AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-01-13, 16:29   Link #21
corp20
Internet God

Quote:
Originally Posted by exedore
Are they really that scared of things or do they just want to avoid the stupidity and closed-mindedness of American parents?
I don't think that has anything to do with it, I could careless if it was shown on TV. I don't know what their thinking is but there have been worst things put out on DVD then some mild "gender- mutation." It would be stupid to not release something because of how it might be recieved in one country, and I've seen more "closed-mindedness" of Europeans then Americans.
corp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-14, 07:16   Link #22
PurpleDucky

In regards to the "gender mutation" thing, I heard that in one of the European countries where Sailor Stars was released, the Starlights were excused as being replaced by their identical twin sisters from another dimension or something, when they transformed. Yeah, yeah, completely rediculous, but then again, I think it's damned rediculous the NA dub went to such lengths to mention how Uranus and Neptune were cousins. Over and over. A lot.

Don't hold me to this. I heard this YEARS ago, on a dodgy website, when I was still a brain-dead Sailor Moon fangirl. Yes, count another person in for cutting their anime teeth on that show!
PurpleDucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-14, 13:09   Link #23
Fntc

Why not do a fresh capture from the LDs? For a composite D2-mastered show (like Sailor Stars is -- as is most TV anime from the 90's) they'll give better video quality than DVD anyway. It seems silly to go from LD -> SVHS (adds noise, wow, flutter, lowers horizontal resolution) and then from SVHS -> DVD (halves vertical color resolution, adds quantization artifacts) before doing the final conversion to MPEG-4.

Lately I've been getting miffed at the number of people who seem to think LD doesn't exist even though it's the best quality source for pretty much any 20th century TV series (because the master tapes for them are NTSC-encoded, which LD reproduces better than DVD) except for the very few that have been remastered from film prints.

I'm this close to getting a Gundam X LD box set just so I can make some better raws for someone to sub, I'm getting tired of seeing lousy HK DVD rips. My Pioneer Elite CLD-99 will produce video quality that utterly destroys the HK discs. (It has a built-in 3D comb filter)

Seriously folks, if you want to sub an 80's or 90's TV series, especially one that doesn't have a R2 DVD release, get a good quality LD player (a Pioneer CLD-704 is pretty good quality and can be found for fairly cheap on ebay). If the player doesn't have a 3D comb filter (most don't except for the best-of-the-best like the CLD-99, LD-S9, HLD-X9) then run the composite output through a SVHS deck that has a 3D comb filter (all good top-end decks have one) before you capture it, and you are guaranteed AWESOME quality video.

Yah I realize the video quality is gonna go downhill anyway when it's converted to MPEG-4, but at least you won't be having heavy lossy digital generation loss. Can go straight from LD to huffyuv and then encoding with subs in Xvid or whatever. Much better video quality. Plus you can use the LD player's digital audio output to get a real uncompressed PCM audio stream.

ah well ^^; Just suggestions for folks.
Fntc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-15, 18:22   Link #24
Kay Hearts
Cute ahiru ^v^ *quack*

waaa! so many memories from this T_T I remind when I saw Sailor Stars while eating at home, sni, snif, sadly the opening and ending were never translated to spanish and instead the same openning from the other seasons and the ending from the first season were played waaaa!

anyway, enough nostalgia,I´m happy theres a torrent too, I dl´ed one of the four volumes (I´ve got most of the series in vhs (in spanish of course :P) so I´m just waiting for episodes I did not see ^^
Kay Hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-15, 19:05   Link #25
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fntc
Why not do a fresh capture from the LDs? For a composite D2-mastered show (like Sailor Stars is -- as is most TV anime from the 90's) they'll give better video quality than DVD anyway. It seems silly to go from LD -> SVHS (adds noise, wow, flutter, lowers horizontal resolution) and then from SVHS -> DVD (halves vertical color resolution, adds quantization artifacts) before doing the final conversion to MPEG-4.
I love my LDs, and there's no way that I'll give them up.

That said, we're going to be doing a couple of older OVAs this summer, and while we won't have fancy comb filters (I've got consumer grade gear from Panasonic), we *will* be skipping some of the interim encoding and doing things the easy way:

LD player -> DV bridge (aka my Sony video camera) -> XviD

Arguably we could go so far as to grab a supergen off eBay, add it to the process, and just encode that as well...

