AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-04-05, 18:24   Link #121
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
http://current.com/1kcmc4c
Letterman's Ipad top 10 list

Will it blend: http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/lAl28d6tbko

It's gonna be like the Iphone, ha ha ha I wouldn't want that thing against my ear to talk..
Hello! Operator?!

The thing's been jailbreaked already.. cause it is the same as the Iphone internally it seems
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-06, 05:27   Link #122
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybear View Post
but then again I am still happy with my EEE1000HD that I got a year ago :P
I had my eye on this, but the GPU and lack of battery specs is putting me off. I'm still going to wait for my ideal lie in bed and veg device....

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/N...oore-ET10TA10/
Old 2010-04-06, 07:36   Link #123
Alchemist007
*Author

Well if you mean lie on your back, good luck, simply holding a book strains the arms after a period of time. To illustrate

I think the cure will be some holographic projection in which case the arms aren't needed quite as much.
Old 2010-04-06, 21:53   Link #124
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
I had my eye on this, but the GPU and lack of battery specs is putting me off. I'm still going to wait for my ideal lie in bed and veg device....

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/N...oore-ET10TA10/
that is nice, but I still rather have the EEE tablet cause 1) I have an actual keyboard, 2) seriously I being able to "touch" the screen is really a novelty item to me.

I fear people missed the whole problem with iPad, yes you can type on the screen, but then that means half your "suppose to be" 10" screen is now a 5" with the keyboard taking up the space. It make lot of sense to have a on sreen keyboard for the iPhone, but it makes little sense that it's on a big "suppose mobile" screen. Sadly the damn thing is too underpower to use the good hand writing typing program in other tablet pc..... and now Apple said a blue tooth keyboard is on it's way to the stores for $80..... REALLY?!? what's next? a web cam made just for iPad for $200? or better yet a touch pc for $2000 that is as powerful as an old high end P3 desktop?!
Then again, they can make a product what's basically someone's shit in a cup with a Apple icon on it and calls iShit and over 10k units will be sold on the first hour of launch seeing how people always buy into Apple's hypes

Quote:
I think the cure will be some holographic projection
I think the cure will be a bish slap to wake them up from the shit that Apple is filling in their head sometimes. Like I said, don't get me wrong, I am not an Apple hater, I like some of their stuff, but most the times I just find their hypes is very questionable.

Last edited by gummybear; 2010-04-06 at 22:20.
gummybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 23:40   Link #125
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Anandtech has a review up... probably a little more detailed than what you'll find most places:
http://anandtech.com/show/3640/apple...andtech-review

I'm getting the impression Apple isn't intending the iPad to be a notebook killer so much as a Kindle-killer - it's to the Kindle what a smartphone is to a traditional cell phone. And in that respect, I have to admit that Apple might be on to something. It'll be interesting to see what content providers and developers come up with.

That said, I am hoping that content providers and developers also back other tablet designs, as I'd like to see more variety in device sizes and features, along with cheaper pricing. And I suspect that will come from device makers other than Apple.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 00:30   Link #126
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
the main reason is the fact that iPad is just an underpower computer that you can use your finger to do some stuff on that, yet it's more expensive than other computer of the same class.
The iPad isn't a personal computer. It doesn't multitask, it doesn't allow for easy content creation, nor does it allow any form of direct manipulation. It isn't intended to compete with the functions of a laptop or traditional tablet. Your comparison with the Wii is more apt - it is a device much like a video game console or a television. An appliance. It is meant to provide specific services (internet browsing, media consumption, casual gaming) with a more direct and accessible interface. The gamble being made here is that it will open up a class of "media devices" which are not computers in the traditional sense and which haven't really been all that popular.

