AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 24 Rating
Perfect 10 152 58.24%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 60 22.99%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 7.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 6.90%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 3.07%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.15%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-17, 05:05   Link #161
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

After another rewatch using [a.f.k.]'s release, it suddenly occured to me what was so special about Shiori's scene. Doh. I can't believe it took me this long to realise it. Shiori has always put on a smile around Yuuichi despite the difficulties she was facing when she was terminally-ill. This would be the first time she broke down and cried in front of Yuuichi. In light of this realisation, I now have a better appreciation of that scene. Before, I was kind of "meh" at the whole thing( now watch as a band of Shiori-fanboys skewer me).

To me, the most powerful scene in this episode was the symbolic one of Yuuichi awakening Ayu. Everything since the beginning of the series was building up to this ONE pivotal moment.

In Toei's version, they literally showed the scene, but it felt kinda cheesy( if poignant). The game's take on it was the "worst", in my opinion, and is one of the few moments where both anime adaptations vastly improved over the game. In the game, Ayu just recovered. No awakening scene. Oh, and definitely no wheelchair. That point bugged me to no end.

KyoAni chose to avoid the cheese and take the more subtle approach of using symbolism to represent the awakening of Ayu. This helps the viewer to focus on the emotions being conveyed, and it helps that the BGM was very appropriate for the scene. That one line by shota-Yuuichi will always be remembered by me.

"Come on. Let's go."

So short, so simple, so effective.
~~~~ ~~~~

On a lighter note, I wonder how Ayu is going to adapt to the real world. She is physically 17 now, but has the mentality of a 10-yr old. Quite a drastic difference in terms of maturity, and it reflects in her conversation with Yuuichi.

I also wonder what Ayu's father thinks of Yuuichi? I want to see his facial impression when a strapping 17-yr old strides up to him and says that he is going to help take care of Ayu now. Not to mention the whole "circus" of friends helping Yuuichi as well. It would seem like a Godsend to him as well, I suppose.
~~~~ ~~~~

Lastly, it was bugging me on where I had seen the following outfit by Mai before,

After some quick digging around in my image folders, I finally realised that it was from the Kanon(Game) Fanbook. Talk about faithfulness. Kudos to KyoAni.

ADD]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappster View Post
I don't know if you are really being serious about that but I thought it was more down to the fact that she is glad to have the choice of being able to eat her mother's latest monstrosity after what's happened. So glad in fact that she'll eat almost anything her mother puts out.
And yet in the very next scene, she declines eating the infamous jam. Family love or not, Nayuki stills values her life. I'm not saying she won't eat new jam recipes, I am just surprised by her lack of caution( and regard for her own well-being). I mean, there wasn't even a moment of hesitation.

Cheers.

Last edited by Skane; 2007-03-17 at 06:15.
Old 2007-03-17, 07:16   Link #162
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Surprisingly even though the Shiori scene was realy small, i think that it was the MOST tear jerking one. The ending was magnificent. Toei was quick and very cheesy....every thing seemed too easy in the end. But Kyoto Animation made yuichi work hard for getting Ayu back. Just realising she was on the bed was not enough, accepting the reality in the end, and gaining the strength to face his problems, was truly shown well.

One of the few harems where the Guy is such a pivotal role. The other ones is just about being nice and how he is so perfect...but here the main lead role seems so totally human...

BEAUTIFUL JOB..i have Exams starting Wednesday..but I cant help but rewatch the last episode over and over again....

I think people who have voted 9's should try watchin 23 and 24 together..maybe it will make u like it even more

PS: Mai rocks in Glasses
Old 2007-03-17, 09:50   Link #163
Kisuke06
I see...

So, how came Akiko was fine after the accident? I mean, what are the chances of one person doesn't even brake a bone after being hit by a car that badly?
Old 2007-03-17, 10:28   Link #164
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Sigh. Three unjustified gutter votes.....and the usual suspect has not even shown his hand yet.