I also think that one of the reasons people also want to MPEG-2 things before taking the final step is that people are spoiled by CG anime and aren't used to seeing dust, grain, crosstalk, etc. and want to filter it out. TMPEG's noise filter does a great job (at the cost of some sharpness and detail), but you do lose colour in the process.

Go Go D1.
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 03:22   Link #26
Kidd
SD Translator

Send a message via ICQ to Kidd Send a message via AIM to Kidd Send a message via MSN to Kidd Send a message via Yahoo to Kidd
I'm very happy to see this as well, as I'm a big fan of Sailor Moon even though sweden didn't get anything more than the two first seasons licensed and dubbed (at least the only censore sweden did was turn Zoicite into a girl, the rest was completely untouched - and hey, the european dubs are in 9 cases out of 10 at least better than their american counterparts due to experience, so it wasn't THAT bad even though the original is of course so much better, heh heh)... so yeah, I'm missing out on a lot of stuff that happened between the end of what I saw on TV and this, but I'm fine with it, heh heh.

btw, with all the talk of crossdressing in here I have a feeling I really have to go on watch these episodes.. I love everything related to transgenderism ^_^x
Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 03:43   Link #27
forestsprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWho2002
Star Gentle Uterus is the name of Star Healer's attack yes.
Actually, it's the name of Sailorstarmaker's attack. Sailorstarhealer's is Star Sensitive Inferno. :P
forestsprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 13:56   Link #28
Casshern

The truth behind the Sailor Starlights gender is much simpler than most people think:

Spoiler:

This is eventually revealled sometime during sailorstars. The episode may have already been subbed, I don't know how far the fansub is right now since I'm not following it.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 14:39   Link #29
BME
Belldandy Fanboy

Location: Stockholm, Sweden, Where Polar bears roam the streets
This was a very nice surprise, Inoue Kikuko as one of the new enemies, didn't know she was in this show, animenfo hardly lists anything sailor moon, thank god for imdb.
BME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 18:57   Link #30
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
I love Sailor Stars and it doesn't change my mind of Sailor Moon. I seen the episodes a long time ago and am glad that they are available to download as fansubs.
Princess_of_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 00:41   Link #31
Fntc

Quote:
Originally Posted by exedore
I love my LDs, and there's no way that I'll give them up.

That said, we're going to be doing a couple of older OVAs this summer, and while we won't have fancy comb filters (I've got consumer grade gear from Panasonic), we *will* be skipping some of the interim encoding and doing things the easy way:

LD player -> DV bridge (aka my Sony video camera) -> XviD

Arguably we could go so far as to grab a supergen off eBay, add it to the process, and just encode that as well...

Go Go D1.
Just remember to pay attention to which comb filter you have works best. All the stuff I've been talking about is consumer gear rather than industrial or studio, although it is rather high-end consumer gear.

A lousy comb filter (or worse a high-pass/low-pass filter pair) can hurt your video quality badly.

Also consider investing in a good LD player. The Pioneer CLD-704 can be had for fairly cheap and it is the best of Pioneer's US-sold "regular joe consumer" line (i.e. not counting the Elite line for home theater enthusiast consumers). The CLD-919 LD/DVD combo deck is also an excellent player. Both of these came with adaptive 3-line comb filters that are among the best you can get without going 3D.

A good top end consumer SVHS deck will have a 3D comb filter. The JVC HRS9xxx series (I have a HRS9600U, HRS9911U is current model) comes with them. It's a good way to get a good comb filter without buying pro gear. Using the composite output from your LD player and letting the SVHS deck's comb filter do the Y/C seperation will yield better video quality!

Anyway if you have the right gear LDs can look utterly awesome. For instance the contrast between my Japanese Evangelion LDs played on my CLD-99 (along with the CLD-97 the best US-sold player) and the US DVDs is incredible. Only the new Japanese DVD box (which went back to film masters) manages to look better in comparison.

Anyway good luck on your project. ^^ Pay attention to video quality issues and you will get much better captures.

