AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-11-02, 16:55   Link #1
KiNG

Fullmetal Alchemist theories and (timeline) places

I thought it would be cool to open a thread, full of theories regrading the plot of Fullmetal Alchemist. Can I?

Major spoilers ahead, You have been warned!

I've heard two theories... Well, not completely, but one said something about that symbol that Pride has on his eye. Some said it's similar to the Shield of David, and it's some symbol from the Kabbala. The other one said, that the Ishbals represent the Jews in Germany during or before WWII.

Let's see... I believe the Ishbals do represnt the Jews, but I do not believe to that theory with Pride's eye, that's... Sort of nonsense. Anyway, I've also come to a conclusion that, the timeline involves the following countries;

- Germany (where Al and Ed are born), when the Nazi Germany began to stand on its feet. Why? Well, that is so obvious... In the series, King Bradley is said to be a "Fuhrer". Which is used in German for "leader", or "guide". Now, the truth is, if the general is said to be a Fuhrer, that means he is also taken as the third Reich, which is... What Hitler was said to be.

- (When Edward passes to the other side of the gate); England. Why? Well, this one is a bit more sophisticated. See, in that episode, we see Edward and his father, in a country which is being bombed by airplanes, but also tries to defend itself. Plus, all the people were at the streets, which means, it can't be Germany again, in a different timeline, because in Germany they were... prepared, you know. Anyway, it's not just that... Edward, also tells Envy, that the gate took him to London (in England, duh). Now think about it... It all seems clear now... Why? Read again what I wrote, and also, London was the city which Germany bombed the most, it was the city that suffered the most in England.

- (At the end of the series); Defeated Nazi Germany. No need to ask why... You can see that the army has fallen apart, everything is peaceful and all.
Old 2004-11-03, 04:52   Link #2
sakura_wingz

Send a message via ICQ to sakura_wingz Send a message via MSN to sakura_wingz
person...its an alternate universe...ur reading too deeply into it
Old 2004-11-03, 12:41   Link #3
KiNG

Alternate universe or not... It must be England. Plus, Hohenheim said that in this world, people use gas to kill people. The Nazis were said to use Cyclon.B gas type in order to eliminate the Jews ("The Holocaust"). Please, do not kill me for saying that... All I said is based on the plot of Fullmetal Alchemist.
Old 2004-11-04, 01:12   Link #4
Carrackus

Send a message via AIM to Carrackus
No your wrong about the gas. Look at the dates that are given. This is/was WW1, which was the first time war was fought "gruesomely." Many forms of war were used here that weren't in previous wars. One being chemical warfare. Nazi Germany didn't exist till before WW2 (like 5 years before or something like that). They were just Germany in WW1.

The alternate worlds are just that alternate. That means the continents don't have to be the same and the geography as well as the climate does have to be as well. maybe the place where Ed was at the time was the same point on the earth that England was in our Universe though.
Old 2004-11-04, 16:52   Link #5
KiNG

Hmmm... OK, I think you are correct, but take into account that I didn't really consider the timelines with dates, just with the events that occured. Right, chemical warfare first started in WWI. Well, I guess Cyclon.B was used in WWI as well.

So... Come to think of it, if Edward was in England, and there was a war, that probably was France which bombed them. One thing that bothers me, though, is why the currency was 'Marks', and not 'Pounds', if he was in England? Plus, the inflation mainly occured in Germany during WWI... Then why Englad? Did I just found a hole in the plot?

Anyway, if you have some theories of your own, share them...
Old 2004-11-04, 19:17   Link #6
justice_man

the first time Ed passes through the gate he is brought to London (England) during WW I (1914 - 1918)

the second time (in the end) Ed passes through the gate he is brought to Munich (Germany) and the year is 1921, during the inflation....
( I got a 50 million mark bill from back then )

EDIT:
And forget about Hitler... It wasn't until 1933 he came to power...
Old 2004-11-04, 23:44   Link #7
sakura_wingz

that's correct, he was chancellor.

i wonder why he ended up in munich...
Old 2004-11-05, 09:39   Link #8
KiNG

justice_man: Yep, I confessed my mistake... I said that it was WWI, not WWII. But now I see my problem... It was Munich in Germany when he was at the inflation era, I got confused with him saying that the gate had taken him to some place called London. And I know Hitler hadn't come to power yet at that time, no need to say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura_wingz
i wonder why he ended up in munich
I don't know why exactly, but surely it must have something to do with the fact that it still was the WWI era then.
Old 2004-11-05, 19:59   Link #9
sakura_wingz

the mystery...
Old 2004-11-06, 15:51   Link #10
justice_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura_wingz
i wonder why he ended up in munich...
The first time Ed goes through the gate he is hit by a zeppelin and "dies" before getting back through the gate.
I think the reason why he ended up in Munich the second time around is because there was another human body that looked like him... Just as Hohenheim says to him in London:
"In this world, the difference is that alchemy wasn't developed.
Other than that, it is quite similar to ours.
That's why there is a child that looks like you."

So I guess there just happens to be two children that looks like him...
But that doesn't explain why Ed still has his automail, and not a normal human body...
Closed Thread