Spoiler for my thoughts on the whole situation:
Old 2007-03-17, 10:32   Link #165
SnEptUne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaris View Post
- First problem is continuity. It is stated in episode 19 that Yuuichi is the only person who can grants Ayu's three wishes. Episode 24 presents us with a hypothetical scenario where Ayu perhaps wishes for Yuuichi to be happy. For that to happen, Shiori suggests that everybody surrounding Yuuichi would have to be alive and well too. This explains why Mai and Sayuri made it for graduation, how Shiori's illness disappeared, and how Akiko is alive and well after the accident in a very short amount of time. Timeframe indicates that enough days have passed for it to be February (which it was). So Akiko went from critical condition to walking on her two feet in a matter of days or weeks tops. These "miracles" as it was repeatedly stated could not have been done by Yuuichi. Yuuichi doesn't possess the ability to perform miracles.
How does the timeframe indicate that it is only days/weeks? It is Spring, so it is around April? When Akiko got into accident, it is early Winter (around December/January?) So it seems like months has passed since Akiko's accident. Even if it is weeks, it wasn't anything impossible. Imagines my 90 years old grandma could recover from bone fractures in weeks, and Akiko is much younger. On the other hand, why can't Yuuichi possess the ability to perform miracles? If he cannot, then perhaps an unknown entity (God?) performed the miracles for him.

Quote:
My IRC friend suggested that it was all Mai's clandestine actions pursuaded by Ayu, because Mai still had some power in her. I disproved his hypothesis. He was under the impression that in episode 16, she would regain her abilties by graduation...which allowed the happenings in episode 24 to take place. But reviewing time index 2:55 on both translations, there was nothing of the sort:

"I will be out of the hospital by spring, but I may not make it in time for graduation."

The proceeding words didn't indicate anything either. Furthermore, Ayu only met Mai twice. Although it is good enough that the two met, they had only a minimum amount of contact. First at the school, the second at the hospital (although we have no idea how long they spent talking to one another). So it seems like Ayu would not have thought of using Mai to make her wish come true to make Yuuichi happy. If they had a more intimate relationship, we would have or more importantly, SHOULD HAVE seen them together more.
Who knows? Mai may have met Ayu off screen. unknown/null != false.

Quote:
So throwing this theory out, it would have been Ayu's magic that healed everyone, which again contradicts the three wishes that Yuuichi was suppose to grant and what Shiori suggested. We're again left wondering what the third wish was and how Yuuichi would have been able to grant it. It seems to me that there was an important plot point or some important dialogue that didn't make it into the story. Because the chances of everybody being healed within days or weeks is infinitesimal. Sure, I can believe that such a coincidencial miracle can happen, because Nayuki did. But if we're made to believe it, it has to be executed well enough to make us believe that the possibility exists, and episode 24 didn't provide that for me.
Indeed, they left the third wish out for reader's imagination, but miracles does happen in real life.
Old 2007-03-17, 10:34   Link #166
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
the main problem with this ep is that all the events happened too fast...with all that has happened in the previous ep things just seemed to go back to normal without much though put into what happened in between...i mean im still pissed that shiori came back just like that...after her disappearence i was hoping for more of a dramatic entrance...but in the end she was neglected >.< tho i did love that crying scene which pushed up vote from 8 to 9 ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachi-chan View Post
So, how came Akiko was fine after the accident? I mean, what are the chances of one person doesn't even brake a bone after being hit by a car that badly?
what i thought was..."mai's power!!!" (or a giant plothole in the ground...)

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-03-17, 10:34   Link #167
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Well Put Ascaloth.

And for those guys who question the Biological logicality of the series with people showing unhurt..please listen to the dial0ogues. Do you guys watch it in Mute or something. The answers are all there. Please watch the series again
Old 2007-03-17, 10:51   Link #168
HolyCow
Oyashiro-sama

Send a message via MSN to HolyCow
I've never seen the 2002 version or played the game before, so Kanon was a generally enjoyable experience for me... Except the ending. It felt odd seeing everything resolved (Shiori, Akiko etc.) without much explanations given, so as a first-time viewer I can say that it was really confusing.

I didn't like this episode at all, I'll admit it. I would have preferred it if they ended it with Episode 23 (Nayuki's fight on! was very much appropriate for an ending IMO). I enjoyed the way they ended Shiori's arc, and seeing her back in this episode, seemingly fully recovered, just seemed to kill the mood.

I understand that this is a VN adaption after all, and they have to stick with the original game ending, but IMHO, Kanon 2006 would have been better off ending at Episode 23. As a whole, I would have graded Kanon an 8/10, but for this particular episode alone, I didn't enjoy it at all, hence why I'm grading it a 1. I may have been too harsh, but I was really disappointed seeing a show with such great potential end with such an anti-climatic ending (or at least, that's what it seems to me).

If I offended anybody with the low score, I'm sorry. It's just that I'm really disappointed by this episode as a whole.
Old 2007-03-17, 10:54   Link #169
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Sigh. Three unjustified gutter votes.....and the usual suspect has not even shown his hand yet.

