Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-04, 19:00   Link #1
Rab
UG'er

Send a message via MSN to Rab
I'm interested in Mecha anime with Romance. (Suggestions)

Just finished Macross Frontier today, its been an enjoyable experience watching it. I found it was a change for me (rarely watch Mecha). That is why I'm now going to ask you for suggestions for similar anime.

Genre preference: Action, Mecha, Music, Romance, Sci-Fi.

Also, I'm trying to stay away from political anime such as Gundam, they dealt with the horrors of war. I would rather see individual characters' with warfare and how they deal with it, their relationships between each other; drama, rather than focus too much upon the action.

It's optional for suggestions being outside of Mecha. But, still share similarities.

Thanks in advance.
Old 2009-11-04, 19:04   Link #2
ArianaChaz
Charcoal Feather Brigade

I believe Full Metal Panic has exactly what you're looking for. It is both mecha-y, action-y, and romance-y. Yay!
Old 2009-11-04, 19:28   Link #3
woodearth
Ramen Hunter

Raxephon might count. It fits most if not all of your preferences. Give the movie version a try first before deciding to delve into the series.

Also stay away from Reideen (2007 version). The OP will lead you into thinking there is significant romance but it does develop properly in the show itself.
Old 2009-11-04, 19:35   Link #4
Troilism

gunparade march sounds like something you would enjoy. I know there is gunparade orchestra as well but I'm not sure on how good that is..
Old 2009-11-04, 23:19   Link #5
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
yeah i definitely recommend Full Metal Panic, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, and Full Metal Panic TSR.

its a great show that i think you'll love. the only thing is that Fumoffu is a collection of side stories from the light novels that dont have much mecha action.

some others you might like are.
Martian Successor Nadesico
Goddanar
Vandread.
Old 2009-11-04, 23:29   Link #6
McMilk
*Artist

Eureka Seven. Great music, art, romance, mecha. Totally sci-fi... just everything you mentioned in your post.

Also... somebody's going to bring this up one day, so I'll just say it now. Code Geass isn't like Gundam, so you should give it a try.
Old 2009-11-04, 23:33   Link #7
rurupeceaue
2D-Girls Banzai!!

I'll second: Eureka seven and Full Metal Achemist (1st, 2nd and OVA). It has all the genre's your looking for.

Code Geass is a good one as well.

...it's hard to do something when you don't have time because of work - missing my NEET days
Old 2009-11-04, 23:52   Link #8
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Full Metal Panic is probably what you are looking for.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2009-11-05, 00:24   Link #9
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Dare I ask if you've seen Evangelion? No, you don't need to jump down my throat telling me it's not a mecha anime - I've heard it already. But it damn well has mecha in it and sort of transcends any genre - there's certainly the personal drama the OP is asking for. It does have action and some of the larger "cost of war" stuff, but the heart of the series is the personal drama.
Old 2009-11-05, 00:56   Link #10
Sasano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab View Post
Just finished Macross Frontier today, its been an enjoyable experience watching it. I found it was a change for me (rarely watch Mecha). That is why I'm now going to ask you for suggestions for similar anime.

Genre preference: Action, Mecha, Music, Romance, Sci-Fi.

Also, I'm trying to stay away from political anime such as Gundam, they dealt with the horrors of war. I would rather see individual characters' with warfare and how they deal with it, their relationships between each other; drama, rather than focus too much upon the action.

It's optional for suggestions being outside of Mecha. But, still share similarities.

Thanks in advance.
Im gonna support both eureka 7 & Evangelion(MUST WATCH) and add in 8th MS Team Im REALLY surprised people here dared to talk about romantic mecha and not mention it, infidels all of you.

If you are wondering 8th MS team is a Gundam mecha anime.But unlike other gundam its priority above all is the romance everything including the mechas takes 2nd place to the romance.PERSONALLY I didn't like it for several reasons but I hear a lot of people that are more into the romance genre like it.

Apart from that, how about Escaflowene?
Old 2009-11-05, 01:18   Link #11
Ansalem
Speaker

I have no idea why people are suggesting Code Geass. The OP specifically says that they don't want a political show, and Code Geass is incredibly more based on political intrigue of war than Gundam, and has little romance.

I'd agree with the suggestion of Escaflowne. It has a strong romance theme and deals a lot with the characters dealing with the war.
Old 2009-11-05, 05:33   Link #12
Rab
UG'er

You've all been really helpful. I had a look over a few of the aforementioned suggestions, and I've chosen a couple for later.

Picked: Escaflowne, Evangelion, Vandread.

I don't need anymore suggestions.
Old 2009-11-05, 06:22   Link #13
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Seems that I'm late for the thread, but you say Macross Frontier? That means you want transforming mecha with music from Yoko Kanno.

That means you should pick up Macross Plus and Aquarion immediately.

Actually you should just watch the entire Macross franchise.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-11-05, 09:54   Link #14
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Try Asura Cryin. It is still in the makes but it is quite fits your description.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-11-05, 11:02   Link #15
Rab
UG'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Seems that I'm late for the thread, but you say Macross Frontier? That means you want transforming mecha with music from Yoko Kanno.

That means you should pick up Macross Plus and Aquarion immediately.

Actually you should just watch the entire Macross franchise.
I've recently just finished the Macross franchise with Macross Frontier.
Old 2009-11-05, 12:05   Link #16
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

You should check out Full Metal Panic its one of the best action packed romantic comedies around . Also focus is on character/character relationship and up/downs of teenage romance more than mecha . The only other one I can think of which specifically and perfectly fits the criterion is Dragonaut . But thats just a no no no if you ask me
Old 2009-11-05, 15:14   Link #17
demoran23

I've seen both Escaflowne and Evangelion. Evangelion doesn't hold up well against the test of time, unless you're into pretension.

Having said that, while Escaflowne is a good watch, the better value is on Eureka Seven. I'd group this with Xam'd as well (they're all quite similar), but Xam'd doesn't have a strong romance component.

Full Metal Panic is a solid entry as well, but again it lacks in any serious romance like you'd find in Macross Frontier (one of my 10s!). Of the anime on my own hitlist that meets you criteria, Mai Otome shows up (Mai-HIME is on there as well, but doesn't meet my search parameters).

Here's a full anidb category search for you.
Old 2009-11-05, 15:31   Link #18
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Don't forget the older Macross series!!!
Old 2009-11-05, 15:36   Link #19
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
Old Macross series definitely, in USA it's Robotech. Code Geass, Vision of Escaflowne and Vandread.
Old 2009-11-05, 15:39   Link #20
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Cloud View Post
Old Macross series definitely, in USA it's Robotech. Code Geass, Vision of Escaflowne and Vandread.
No, its Macross. Robotech is totally different and isn't included in the greatness that is Macross. Macross, the original series, was released in the US, apart from Robotech.

Either way, watch the older Macross series. You already have an idea about Macross Zero from the Frontier episode with the movie but its a great watch. Macross Plus was really good too, great action.