AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-12-07, 05:37   Link #701
desrtsku
Nympholept

^ Considering they'll eventually manage to make that piece of junk move in a way or another (the first ep was clear enough about that), I don't think it was that wrong of a move for her to refuse Jaxa's help ...
Old 2012-12-07, 08:28   Link #702
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket View Post
Hmmm I don't recall the details of that scene, but from the description I'm still skeptical. Couldn't it relate to their medical condition? There might even be corporate coverups and scandal involved (thinking along the scale of the Fukushima Reactor here), without it involving Illuminati like conspiracies and the fate of the Earth in the balance.
This is the third in a series that has Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate. Unless you have zero exposure to the previous two series, I'm not sure why you wouldn't think Illuminati-like conspiracies are behind everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
^ Considering they'll eventually manage to make that piece of junk move in a way or another (the first ep was clear enough about that), I don't think it was that wrong of a move for her to refuse Jaxa's help ...
Why do I get the feeling that the results of the test will cause Aika to re-think her decision to turn down Nae's help?
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 08:36   Link #703
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
The Robot needs more oil....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 09:25   Link #704
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Why do I get the feeling that the results of the test will cause Aika to re-think her decision to turn down Nae's help?
How should I know? ... my mind is "clean" here ...
Old 2012-12-07, 10:22   Link #705
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
This is the third in a series that has Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate. Unless you have zero exposure to the previous two series, I'm not sure why you wouldn't think Illuminati-like conspiracies are behind everything.
To troll the audience. If you have seen the previous two works the last thing you would expect is that conspiracy theories are just myths.
Naturally I don't consider that very likely, and it would be very bad, but there are a few things that prevent me from completely dismissing this idea.

So far this anime seems to take pleasure in building up anti-climaxes. Think of how a previous episode ended with Aki saying "We're going to ask help from JAXA!" Wow, exciting, isn't it? But then you realize she was just going to talk ot her dad. Then you get MIB kidnapping the whole club and you thought: "Wow this is getting serious!" Nope that's still Aki's father using Nae to help her daughter. That whole kidnapping charade was completely pointless.

There are then the Kimijima reports that barely make any sense. Is there a point in that scavenger hunt? If Kimijima wanted the truth to be known, he should have sent his files to newspapers all around the world. If there was a specific person that he wanted to send his files to, why the scavenger hunt? Airi gave to kaito the password for the first level, which means she recognized him somehow, why not giving him the reports directly at that point?

This whole thing looks like a giant prank.

Granted the anemone incident still must have happened, and Kaito and Akiho do have a condition, but the Kimijima reports could be just noise or a red herring.

Quote:
I also have that feeling. They certainly didn't bring Nae in the story for nothing, and the prologue seems to suggest that the robotic club will get more specialized help and better fundings.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 12:20   Link #706
LROlsson

While I missed it at my first watch in episode 9 I must say that i laughed when I saw Takumi's post on Twipo.

"I must see Mahou Shoujo Erin Strike Home-run. Erin is the eternal loli. 2D is the best"

Even thou ten years have past it seems that Takumi is still same old.
LROlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 13:02   Link #707
Midonin
Last Engage

R;N 09 - Do You Hear It? Will You Hear It? That Distant Rumbling

Not every invention is going to be at its best in the beta stage. Even the Future Gadget Lab took a few tries before they got something that worked, and even that was mostly by accident. We know the opening scene foreshadowed a robot that will work, and the second half of the show will surely lead up to that. Now that Frau knows about Airi, I wonder how long it'll be before the rest of the club does. For now, I'm still running with the idea that all the conspiracy stuff is real, or at least has a grain of truth to it.

So Gunvarrel is clearly their version of Gundam, but there's another, more similarly named version of Gundam in their universe too, according to that one flashback. Must've been part of a wave of robot anime from around that time period, an attempt to cash in on the trend. This is the universe that produced Blood Tune, so I'm sure they have lots of slightly different versions of famous genre pieces.

My favorite part of this show has been the atmosphere so far. (Well, second favorite part. The girls remain the first.) The combination of a rural setting and high technology makes for an aesthetically pleasing mix.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 14:00   Link #708
ookamigirl

Yoiraiki festival.
Looks like Kona & Kai had other plans.
That girl should go out once in a while.
At least they put together their giant robot.
Kai piloting it was kinda LOL
Looks like Aki's dream will have to wait a bit longer.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 14:52   Link #709
Byakou

Gunpro isn't about to win any epic robot battles lol

Maybe now Aki will realize they need to start a new robot from scratch. And takes the money from daddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
A borrowed conspiracy theory worked quite fine with Steins;Gate though...
Steins gate had a conspiracy, but not a conspiracy theory taken from the real world.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 15:11   Link #710
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
Steins gate had a conspiracy, but not a conspiracy theory taken from the real world.
You seem to think john titor is an anime invetion then.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 15:18   Link #711
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
Almost every contextual plot in Steins;Gate is taken from John Titor's predictions and the books that were written on him. Indluding things like CERN being responsible for the creation of time machines and the IBM 5100 being vital for interpreting certain programs in the future.

