AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-08-30, 23:39   Link #181
Windy
Smug AF Birb

Send a message via MSN to Windy
Its quite scary to me that when I first picked up Touhou 9 months ago I couldn't even make it past Stage 4 of EoSD on EASY MODO before blowing all my continues.

Improving has taken some time since picking up the series again but I recently 1cc'd EoSD on hard and gotten used to SakuyaB's speed and shot type enough to 1cc PCB normal with her.

Now if only I could 1cc IN hard with Reimu Solo...curse your weak power...
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 22:35   Link #182
Kudryavka

Am currently playing Highly Responsive to Prayers (yes, the very first game of Touhou) on Easy, and it's a bit hair thinning. Most stages take no more than two tries to pass, but the second boss on the Hell path is kinda driving me crazy. Unlike Arkanoid, you have to actually try to aim the ball, and there are no walls for it to frantically bounce off on and break blocks, hm...
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 13:43   Link #183
Bolt237

I am very bad at Touhou. Ehh~ Easy modo? and all that

I use Reimu B btw I play EoSD and PCB

Also, have people played the fighting games? I've played SWR and Hisoutensoku

And lastly, do any other people have really weird things that they do? Like me, I ALWAYS play 3 lives no continues. For some reason.
Bolt237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-30, 00:31   Link #184
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

1cc (1 continue complete) game isn't weird, though. In fact, that's what most people play.
Old 2010-09-30, 00:57   Link #185
Ota-kun
v イイエイイエイイエ!!!v

I thought 1cc = 1 credit complete? Ugh....Cave shooters have gotten stuck in my mind lately....UGH
Ota-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-30, 02:08   Link #186
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ota-kun View Post
I thought 1cc = 1 credit complete? Ugh....Cave shooters have gotten stuck in my mind lately....UGH
I guess it is, because I didn't really play much arcade shmup . My term comes from most of console and PC shmup game.
Old 2010-09-30, 14:34   Link #187
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
1cc is "one credit clear." It's an old, old arcade-hound term.

Means you beat the game with the first set of quarters; or without a single Game Over.
Old 2010-09-30, 19:19   Link #188
Bolt237

I meant it would be weird for me to be 3-stock 1-ccing everything because I'm still a super-beginner

In other news, New Super Marisa Land, anyone?
Bolt237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-04, 21:44   Link #189
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
While superscoring some runs on Double Spoiler, I realize Suika's 6-5 could be dodged easily by snapping a photo when the second wave comes out. Maybe I am just slow in noticing the obvious but I dodged it the hard way, which is not that hard.
Old 2010-12-11, 02:32   Link #190
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

So, is anyone excited about the upcoming Touhouvania that will appear in C79? I'm sure I am.

Old 2011-01-16, 11:10   Link #191
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
How did Touhou get popular?

While it may not necesarily be mainstream, Touhou seems failry popular in mostr fanart cirlces. How did it get so popular in the first place? I know it is probably the characters but other than that the games are nothing more than bullet hell shooters with fancy patterns. Still, how did it get so popular thaty I see fanart, fan games and doujins all over the place?

Ahother question, what if Touhou went mainstream?
Old 2011-01-16, 11:32   Link #192
Elvin

Don't think you'll get anything more than speculation here. We came to know it because of its popularity in Japan. You can't really say how it got popular unless you were there with it before it became popular.

Speculation: their universe is almost only composed of cute, badass girls. Difficult (but fun) games tend to gather the hardcore enthusiasts too. The "nothing more than bullet hell shooters with fancy patterns" require immense skill to beat. I doubt anyone who's played it would deny that. It's the same reason why megaman and the original mario brothers are popular too. They're hard as a bitch and give you bragging rights if you clear them.
Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 12:18   Link #193
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

I have a bunch of friends who only got into Touhou because they love the music. That's one of the charming point of Touhou. Secondly, because it remains as "personal project" that the fans can interpret it in many ways they want, it's getting bigger and bigger.

Note, all the above are also speculations, but I based it on many source I knew of.
Old 2011-01-16, 13:22   Link #194
VDZ

Snowball effect.

How does anything get popular? People play/read/watch the work or series, love it, and tell others about it. Those others also play/read/watch it, also like it, and tell others about it.

Touhou is popular because it's popular. People start playing Touhou games, listening to Touhou music and looking at Touhou fanart because they see other people doing the same, and give it a try for themselves. In the case of Touhou this is accelerated even further by the fact that the same goes not only for enjoying the works, but also for CREATING the works. People grow interested in it because others make derivative works of it, then make derivative works themselves, luring even more people in.

This cycle endlessly repeats until no more people are attracted (which generally happens when newer installments in a series become of worse quality, or there are no new installments in a series), at which point there will only be people leaving and none entering, slowly causing interest in the subject to fade.

But with the speed of the Touhou franchise's snowball effect and the amount of content it generates, I doubt interest in it will fade any time soon.
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 12:07   Link #195
punakone

Hello everyone, Im gathering demographical data on Touhou fandom and Id like your input aswell!

Please go fill the questionnaire at http://bit.ly/touhouen or if youre Finnish at http://bit.ly/touhoufi both links lead to Google Docs so no worries about this being some referral sham.

The data is anonymous and will be used for a lecture on Touhou Fandom at an anime convention here in Finland.
punakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 17:54   Link #196
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Touhou is popular among otaku because:

a) its entire cast is comprised of attractive girls in gothic-lolita outfits.
b) it has great music.
Old 2011-01-31, 02:11   Link #197
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by punakone View Post
Hello everyone, Im gathering demographical data on Touhou fandom and Id like your input aswell!

Please go fill the questionnaire at http://bit.ly/touhouen or if youre Finnish at http://bit.ly/touhoufi both links lead to Google Docs so no worries about this being some referral sham.

The data is anonymous and will be used for a lecture on Touhou Fandom at an anime convention here in Finland.
Alright, I'll go fill in a form. Though to be fair, can you post the results/findings here in this thread as well? I for one am interested in just what you will find.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-27, 22:08   Link #198
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

Touhou 13 is announced. From what I can read, it seems a trial will be available in the upcoming Reitaisai (March 13th).
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-27, 22:12   Link #199
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I want to try my hand on these games but what game should I start with?
Old 2011-02-27, 22:25   Link #200
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

Perfect Cherry Blossom is the best one for beginners I think. It's a pretty easy game all in all, and unlike IN (the other easy game) it doesn't leave you with a bad habit regarding deathbombs.
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game, ps vita, touhou