AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-20, 10:20   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 689 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Hey guys, it's been a while! Now that my computer's up and running again I can catch the spoilers now (though I'm a little late this time, what with the next chapter being released and all, heh). Anyway, spoiler summary translation credit goes to Aohige:

-Chapter title is "Seemingly non-existent Island". The ministory involves Caribou arriving at a snowy island.

-The first portion of the chapter focuses on Brownbeard, who tries to warn his men about Caesar's true nature. Sadly, his efforts are in vain. Before CC is about to finish off the pirate, Luffy busts into the scene with an Elephant Gun!

-An angry Luffy asks CC what's the deal with the island. The scientist answers that it's like air: It exists, yet at the same time, it doesn't. He also tells Luffy that he doesn't know what kind of mess he's getting into by teaming up with Law. Law wants to capture him because he's the only one who knows how to produce SAD, and Doflamingo's SAD factory produces artificial Zoan devil fruits called "SMILE". Furthermore, One of the Four Emperors already has an army of SMILE users under their wing....!!!!

-CC then warns Luffy that by sabotaging their plans, he'll attract the wrath of just about ALL of the superpowers in the New World. After listening to the story, he just knocks the crap out of the scientist, and says he doesn't care, as he's done nothing BUT piss of world powers this whole time....!!!

Oh Luffy, don't ever change. Anyways, great to finally learn what the deal with that SAD stuff is. Naturally, I'm very interested in learning which of the yonkou has a Zoan army (I'm guessing Kaidou). But even if Luffy does piss off the world powers, he'll still be needing lots of powerful allies on his side, methinks....
Old 2012-11-20, 10:32   Link #2
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

An army of zoan types....no worries for the straw hats they could kick their asses no questions asked.

Luffy loosing it and letting his punch speak for itself is always great, good old fashioned typical Luffy!

Feel sorry for brown beard and everything tricked by Ceasar. Makes me wonder if vega punk is a good guy but just on the marines side or if he is an even more troublesome version of ceasar.
Old 2012-11-20, 10:41   Link #3
marvelB

Boy, the Smile revelation is gonna make things a LOT more interesting, IMO. Just imagine if Smile users even have an Awakened form (which, BTW, I'm also hoping that Momo will have)? It really does just go to show the types of crazy forces who control the New World.....

Also, about the ministory: Apparently, the island Caribou washed up on was the same winter island that we saw Drake at before the skip. So it looks like our muddy friend is in Kaidou's territory now.....

Edit: Holy crap, it looks like Oda actually foreshadowed the Smile's appearance before the skip:

Spoiler:
Old 2012-11-20, 11:03   Link #4
orangejuicetang

Well, it feels like we got a hint as to which Emperor Law and Luffy are planning to overthrow now. Considering the army of manmade zoan fruit users, it really doesn't seem to be either Shanks or Blackbeard's style, so probably either Kaido or Big Mum. I'm actually leaning more towards Big Mum having seen some of her soldiers on fishman island though.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
Old 2012-11-20, 11:14   Link #5
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Ah, I so missed the wrathful Luffy.

The entire time Caeser was talking, and Luffy was quiet, you knew what's going to happen next.
Yet flipping page after page wondering when that SHUT YOUR FACE punch was going to land.

Little does CC realize Luffy's had more than a scuffle with multiple Warlords, as well as declare war on a Yonkou already!

It felt good seeing that hard fist-print on the face of the gutter trash.
Old 2012-11-20, 11:19   Link #6
marvelB

BTW, there was actually one small moment in this chapter that I really enjoyed: When Luffy walks past Brownbeard, he lightly pats his head before confronting Caesar. I just like how he showed some respect for the guy in such a silent, subtle way. Just goes to show how boss Luffy can be when he's serious(ly pissed).
Old 2012-11-20, 11:20   Link #7
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Yeah, it was like "good fight, bro. Now rest. I'll tear up this sh*t".
Old 2012-11-20, 11:37   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Very cool chapter. The final double spread was so damn satisfying. It always feels so good to see Luffy punch the crap out of scum like Caesar.

