AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-14, 07:27   Link #41
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
instead, they seem to slur her speech a bit (dropping g's from -ing words from time to time)
*sniff*
Despite what the Triad may have you believe, Osaka does not talk in standard Japanese...
Old 2004-04-14, 15:06   Link #42
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky-Electric
Yeah, they could also fix Yukari being a Spanish teacher in Volume 1 and remove Osaka's brooklyn accent like they did in later volumes. They still use "fuhgetaboutit", but no more brooklyn accent.
Oh, yes, I remember that crisis. The fanboys were bitching and moaning all over the internet not knowing when to shut up or possibly wait until it gets better. They were shouting "They killed the AzuDai manga! The web translations are so much better" and from what I heard it sounded like Yoda wrote it. Later they made Yukari teaching English and got rid of Osaka's Brooklin accent but that doesn't mean it made them shut it. They still complain about "fuhgetaboutit" not being "nandeyanen" (Translation: 1. "Why" 2. "Why in the heck" 3. (Most acceptable) "What the hell") To this day they still whine about the manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seravy
They did a great job with v3. It would be nice if they rereleased v1 & 2 with notes and make the notes available on their website (for those who have purchased v1 & 2 already)
They might release the first 2 with the notes (and by might, I really mean we ain't getting squat.) It would be kind of nice if they took the time and did.

As for me now I'm waiting for the anime. Hurry up and come out! You allowed the manga to come in our stores a week earlier than usual! Do it for the anime, too! Oh, well. (Watches episode one from the Newtype DVD again.)
Old 2004-04-14, 15:51   Link #43
ubb

The reason why Yukari was changed to a spanish teacher is because there are several strips detailing on how she dealt with foreigners. Now if her role as an english teacher remains for the adv version, it would seem kind of strange that she would run away from men that speaks her native language(in the adv version it would be english) and people might think she has a shy personality(which any azumanga fan will disagree).
Old 2004-04-14, 16:07   Link #44
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb
As for me now I'm waiting for the anime. Hurry up and come out! You allowed the manga to come in our stores a week earlier than usual! Do it for the anime, too! Oh, well. (Watches episode one from the Newtype DVD again.)

It is out, I do belive it has been out for a week now.

I got my copy in the mail today. I'm going to go watch it now.
Old 2004-04-14, 22:05   Link #45
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
Despite what the Triad may have you believe, Osaka does not talk in standard Japanese...
ok...the only version of the anime i have EVER seen has been the first episode packaged with April's newtype thusfar
in the MANGA that ADV translated, they "slurred" her speech like i said, dropping g's, making it sort of dialectical (but later on it just sounds like rough english rather than specifically New York or Southern accent)
And the first volume was a major hiccup, the way they deal with Yukari's english teaching and dialogue later in the series influences their later work that has english words among the original japanese dialogue (Happy Lesson for instance)
Old 2004-04-14, 22:13   Link #46
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
in the MANGA that ADV translated, they "slurred" her speech like i said, dropping g's, making it sort of dialectical (but later on it just sounds like rough english rather than specifically New York or Southern accent)
There's no better way to indicate the accent in English as far as I know.
Old 2004-04-15, 01:41   Link #47
Seravy
Dorothy-chaaan~!

Quote:
just a personal preference, but i think trying to translate a Japanese accent like Osaka's to an English analogue is wasted effort. since the end result just looks bad. i'm glad ADV's taken the route of just roughing her speach rather than stick to authentic brooklyn (which was stupid). re: Triad's -- since we can obviously hear her speaking differently from others there isn't an urgency to translate her accent in the dialogue. in a manga though instead of roughing speach, pointing out that she has an accent would be sufficient in my book.
Old 2004-04-15, 20:52   Link #48
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaki
It is out, I do belive it has been out for a week now.

I got my copy in the mail today. I'm going to go watch it now.
Damn you, Weebull, you win this time. >_<

I really mean good for you. I was just pulling your chain and in Philadelphia it ain't coming out for a while. I'll check the mall over the weekend.
Old 2004-04-16, 15:10   Link #49
Ruisu
勇気ある者

Send a message via AIM to Ruisu
Quote:
I'm guessing they decided that they decided the racuous, informal stereotype of Osaka was similar to a stereotype of New York. Unfortunately, they hit off the mark, because you would expect someone from New York to be more like arrogant and violent. Also, New York street slang (which someone like Osaka wouldn't even use in the first place) is not comparable to the Kansai dialect. It's more like Japanese mafia-related slang.

I prefer the fan-translation, which had Osaka speaking with a simple Southern accent. Although it's a bit outdated, the northeastern U.S. is viewed as more formal and secular, whereas the southeastern U.S. is more informal and friendly. (This stereotype is exploited horribly during election year... my God -_- I think eventually ADV just gave up on the dialect.
Heh, better late than never. I think that they gave Osaka a New York accent is because (after speaking with a bunch of translators I know), the Japanese look at the Kansai dialect in the same manner english-speakers view the "New York accent". I guess someone listened to all the complaints about why you should not give Kansai-ben speakers the southern accent (I can still hear the infernal Kitsune dub T_T)...