Was the Wii really all hype? As far as I know it has been immensely successful not just within the gamer crowd but with a more mainstream audience, by making playing video games more intuitive and easier to jump into. I assume that is what Apple hopes the iPad can do with the functions that it targets. Will it work? Who knows.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 01:15   Link #127
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
The iPad isn't a personal computer. It doesn't multitask, it doesn't allow for easy content creation, nor does it allow any form of direct manipulation. It isn't intended to compete with the functions of a laptop or traditional tablet. Your comparison with the Wii is more apt - it is a device much like a video game console or a television. An appliance. It is meant to provide specific services (internet browsing, media consumption, casual gaming) with a more direct and accessible interface. The gamble being made here is that it will open up a class of "media devices" which are not computers in the traditional sense and which haven't really been all that popular.
Which explains Apple's design choices: first, making it not look like a computer, second, forcing developers not to rely on a physical keyboard. They want developers to design for this thing from the ground up.

Still, for a geek like me who already knows how to use a computer, conceptualizing a device like this as a computer alternative isn't that interesting. Where it will get interesting is when developers and content producers start thinking of it as "paper with a microprocessor". I'm just hoping that developers and content providers support non-Apple devices once they come out. The way I see it, there's a lot of room for variations in hardware.

As for the Wii... well, it's been a very successful product for Nintendo itself. It's just that Wii owners tend not to buy much in the way of third party games for their consoles. If you're a third party developer, yes, the Wii has been a flop.

Old 2010-04-08, 05:26   Link #128
grey_moon

Quote:
The iPad isn't a personal computer. It doesn't multitask, it doesn't allow for easy content creation, nor does it allow any form of direct manipulation. It isn't intended to compete with the functions of a laptop or traditional tablet.
I've been told that in a future release they will add the ability to multi-task. I did take this with a pinch of salt as the guy was an Apple trainer and we were in the pub

I just realised I've been eyeing up all these tablet devices, but I've got a OpenPandora on order. When that turns up it will do all the things I would want a tablet to do!
Old 2010-04-08, 13:45   Link #129
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
I've been told that in a future release they will add the ability to multi-task. I did take this with a pinch of salt as the guy was an Apple trainer and we were in the pub

I just realised I've been eyeing up all these tablet devices, but I've got a OpenPandora on order. When that turns up it will do all the things I would want a tablet to do!
Multitasking for iPhone OS has been rumoured for a while and just confirmed today, although there are limitations.

The OpenPandora looks like a great retro gaming device, although to be honest I think multitouch tablets have a lot of retro gaming potential as well: I'd love to see a port of the Red Alert 2 and earlier Command and Conquer games that was authentic to the originals except for having a multitouch interface, because I'm a huge fanboy for the old C&C games.

Old 2010-04-08, 15:44   Link #130
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

Quote:
Was the Wii really all hype?
hey, 2008 called, it want you to go to 2010 now

If you ever have time to look up the numbers for Wii even for Japan, it's going down, way down. More people quit Wii than PS3 or X360 for the past 12 months same goes to the sales figures. Apple seems to share the same business department with Nintendo since they some how expect people to keep buying the hardwares even when the change is so tiny; ie. Nintendo actually expect everyone who class under "gamer" to own 2.5 units of DS in their 2009 shareholder report..... and that is what Apple also expect of you, they expect people to buy every iProduct 2 to 3 units each.

and this is the next product for Apple at the rate that their tech direction is going :
Spoiler for .:

Last edited by gummybear; 2010-04-08 at 16:09.
Old 2010-04-08, 15:47   Link #131
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Multitasking on the upcoming OS update is finally a reality, so people don't have to complain about the lack of multitasking on the device along with other features, but the only real problem now is the closed garden deal...

Anyways, HP did announce a slate tablet to complete with the iPad, but its flawed because not only it uses Windows, but the slow Atom CPU, 1GB of memory, weak Intel Graphics and 5 hours battery life is the downfall of the device. Perhaps, if they used Ubuntu or any favor of Linux that is touch oriented, I'm sure it will perform alot better with the Atom processor which isn't really powerful compared to the Intel Core 2 Duo CULVs out there and also I'm not too fond about HP and their build quality since I had a HP laptop that barely lasted for two years at the very least. Also, despite Windows 7 having multitouch, is still not a very good platform because the vast majority of applications on Windows are simply not designed to use multi-touch. This can make out a frustrating experience since majority of the programs like Office 2007 for example are best used with a mouse/keyboard or a graphics tablet.

