AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-09-15, 10:46   Link #121
Jechtsphere
The Black Swordsman

Send a message via MSN to Jechtsphere
People who don't like Halloween are just no fun...

and with that I'm not doing anything for Halloween, I'm too old so if I want candy I'll go buy some ^_^
Jechtsphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-15, 13:33   Link #122
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
IMO Halloween (or any other holiday for that matter) isn't just about the candy. It's about being with your friends and having fun, ne? I'll celebrate anything if it's fun, whether I believe in the reason behind the holiday or not.

Another great thing about holidays is that right after they're over, there are MASSIVE STORE SALES!!! After Halloween, you can buy super discounted (but perfectly good and yummy) candy at any store. I usually buy candy that'll last me a couple months, though this year I won't be able to.
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-15, 18:02   Link #123
Gaiarth

I'm going to be a vampire victim, seeing as I'm scehduled for a blood test that day
Gaiarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-17, 15:06   Link #124
Ancient Death
Lonely without Suigintou

I think I'll stay in my world
Ancient Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-17, 16:22   Link #125
Daughter!

This year I'm being a fat Elvis.
Daughter! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-17, 16:30   Link #126
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Some brief research would fix that. All 3 holidays derive from older pagan holidays and have had Christianity ladled over the top as that religion grew.

Halloween (Samhain) is the last day of the Keltic new year, the end of harvest and the transition when expired souls may re-appear. If you fed them, they wouldn't eat you....

Christmas (Saturnalia, Yuletide, Winter Solstice) ... gotta burn the yule log so that the star goat won't eat the sun... or some million variants of that. The decorated tree is a "sacrifice" of sorts and traditionally was burned as well since fire attracts the fire-riffic sun god back.

Easter (Vernal Equinox, also sometimes Beltane's festival)... yay for birth and rebirth, reincarnation, and fertility rites of spring.
eggs are druidic symbols of the life cycle.

Obviously those descriptions are a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I'm not sure what prevents you from having fun with holidays despite not being a member of the cult. Japanese celebrate Christmas despite being 99% Buddhist and Shinto simultaneously (and some go to Christian church as well... just more kami ya know). Technically, village festivals are for the local gods but people come from all over to join the fun.
I quote this because of its relevance my answer to the Halloween question.

As of late, there's a growing backlash against Halloween celebration in many churches, which I think is hilarious, because that means it's come full circle. It was originally a pagan holiday, and the Roman Catholic church tried to "clean it up" with All Saints Day. Now it's come back to being shunned as a pagan holiday.

Because of that, although I don't really stand on one side of the issue or the other, I'll be volunteering at a "Halloween alternative" put on by the local community. And that's pretty much all I'm doing.

I don't really celebrate any holiday, though (not because of any belief or stance I have, but because I'm boring), so when I'm through with that I'll come home, turn out all the lights, and hide from trick-or-treaters. If I have some spare candy and I'm feeling frisky, I might put on my Jedi outfit and hand out candy, but I doubt it.

As a slightly-off topic reply to the above quote, though, Easter deserves a little bit of a break, since there was actually a non-pagan holiday around there before it was "adopted" to become Easter. Passover has been calculated to be around that time by the Hebrew lunar calendar for several millenia. Putting it on that particular day in the Gregorian calendar, naming it after a Germanic pagan goddesss, including the pagan celebration icons... Yeah, like Christmas and Halloween, it was another Roman Catholic promotion to extinguish its celebration as specifically a pagan holiday and hopefully sway the pagan locals (just in the case of Easter it was trying to extinguish a Jewish holiday, as well).

Back on Halloween: I always figured it would be expedient for me since it would be the only time I could dress up and be ridiculous and be praised for it. Well, as it turns out, no one appreciates costumes based on wry political statements, and no one recognizes any costume I would be enthusiastic about, so it was still pointless. Yes, dressing up will be left strictly for conventions.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-18, 02:31   Link #127
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well.. it was somewhat tongue-in-cheek and too short an explanation. I get a little frisky when answering questions on a forum that would take about 20 seconds to Google and Wikipedia up more complete answers. Jeebus Crispy, its the INTERNET they're on and they won't do a few mouseclicks...
Old 2007-09-18, 08:25   Link #128
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Well.. it was somewhat tongue-in-cheek and too short an explanation. I get a little frisky when answering questions on a forum that would take about 20 seconds to Google and Wikipedia up more complete answers. Jeebus Crispy, its the INTERNET they're on and they won't do a few mouseclicks...
Sorry, my intention wasn't to correct you. After all, you were indeed correct (and I get just as snarky when talking about holidays, including Easter, to church-folks).

