AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Boku wa Tomodachi...

Notices

View Poll Results: Boku wa Tomodachi... - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 3 6.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 26.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 22.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 38.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 4.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.00%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-28, 18:38   Link #1
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire episodes of Boku wa Tomodachi... ... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, expectations and hopes about the DVD only footage etc.

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Characters/Character Design
  • Voice Acting

• Which kind of footage (DVD only) you feel you'd really like to see.
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers have done better.

And so on.

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Soundtrack: 1-10
Editing: 1-10
Enjoyment: 1-10
Emotional Involvement: 1-10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.

Feel free to discuss and more importantly, have fun
Old 2011-12-28, 19:57   Link #2
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Like Infinite Stratos, this is a guilty pleasure harem series for me. While it doesn't do enough different to really break the mold, it does enough different that I really enjoy it. The comedy is funny, the characters aren't annoying, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, which is surprising, considering I wasn't looking forward to this.

I liked the premise of a group of people trying to make friends. While the series doesn't go all the way with that premise, instead having fun with parodying harem episodes, stuff like the cellphone episode are just gold. They do have some smart discussions about friendship and it never truly gets lost within the generic fanservice cliches. The stuff I really liked about this anime was the fact that it was about terrible people failing badly at being social. This sort of disappeared in the second half of the show and I admit I wish this series was a little more like Seinfeld. Nonetheless, it's better at being Seinfeld than Lucky Star.

The characters are the main reason I watched this show, and like Durarara, I don't care too much about the actual episode content as long as the characters are utilized well. I really love the main trio. Kodaka is a likable character, and while not Tomoya Okazaki-level, he's not forgettable or annoying. I actually like that while he's supposed to be the straight man, he's not above craziness of his own (the cellphone episode and a drama CD where the characters try voice acting are good examples of this). Yozora is hilarious. One of the few bitchy female characters that I can stand, and I love how it's made clear that besides her looks, everything about her is crap. Sena is awesome as well. Love how she wants to make friends, yet her horrible personality keeps getting in the way. While I sort of would have preferred the series if it just stuck to these three as the only Neighbors Club members, I do like how they still get the most attention and that Yozora and Sena are the only real viable love interests for Kodaka.

The other members? I like them fine, but they don't get any real development whatsoever. Rika is my favorite, as she's so batshit insane, yet so happy with her life. Kobato is decent as a great little sister character who switches between obsessed with vampires and caring for her brother. Yukimura gets one or two funny moments, but mostly, he/she/it is just there. Maria is annoying, but the show is aware of that and never misses an opportunity to get her punished for something, which is hilarious in of itself.

Other than the members of the Neighbors' Club, there are no other characters in this show. Okay, there's Stella and Pegasus (and the nun who caught Maria naked in Episode 7), but besides them, this show doesn't have any other characters. I find that very weird, but considering that the members outside the main trio are plenty, I guess I can't complain. Still, the funnier scenes were when the normal characters misinterpreted anything related to Kodaka, and I wish there were some normal characters to make the weirder ones stand out (Kodaka does not really qualify).

The animation is inconsistent, the music is okay, and such. Some of the fanservices scenes, while perfectly blended in with the series for the most part, are kind of weird. There's a scene that focuses on Sena and Yozora's chests for no real reason in Episode 5 that doesn't mesh well like a scene where we can see that Yozora doesn't wear panties in Episode 2. You heard me right. The chest scene in Episode 5 is weirder than the no-panty scene in Episode 2. The editing is decent for the most part, as they never stay on a joke for too long. And above all, the reason I like this anime is that it knows what it wants to be (I didn't think the drama scenes were all that bad) and plays it up for all it's worth.

All in all, I like this series. I do wish some of the more risque chapters were adapted into the anime, and I wish that there were other normal characters for the club to play off of, but I do hope for a second season of this.

P.S.: I noticed people complained about the swimsuit episodes, but honestly, only one of them was a proper one (and even that looked more like a parody than a proper one). The first one only had one girl and used for development, the second one was more trying to get to the pool than an actual pool episode (especially since the huge crowd caused it to fail), and the third one was just showing off swimsuits for only a few minutes as setup for what to expect in the following episode.