::edit::

And oh yah, D1 kicks ass but the tapes are HUGE and short and EXPENSIVE. Much better to use a lossless codec on a computer and save it to hard disk (and burn off across many DVD-Rs if you want archival).
Fntc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 04:03   Link #32
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fntc
Also consider investing in a good LD player. The Pioneer CLD-704 can be had for fairly cheap and it is the best of Pioneer's US-sold "regular joe consumer" line (i.e. not counting the Elite line for home theater enthusiast consumers). The CLD-919 LD/DVD combo deck is also an excellent player. Both of these came with adaptive 3-line comb filters that are among the best you can get without going 3D.
What I've got now is a Panasonic LX-101 (I think that's the model, it's in storage on another continent at the moment). I picked it up on eBay for about $50, and I really like it. It looks great over S-Video, and more importantly, it's got a built in TBC, which is great and I really do notice a difference compared to other players.

Quote:
A good top end consumer SVHS deck will have a 3D comb filter. The JVC HRS9xxx series (I have a HRS9600U, HRS9911U is current model) comes with them. It's a good way to get a good comb filter without buying pro gear. Using the composite output from your LD player and letting the SVHS deck's comb filter do the Y/C seperation will yield better video quality!
I personally refuse to pay for any JVC gear. Besides having some of my older personal stuff break, I used to work in a production house that shot on D9 (JVC's proprietary digital firmat). The video quality was great, but the machines required an insane amount of regular maintenance (every 20 hours they had to be opened, blasted with compressed air, etc.) or they had to go into the shop. Ironically, our JVC SVHS decks didn't need that.

Anyhow, the VCR I have now is a $250 consumer Panasonic. I like it, it works very well for me. It's not fancy and doesn't have a lot of the advanced features, but I've never had a problem with image quality, etc.

Quote:
Anyway if you have the right gear LDs can look utterly awesome. For instance the contrast between my Japanese Evangelion LDs played on my CLD-99 (along with the CLD-97 the best US-sold player) and the US DVDs is incredible. Only the new Japanese DVD box (which went back to film masters) manages to look better in comparison.
Indeed. I'm really tempted to not bother getting the R1 DVD of Memories when it comes out as I've got the CAV Deluxe box, and it's simply gorgeous. The only thing that sucks is that my LD player can't read the 5.1 track on the LD =(

Quote:
And oh yah, D1 kicks ass but the tapes are HUGE and short and EXPENSIVE. Much better to use a lossless codec on a computer and save it to hard disk (and burn off across many DVD-Rs if you want archival).
Well, there's a few reasons that I want to go to D1. First and foremost, if I have any kind of capture goof, I can recapture the EXACT frames that I need. Second, if you know where to shop (eBay), you can get tapes for pretty cheap. I buy lots of 10 at a time and pay around $30 including shipping. Third, what will be the capture computer when I get home (the non-notebook) is pretty old, and capturing in lossless means a LOT of drop frames, chances for desync, etc. I also had to rip out my TV card to make room for the firewire controller. Finally, I don't have a DVD-R and probably won't until next year unless 1)I get one for a gift or 2)I get a really great job immediately when I return to the US.

While D1 is still lossy, it has a lot of advantages (easy archival, computer control over the playback source, no loss between the tape and the computer) over capturing uncompressed, etc. And, with a good soft codec, you can still run it through virtualdub. Avisynth won't read it, but vdub does the biggies (resize, subtitler) on its own anyways. I look forward to doing our first LD project in July/August.
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-08, 12:41   Link #33
Seiryuu

Sailor drag?

I've been watching Sailor Stars, and I noticed something. The new sailors really are GUYS! Their transformed versions too. At first I thought they were girls pretending to be guys as some sort of subterfuge. Then I thought it might be some sort of Ranma 1/2 thing going on. But no. Their senshi uniforms have pads, which are only noticeable up close. PADS. Why couldn't the first male senshi be suited up as proper guys, instead of forcing them to wear falsies? As if the new suit style wasn't bad enough(all they'd need is a whip or a chain to complete the S&M motif), they had to be male?!! That's sick. Funny in some ways, but still seriously sick.

I wonder how the girls will feel when they find out that they've been swooning over a bunch of drag queens?
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-08, 13:07   Link #34
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu
I've been watching Sailor Stars, and I noticed something. The new sailors really are GUYS! Their transformed versions too. At first I thought they were girls pretending to be guys as some sort of subterfuge. Then I thought it might be some sort of Ranma 1/2 thing going on. But no. Their senshi uniforms have pads, which are only noticeable up close. PADS. Why couldn't the first male senshi be suited up as proper guys, instead of forcing them to wear falsies? As if the new suit style wasn't bad enough(all they'd need is a whip or a chain to complete the S&M motif), they had to be male?!! That's sick. Funny in some ways, but still seriously sick.

