AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-09-20, 01:45   Link #1
Subaru Lover

Unhappy Making an AVI AMV with Windows Movie Maker

As i try and try to work steadily on an AMV i want to do about Subaru and Ginga, my Windows Movie Maker keeps thrashing, locking up, and going unresponsive, forcing me to control+alt+delete out of it. I can't get anything done on the film and it's really beginning to dishearten me. I have ffdshow for codecs for the AVI files as well as somethin called Haali something Splitter. Can anyone direct me in how to get WMM stabilized so i can make this AMV i so desperately want to do?
Subaru Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 03:26   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

FFDShow is simply a decoder and won't allow you to encode a video. To do that, you'd need to install the stand-alone codec separately (you can get the XviD codec here. Does FFDShow load when you're using Windows Movie Maker? I don't have much experience with it, so I'm not sure if it can use it properly. If it isn't loading FFDShow, installing the stand-alone codecs may help.

Worst case scenario, if you have a lot of free disk space, use a program like virtualdub or virtualdubmod to re-save your videos (or just the clips that you want to use) in an uncompressed format. This will potentially cause a 20-second clip to take up a gigabyte of space, but it should guarantee that Windows Movie Maker won't misbehave. In theory, you could use Virtualdub to do your music video, actually...
Old 2007-09-20, 07:13   Link #3
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Let's address more about the lockup. Tell us more about your PC. For instance, the CPU, RAM, hard disk space.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 09:38   Link #4
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
FFDShow is simply a decoder and won't allow you to encode a video.
Ahem. It can encode too, and XviD would be in its list of codecs too. From my knowledge it can encode to most formats that it can decode...

I'm not sure what interface WMM uses, if it is VfW then you should be fine with what you have (but please do not use Haali for AVI splitting). However adding Koepi's XviD build onto that would be a good idea (the link that Ledgem posted should redirect there, if not just google it out).

If you can open that video in VirtualDub, and it works fine (and WMM uses the VfW interface), M$ obviously failed again (wouldn't be surprised there, since WMP fails too and so do many other M$ apps).
Old 2007-09-20, 22:09   Link #5
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Windows Movie Maker is somewhat known to not work correctly with ffdshow and other DirectShow filters. Best idea is to install other standalone decoders for those videos and in the ffdshow options look for the Blacklist. Add the WMM exe to that blacklist so you still use ffdshow for normal playing, but just not in WMM. The Haali issue I'm not sure of (if that continues to be a problem, which it hopefully should not), WMM is mostly a shitty piece of software which doesn't work correctly with perfectly normal DirectShow filters .
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 22:57   Link #6
Subaru Lover

2.4 GHz processor, 1gig of ram, 80 gig hard drive, 40 of which has been taken up. I would like to avoid having to uncompress 20 seconds of video just to have it take up a whole gig of my hard drive. I'm just not sure what to do anymore other than go buy a decent video editing software package that actually SUPPORTS avi files.

I wanted to do a Ginga/Subaru avi set to My Immortal by Evanescence, using mainly scenes from Episodes 17 and 23 of StrikerS with i think it was somewhere between 10 and 15 where Ginga first came into the picture and started training with Section Six. I was going to use those as "flashback" type clips in between ep 17 and 23 clips. Iuno, don't have any experience with movie making or editing at all. just going into this blind as a bat.
Subaru Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-21, 00:54   Link #7
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Install the stand-alone codecs and try to avoid source video that comes in H.264 format. If you have any, you likely won't be able to use it with Windows Movie Maker - you'd have to decompress it and, to save on disk space, re-encode it to XviD or a similar format. That'll result in some quality loss, and since you'll then be re-encoding those sequences when they're in the full AMV, you'll potentially lose a fair bit of quality.

Also, follow Nicholi's instructions to reduce the likelihood of problems.