Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-07, 07:49   Link #841
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Why did I just imagine Jenny Dolittle giving that particular speech to the Yacht Club?

Not unless somebody has a railgun--

--wait a minute. Jenny herself IS the Railgun! Level 5 even.

/kaching
Old 2012-02-07, 08:53   Link #842
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Don't forget the third law as well:

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Recoil must be a horrible thing to deal with in space.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 09:03   Link #843
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post

It doubles as the escape plan. Firing makes good propulsion to run away!
Old 2012-02-07, 09:06   Link #844
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post

Also makes me wonder why these type of anime (or light novels as this one is based on) don't use missiles as their main weaponry instead. I mean, if you're going to aim to be realistic, why not use the weapon a lot of people theorize would be the main one? But I guess energy weapons are so much cooler lols.
So, only the Caldari from Eve Online got their shit right by slapping missile weaponry over their ships?

Quote:
And once disabled within short range, you still have to take over the enemy ship. So if this is gonna be a 'real' pirate show, I wanna see some firefights! (One of the reasons why I loved Legend of the Galactic Heroes so much XD)
Rosenritters for the win!
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 09:26   Link #845
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Also makes me wonder why these type of anime (or light novels as this one is based on) don't use missiles as their main weaponry instead. I mean, if you're going to aim to be realistic, why not use the weapon a lot of people theorize would be the main one? But I guess energy weapons are so much cooler lols.
Not to mention, the flight time for a missile from 400,000 km away would be kinda long. Even if the missile could accelerate to 1% the speed of light, it'd take over 2 minutes to get to target. Pirates aren't that patient. Beam lasers or boarding with beam lasers all the way.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 09:30   Link #846
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I believe the Minmatar got it okay. After all, who cares if they ruin someone else's day, now or later? At least they worry less about heat.

It would be nice if there's reasonable Pirates in this series somewhere, using BSG-type guns and tactics.
Old 2012-02-07, 13:33   Link #847
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Also if they are throwing around EW all over the place, they can probably hack the missile's targeting system on its 400,000 km trek to the target. And if it is a dumbfire missile...well you turn and evade it....you got time if you see it coming (like turning to evade torpedoes at sea).

Also one assumes stocking missles would be expensive. Not only cost of materials, but also space on a ship. Now they might still have missiles to crack hulls and the like (since they mentioned shields one assumes warships in this universe have them). but if you are into piracy, you want to take the target ship or what is inside it....not blow it out of the stars. The military might want to blow things away, but based on their hull design...they are up for "Ramming always works", as they have a knife hull style that looks like the ramming blade on Harlock's ship, the Arcadia, in two of te series he's in. Usually in most series, if he rams he just uses the big skull front on his ship, but in the first series he has a different ship design, and a giant blade would come out for ramming attacks (he got this back in the Endless Odyssey OVA series for his newer ship).
Old 2012-02-07, 16:41   Link #848
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post

/kaching
No, there's no railgun other than Misaka. Jenny would have to have another power/nickname.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 16:47   Link #849
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... if not real missiles in outer space (terribly inefficient and all that, as others have pointed out), what about the energy beam form - i.e. something like Star Trek's famous "photon torpedoes"?
Old 2012-02-07, 16:49   Link #850
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Hmm ... if not real missiles in outer space (terribly inefficient and all that, as others have pointed out), what about the energy beam form - i.e. something like Star Trek's famous "photon torpedoes"?
Well, to stick with the Pirate Theme... you need a space equivalent of this thing:

Spoiler:

NOTE: Those "military" vessels resembled that of bowie knives.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 16:57   Link #851
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post

/kaching
No, there's no railgun other than Misaka. Jenny would have to have another power/nickname.
VA connections aside, Captain would work, Commander or Admiral works well too.

The school just HAPPENS to have a huge ex-warship in its own hangar at the relay station (not cheap), with a yacht club that happens to attract talented girls, and Jenny happens to be from a influential space family. (Spaaaaaaace!)

I would not be surprised if the whole school is a farm system for some secret or not so secret government organization. I'll be surprised (and a bit disappointed) if this is the last we see of Jenny Dolittle.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 17:18   Link #852
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Master and President Jenny Dolittle? (as oppose to Master and Commander)
Old 2012-02-07, 17:44   Link #853
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post

The school just HAPPENS to have a huge ex-warship in its own hangar at the relay station (not cheap), with a yacht club that happens to attract talented girls, and Jenny happens to be from a influential space family. (Spaaaaaaace!)

I would not be surprised if the whole school is a farm system for some secret or not so secret government organization. I'll be surprised (and a bit disappointed) if this is the last we see of Jenny Dolittle.
A friend once claimed that this is the Starfleet Academy of future companions crew for budding Smuggler pirate captains. I think he's quite close to the mark.
Old 2012-02-07, 18:55   Link #854
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Well, to stick with the Pirate Theme... you need a space equivalent of this thing:

Spoiler:

NOTE: Those "military" vessels resembled that of bowie knives.
Laser Cannons? The OP showed much of that. And I'm guessing some space torpedoes too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post

So the school's emblem changing to that of a pirate that we see in the middle of every episode is a lampshade? LOLZ.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-02-07 at 22:39. Reason: Please edit your post and refrain from double posting...
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 20:14   Link #855
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Maybe because of this?