Edit: Also, I really like how the main problem of this series isn't who Kodaka will end up with. It's more of the fact that these club members are friends, but they can't seem to see that. While probably not that unique, it's still a good main problem to have with a series like this.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck

Last edited by Flawfinder; 2011-12-29 at 13:08.
Old 2011-12-29, 14:13   Link #3
johnishida
Bishoujo Lover!

Send a message via MSN to johnishida
Animation Quality: 7
Animation was very good during the first few episodes (1 to 7) then it was just fine. Proportions, expresions, etc. were off and just plain weird sometimes. Hope they fix these in the Blu-rays.

Voice Actors: 8. Voice acting was great. I still give it a 8 because everytime Maria spoke I just wanted to pierce my eardrums. Maybe is because of her character but Yozora's voice was so dullfor me.

Script: 7. First half was a great with everyone having fun, character being introduced and the whole gang trying their best to be more sociable. The club pretty much loss it's purpose in the second half except maybe during the Festival where they actually went to place with lots of people around. Some of the jokes were overused and just got boring and some others parts weren't the least funny to begin with. The going to Sena's house and the beach episode (first half) were boring, IMO.

Liked how everyone joined a club to learn how to befriend people and themselves don't seem to really they, probably, are all friends already.

Character wise, they were really likeable. The only one I can't really bring myself to like too much is Yozora due to the way she keeps treating Maria and Sena. Some of her jokes were fun but, some other were just plain bullying in my eyes.

Kodaka is a great main character and probably the only "normal" of the bunch. Found both Kobato and Yukimura to be extremely cute. Sena is also cute for the most part, especially, when she asks Kodaka for help though, a bit creepy when around Kobato. Rika is a great character all around and finally Maria was somewhat annoying but, bearable and cute so it's too bad only Yozora got some character development...

Soundtrack: I didn't pay much attention to this part of the show to be honest but, I wasn't specially fond of the OP or ED (pretty much skipped them) and I can't really say any of the BGM tracks were memorable. So, I'll just give this part a 7.

Editing: Haven't read the LN so I can't say just how good was the editting for this show. Once again, I'll just say it's good. 7.

Enjoyment: Except for two episode I found just boring the series was really enjoyable. So, I'll give this an 8.

Emotional Involment: I can identify with the cast at some levels because I don't make friends so easily but, that's pretty much it. 7.

Overall, Haganai was pretty good harem comedy series and I'm really glad I watched this show. Should there ever be a second season I wish for more character development for the whole group.
Old 2011-12-29, 18:42   Link #4
Taivasvaeltaja

I really disliked the fact Kodaka never stopped Yozora from bullying other members. Yukimura had some fun lines, espcially the one about real men not caring about food additives. I find myself cheering for Sena even though I don't really even like her just because Yozora is just so awful.
Old 2011-12-30, 02:58   Link #5
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Rating: A

One of three shows (other two being Penguin Drum and Chihayafuru) that's airing this cour whose episodes I watched the moment I downloaded them. That at the very least says a lot, considering more and more anime I don't finish anymore.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2012-01-02, 02:16   Link #6
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

i love the novel, but the anime was quite a letdown.

animation=6: wasnt totally bad, didnt had big quality moments, but it was mostly average, in the last episode is seen clearly how different was the first episode from the rest animation wise, quite sad since usually last eps have good animation.

voice actors=8: some nailed the role others didnt shine so much, but was a good casting overall.

script=5: for a novel reader they did a bad job at this, some scenes, lost the origina touch, overall giving it a more ligthhearted feel to the story than the original.

Soundtrack=3: other than the ending horrible, plain and bland bgm, not to mention the horrible bgm direction,lot of scenes sounded weird with the bgm they used.

Editing=4: lot of things cutted, worst thing toning donw sena's personality that changes a lot how we perceive other characters, specially yozora and kodaka.

enjoyment=7: even as poor as it was, it had its good moments, and was great to see some scenes animated, but mostly of my enjoyment was just to se those scenes i wanted animated.