I think a Notion Ink Adam is another good competitor to the iPad since they have revealed more recently... but I haven't check the specifics, but I think it runs some kind of Linux, which is probably better for a power user or someone who likes open source software and wants more freedom.
Old 2010-04-08, 15:50   Link #132
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Anandtech has a review up... probably a little more detailed than what you'll find most places:
http://anandtech.com/show/3640/apple...andtech-review

I'm getting the impression Apple isn't intending the iPad to be a notebook killer so much as a Kindle-killer - it's to the Kindle what a smartphone is to a traditional cell phone. And in that respect, I have to admit that Apple might be on to something. It'll be interesting to see what content providers and developers come up with.

That said, I am hoping that content providers and developers also back other tablet designs, as I'd like to see more variety in device sizes and features, along with cheaper pricing. And I suspect that will come from device makers other than Apple.
If it is their intent to be a Kindle killer, Apple committed epic fail by not using a Pixel Qi screen.

The only, only, only reason to own an ebook reader is the eInk display. Otherwise why not just read ebooks on your PC?
Old 2010-04-08, 16:02   Link #133
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
If it is their intent to be a Kindle killer, Apple committed epic fail by not using a Pixel Qi screen.

The only, only, only reason to own an ebook reader is the eInk display. Otherwise why not just read ebooks on your PC?
Lying in bed! But then again even my 1000HE nearly broke my nose when I fell asleep
Old 2010-04-08, 16:06   Link #134
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
A laptop or a netbook is still a PC, you know...

I think the fact that the Notion Ink Adam has a Pixel Qi display is going to make it a big winner. In high-contrast mode it can be used in full direct sunlight; just try and do that with an iPad. You won't see shit but reflections.
Old 2010-04-08, 16:10   Link #135
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

Quote:
thank you, finally someone who understands
Old 2010-04-08, 16:11   Link #136
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybear
and this is the next product for Apple:
Do you have anything noteworthy to reply about the iPad as a product or its target market? Arguing over brand loyalties/dislikes gets a tad repetitive. You don't like Apple. We get it.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..

Last edited by Theowne; 2010-04-08 at 16:43.
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 16:27   Link #137
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:

Oh, I'm well aware that you can use a PC as an ebook reader - I have a Inspiron 1501 laptop, a 50 minute-ish bus and train commute to classes, and the majority of my course readings these days are journal articles in PDF format.

My question would be whether the Pixel Qi's sunlight mode can be used for anything other than text. I suspect that would have played a role in Apple's decision. Besides, this is the company that gave us the "tiger paw" mouse, nobody said they got ergonomics right every time.

Old 2010-04-08, 17:32   Link #138
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

Quote:
Do you have anything noteworthy to reply about the iPad as a product or its target market? Arguing over brand loyalties/dislikes gets a tad repetitive. You don't like Apple. We get it.
I didn't say I don't like apple, I said the iPad sucks and it's shouldn't class under a laptop, read what I say before assuming things next time
Old 2010-04-08, 18:06   Link #139
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
I didn't say I don't like apple, I said the iPad sucks and it's shouldn't class under a laptop, read what I say before assuming things next time
If that's your message it's seriously getting drowned out by some of the hyperbole you've been posting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybear
I think the cure will be a bish slap to wake them up from the shit that Apple is filling in their head sometimes. Like I said, don't get me wrong, I am not an Apple hater, I like some of their stuff, but most the times I just find their hypes is very questionable.

Old 2010-04-08, 18:07   Link #140
grey_moon

Quote:
Until you try to upgrade the cpu or gpu