AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-11-24, 03:37   Link #2161
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Using a rifle to pick off zombies from afar is probably good for a little bit, but if there are about a dozen of them when you make that shot, they will surely come rushing in the direction you fired (if they can tell) or they will just start running around like crazy trying to find who fired, so it will be pretty much impossible to shoot the rest from long range.
This is why I mentioned an SMG for close range. Possible scenario: start with 50 yards separating you from a pack (say 20) and no elevation advantage - you can take down 3-7 with a rifle in the time it takes the pack to orient itself and charge you, then you switch to the SMG for some quick rounds in the approaching masses knees/legs, retreat and fire with the rifle once again. Do this 3-5 times and your zombie problem will be solved. Fast and efficient (obviously, this is a basic scenario).

If it’s a horde...find a car and leave. (Or better yet, do not put yourself in a position where you will come across a horde.) A single person could never combat a horde without significant planning (traps, etc), heavy (and burdensome) firepower, and luck (let's face it, "luck" is a real factor, maybe even the major factor, for survival in a Zombie Apocalypse).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 03:43   Link #2162
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
My Pops said a 50 caliber machine would be good against an attacking horde. The fire power is good and strikes through 5-6 people and can cut down a coconut and even against armored vehicles... but its heavy though.... dont know if its true.. but if it is and within a German Bunker, its quite nice....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 03:49   Link #2163
james0246

^An M2 weights about 40 kilos (without ammunition or a tripod), so it is an extraordinarily inefficient weapon unless used as a stationary device on a battlement of some sort or in an armored vehicle. If used as a stationary weapon or with a vehicle, though, it will tear apart any Zombie with extreme ease. (The bullets would never be plentiful, though, so it is still an inefficient weapon).
Old 2010-11-24, 08:51   Link #2164
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^An M2 weights about 40 kilos (without ammunition or a tripod), so it is an extraordinarily inefficient weapon unless used as a stationary device on a battlement of some sort or in an armored vehicle. If used as a stationary weapon or with a vehicle, though, it will tear apart any Zombie with extreme ease. (The bullets would never be plentiful, though, so it is still an inefficient weapon).
based on it, a nade detonates about three seconds... if experience can be key, then cooking a nade is better... UNLESS you want your hand to be gone....
Old 2010-11-24, 10:42   Link #2165
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
The rate of fire acts as a control to the ammunition supply. There is a doctrine of 3-5 burst when using machine guns prevalent in most militaries.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 11:35   Link #2166
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
Asking for advice from the professionals and putting Zombie again in the topic.

When fighting against "running zombies" ( like those in the DAWN OF THE DEAD), what would be better to use? Automatic or single? Heavy firearms or the light ones? Short or long ones?

How about accessories? like grenades? or anything? Please give some tips, Master..
M4, AK-47, or a good SMG would be my choice against zombies that can run. I don't want them getting within 20 yards of me if I can help it.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 13:09   Link #2167
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
M4, AK-47, or a good SMG would be my choice against zombies that can run. I don't want them getting within 20 yards of me if I can help it.
If the zombies were not wobbling around when they run, I would get the M16 for my case, its a little more accurate then the AK-47 but not tougher then it, but the accuracy makes up for the destructive power the AK-47 has. The question remains if the M16 is even strong enough to fully penetrate enough to kill a zombie if you get a good shot.

But then again, the AK-47 is only meant for short range nonetheless, due to its high recoil, so for short range, yeah AK-47 is superior.

Last edited by Hooves; 2010-11-24 at 13:35.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-26, 23:27   Link #2168
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
If the zombies were not wobbling around when they run, I would get the M16 for my case, its a little more accurate then the AK-47 but not tougher then it, but the accuracy makes up for the destructive power the AK-47 has. The question remains if the M16 is even strong enough to fully penetrate enough to kill a zombie if you get a good shot.

But then again, the AK-47 is only meant for short range nonetheless, due to its high recoil, so for short range, yeah AK-47 is superior.
According to a guy named Larry Vickers the AK is good out to 200 yards, the M-16 out to 300.
I would aim for the pelvis and/or legs to get them down fast! Also tripwires would be nice, if you had a perimeter.

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-26, 23:53   Link #2169
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
According to a guy named Larry Vickers the AK is good out to 200 yards, the M-16 out to 300.
I would aim for the pelvis and/or legs to get them down fast! Also tripwires would be nice, if you had a perimeter.
well i think in 1 magazine holding 30 rifle rounds, you can either:
immobilize 2 or 3 zombies (sharpshooter in semi auto)
take down 1 and chip off others (burst)
take down 30 aiming for heads (goddamn crack shot)

assuming that everyone is okay with iron sights (no ACOG related, reflex, red dot, MARS and holo sight)....
HK G3 irons is hard to peep at....
oh LC... did yer hubby use M249 para or the one that has that stock?
and i am getting reports that the m249, m60e4 and the m240b are so OMFG heavy with bipods... we're not a fireteam but do we need a SAW during these times?

well tripwires are best for traps, defensive retreats, or anything that can thin them out...
best example is James' prison stronghold idea... they get in, place impromptu trip IED's behind our GTFOREALFAST route, and watch them fly. or you can mine the entire courtyard (from what i can gather, if there be a riot, prison towers have MG's (russian gulags, not sure) and sniper rifles to quell it.
Old 2010-11-27, 03:40   Link #2170
Crazy Aido
Spastic Fantastic

Oh dear. This is all very lovely.

