AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2017-08-14, 10:48   Link #1
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Lookism (Webtoon/Naver)

Quote:
Park Hyung Suk, overweight and unattractive, is bullied and abused on a daily basis. But a miracle is about to happen.
Comedy and Quality is written big in this manhwa.
OP comment:
Some people might know this webtoon as there are scans group whom has scanlated this webtoon but now Lookism has officially uploaded in english naver on daily releases at tuesday and sunday.
I especially recommending this to former Girls of the wild readers this webtoon is great replacement for your empty day in sunday, both Lookism and Girls of wild high sort same as there are students fighting in the webtoon too and romance but no generic harem here.
Lastly, i might sounded biased here but Lookism is far far superior than Girls of Wild High in any aspect, just give try and you people will see why.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-14, 11:08   Link #2
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Daniel Park
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-24, 00:17   Link #3
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Boy, that totally escalated from high school drama to .......suspense-horror??
Old 2017-12-24, 01:29   Link #4
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^The stalker one is scarier

But too many fillers
Old 2017-12-24, 01:41   Link #5
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
^The stalker one is scarier

But too many fillers
Stalker arc was just creepy.
This one really horror with the possessed mother and strange cults.
Old 2019-02-26, 18:01   Link #6
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

So I recently picked this up and that 200+ chapter hurdle is a little intimidating. I'm currently 30 chapters in and want to know if things pick up or not. It's by no means a bad manhua, but the pacing is kinda on the slow side and while my attention span isn't exactly short, slow developments tend to put a damper on my ability to enjoy a story.

I also kinda put emphasis on shipping in these types of stories and if the shipping isn't good, it also affects my ability to enjoy said story. From what I see, there are 3 notable girls atm that may or may not be developed as love interests. They are the bitch classmate (I don't personally think of her as that just yet, but it's the easiest to understand description I can give), the kind girl who interacts with MC during his part-time job and the streamer girl. If there are any girls introduced later, please let me know and vague, easy to understand descriptions would be ideal since I suck at remembering Korean names.

Which girl would y'all say is currently in a favourable position in the recent chapters?
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-26, 21:36   Link #7
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Basically no progress in romance
MC is more donkan than japanese MC
Old 2019-02-26, 22:35   Link #8
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

^Fml. This makes things a little more complicated then. It'd be a lot easier to tough it out if I at least knew there was some good shipping to look forward to. Oh well, I'll continue reading for now and if my interest wanes, I'd just move onto something else.

Sigh aren't manhua MCs usually a little more aware/perceptive than manga MCs? Since when is a manhua MC more dense?
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
Old 2019-02-26, 22:39   Link #9
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Yea, but this is for kids

Most similar to Beelzebub Manga without supernatural stuffs I think

There's the original body progress to become strong, but so slow, so many fillers of his friends
Old 2019-02-26, 22:59   Link #10
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

I've noticed that too. Author takes so long to actually progress the plot and instead focuses on his friends' problems with MC taking away some kind of life lesson at the end. I've no problem with that and it does contribute to his character development, but when you place too much focus on that type of development, things start to feel slow and it starts to feel like a bit of a chore to read.

Sometimes the MC doesn't even feel like he's the MC. He ends up playing support for his friends...
Old 2019-02-26, 23:58   Link #11
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Yup, and even with all friends fillers
Those friends barely got any progress too
Zach and Mira? Their relationship is still the same even now, with Zach crushing and Mira just nikoniko
More characters appear but despite many things happened, they basically stay the same
Only Jiho "progresses". Oh God Jiho!
Maybe it's actually worth reading just for Jiho hahahaha
Jiho should be the MC
Old 2019-02-27, 02:07   Link #12
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

I'm now 45 chapters in and within those 15 chapters I've read since chapter 30, it covered the stalker, swindler, midterm and boot camp arcs. Not bad pacing tbh and it more or less succeeded in keeping my interest. My main complaint is that outside of the stalker arc, the MC hasn't really felt like an MC at all. Jin Sung (Zach) more felt like he was the MC tbh.