Emotional involvement=9: i love the characters, specially how i can relate with some of the characters, and how there are crazy situations that end in a realistic way, but most of that it from my love to the Ligt novel

average=6
Old 2012-01-04, 21:38   Link #7
Miraluka
Banned

Animation Quality: 6 What could have been of this series with the previous art design .
Voice Actors: 8, Yeah, good job there.
Script: 5, I was like o_ó at the skipped parts of the original but I wouldn't mind if the scenes were handled better, the staff failed at this.
Soundtrack: 3, Horrible opening, good ending and lame soundtrack.
Editing: Sure they are new to this because there barely is consistence.
Enjoyment: 6 Sometimes good, sometimes bad, when I know before the original series before getting adapted into anime and I can enjoy it the same as the original in the anime format I know its a good series, but this one isn't.
Emotional Involvement: There was? Don't know, most of them came from the LN and the manga... ok, 6.

Overall, I'll give it a 6.5.
Old 2012-01-05, 20:15   Link #8
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taivasvaeltaja View Post
I really disliked the fact Kodaka never stopped Yozora from bullying other members.
Yes, Kodaka really was too indifferent, or even apathetic, in regard to these things.
I really don't see why, as he showed that he *did* care for Sena in that episode he was at the pool with her, and she was pestered by those hoodlums.
So why the "I don't give a damn" attitude at other times? Scared of Yozora? Stoned?
Old 2012-01-06, 20:43   Link #9
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Yes, Kodaka really was too indifferent, or even apathetic, in regard to these things.
I really don't see why, as he showed that he *did* care for Sena in that episode he was at the pool with her, and she was pestered by those hoodlums.
So why the "I don't give a damn" attitude at other times? Scared of Yozora? Stoned?
According to the novels, it's because he sees it as something typical of the two. While it's a little more cruel than Maria and Kobato, Kodaka just sees it as "Oh great. They're at it again. Just ignore them."

Old 2012-01-09, 12:39   Link #10
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Overall it was an enjoyable series, however after the first few episodes the quality tapered off and was just never the same. By the time they got to the last episode, well, it was a good place to stop. I just got the feeling they just didn't have enough to fill the season, and the forced drama with Yozora was a poor effect-- I just didn't buy it. Which is a sad thing, since I find Yozora to be a fun character with her vicous trolling (but only if she is provoked) She actually has a sense of justice against bullies, but the things that happened caused to have a twisted view of the world which led to the person she is now. That's good and all, but we never really moved beyond that point.

The other characters were noteworthy, was definitely Sena. She's like everything Kirino should have been and is pretty hawt. It was a nice revelation that her snobby attitude all came from insecurity, making her one of the more fleshed out (in ways more than one) members of the series. Kodaka was also a decent male lead, being a sensible and caring guy, but not bland to the point where he's not there. You could see why he acts like that, as he serves as the straight man compared to everyone else. Rika is kinda fun, and Yukimura is amusing but not that interesting since they're pretty much defined by their archtype, as well as Kobato and Maria. Maria was definitely a minus.

The show took a huge fall once it just decided to toss out fanservice instead of actually being funny, but at least the fanservice was good. The animation quality suffered badly in spots near the end though.

On the good side, the humor was sharp when it was on its game. The show really knew how to get reactions out of people by playing the cruelty card to its fullest extent. Comedic sociopathy indeed in which the show knew just where to reach the limits of outrageousness without completely crossing it. The best parts tend to be the imagine spots, especially the video game parts.

It was fun, though unfortunately I can't recommend this series as a whole to someone; maybe the first few episodes for laughs, but that's it.

6.5/10 -- Marginal Recommendation for those with the niche interest in this genre. Since nobody lets me have deciimals, I just go with 7 on AS and 6 on MAL.

Spoiler for A quick definition of the overall score:

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-01-09, 16:50   Link #11
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Yeah, personally, I rate the anime based on whether I really enjoyed it. And while I don't think this series is really all that great (I probably should have ranked it lower), I just love watching these characters interact off each other.

Old 2012-01-09, 18:12   Link #12
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
lol, yea, I usually go by enjoyment. But there is no doubt I slowly enjoyed the series less and less due to the perceived budget/effort/writing issues that popped up.

Then again, everyone has their own way of adjusting their Arbitrary Rating System ™

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-01-11, 03:32   Link #13
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Disclaimer: I'm just going to bitch. I actually like this series a lot more than this post implies.