But what about those of us that live in places like Ireland? *points at self*

Where we don't have the right to bear arms. Or sheep arms, or even monkey arms!

More importantly, we can't carry guns.

We have an army, but the barracks is in the middle of nowhere.

So in all liklihood, we'd have a double barrel shotgun, if we're lucky. Otherwise, it's whatever is nice and heavy and close to hand.
Crazy Aido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-27, 04:01   Link #2171
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
An M16 might only have a range of 300 yards, but most AR-15s will have a range double that with proper scope.
Old 2010-11-27, 05:00   Link #2172
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
An M16 might only have a range of 300 yards, but most AR-15s will have a range double that with proper scope.
And don't forget the eyes behind that glass, justin. ;D

Most early infantry rifles have iron sights that in the right hands can still enable a shooter to reach out to four-five hundred yards accurate. Some tell me shots can be landed quicker in such a configuration than that of a rifle with a scope at the same distance.

I still want to add a M1917 .30-06 to my collection. I'll only need to get another set of dies because I'll be able to use the same powder, primers and projectiles stored for my .308 Win.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-27, 05:04   Link #2173
NoemiChan
Banned

Wink

I was hoping to see anyone mentioning about placing a silencer in their gun/rifle of their choice.

If "a gun is a must", but, the noise that it makes, says a "NO, NO CAUSE IT'LL START A MOB OF ZOMBIES". why won't put a silencer or at least an improvised silencer so any guns can be used... maybe even firing the noice rifle can't even reach the hearing range of a zombie...
Old 2010-11-27, 05:08   Link #2174
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Like I've said earlier, if it was legal where I live, there'd be a suppressor on my Elite in a heart beat.

However since it isn't I'll just have to say I don't have a suppressor...

When I get around to trying to get a new, longer barrel for my Elite I'll see about getting the end threaded and a suitable flash hider fitted.

Damn if I had a suppressed sniper rifle I could die a happy man.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-27, 05:21   Link #2175
NoemiChan
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
Like I've said earlier, if it was legal where I live, there'd be a suppressor on my Elite in a heart beat.

Damn if I had a suppressed sniper rifle I could die a happy man.
Don't worry Dude, I'm sure that in case there is a ZOMBIE OUTBREAK, everything can be legal, if its just an accessory to make you live longer...

We'll kill anyone who says' "The use of suppressor or silencers against zombies is prohibited!!!!!".
Old 2010-11-27, 05:33   Link #2176
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
We'll kill anyone who says' "The use of suppressor or silencers against zombies is prohibited!!!!!".
What shouldn't be prohibited against zombies ?
Old 2010-11-27, 10:58   Link #2177
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
What shouldn't be prohibited against zombies ?
anything that makes a zombie even zombier or a mutant even more OMFG aggressive....

guys... correct me... but it was said silencers dont make you silent... it only makes you invisible by teh finns.... ALSO, i hear that it lessens a bullet's velocity
Old 2010-11-27, 11:35   Link #2178
james0246

^
Quote:
guys... correct me... but it was said silencers dont make you silent... it only makes you invisible by teh finns.... ALSO, i hear that it lessens a bullet's velocity
There are two sounds a discharge makes: the first comes from the rapid expansion of propellant gases as they leave the muzzle, the second is the bullet traveling through the air. A Suppressor can dampen the first sound, but nothing can stop the second sound. So, a Silencer can certainly help, but it isn't that effective, especially if you are dealing with creatures that could potentially hunt based off of sound (ala HotD Zombies).
Old 2010-11-27, 14:40   Link #2179
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
This is why I mentioned an SMG for close range. Possible scenario: start with 50 yards separating you from a pack (say 20) and no elevation advantage - you can take down 3-7 with a rifle in the time it takes the pack to orient itself and charge you, then you switch to the SMG for some quick rounds in the approaching masses knees/legs, retreat and fire with the rifle once again. Do this 3-5 times and your zombie problem will be solved. Fast and efficient (obviously, this is a basic scenario).
I don't know. I'd personally rather go for something intermediate. Like a .223 rifle with a high capacity magazine. That gives you the range of a rifle, but much better shot control than a full rifle round.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-27, 15:19   Link #2180
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
And don't forget the eyes behind that glass, justin. ;D

Most early infantry rifles have iron sights that in the right hands can still enable a shooter to reach out to four-five hundred yards accurate. Some tell me shots can be landed quicker in such a configuration than that of a rifle with a scope at the same distance.

I still want to add a M1917 .30-06 to my collection. I'll only need to get another set of dies because I'll be able to use the same powder, primers and projectiles stored for my .308 Win.
Why do you think I'm relying on you to watch my back at any range?

Iron sights I'm good to about 300 yards before my distance vision fails me. Even though I have close to 20/20 vision, I actually have better near vision than far(my dad's 63 year old eyes are better than mine at reading freeway signs at long range).

Tags
apocalypse, firearms, survive, zombies