Also, Ha Neul (Zoe) is best girl. I don't even care if another girl becomes relevant later on, she won me over man. haha At least she isn't shallow anymore as that was my biggest peeve with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
^Yup, and even with all friends fillers
Those friends barely got any progress too
Zach and Mira? Their relationship is still the same even now, with Zach crushing and Mira just nikoniko
More characters appear but despite many things happened, they basically stay the same
Only Jiho "progresses". Oh God Jiho!
Maybe it's actually worth reading just for Jiho hahahaha
Jiho should be the MC
So you're telling me that after 200+ chapters, Jin Sung and Mi Jin have made practically zero progress? Oh boy, that's going to be a problem if romantic developments take forever to develop. If that's the case, how long am I going to have to wait to see the MC's relationship develop with whichever girl he's going to be shipped with? (which I really hope is Ha Neul btw)

Considering how unique your tastes tend to be, I'm guessing something unexpected happens with Jiho? I'm almost tempted to just google it to see what's up, but then again, why ruin the surprise? haha

Anyway, I'll stop at 45 for now and resume reading later today. Need to catch some Z's after all.
Old 2019-02-27, 02:25   Link #13
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^I think Zoe is best girl too
Especially after the Logan's Arc
But main heroine is that double body girl
Worst girl imho
Unlike Daniel's fat body which is lovable, this one fatty is just unlikeable
Condescending, privileged, and rude
Which is weird coz nothing like that present in the slim body one

Btw Lookism is now being restricted by Fast Pass too so kinda annoying
Old 2019-02-27, 02:42   Link #14
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

@MK-95-
Don't buy everything Erotora said he only perceives value of manga/manhwa if it's working with his fetish. If not to his standard he will downgrade the quality no matter how good is it.

The MC is not so donkan as erotora claimed. There is a girl who he care now after certain event which i assume you don't wish i spoiler you her name and what happened.

Jiho aside many characters changed from early introduction. Zack for example he was an asshole then redempted into better man. Vasco is not someone who you should perceive from shell also the best character. MC also will develop himself there is time and struggle he has to overcome while him in his real body.

One things i likes from Lookism is how author put moral message from each episode : There is a story where the MC use his advantage for exam yet author made a lesson where he made MC realised his guilt for being not fair then strive to not do the same mistake.

Also i wouldn't say this webtoon is 100% for kids. Lookism riches of dark tropes : Bully, Rape, body organ sell, Cult, prison fight and more.
Old 2019-02-27, 03:58   Link #15
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Nuh uh

Pay attention to how Oberstein only mentioned the good points

Clearly I'm the one with more objective opinion here

You know who to believe, MK-95-
Old 2019-02-27, 12:22   Link #16
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Haha, I'd take both your opinions into consideration going forward.

I do know that Hentaiga's opinions tend to be skewed from my own experiences, but there's usually some truth to them in their own way. So long as it isn't about a harem isekai (because his ideas and perceptions about MCs in those kinda stories can get pretty wild), I can at least take what he's saying with a grain of salt.

Oberstein, your post does sound a little more objective and having a second opinion to work with is always welcome since I can compare both to find common ground or any contrasts between both.

I'm going to resume reading shortly and my goal for today is 20-25 chapters. Granted I don't start feeling like it's a chore to read because if that happens, then I'll cap it at around 10-15.

Lastly. Hentaiga, I'm surprised that you like Zoe too which automatically gives away that she isn't the main heroine (since it's no secret that you despise main heroines). That girl you mentioned who also has two bodies is the main heroine in this story? That's interesting considering that I'm 45 chapters in and still can't identify who the main heroine is. I'm assuming that I've seen one of her bodies already, but don't know which girl it is.
Old 2019-02-27, 13:02   Link #17
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Wups, sorry for the spoiler, bro

She was there since pretty much the beginning, but the double body only revealed later yea

Zoe is the female character with the most development
Thus I'm sad when that Daniel got trapped with instant infatuation with the main heroine (for stupid reason)
Hope he will choose Zoe in the end
Old 2019-02-27, 13:23   Link #18
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Don't sweat it, I don't get mad for spoilers. Besides, you only spoiled that she has two bodies, you didn't say which girl it was.

Yea I noticed that of all the female characters so far, Zoe's the only one that's actually growing. Kim has been relegated to comic relief and while Mi Jin is a pretty solid character in her own right, she hasn't grown at all since her introduction. Granted, she's a side-character's love interest, so she doesn't really need to receive much development in the first place.

I'm hopping on the Zoe train too and here's to hoping that she gets the W in the end!! It'd suck that she'd grow this much in so little time and still lose to a girl that despite having already appeared, hasn't actually won over the MC yet.

My guy, Zoe is interested in you, don't jump ship to someone else. The best girl is already in front of you, you don't need to search any further. T-T

While she was really shallow in the beginning, she's proved that she's a genuinely good girl by falling for his original body after he saved her. I respect that she can overlook his appearance, see his sincerely good heart and genuine personality.
Old 2019-02-28, 14:57   Link #19
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Alright, so I'm at chapter 80 now. From 45 to present, that covers the MC returning home for holiday and getting mugged by his old bullies, Vasco's past, main heroine reveal, the attention whore (facebook incident), fitting model and host club arcs.

