AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-09-19, 16:45   Link #1
Gundam Zero Force

Console games on a pc monitor?

Is it possible to play a console game (like a xbox 360) on a pc monitor. I have this small mono 13' tv screen and if I can find a way to play my 360 on my 19' pc monitor I will be willing to spend a little $$$ to make it happen. So far the only way I know how to do this is with a video capture card but I was wondering if there was a adapter I can actually buy that connects the Yellow, red, white, and audio plugs to the back of the pc monitor.

so my main question's are:

1) Is there a device like this?
2) If this device works, how does audio work? (Like listening with headphones)

Thanks for the help as always
Gundam Zero Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-19, 17:08   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've seen plenty of hardware solutions for connecting computers to televisions... but can't recall one for connecting a monitor that doesn't already have a "tv" jack" to a "tv out" console. I'd kind of like one as well for our Wii for various arcane reasons (such as our tv room is not used for gaming and we already have some handy PC flatscreens so why not?).

You might browse Tigerdirect.com as they have a lot of "oddball" hardware solutions for strange people like us with special needs
Old 2007-09-19, 17:38   Link #3
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

The ATi TV Wonder USB would do the job too. Have a look - http://ati.amd.com/products/tvwonderusb20/index.html . I used to use the ATi TV Wonder PCI card back in the day.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-19, 18:17   Link #4
Gundam Zero Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by matradley View Post
The ATi TV Wonder USB would do the job too. Have a look - http://ati.amd.com/products/tvwonderusb20/index.html . I used to use the ATi TV Wonder PCI card back in the day.
I took a look at this device, it looks pretty neat. My only queston though is does it have the yellow, white, and red cables? Also is it compatiable with Vista?

EDIT: ok,nevermind it does have those outputs, that site has some nice video capture cards as well. I may get one of those instead since it looks like those can do the same thing but also record as well. Thanks!

ok I found this video capture card that I may consider buying since it has all the features I am looking for plus it is certified to be compatiable with Vista. One question though will it work with a duo core computer?? here are the specs for it>>>

TV WONDER 650 PCI

SPECS

System Requirements
  • Intel� Pentium� 4 Celeron�, AMD� Athlon� Sempron� or compatible
  • 256 MB or more of system memory
  • Sound Card and speakers
  • Motherboard with available PCI slot
  • Cable TV signal or amplified antenna for NTSC TV signals
  • Amplified antenna for ATSC HDTV signals and FM Radio
  • Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
  • Windows� XP Media Center Edition 2005 requires use of a compatible remote control and DVD decoder (not included)
  • DVD decoder is included with Catalyst Media Center�
Operating Systems
  • Windows� XP Home Edition
  • Windows� XP Professional Edition
  • Windows� XP Media Center Edition 2005
  • ATI Certified - Windows Vista� Premium Ready
Compatibility
  • TV Wonder� 650 is compatible with all high quality graphics sub-systems supporting DirectX� overlay, including products from the following manufacturers: ATI and NVIDIA
  • An ATI Radeon� 9600 or newer graphics card is recommended for optimal display output quality.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I highlighted the words I am concerned about, I just want to make sure what I buy will work with the computer I have, I have plenty or ram and a great graphics card. I just want to make sure sure this card can still work with a duo core processor.

Last edited by Gundam Zero Force; 2007-09-19 at 18:40.
Old 2007-09-20, 00:26   Link #5
problemedchild
ô_ô

Your CPU is fine.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 00:38   Link #6
Sides

Just get the vga cable for the 360, that will do, it also has 2 phono out plugs for audio. The ps3 can be connected to a dvi port via adapter and for the wii, the VD-W2 cable from VDigi, note that 480i games will not be supported.
Alternatively a vga box, like X2VGA 2, VD-Z3 or a upscaler like the XRGB-3 will do as well.
All these solution allows you to hook up your console directly ether to the VGA port or DVI port, much better than going through a system.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 01:30   Link #7
neutralizer
Hinagiku-ist

Send a message via AIM to neutralizer
Your best bet if you're using the 360 is the VGA HD cable. It has a VGA output and the same red and white component audio output. If you have a PC speaker system that takes stereo miniplug, you can get a small adapter that converts the component to the stereo miniplug.
neutralizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 07:16   Link #8
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

I like the fact that MS 360 and the PS3 have released computer compatible connectors. However, if you want to get the ATi card, it would benefit you a bit more than just purchasing a connector for one system. This way, at least, you will be able to connect more systems to your PC and if you wanted to, you could record content from your VCR!
Old 2007-09-20, 11:46   Link #9
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakutoKun View Post
However, if you want to get the ATi card, it would benefit you a bit more than just purchasing a connector for one system. This way, at least, you will be able to connect more systems to your PC and if you wanted to, you could record content from your VCR!
But you'll get lower resolution with current capture cards (480i) and also input lag. So if you really want to make most of your console, a direct connection is the best way to do so.
Old 2007-09-20, 15:08   Link #10
Gundam Zero Force

Wow thanks everyone fo the replies, I am actually looking for both of these devices so this thread worked out perfectly!