And Mass Effect also said that carriers were an innovation of the humans that proved to be VERY effective, when the best upgrade to a 'space fighter' is taking the manned pilot out of it. After all, if you don't have to bring the pilot back, you don't have to spend nearly as much fuel. Estimates around 4x more fuel, since a manned fighter needs to accelerate, attack, decelerate, change direction to pick up point, accelerate to pick up point, decelerate to dock. "Unmanned fighters" can just go accelerate to the enemy and unload their weaponry.

And if you don't have to bring the pilot back, why not just kamikaze these "unmanned fighters" right into the enemy hull *cough*missiles*cough* XD

Not to say Kinetic Weapons such as the one said above don't work (I'd wager spacecraft will have them as their back up weapon much like air fighers still have cannons despite missiles being their main weapon), but let's just say my rating of Mass Effect as a beliveable representation of actual space combat went down because of this debacle with carriers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Also if they are throwing around EW all over the place, they can probably hack the missile's targeting system on its 400,000 km trek to the target. And if it is a dumbfire missile...well you turn and evade it....you got time if you see it coming (like turning to evade torpedoes at sea).
Nah, the problem with missiles is not its susceptibility to getting its targeting system 'hacked'. This would mean that these missiles are guided by external means, when it could just be guided internally. Not to mention you can just dumbfire these missiles and only have its guidance system 'activate' once near its target or after a pre-set amount of time thats set upon dumbfiring.

No the main problem with missiles is if the ship you're targeting has point defense systems (most likely laser due to light speed and refraction isn't a problem), in which they could just shoot the missile. Of course they still have to deal with its fragments still going at the speed when it was shot down, but still better than having the warhead explode inside your hull. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 21:33   Link #856
justpassingby

Final part of the interview with Excite [link]
Satou mostly talked about the CVs
And.. preview for next episode
Spoiler:

He also talked about Marika being not omnipotent.
Spoiler for And:

Last edited by justpassingby; 2012-02-07 at 21:59.
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 22:12   Link #857
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If the warships have shields to deflect high damage energy weapons and high speed debris impacts (as the two pirate ships were hauling tail to intercept the Lightning Eleven) then high speed debris from a destroyed missile will do effectively nothing.

However we have not seen missiles yet in this show. They might show up at some point. All we have seem are energy weapons from the OP to the show itself. If they have something else...well, we will see when they get to it.
Old 2012-02-07, 23:45   Link #858
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Man just really not a strong first arc to this show, and I can basically pin it down to two major problems that are keeping me from getting more into it. One is just the unnecessarily slow pacing. I'm sorry but I just find any way in which to justify the show using 5 episodes to showcase a basic procedural scenario of the girls sitting in front of computers talking about fending off a cyber attack for the purposes of showcasing how Marika is able to make quick decisions and was qualified for leadership. I think it was first established near the beginning of last episode, so I don't understand why we were still further establishing this as late as the most recent episode. It just feels redundant in it's portrayal and thus not really all that engaging.

The other major issue is the voice acting. I don't know if it's the direction or just the material itself giving them nothing to go on, but every characters interaction with each other comes off as very wooden and disengaged. A lot of the girls very methodically and calmy going through jargon and procedures with no real exposition as to their individual personalities and leanings or even really the greater workings of what they are doing. It just lacks impact and there's now really nothing that stands out about the show to me especially as a result. I don't really know anything more about the characters or the world for having watched five episodes of the show so far so I sure as hell hope the next arc makes up for it cause to be honest if I didn't know the show was about to stop treading it's heels and get on with the story I wouldn't have much reason to continue.

edit: Perhaps I should clarify that I have no issue with the material itself, but how it's being presented. The material is perfectly fine for sci-fi material, it again just lacks impact compared to say LOGH, which by this point in the show had already established both it's main characters motivations, introduced their respective personalities and done a little world building. In short give me a reason to give a damn about what's going on and I'll be getting into this show really fast since again it's another show that should be right up my alley, but is just being killed by dreadfully slow pacing and lack of anything to take a vested interest in. It's not a matter of patience, it's a matter of caring about what's happening. Give me a reason to care about Marika becoming a space captain. Give me a reason to care about Marika's relationship with Chiaki, give the show some human weight or drama or...something cause right now it's just not cutting it. Also it really hurts a show when I feel like I've watched the same episode several times in a row now. Really just hoping the rest of the show isn't like this where they draw out what should be a 3 episodes arc into 5 episodes for no discernable reason.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-02-08 at 12:59.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 01:10   Link #859
Ami-chan
Raging Ami-chan Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post

You'd assume they'd have engineers capable of reducing recoil in space. For instance, setting the cannon on a circular rail so that its recoil pulls it to spin in a circular motion in order to keep it from pushing the ship backwards. I'm not a physics major, so I'm sure someone who is can take that and make it badass and not so silly.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/mrjasonpark/Sigs%20and%20Avys/Momo-01-1.jpg
Ami-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 01:19   Link #860
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

First though would be a multiple gun platform ring and some form of power transfer system or generator that used the kinetic energy of the mounts rotation to power something on the ship...perhaps even the next shot. But it would need to be racheted so that one of the other weapons could be brought to bear in the target in a timely fashion. A charging the weapon type glow as it spins around could probably make it look cool. It would of course have limits to how fast it could shoot. Either issues with charging, or issues with targetting. Though with multiple barrels it could fire on more targets, as long as there were within the plane of the weapon's ring.

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri