AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-04-01, 17:39   Link #21
BluWacky
尻の竜

What a nice surprise this show turned out to be! It's not really something I'll be tuning in for every week (it's a bit formulaic) but the first episode is actually really nicely done, not something I usually say for Toei shows!

I don't have any prior experience with Kitaro despite the huge number of remakes, but it's an imaginative premise helped by a well-designed "world" with a large number of interestingly varied characters. The first ep deals with a monster loose in the water system hunting the children who set it free from its seal, and Kitaro and co go chasing after it; nothing earth-shattering, but somehow it didn't feel as mind-numbing as shows pitched like this often can.

(it's also REALLY easy to follow if your Japanese is crap like mine!)

If you're already looking forward to it like a lot of people in this thread seem to be then I hope you won't be disappointed. Whilst I'm a pretentious snob and thus tend to watch overly pompous anime and won't be carrying on with this, first impressions suggest it's a pretty decent little show.
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 03:50   Link #22
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

I want to watch too D:

I was actually hoping they would cover how Kitaro was born and adopted in the first episode but I guess it's going to be a flash back perhaps... It's a great classic show based on mythical Japanese Youkai so it's interesting.

So did they introduce the Youkai featured by flashing their picture with their name at the bottom like they used to? The show was creepy when I first saw it at around 6 years old but it was good when I re-watched it later.
Xcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 04:29   Link #23
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcomp View Post
I want to watch too D:

I was actually hoping they would cover how Kitaro was born and adopted in the first episode but I guess it's going to be a flash back perhaps... It's a great classic show based on mythical Japanese Youkai so it's interesting.
Perhaps they'll cover that later, but the second episode is all about Nezumi Otoko so it probably won't be for a few episodes at least if they do. Start with the action and all that. To be honest, it's probably one of those things that's so engrained on the Japanese national consciousness that they may not bother!

Quote:
So did they introduce the Youkai featured by flashing their picture with their name at the bottom like they used to?
Yup, they did indeed.
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 05:32   Link #24
Siegel Clyne

GeGeGe no Kitarou (2007) Episode 1 TV Audience Rating - 8.9%

GeGeGe no Kitarou (2007) Episode 1 Television Audience Rating in the Kantou Region (Tokyo, Yokohama, Kawasaki, Saitama, Chiba, etc.), Japan

5.5% Fuji TV 2007-03-30 Friday 3:28 PM Dr. Slump Arare-chan (Repeat) (The End)

8.9% Fuji TV 2007-04-01 Sunday 9:00 AM - 9:30 AM GeGeGe no Kitarou (New)

7.8% Fuji TV 2007-04-01 Sunday 9:30 AM One Piece

3.3% NTV 2007-04-30 Friday 4:30 PM Soreike! Anpanman [Kurobarajouou to Roorupanna] [Tobe! Cheese Bucket Gou]
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 19:38   Link #25
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I hope somone picks up subbing for this show . Thanx for posting the ratings Siegel Clyne
Old 2007-04-02, 20:39   Link #26
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Kind of surprised to see the show beat One Piece in the ratings!

I'm also glad they didn't really change the OP song apart from a small part of the lyrics. They've missed out the original part about the "sports event in the graveyard, monsters don't die or fall ill"

Still, the "Gegege" part is what I remember from the few eps of the old series that I watched. Didn't know JP back then.
Old 2007-04-02, 21:42   Link #27
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Yeah I was pleasantlly suprised to know it beat One PeiceThat too for a remake which has no manga hype preceeding it . GeGeGe must be pretty damn popular franchise in Jp generations have grown up watching and enjoying it .
Old 2007-04-03, 04:47   Link #28
Lunacy

I, on the otherhand, am not surprised that it beat One Piece in ratings. Gegege has been around for generations, afterall.

As a fan of Gegege, I am really loving this 2007 version. I think the animation is looking quite good, also. You gotta love the classic intro song.

I do kinda miss the old haircut of Neko Musume, though. I forgot what that style is called.. it's similar to Chelsea Girl.. Ugh, I can't remember. It made her look more tomboyish and punky.
Lunacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 06:50   Link #29
mouhitori

Having watched episode 1, it is surprisingly pretty good. I have never seen any of the older series/movies, and a short look at the official website before watching didn't really impress me either.

The episode is simple, yet quite charming No wonder it managed to survive for generations.