...I just really like explaining things a little too much for my own good, so I jumped on the opportunity add something.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-18, 12:02   Link #129
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
Ha..Halloween...people think cause their like 15 and up their too old...I'm 15 and I still go tick or treating..I mean seriously....A night where you can get loads of candy for free? Why wouldn't you?
Yea....Last year I had to put a costume together...cause it was last minute thing, my mom was outta town so I was home alone, wasn't planning on doing anything, then my friends came over and was like DUDE COME ON CANDY!! So I grabbed my Forehead protector and a peice of cloth put it over my face...grabbed my wooden kunai and went as a ninja and stuffs...got like 30 pounds of candy cause I went like 15 miles around my house...it was awsomes...I dunno what I'm going as this year...I was thinking of a homeless person..rip some clothes up, get a cardboard box maybe...Go get some candy...go home every so often and wait for people to come to my house...hand out like hot dogs or somethin XD..This Halloween is going to be so epicness that is shall be recoreded and put on youtube!
siya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-18, 18:41   Link #130
Minorou
Hmm...

Send a message via AIM to Minorou Send a message via MSN to Minorou
I'm going as a renaissance-era innkeeper. I'm sure no one will realize this, they'd probably just think I'm wearing strange olden clothing. My little brother, however, is going as Monty Python's Black Knight, complete with plastic broadsword and detachable arm! Both are leftover costumes from my older brother's renaissance-themed marriage reception, which was but two weeks ago.

I no longer trick-or-treat, I stopped doing so quite a while now. I now take the liberty of distributing candy at my household. Of course, I get to keep any and all candy left over, and my parents always overstock. So... I hand out my least favorite candy and keep the favorites. My brother, who's merely a year younger than me, still trick-or-treats, as most high-schoolers in this area still do. Ah, the novelty and irony of a holiday that encourages kids to take candy from strangers... 'tis a beautiful thing, isn't it?
Old 2007-09-18, 19:41   Link #131
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minorou View Post
My little brother, however, is going as Monty Python's Black Knight, complete with plastic broadsword and detachable arm!
Just want to say, I think that is AWESOME. The scene with the Black Knight is my favorite.
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-18, 19:43   Link #132
bluefire Uchiha

i'm going to be the corpse bride!
bluefire Uchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-18, 20:43   Link #133
Kazu
Flowing

I'm going to wear a very long coat and a funky hat,(not a pimp)more like a clean hobo
Old 2007-09-18, 23:02   Link #134
strung_out

Send a message via MSN to strung_out
John Wayne Gacy in his clown outfit, probably holding a bloody knife along with it.

In my opinion, too many people dress up cute/funny/sexy for Halloween, people need to bring back the scary stuff.

Spoiler for Pic:

OK so maybe I won't be wearing that during Halloween because I'll probably be studying for midterm exams :P
But for those doing stuff for Halloween, have fun!
strung_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-19, 05:34   Link #135
RagDollx

Im being forced to take my boyfriends little brother and my friends little sister trick or treating...

-.-' I was hoping for a party or something
=P
So my costume.. hmm im thinking of a cat since i already have the ears and tail sitting in my room if not i was thinking vampire...
RagDollx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-19, 15:49   Link #136
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

So... be a neko vampire
Old 2007-09-19, 17:45   Link #137
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
So... be a neko vampire
I am in agreement for that! That would be cool. XD
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 10:04   Link #138
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
So... be a neko vampire
But depending on where you live, some people just might think you're CRAZY.
Old 2007-09-20, 17:02   Link #139
Zennifa
*insert cool title here*

I'm not sure yet. :/ My friends & I always go out to some bar or club and party for halloween- it's the one time we all make sure to get together usually and go out somewhere as a big group & we all dress up (well everyone does on halloween) I found this cuteeee costume on ebay that looks like a catgirl maid type thing- it's adorable!
Zennifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-30, 13:00   Link #140
OneiChan

Send a message via MSN to OneiChan
I have a two year old daughter, so I was thinking of making some costumes from FF5. She would make the cutest little black or white mage sprite ever. I'll probably make myself a white mage costume and make her a black mage costume. Very simple stuff, since my skills with a sewing machine are not yet honed.
OneiChan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halloween