Either way, they're just stereotypes. Kinda like the whole thing with how the Yakuza tend to really roll the r's (and change stuff like "nai" into "nee"...).
Old 2007-01-09, 00:33   Link #50
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka View Post
The first volume has a rather sucky translation and casts everyone in a bad light. For example
- Osaka is translated as having a New York accent for no reason, and also she swears a lot.
- As TechnoMage pointed out, Yukari is a Spanish teacher (?!)
- Chiyo is not at all portrayed as cute, IMHO at least.
The second volume improves on the translation. Many of these problems are fixed.
I know. Osaka saying the phrase "Bald ass old men" sounded disgustingly inappropriate. On top of that, she sounds like she's coming close to speaking eubonics on several occasions. Even if she is sopposed to have an accent, she's still trying to make a good impression, and isn't actually sopposed to act like a stereotypical New Yorker. That's the point of her character.
Old 2007-01-09, 12:05   Link #51
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Welcome to ADV Manga. The department with no funding, no staff, and is edited by a Trained Monkey who's resume includes 'Throwing Feces at the Enemies'.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2007-01-09, 17:26   Link #52
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually, the big game these days is FINDING ADV Manga -- outside of a long abandoned webpage on the ADV website, no one at ADV will respond to any manga questions -- email sent isn't responded to (though they add you to their spam newslist) and phone calls end up at voicemail.

Wierdly, you can still find new prints of AzuDa and the first 3 volumes of Yotsuba& on shelves.... as if the head was removed but the body is still making prints.... wierd and antagonizing.

I have both the ADV english and the original Japanese releases of the manga (it is only 4 volumes after all). Its kind of fun comparing the two and shaking your head...

One of the best handlings of multiple language situations I ever saw (and wish folks who handled Ichigo Masimaru and AzuDa would have watched for hints) was Red October (the nuke submarine Cold War spy movie).
Old 2007-01-12, 03:14   Link #53
Chi-no
Light & Dark User

There is Manga version for this anime ? Couldn't find it anywhere here .... Would love to get it in manga version...
Old 2007-01-12, 03:26   Link #54
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its available as a 4 volume set from Amazon.com, bn.com (Barnes&Noble), and other bookstores. If you want the original japanese version, amazon.co.jp carries all 4 volumes as well. In other words, its in print and licensed. Since you're a recent join, best take a look at the forum rules if you haven't already
Old 2007-01-14, 19:49   Link #55
Jigs
Gaming God

I have a question.. Is there only 4 volumes to this series because thats all ive been able to find.. -_-
Old 2007-01-14, 20:12   Link #56
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Yes, it's only four volumes.
Old 2007-01-25, 12:15   Link #57
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The story ends at the end of the fourth volume.... (though it might be kind of neat to have a college sequel - the girls do split up to go to their various colleges).

The manga author is working on a series now called Yotsubato. There are six volumes released in Japan... ADVmanga released three and then stalled almost two years ago (bastards). Currently they're just sitting on the license.
Old 2007-01-27, 02:22   Link #58
MugenIchiban

Damn, 4 Volumes seem kinda short. Does it follow the anime or does it go on a different path? I'm kinda interested in buyin it now that I know its only 4 volumes.
Old 2007-01-27, 05:38   Link #59
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenIchiban View Post
Damn, 4 Volumes seem kinda short. Does it follow the anime or does it go on a different path? I'm kinda interested in buyin it now that I know its only 4 volumes.
Both the anime and the manga cover the same time period -- the three years of japanese high school. For the most part, its almost a frame by frame transposition (they do re-organize some events and change a character involved here and there). The manga is actually a collected works made up of 4 panel strips, so almost every page has a gag even when they're telling an extended story (like the Okinawa trip for example).

The english version has some translation oddities (like at first they try making Yukari's class a spanish class, then later drop that idea and just use odd fonts and stuff for 'english'.) The end of each volume has an appendix where the translator explains why they made the choices they did (often it was that jokes involving wordplay and puns needed to be replaced with something that worked in English).

I dunno, I have both the JP and EN versions and consider them some of my best buys in my manga collection.
Old 2007-04-04, 17:23   Link #60
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Ah, I just finished reading the 4th volume and I absolutely loved it! Incredibly cute characters and some scenes literally had me rolling on the floor laughing.
It was also rather easy to read, which for me, with my still quite weak knowledge of Japanese, was a plus.
If there's any not-so-difficult manga out there which can be compared to Azumanga Daioh, please let me know. ^^ Are the author's other works worth checking out?

Tags
comedy, slice of life