I wonder how the girls will feel when they find out that they've been swooning over a bunch of drag queens?

You are totaly wrong. I suggest you watch the episodes again and maybe open your eyes this time In the anime they are guys that transform into Sailor GIRLS.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-08, 15:12   Link #35
Garylisk
Baka Neko!
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Garylisk Send a message via AIM to Garylisk Send a message via MSN to Garylisk Send a message via Yahoo to Garylisk
Yes indeed, they undergo a complete gender change, even body shape change, when transforming.
Garylisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-08, 15:58   Link #36
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
They are really girls, disguised as guys, that have their own band/music group. The reason that they look like "guys" when not in "transformation mode" is so that they can try find their princess and pretending to be guys when normal is the easiest and possibly the only way that they can do it.
Princess_of_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-08, 20:54   Link #37
Garylisk
Baka Neko!
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Garylisk Send a message via AIM to Garylisk Send a message via MSN to Garylisk Send a message via Yahoo to Garylisk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_of_Hell
They are really girls, disguised as guys, that have their own band/music group. The reason that they look like "guys" when not in "transformation mode" is so that they can try find their princess and pretending to be guys when normal is the easiest and possibly the only way that they can do it.
That's how it is in the Manga, not the anime.

Watch all the way through to episode 200 if you haven't already. Trust me, they're shape changers in the anime.
Garylisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-08, 21:04   Link #38
Seiryuu

They definitely arent girls in normal form. Look at them practicing for that "musical". Shirts that small can't hide anything, and there's nothing to hide. One way or another, in normal form they are guys.

Maybe I am wrong. There does seem to be some real cleavage on the transformed fighters. What had me confused was the fact that they each had some massive white apparatus beneath the tops of their costumes. Watch Star Fighter's personal transfomation in ep 176. Why does he have such a large and obvious ... brassiere... beneath his/her uniform? it just makes it look dumber than the black leather already looks. You'd think such a small uniform would come without any embarrassing undergarments showing.
Anyway, whether they're guys who turn into girls or guys with stuffed bras underneath their tops, the new costumes are just a little strange, and they are guys in their natural forms. So, either way, why didn't they just let guys be guys? Couldn't there be a few fighters among the senshi that were male, and wore a masculine seifuku, maybe a variation of typical guys' school uniforms? Why force the guys to become girls? And even then, they don't get the normal sailor suit. All the other senshi have basically a combination between a leotard and a school uniform for their senshi outfits. Why are these guys different? It's like they were made this way just to freak people out.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-08, 23:03   Link #39
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
i never heard anything so weid but there is always a first time
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-08, 23:26   Link #40
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu
They definitely arent girls in normal form. Look at them practicing for that "musical". Shirts that small can't hide anything, and there's nothing to hide. One way or another, in normal form they are guys.

Maybe I am wrong. There does seem to be some real cleavage on the transformed fighters. What had me confused was the fact that they each had some massive white apparatus beneath the tops of their costumes. Watch Star Fighter's personal transfomation in ep 176. Why does he have such a large and obvious ... brassiere... beneath his/her uniform? it just makes it look dumber than the black leather already looks. You'd think such a small uniform would come without any embarrassing undergarments showing.
Anyway, whether they're guys who turn into girls or guys with stuffed bras underneath their tops, the new costumes are just a little strange, and they are guys in their natural forms. So, either way, why didn't they just let guys be guys? Couldn't there be a few fighters among the senshi that were male, and wore a masculine seifuku, maybe a variation of typical guys' school uniforms? Why force the guys to become girls? And even then, they don't get the normal sailor suit. All the other senshi have basically a combination between a leotard and a school uniform for their senshi outfits. Why are these guys different? It's like they were made this way just to freak people out.
If you look at the football player phage from ep 174 (I think?) you'll see why you don't want a guy in a sailor fuku. Same like the phage from the ep where Chibi Chibi befriends a old zaibatsu and makes Usagi think Chibi Chibi's found the world of candy... ^_^

Anyways, what you've mentioned above is one of the reasons Naoko Takeuchi did not like what the anime did to her series, and may well be one of the reasons why Sailor Stars has not been released (i.e. it could be like one of the possible theories given out why Sailor Moon R ep 67 was not on the R DVD boxset - the creator did not like the episode - or in this case - series.)
DrWho2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magical girl, shojo