But it is less good than it should have been, by far.

• Starts off very strongly. Fizzles out somewhere along the lines. It's half a sharp parody of Light Novel Harem tropes and half wanting to be yet another Light Novel Harem.

• I like Sena, I really do, I think she's adorable, but I don't care for the overwhelming amount and the pandering nature of her fanservice. Let me fall in love with her character, not her boobs, for fuck's sake. You oppai lovers can kindly shove off.

Also, I'm getting sick of having to adblock the ever-changing oppai-avatars-of-the-season here. Jesus people.

• OP is horrible. The sort of insult to music that gives "moe anime" music a bad name. It's more of a "we're selling how cute our characters are" than "try to enjoy the music." ED isn't as bad, but it's not exactly good.

• The two videogame parodies are paced too close together. One of those "what were you thinking" decisions. Albeit, I lol'd @ how Monster Hunter became such an emblem of "friendship game" in Japanese otaku culture so quickly. It's not just this series that's recognizing it.

• Kodaka is objectively a good and strong person, unfortunately like half of such characters, who really do tend to be better and stronger than the desecrated reputation of harem leads, he's far too passive and is not showing off his good points nearly as often as he could, or should.

I know the selling point of a harem is its girls, but are they afraid they'd make us insecure if Kodaka shows his capability and worth more often or something? If he's funnier and cuter in some way? He really only shows his good point once with the Sena pool episode, and in being a good brother to Kobato, otherwise he doesn't really do much of anything. It's not like there's a rule that the main lead cannot exceed a certain cool meter in a pure rom-com versus an action series where someone like Lelouch is free to strut around being fabulous, or a mystery like Penguindrum where the brothers get to be quirky and fun and epic as much as they want.

Of course, this may be a legacy of the LN. When you're in someone's head said someone doesn't really need to do much except comment on everything under the sun to feel like he's an active participant or at least observer. We are not, however, in Kodaka's head.

• Rika ends up being kinda bipolar. Oftentimes she's a show-stealer, some other times it's stretching the "Rika is a pervert" punchline. Word of advice (to no one in particular): UNIVERSE is really funny the first time, a parody of itself the second time, indulgences and Family Guy level punchline-out-stays-its-welcome if it becomes her defining "moe" trait. What about her normal, nice friendly girl side, or her supposed genius? Rounded characters are interesting. Girls with many sides are fun. Why else are tsunderes so fundamentally popular?

• Yozora hate and Yozora luv among the fanbase is lulz. I'm more of a Yozora is cool but she goes way overboard and needs to learn some restraint camp. Unfortunately bitter Yozora is really kind of a bitch, and dere Yozora is hit with a mushy cheese hammer circa episode 12. Subtle drama, everyone. I know you're capable of it.

The bitchy part would probably work better if this series embrace the parody route more decisively, mind.

• Also regarding Yozora: childhood friend reveal obvious is obvious. Perhaps it is meant to be obvious because of the meta reason that it is already obvious to the main audience in Japan, but if that is the case the anime doesn't make it clear that it understands how obvious it is making things. On the same vein, cheesy reveal is cheesy. There are better ways to "frame" that reveal than what happened.

• Now for the unabashedly biased good point: Kobato.

Last edited by Irenicus; 2012-01-11 at 03:45.
Old 2012-01-19, 10:48   Link #14
mironicus

It seems the BDs are very successful.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...g/january-9-15
Old 2012-01-30, 19:52   Link #15
Ilidsor
Angelerator

I just discovered this series, and I've got to say it's really great. I started the manga two days ago, and by yesterday I'd read all the chapters, watched the entire anime, and read volume 4, and everything that's translated after it. I can't wait for more stuff to be translated

I'm also a big Kodaka/Yozora shipper BTW.
Old 2012-06-21, 21:41   Link #16
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I honestly have no idea what I was expecting from this series. I thought Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai would be an interesting twist on the harem genre but unfortunately almost everything about it went wrong. More thoughts below...
Spoiler for Length:
GANBARIMASU
Old 2012-06-21, 22:29   Link #17
Miraluka
Banned

If this make you feel any better the anime skipped various chapters from the novels thus the reason why feels so rushed after the first story that had its focus on the main trio.
Closed Thread