee. They play Locker from the start and don't blow this one.

Oakland at Kansas City, Winner: Kansas City. The defensive scrap continues and Palmer gets picked big time.

Miami at New England, Winner: New England. Brady sets the ground for the pursuit of Marino's record.

New York (Giants) at New York (Jets), Winner: New York (Jets). Giants receivers are butterfingers and whingers. Eli will keep them in it but they will lose it.

St. Louis at Pittsburgh, Winner: Pittsburgh. Big Ben tolls once more.

Minnesota at Washington, Winner: Minnesota. Peterson gets some speed back, Ponder throws accurately, Grossman blows it.

Tampa Bay at Carolina, Winner: Carolina. Tampa Bay are hopeless on offense right now. Carolina take Cam Newton on the way to break Peyton Manning's rookie year passing yards record.

Cleveland at Baltimore, Winner: Baltimore. Ray Rice goes berserk and Flacco sits back.

San Diego at Detroit, Winner: Detroit. Megatron goes on a massacre and Suh taunts Rivers.

Philadelphia at Dallas, Winner: Dallas. They're playing much better than they were in early rounds. Plus even I can't justify the Giants getting to the playoffs anymore.

San Francisco at Seattle, Winner: San Francisco. Seattle will stay in touch but Harbaugh will grind Carroll's optimism into the ground.

Chicago at Green Bay, Winner: Green Bay. Chicago have no offense left. Believe it.

Atlanta at New Orleans, Winner: New Orleans. Brees takes his last step to breaking Dan Marino's record and schools the pretenders and wannabe Matt Ryan in how to play, plus Dunta Robinson acts like a thug again and increases Falcon hatred.

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2011-12-22 at 23:55.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 01:23   Link #3827
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
About that...
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 01:50   Link #3828
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I agree and that's why I'm not holding my breath, but remember, Green Bay have the 2nd worst defense in the league and it isn't stopping people from proclaiming them likely victors.
True. They look like they are losing a bit of steam though. And I felt this way before they lost to Kansas City. They still have a strong chance to win a Super Bowl, but I'd just be really weary about that defense. If Rodgers has one average game, a repeat of what happened last Sunday wouldn't be surprising. They do get turnovers though, that does offset the amount of yards they give up.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 01:54   Link #3829
Kyuu
=^^=

Consider this:

The other AFC South teams tanked to ensure the Colts do not get Andrew Luck, or else suffer an extra decade under Colts dominance.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 04:47   Link #3830
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
About that...
Yeah, I wasn't expecting that at all. Guess that's what I get by trying to be "sane" in making picks.
Old 2011-12-23, 12:11   Link #3831
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

LOL Colts going to miss out on Luck. What kind of an idiot is that coach to try and win meaningless games and give up the #1 pick...now Minnesota's going to get him and then LOOK OUT!
Old 2011-12-23, 12:21   Link #3832
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't expecting that at all. Guess that's what I get by trying to be "sane" in making picks.
sane in a insane season?

MADNESS!!!
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 12:52   Link #3833
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
LOL Colts going to miss out on Luck. What kind of an idiot is that coach to try and win meaningless games and give up the #1 pick...now Minnesota's going to get him and then LOOK OUT!
Actually, pretty sure that Indy still has the #1 pick as long as they don't win a third game. If they do, then the Rams and Vikings need to win one as well, but I'm not sure how the SoS will work out with a third win.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 13:41   Link #3834
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

One wonders why Orlovksy had been benched so long while Painter floundered.

No, we don't - Luck.

I doubt they'll win their final game, so I doubt Minnesota would end up in the race for Luck. It's not like Ponder is a hack either - there's potential to build a team around him.

All that said, I loved watching that game. Finally got to see that Houston defence in action and I get why they're rated so highly. Reed, Cushings and Watt - yikes. So many batted balls and pass rushes. Defense only faltered in the final drive with sloppy penalties. The Houston offense was what let them down. Arian Foster just failed to protect the ball - plus they had some lucky bounces/near-interceptions as well. Foster is great at punching holes but ball security - not convinced. I'd still take Ray Rice over Arian Foster.
Old 2011-12-23, 15:01   Link #3835
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

I imagine that if St. Louis or Minny gets the no. 1 pick, they'll dangle it for trade bait and go for a coup for draft picks. Someone like the Redskins would definitely do it.

Both Ponder and Bradford have shown that they can succeed when they get the proper tools around them, over Luck who is still unproven and mostly hype. Bradford hasn't played well this season compared to his rookie season, but that's just because he has been playing hurt all season. Plus, both those guys have current love affairs with their front offices. If anything, they are in a battle for OT Matt Kalil.

You can't just quit on a young QB after you committed to him in the first round. It's just not economical or sensible.

As for my Panthers, currently they are projected to pick in the 6th-8th range. Hopefully, we can win out and push that back a bit. A DT is the primary need, but the problem is there is a pretty weak DL class this year, so the Panthers may have to go best player available.

Hello, Morris Claiborne, Rick Reiff or Alshon Jeffery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
One wonders why Orlovksy had been benched so long while Painter floundered.

No, we don't - Luck.
To be fair, Orlovksy had been basically out of the league for the pass year and was brought back in at week 3 after being cut in the preseason. It's not like they had any reason to have faith in him.

Last edited by Dilla; 2011-12-23 at 15:35.
Old 2011-12-23, 15:06   Link #3836
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
Well any coach with this record is going to get fired anyways. Plus, you can't be thinking about draft status during the regular season. People are playing for their jobs and other opportunities for other teams if/and/or when they are released, traded, etc.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 15:21   Link #3837
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

^Exactly.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/12/14/winl...-caldwell-job/

These guys are playing for their jobs right now, I doubt that they really care about sandbagging it for a no. 1 pick at this point.
Old 2011-12-24, 15:50   Link #3838
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

Ah Teblow back to back pick 6.
Old 2011-12-24, 16:02   Link #3839
Drob_QB7
AYE SIR!

Now that tebow has Lost 2 in a row the tebow haters will finally have a reason to tal about him.
Drob_QB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 16:40   Link #3840
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

With NYG beating NYJ today, the NFC East will come down to Cowboys-Giants next week. The Eagles have been eliminated. Romo has been knocked out the game vs the Eagles on the first drive.

Carolina rolls and Cammy Cam breaks the rookie passing record set by Peyton Manning. The team will be dangerous in the coming years.

Vikings are eliminated from the 1st overall pick competition. It's now down to St. Louis or Indy.

Edit: Something epic from Jerome Simpson in the Bengals-Cardinals game.

Damn. . .

Last edited by Dilla; 2011-12-24 at 16:52.

Tags
american football, sports