Spoiler for my thoughts on the whole situation:
I don't need to ask who that suspect is, then.

As with users like HolyCow, who at least explain a little why they rate the episode so low, I guess it's a matter of personal preferences over the nature of the show. I never saw Kanon ending in tragedy nor with an overtly sad conclusion, but some do, while others vote that way because they can't seem to understand WTF is going on, at least for them.
Old 2007-03-17, 10:55   Link #170
New/Old
Old to the New

Hmm-hmm. Not to worry. Opinion is as opinion is. You were disappointed and I can understand. Or at least I can see where you're coming from. This old softie can definitely understand.

Now I'm off to think up a series review (which will most likely be dwarfed by other more talented reviewers). Heh heh.
Old 2007-03-17, 11:12   Link #171
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
what i thought was..."mai's power!!!" (or a giant plothole in the ground...)

That's the only thing about this episode that kinda bothers me. Although, if you think about it logically, if you had someone with miraculous healing powers at your disposal, would it make sense not to employ them in saving your friends' lives simply because doing so would be "cheating?"

I cried with Shiori. She's always putting on such a tough face, but then when the relief comes, she finally lets it all out. "I really didn't want to die!"
FPB is now a raging Shiori fanboy.

I also cried watching everyone take care of Ayu. That was just so sweet.

Mai's moe power just increased by three points with the addition of glasses.

Seems Nayuki's gotten over Yuuichi.

Interesting bit:
Kanon in D plays for the third time in the series in this episode. It's interesting how this was incorporated, as in the other two occurences, they play different parts of the song, but in order. The first instance is in episode one in the cafe when Yuuichi first meets Ayu. Here is playing the first bit of the song, what I'd call 'the build-up.' The second time is in episode 14 or 15 (forgot which), again at the cafe, but with Sayuri. She explains the song, and the part that playing is the 'climax,' or the middle part of the melody that everyone's familiar with. Finally, in 24, the part that's playing is the 'relief,' which is a lingering, somewhat draggy, repitition that makes up the entire second half of the song. Take the meaning of this as you will - I just thought I'd point it out.
Old 2007-03-17, 11:33   Link #172
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyCow View Post
I've never seen the 2002 version or played the game before, so Kanon was a generally enjoyable experience for me... Except the ending. It felt odd seeing everything resolved (Shiori, Akiko etc.) without much explanations given, so as a first-time viewer I can say that it was really confusing.

I didn't like this episode at all, I'll admit it. I would have preferred it if they ended it with Episode 23 (Nayuki's fight on! was very much appropriate for an ending IMO). I enjoyed the way they ended Shiori's arc, and seeing her back in this episode, seemingly fully recovered, just seemed to kill the mood.

I understand that this is a VN adaption after all, and they have to stick with the original game ending, but IMHO, Kanon 2006 would have been better off ending at Episode 23. As a whole, I would have graded Kanon an 8/10, but for this particular episode alone, I didn't enjoy it at all, hence why I'm grading it a 1. I may have been too harsh, but I was really disappointed seeing a show with such great potential end with such an anti-climatic ending (or at least, that's what it seems to me).

If I offended anybody with the low score, I'm sorry. It's just that I'm really disappointed by this episode as a whole.
Wakata. I understand.

At the very least, you have my respect for at least trying to explain the rationale behind your actions. And I do see where you're coming from. Indeed, I do recognize that this episode wasn't exactly newbie-friendly; as in, it certainly would be confusing for a first-time viewers, who was not prepared for the overall theme of Kanon as a whole. In fact, this would not be the first time that KyoAni Kanon has been less than newbie-friendly, in my opinion.

As for the content in Ep24 itself, personally I believe KyoAni has given more than enough explanation as to why everything is resolved; the fact that two months has passed (it's Springtime in Ep24, remember?), as well as the concept of miracles which has been the basis of Kanon from the beginning, is more than adequate explanation to me as to why most of the characters have shaken off their respective hurts and troubles. Yes, perhaps it would have made more of an impact had it ended like AIR.....but, it's not AIR, and personally I believe we shouldn't expect it to be such. It's Kanon, it's a "heartwarming fairytale" as opposed to AIR's "epic tragedy", and it should be treated like such. That's why I'm fairly happy with the conclusion, as it is.