All that was mixed with the committe of 300 being behind the CERN (or rather SERN), which is also the subject of existing conspiracy theories

Old 2012-12-07, 16:20   Link #712
Algent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LROlsson View Post
While I missed it at my first watch in episode 9 I must say that i laughed when I saw Takumi's post on Twipo.

"I must see Mahou Shoujo Erin Strike Home-run. Erin is the eternal loli. 2D is the best"

Even thou ten years have past it seems that Takumi is still same old.
When is it in the episode ?
Algent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 17:00   Link #713
LROlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algent View Post
When is it in the episode ?
Around 8:30 in when Kaito is reading the massage from Akito, it is under hers.
LROlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 22:16   Link #714
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Spoiler for :

Kona needs to calm down on BL going off with just one pic
Old 2012-12-08, 18:00   Link #715
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

So when Frau said she had her friends in Tokyo looking into the cheaters as well I looked at the handles they seemed familiar (I think the first person *might* be Daru but if the second person isn't Ferris I'll eat one of my hats)

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 21:14   Link #716
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
So when Frau said she had her friends in Tokyo looking into the cheaters as well I looked at the handles they seemed familiar (I think the first person *might* be Daru but if the second person isn't Ferris I'll eat one of my hats)

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
If you do eat one of your hats, will you youtube it?

Also, nice catch.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-12-08, 22:41   Link #717
Dr. Casey

Kaito's a cool guy, but his line to Akiho about the way that her older sister must've been "trying to motivate her through tough love" annoyed me. No, you 'tard, being unnecessarily cold to someone doesn't count as 'tough love,' it's just being a bitch (and it's not though our genki, hotblooded little Aki needs anyone motivating her). Japan seems to have too much of a hard-on for that 'tough love' nonsense, or at least that's the impression I get judging by anime. "It's okay to be cold and unsupportive, even when it's totally unnecessary, so long as it ultimately results in something positive. Showing warmth and nurturing is lame anyway."

Bitching on my soapbox aside, good episode. I'm liking this show. But man, kids of 2019 sure are brats... if I was able to see a 100 foot tall robot when I was six or seven, I wouldn't have been too picky about how well it operated.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 23:06   Link #718
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I had the impression that Kaito told to Akiho that thing about "tough love" only as a way to comfort her and not let her lose her faith in her sister.

Given the situation I don't think you can really believe that Misa is simply "busy with work". It doesn't take much to write an sms, and she even closed a call from Aki once. I think that both Kaito and Akiho know that Misa for who knows what reason is avoiding them, they should be really stupid if they didn't, but I guess they don't want to accept that, and pretending that everything is all right and that she will return to them one day is something that they started to do to help each other in keeping alive that delusion. They were kids back then, so it's normal. Now they are older but it has become a habit, a taboo they can't break.

I think that both of them have been changed a lot by whatever happened with Misa, which was for both a very important person in their lives. There's Kaito who acts like he doesn't care about anything and as if everything is a bother, but you see now and then that he pretends to care less than what he actually does. It's not just like he doesn't care, he wants to not care. So I think this is Kaito's reaction to Misa's change. If he doesn't care about anything, then he can't be hurt anymore.

On the other side Akiho reacted in the opposite way, she decided to take her sister's dream and make it her own. This has become obvious when she refused Nae's help. If what she really wanted was to create a giant robot, then she wouldn't have turned that offer. What she really wants is to prove that her sister's dream can become true and that's why she couldn't accept to change her project (albeit in the end she did, I guess Nae's proposed changes were a lot more radical). The fact that she sent a message to her sister as soon as she completed the robot, is another proof that she basically deluded herself into thinking that if she managed to make her sister's dream true, she would return to be the old Misa that she loved.

Old 2012-12-08, 23:06   Link #719
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Kaito's a cool guy, but his line to Akiho about the way that her older sister must've been "trying to motivate her through tough love" annoyed me. No, you 'tard, being unnecessarily cold to someone doesn't count as 'tough love,' it's just being a bitch (and it's not though our genki, hotblooded little Aki needs anyone motivating her). Japan seems to have too much of a hard-on for that 'tough love' nonsense, or at least that's the impression I get judging by anime. "It's okay to be cold and unsupportive, even when it's totally unnecessary, so long as it ultimately results in something positive. Showing warmth and nurturing is lame anyway."
I don't think her sister was showing "tough love" either but I can kind of see why Kai thought that. You have someone whose a really nice girl, passionate, and would be thrilled that her younger sister is following in her footsteps, it's really hard to imagine her having a complete personality shift unless you've seen it in action (like the viewers have). Every shot we've seen of her (through Kai's memories) have been before she left and it seems like even Aki hasn't been in much contact with her since, I think Kai genuinely doesn't know she changed.

