AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-09-01, 07:44   Link #21
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

The only integrated solution I would recommend is Geforce 9400m since it's a dedicated GPU on the motherboard, but even with that, the graphics won't perform as fast as it would with a dedicated graphics card, especially if you are playing any type of game, a dedicated GPU would do better than a crappy Intel GMA graphics.
Old 2009-09-01, 10:22   Link #22
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

NVIDIA can't even get the laptop IGP's to work reliably right now. Unfortunately that igp is one of the laptop IGPS that is pretty much sending NVIDIA down the path of insolvency. I wouldn't buy NVIDIA chipsets with someone else's money. I can understand shit happens but trying to cover it up is unforgiveable.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 12:56   Link #23
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
NVIDIA can't even get the laptop IGP's to work reliably right now. Unfortunately that igp is one of the laptop IGPS that is pretty much sending NVIDIA down the path of insolvency. I wouldn't buy NVIDIA chipsets with someone else's money. I can understand shit happens but trying to cover it up is unforgiveable.
I know they screwed up with the Geforce 8600m GT (which is a dedicated graphics card, not a IGP) which cause the GPU stop working due to overheating due to a manufacturing flaw, but I have no problems with my Unibody Macbook Pro which uses a nVidia chipset nor with my Geforce 9600m GT video card. Besides from ATi/AMD offerings with IGPs, they are still goingto be better than Intel's IGP which is the slowest and you can hardly play any games on Intel GMA.

OP is better off with a dedicated graphics card than a IGP anyways.
Old 2009-09-02, 14:32   Link #24
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

You know, considering you can get a 3GHZ Phenom II, Gigabyte mainboard, 4GB of DDR2, a good HD4890 card, and a 640GB Caviar Black for the OS/games and 1.5 TB Caviar Green for storage, all for under $750... I really do have to question the sanity of spending $1000-1200. Considering how little of a performance boost you'd get from spending more than that, I'd save the money for either an awesome monitor or future upgrades. Speaking of which, I'd recommend designing a system with a 3 year upgrade cycle in mind, not a 5 year one. Not even super high end stuff holds up well over five years a lot of the time.

The one thing that might be worth waiting for is either Intel's Core i5 (the "mainstream" version of the i7) or ATI's HD5800 series. The latter looks like it should provide a serious performance boost over the 4800 series for similar costs. (Edit: actually, seeing the latest round of rumours, I'm not quite so sure about "similar cost" anymore, although the price does look reasonable for the rumoured spec.)

(Curious about synaesthetic's suggestion of using a small SSD for the OS... how does the performance increase from such a setup manifest itself?)

Last edited by 0utf0xZer0; 2009-09-03 at 13:15.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 21:13   Link #25
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
I know they screwed up with the Geforce 8600m GT (which is a dedicated graphics card, not a IGP) which cause the GPU stop working due to overheating due to a manufacturing flaw, but I have no problems with my Unibody Macbook Pro which uses a nVidia chipset nor with my Geforce 9600m GT video card. Besides from ATi/AMD offerings with IGPs, they are still goingto be better than Intel's IGP which is the slowest and you can hardly play any games on Intel GMA.

OP is better off with a dedicated graphics card than a IGP anyways.
No they screwed up laptop IGP's, desktop IGP's as well as the 8xxx series. Well documented on reputable tech sites arstechnica/toms hardware/anandtech etc etc. Macs, Dells, HP's are affected. It's not just the IGP thats the issue. It is common knowledge that their chipset functionality (ie Northbridge/southbridge : memory controller and storage controller) in recent times eg 680i/7xx series are pretty much crap in comparison to AMD aka ATI or Intel chipsets. Poor stability, poor o/c capabilities, or crippled bandwidth for SLI/Crossfire. IGP's don't matter here - it is bypassed. The poor performance of the other chipset functions is what matters.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 22:12   Link #26
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
No they screwed up laptop IGP's, desktop IGP's as well as the 8xxx series. Well documented on reputable tech sites arstechnica/toms hardware/anandtech etc etc. Macs, Dells, HP's are affected. It's not just the IGP thats the issue. It is common knowledge that their chipset functionality (ie Northbridge/southbridge : memory controller and storage controller) in recent times eg 680i/7xx series are pretty much crap in comparison to AMD aka ATI or Intel chipsets. Poor stability, poor o/c capabilities, or crippled bandwidth for SLI/Crossfire. IGP's don't matter here - it is bypassed. The poor performance of the other chipset functions is what matters.
I looked up online on this issue and it seems that people have alot of problems, but it seems that nVidia got it right with the MCP79 which is used in the current Macs and other notebook computers and have no problems (probably different arch because the north/south bridge is combined into the 9400m GPU on the motherboard) . My Mac uses the MCP79 and I haven't exhibit any problems with memory and hard drive controllers and my stability both on Windows Vista and Mac have been good. This leave me to believe that MCP79 doesn't have the same problems like other nVidia motherboards, but there are better motherboards out there still.