The reveal that zoan type DFs are being mass-produced by Dolfamingo is very interesting. I'm also guessing the emperor with the zoan army is Kaidou, but I think it could also be Big Mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Edit: Holy crap, it looks like Oda actually foreshadowed the Smile's appearance before the skip:

Spoiler:
That's amazing. I never thought that line would actually turn out to be a major plot point. I assumed it was just Doflamingo being his weird happy self.
Old 2012-11-20, 11:46   Link #9
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Quote:

Spoiler:
Damn I never really once paid much attention to that in the past, thought Don was just being the Don. Kudos for remembering that.
Old 2012-11-20, 11:57   Link #10
james0246

Lots and lots and lots of fun. Children are finally pacified, Shino will now take a slight back seat for a bit (I'm expecting Franky to solve that problem), and the first of the trio of bad guys is gone (bye Monet, your powers were a needless rip off and you looked stupid with your bird feet). We can now settle down to some fun fighting and hopefully some plot advancement (and find out what the hell Usopp and Brook are up to (I thought they were with Brownbeard)!).

Props to Brownie-kun for standing up for his friends and what he believes in. Casear is a douche of the highest caliber, but he is also dangerous, so good going Brownbeard for standing up...even if you are annoying and hopefully will disappear after this arc...
Old 2012-11-20, 12:04   Link #11
noktown

I'm actually leaning towards Kaidou having the Zoan army,Big mom doesn't sound like the type IMO,she doesn't seem to care much for power,she cares lots for sweets...
Old 2012-11-20, 13:01   Link #12
Trax
Rock beats scissors

It's always good to see Luffy's angry punch of ownage. Also nice to finally hear what SAD's purpose is. As for the emperor with the smile zoan army, there's a good chance it's the one Law wants to topple. My guess would be Kaidou as well.
Old 2012-11-20, 13:50   Link #13
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
I'm actually leaning towards Kaidou having the Zoan army,Big mom doesn't sound like the type IMO,she doesn't seem to care much for power,she cares lots for sweets...
I'm guessing its Kaidou but at the same time why tease big mum with peakoms and co. being at fish man island and luffy declaring war against her.
Old 2012-11-20, 15:06   Link #14
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

time for the straw hats and red hair pirates to join up and take on the other emperors!!
Old 2012-11-20, 16:02   Link #15
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

great chapter!!!
now we know full grasp about everything...

I like how Luffy said, "I have deal with that kind of person"

let's kick Caesar out! I've been annoyed by his trolling face a lot in this chapter
Old 2012-11-20, 16:13   Link #16
Rainbowman

Quote:
Oh Luffy, don't ever change. Anyways, great to finally learn what the deal with that SAD stuff is. Naturally, I'm very interested in learning which of the yonkou has a Zoan army (I'm guessing Kaidou). But even if Luffy does piss off the world powers, he'll still be needing lots of powerful allies on his side, methinks....
I would think that Blackbeard may have gotten his hands on this army during his "Devil Fruit hunt".
Old 2012-11-20, 16:31   Link #17
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
omggg what a interesting chapter. marvelB how in the world did you even remember that line? crazyness.
Old 2012-11-20, 16:53   Link #18
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:

Spoiler:
Yup, looks like I'm not the only one that remembered that scene. This chapter finally clarified what Doflamingo was talking about with the age of smiles. As for which emperor he's doing business with, my money is on Kaido. Out of all the emperors, I've always envisioned Kaido to have the zoan theme going on; and with this latest chapter's revelation, that extends to his subordinates as well, it seems. Awesome stuff.
Old 2012-11-20, 17:47   Link #19
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

"If you attack me, you risk the wrath of some of the strongest people in the world! You don't want that don't you?"

"Don't be daft....

Of course I do."
Old 2012-11-20, 18:18   Link #20
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

It's just like Oda to pull out a Chekov's Gun on us like this. Honestly when Doflamingo mentioned "smiles" back then I thought he was referring to the style of Jolly roger he uses. Never would've guessed it meant something like this.

I suppose this means there's going to be an incoming fuck-ton of devil fruit users appearing in the story soon enough. I'm still wondering if their properties differ from natural ones though.