And no I won't youtube it because I'll be too busy choking on all the fabric. xD
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 01:58   Link #720
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
I don't think her sister was showing "tough love" either but I can kind of see why Kai thought that. You have someone whose a really nice girl, passionate, and would be thrilled that her younger sister is following in her footsteps, it's really hard to imagine her having a complete personality shift unless you've seen it in action (like the viewers have). Every shot we've seen of her (through Kai's memories) have been before she left and it seems like even Aki hasn't been in much contact with her since, I think Kai genuinely doesn't know she changed.

And no I won't youtube it because I'll be too busy choking on all the fabric. xD
From my perspective, Kai is simply protecting Aki, by telling a white lie: "your sister is showing you tough love". My first instinct is he doesn't believe it himself, after Misa told him how pointless it was to become the robotics club president and build the giant robot.

Now, that all would be the easy answer, but I refuse to believe Misa, as a character, is that cut and dry. This is a show in a series where most people are more than they seem, after-all.

We really don't know why she said what she said to Kai, or why she's been avoiding Aki. In fact, for all we know, Aki is the only one she's avoiding at all (we've seen Misa talking with the store-owner/presumably child-hood friend). In fact, the only person the show has gone explicitly out of its way to show Misa is avoiding is Aki.

Having watched hundreds of anime, Misa is exhibiting all the classic signs of a character who's attempting to use reverse psychology (to possibly protect Aki?), with her 180 degree personality switch.

If we think of the Kimijima Reports more as a test of some sorts, and if Misa somehow managed to stumble upon them, and follow them to their conclusion, is it possible she's passive aggressively trying to steer her sister away from giant robots for what is ultimately a caring reason? Admittedly, I am still stumbling in the dark as to what giant robots have to do with killing off most of humanity and/or blowing up the sun.

Remember, back in episode 2, Kai has that very short flashback where Misa tells him to take care of Aki. It puts Misa's cold behavior to Aki as she's leaving for Tokyo in possibly a different light.

Back in episode 3, Misa says "You're still in their grip...I can't call that a good thing." Back then, my initial reaction was one of confusion, as she seemed to be staring at Kai while uttering those words, but now I think her statement was aimed at her boss, who had just left to go "check on the Committee". As she was all alone as she uttered those words, it just adds fuel to the fire that she might be playing a long game of her own, and isn't really in support of the Committee of 300, but perhaps looking to subvert it from within. [Did anyone find the wording strange, when boss-man says he had to go check on the Committee? Possibly a bad translation, but at face value, it really comes off as a thing - an ai?, rather than a bunch of people in back rooms smoking cigars. If, in fact, he was really saying he had to go check in with the Committee, it would make a lot more sense if it was the latter.]

Of course, it's also possible she really was referencing Kai, but the end result would be the same. A strong suggestion that Misa does not approve of the Committee, despite seemingly being a part of it.

On another note, as I was re-watching the earlier episodes, I noticed that Kai expresses surprise over the name Tagringer at rank 4 in episode 4. In episode 7, he's borderline flustered over defending Tagringer against cheating. My suspicion is that Tagringer is Misa's Kill Ballad handle, and that for whatever reason, she's recently become active on the leaderboards. It would explain why he was surprised to see the name, and then shortly after, adamant about the person not being a cheater. It's also interesting that they choose to show the flashback where Misa seems to easily beat Kai, when they were younger, at Kill Ballad at the start of the same episode Kai notices the Tagringer name. Or, at least what I presume is Kill Ballad. As I'm writing this edit, I'm wondering how old Frau is. If she's around Kai's age, she was awfully young to be designing Kill Ballad if Kai and Misa were playing it in that flashback, but at the same time, Frau doesn't seem to go to school, so perhaps she's an older adult.

Anyways, I used to think that Kill Ballad was the way Misa was covertly keeping in touch with Kai, and possibly keeping tabs on Aki, but that was before seeing Kai surprised to see "Tagringer" in episode 4. Now I think it's possible she's largely avoided talking to Kai as well.

If it is Misa, the bigger question is why she's become active on Kill Ballad again. Presumably she was inactive, or Kai wouldn't have been surprised to see the name.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2012-12-09 at 02:25.

Tags
science fiction