I need the capture card for my camera and keyboard so I can record stuff and that VGA cable for the 360 is also what I need.

Quote:
Just get the vga cable for the 360, that will do, it also has 2 phono out plugs for audio. The ps3 can be connected to a dvi port via adapter and for the wii, the VD-W2 cable from VDigi, note that 480i games will not be supported.
Alternatively a vga box, like X2VGA 2, VD-Z3 or a upscaler like the XRGB-3 will do as well.
All these solution allows you to hook up your console directly ether to the VGA port or DVI port, much better than going through a system.
Is it possible to find this device at any Best Buy/gaming store? Or is it only avaliable online?
Old 2007-09-20, 15:36   Link #11
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
But you'll get lower resolution with current capture cards (480i) and also input lag. So if you really want to make most of your console, a direct connection is the best way to do so.
Good point.
Old 2007-09-20, 18:27   Link #12
Gundam Zero Force

ok, I went to best buy and found a nice USB 2.0 capture device so that is settled.

Now about the VGA HD Cable that works with a console, I did see that at best buy but I did not buy it becasue I am not sure if it will work with the pc monitor I have. You see displaying video is the easy part, but as for the rigtht and left channel cords (red and white cables for audio) I don't know where those are supposed to go. I guess I am going to have to find the right cables/adapters to make this work . . . . so for now I'll use my new capture device even though the quality may not be perfect at least I'll have stereo.
Quote:

Your best bet if you're using the 360 is the VGA HD cable. It has a VGA output and the same red and white component audio output. If you have a PC speaker system that takes stereo miniplug, you can get a small adapter that converts the component to the stereo miniplug.
So this stereo miniplug converts the right and left channel cables into a small miniplug which I can insert into the back of my computer?? If that is the device you are talking about that is exactly what I need My speakers and headphones are hooked up directly in my computer so this would be exactly what I need.
Old 2007-09-21, 03:03   Link #13
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam Zero Force View Post
So this stereo miniplug converts the right and left channel cables into a small miniplug which I can insert into the back of my computer?? If that is the device you are talking about that is exactly what I need My speakers and headphones are hooked up directly in my computer so this would be exactly what I need.
Yes but,
what you want to do is to connect the RCA plugs directly to your speaker system or headphones. Check the connector on your Speaker system and then look for a RCA adapter to the appropriate connector , i.e something like this 2 RCA female to 1 female (1/4"), for headphone
Bascially what you'll end up is, that you do not need a computer anymore, just the monitor and speaker system, pretty much like hooking up the 360 to a TV with a speaker system.

If your speaker system has a optical port, use that, instead of the RCAs.
Old 2007-09-21, 19:18   Link #14
pepper_begs

Hi,
Is an up scaler like the XRGB-3 available any more?

I have a PS2 and I'm playing on a 37 inch Westinghouse monitor. Some games have the jaggies pretty bad.

I'd buy a PS3 but you can't get good RPGs on ebay for it.
pepper_begs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-22, 15:29   Link #15
Gundam Zero Force

Quote:
Yes but,
what you want to do is to connect the RCA plugs directly to your speaker system or headphones. Check the connector on your Speaker system and then look for a RCA adapter to the appropriate connector , i.e something like this 2 RCA female to 1 female (1/4"), for headphone
Bascially what you'll end up is, that you do not need a computer anymore, just the monitor and speaker system, pretty much like hooking up the 360 to a TV with a speaker system.
Ok I can now play my 360 with my pc monitor and speakers

But I can't play with headphones yet, And this is the way I prefer to play.

I have come across an issue, while I know which adapter I need to play with headphones I have no way of adjusting the volume of the game I play since the audio output goes straight to my headphones. Unlike a speaker where I can adjust the knob to make it louder or softer I have no adjustemnts avalible when I play with headphones . . . . .
Old 2007-09-22, 16:56   Link #16
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam Zero Force View Post
I have no way of adjusting the volume of the game I play since the audio output goes straight to my headphones. Unlike a speaker where I can adjust the knob to make it louder or softer I have no adjustemnts avalible when I play with headphones . . . . .
Many games let you control the volume from their options screens. You might check into that.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-22, 17:39   Link #17
Gundam Zero Force

I got it all figured out now

I went to radio shack got the adapter and they also showed me this volume adjuster device that streams into the stereo output.

so in other words . . .

I can now take my pc monitor anywhere like any LCD tv, plug my console in and play in high quality and stereo. It may not be 1080i but it's better than playing on a 13' mono tv that is only 480i lol

Thanks everybody who contributed to this thread, you all helped me out a great deal as I tried to figure this out. This saved me a lot of $$ since the adapters didn't cost that much and I now don't have to buy a new tv.

Thanks
Old 2007-09-23, 02:45   Link #18
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_begs View Post
Hi,
Is an up scaler like the XRGB-3 available any more?

Don't know if they are still being build. Best thing to do is to contact some import shops or ask someone in japan if they are still available.

Try mailing gamechoiceclub.com and goldenshop.com.hk or try contacting micomsoft directly.