Firstly, I just want to say that Jae Yeol (Jay) is so gay for the MC and idek why. There isn't really any reason given for why he goes out of his way like that for the MC. He just does. He gave him about 10 mil Won worth of clothes for his birthday iirc, he's always fighting battles for him from the shadows, he adopted the four puppies so that MC would have a reason to visit his house, he threw away his ticket to Busan after deciding to accompany the MC back to his hometown and he even tried to buy the MC for the slave auction. He should be best girl, he's clearly the superior choice when compared to any of the female characters. lmao

Secondly, there's no doubt that Soo Jung (Crystal) is the main heroine of this story. Sigh I'm a little disappointed at how easily the MC became infatuated with her. She literally says something along the lines of "I don't want to depend on anyone and I'll overcome my problems myself" and MC goes doki doki because of her display of willpower... Really? That's it? It's kinda funny that they both like each other's original selves, but despise each other's second bodies. That bothers me because it's the sign of a winning flag imo. The feelings are already more or less mutual, but due to the added element of them both having second bodies, it creates a misunderstanding that prevents them from hooking up right away. That's an almost guaranteed winning flag for her which has me feeling perplexed because I personally think that the reasons given for both becoming infatuated with each other are quite frankly, too simple and uneventful. There isn't really any incentive for why the reader should be invested in this pairing.

The only saving grace is that I'm only 80/200+ chapters in, so considering that this series isn't even at the halfway point and is still ongoing, Zoe just might still have a chance despite Crystal's overwhelmingly undeniable early advantage. Additionally, I would like to say that I don't like Crystal. She's essentially a female version of the MC and that's quite boring imo. The only unique contrast she presents is that she prefers to live as her original self while using the 2nd body for work. I also don't like how she looks down on "pretty/handsome" people because of her own bad experiences and prejudices. While the MC could've gone a similar route, he chooses to live on both sides and see things from both POVs. Despite the fact that he has unintentionally looked down on the less attractive people before, he has reflected on and tries to fix that. All in all, he's a lot more genuine and sincere than Crystal. As a matter of fact, while she isn't as bad as the scummy characters who look down on the less attractive ones, she's still kinda scummy in her own way because she's essentially returning prejudice with prejudice. In this regard, Zoe is superior to her as she has completely overcome her prejudice due to falling for the MC. While she may not treat other unattractive people the same way she treats him, it's still a step in the right direction and she can only keep growing from there.

This series is really good when it comes to fleshing out characters, but some of the side characters tend to be absent for noticeably long periods of time (it's been awhile since I've seen Jiho, Duk Hua, Yui and Zoe). While I'm on the topic of characters, even after 80 chapters, the MC still doesn't feel like he's the MC half the time. Sometimes I forget that he's the MC tbh... I'm sitting here asking myself if Zach is secretly the MC instead... Anyway, Vasco is probably one of best and most sympathetic characters in this story. You really feel for the guy. It was so fucking satisfying to see his bully get his ass kicked like that. It's a shame Vasco couldn't do it himself. Then again, those bullies are now small fry since Bum Jae (Jace) can dispatch them with practically no effort. Jace is a real bro btw and while he may have done Vasco dirty back then, he's more than redeemed himself for it. Nothing but respect for that duo.

My favourite characters right now are Vasco, Zach, Zoe, MC and MC's mom in that order. No seriously, his mom is da real MVP of this manhua. That woman works so fucking hard man. That shit speaks to me on an emotional and philosophical level. I just wanna see that woman sit down, kick her feet up, relax and sip some tea at the end of this manhua because she's more than earned it.

Lastly, I'd like to say that the scum in this story really are SCUM. There's this rule I follow in manhua which is "once an asshole, always an asshole" and it always applies to antagonists. Very rarely does an antagonist ever defy this convention. Y'know how in manga, after the antagonist of an arc gets defeated, they reform and become an ally or at the very least become neutral to the MC? In most manhua I've read, villains remain scum even after they get defeated. Coincidentally, Zach is one of the rare few to defy this rule as he's almost completely reformed.

I intend to go past 100 chapters today and I think I should more than be able to do it as I'm basically hooked on Lookism now.

Last edited by MK-95-; 2019-02-28 at 17:07. Reason: Grammar
Old 2019-02-28, 20:13   Link #20
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Now you know
I told you Crystal is a dick

Btw, what I hated most is the top comments
They are always :
1. Where's Jay?
2. Jay, save your boy!

I even thought of dropping this only for the sake of it's being infested by fujoshi

Tags
comedy, fighting, romance, school life