Short summary and screencaps of episode 1
mouhitori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 11:01   Link #30
Koroku
formerly JKaizer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Koroku Send a message via MSN to Koroku Send a message via Yahoo to Koroku
I torrented a raw, if you know where to look.

The opening is... weird. I think that's all I can really say about it. I don't think I've heard "ge" said so many times in such a short period of time before. >_>
Old 2007-04-03, 13:31   Link #31
gianna
gigi

^Really - thanks much for that Right now I can't run the big one I got yesterday

lol I love the OP
Yeah the episodes are formulaic - even I get a bit bored sometimes but that was a great first episode Not surprised at the ratings results (at least for this week) -- I don't remember where (not Sakaiminato) but I saw a statue of Kitarou unveiled on TV a year or so ago The series is really well liked
gianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 01:23   Link #32
Koroku
formerly JKaizer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Koroku Send a message via MSN to Koroku Send a message via Yahoo to Koroku
Well, episode 2's out... torrented you know where.

I don't have time to watch through it right now, and I'm kinda a newbie at mass making credits... so I just used the MPC thumbnail creator thing ^^

Someone got tips on making better ones?

Anyways, here you go:
http://raws.heartxsteel.net/images/gegege2007-02.jpg
Old 2007-04-09, 02:08   Link #33
Lunacy

Yay. I can't wait to watch episode 2!

The torrent is so slow... I guess, I can't watch until tomorrow.
Old 2007-04-09, 02:29   Link #34
Koroku
formerly JKaizer
*Fansubber

My upload is 60 kb/s and my subbing group wanted the BD raw, so I had to get that going too. Hopefully next week I'll be able to devote the entire 60 kb/s to GGGK.
Old 2007-04-09, 02:33   Link #35
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I feel so left out : ( I am still hoping somone does take up subbing for this series or I will have to end up watching rawe . My japanese is not great so it wont make much sense .
Old 2007-04-09, 02:44   Link #36
Koroku
formerly JKaizer
*Fansubber

I'm hoping someone subs it as well...

If it's not picked up by summer time maybe I'll poke my group into doing it...
Old 2007-04-09, 03:06   Link #37
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKaizer View Post
IIf it's not picked up by summer time maybe I'll poke my group into doing it...
Thanx JKaizer it will be immensly appreciated I really want to watch the show bad . ^^
Old 2007-04-09, 03:42   Link #38
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

I just watched episode 1, and what a fun and entertaining show that was.

But, even if I wanted to sub it, I don't feel I would be capable. I feel like you'd really have to have a pretty deep knowledge of all these classic japanese ghost stories to truly translate it right.

I love neko-musume, though... she rocks! And Kitarou's character design is something that's cool no matter what decade you're in .
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 04:42   Link #39
Lunacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKaizer View Post
My upload is 60 kb/s and my subbing group wanted the BD raw, so I had to get that going too. Hopefully next week I'll be able to devote the entire 60 kb/s to GGGK.
I didn't realize that you guys are the uploader, but now that I know, I would like to thank you guys!

About subbing Gegege, I think it will certainly help create more new fans. And people that are familiar with Gegege will also appreciate your work. It's a win-win situation.

As far as having to know Japanese mythology and its story, there might come a time when that might be an issue, but as someone else previously said, Gegege uses very simple dialog and it shouldn't be difficult to translate most of the time. I say give it a shot if anyone is up for it. =)

I just got done with episode 2 and I must say I was a little letdown with the way the new ryoukai was handled. It was fun notheless watching Nezumi-otoko and Neko-Musume in street clothes.
Old 2007-04-10, 12:57   Link #40
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Kudos to whoever's distributing those rare RAWs of the show! I was pretty disappointed when I couldn't find any of this great classic

- Edit -

Episode 2

Medama: "As your father, I'm worried about your upbringing. I know, what if Nekomusume were to be your bride?

Nekomusume: "Oh, stop it, Tousan~"

Kitaro: "Come on dad, that's such a bad joke."

Nekomusume: "Joke?"

Medama: "Nekomusume's not bad, you know. She works hard and she will grow much more beautiful... Well, after you put up with her for another 200 years."

Nekomusume: "Put up with me?"

Ah, poor Nekomusume

Last edited by Xcomp; 2007-04-18 at 11:08.