Of course, I do agree with you on the part about Shiori. It would have been better had she been given a mere extra few years to live, instead of a full recovery; it would have added a "you can't have everything going the way you want it to" vibe that would have injected a greater sense of realism to the story, as a whole. This would have given the conclusion more of an impact, while avoiding the AIR "epic tragedy" route that it was not supposed to take from the beginning.

Finally, I still think your vote was still a bit......okay. I think it's still way too harsh.
But I do understand your reasoning behind it, and I can respect that.
Old 2007-03-17, 11:44   Link #173
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
One issue I have with this is that it implies that Yuuichi has supernatural powers, which has never been hinted at before.
I think it makes more sense this way. Besides, your version implies that Ayu has special powers.
Quote:
Hence why I stated that HAyu is a joint creation of CAyu and Yuuichi. HAyu gets her traits from CAyu, and also represents Yuuichi's illusion. To make things simpler, consider HAyu as having a separate mind from CAyu( HAyu being only a fragment of CAyu).
The trouble I see is that those two entities seem completely independant of each other. On the other hand, Yuuichi and HAyu are very connected to each other. Their memories seems linked. That's why I think that HAyu is completely of Yuuichi's making.
Quote:
It is also heavily implied that Ayu was rewarded with the ability to make one miracle come true, due to her faithful waiting for Yuuichi's return. Now, if what you say is true, and HAyu is solely the creation of Yuuichi, then this implication goes out of the window, because HAyu is the one who made the last wish, not CAyu. So HAyu HAS to be a real part of CAyu if the wish is to come true. After all, it is LAyu who was waiting for seven years, NOT HAyu.
We still don't know what the last wish is, and through my interpretation, it no longer matters. I don't believe in Ayu's ability to make miracles; where would that ability come from?
Quote:
Additionally, as I have already said before, the final scene between shota-Yuuichi and LAyu is largely symbolic. It is more than likely that Yuuichi was just talking to CAyu in hospital about the hairband and how he has returned back to her and how he wants her to awaken( ergo, a more subtle approach than Toei's version). Recall that it was explicitly stated in this episode that CAyu is well aware of what is going on around her, even if she just thinks that they are dreams.

Cheers.
She has two types of dreams. One where she's in the hospital, and the other where she's waiting on the bench. They clearly showed the latter.

Well, I finished downloading afk's version. Let's see if my thoughts change after watching it.
Old 2007-03-17, 11:51   Link #174
Meophist

Darn it Ascaloth, just because he gave a vote that's lower than you expect doesn't mean that you have to attack him. I mean, at least HolyCow gave reasonings for his vote.

…wait, you didn't attack him. Err… sorry about that. Kinda thought you did due to the long reply.
Old 2007-03-17, 11:53   Link #175
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
Darn it Ascaloth, just because he gave a vote that's lower than you expect doesn't mean that you have to attack him. I mean, at least HolyCow gave reasonings for his vote.

…wait, you didn't attack him. Err… sorry about that. Kinda thought you did due to the long reply.
To steal FPB's line,

"It seems that I've become notorious."

Old 2007-03-17, 11:57   Link #176
Andu

Send a message via MSN to Andu
I rated this ep a 10 because i give 10's very rarely, but i enjoyed Kanon 2006 more than most anime i've watched and felt that Kanon deserves a 10. Actually i gave my 10 before even watching, because i knew i was gonna love it anyway. After watching this ep, i have no regrets on my vote .
Oh, one regret is that its too bad you can't rate this a 11. Ok, now im gonna watch the whole series again...
Old 2007-03-17, 12:32   Link #177
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

K..a bit out of topic..but has this been noticed earlier that keropi(Nayuki's frog) had a special appearance in the true episode 14 of Suzumiya haruhi. If you guys didnt know..check out episode 9(Actually Episode 14)

ijo~
Old 2007-03-17, 12:51   Link #178
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_trance View Post
K..a bit out of topic..but has this been noticed earlier that keropi(Nayuki's frog) had a special appearance in the true episode 14 of Suzumiya haruhi. If you guys didnt know..check out episode 9(Actually Episode 14)

ijo~
Are you talking about Mikuru's frog suit?
Old 2007-03-17, 13:00   Link #179
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
To steal FPB's line,

"It seems that I've become notorious."

I'm just joking. However I'm still rather surprised at your well-reasoned and understanding post. I did expect you to go off again, and I think it's great that you can see how others met their conclusions.

We're having a positive end to a great series. I'm just glad to have the negative energy from before gone.
Old 2007-03-17, 13:00   Link #180
mezrabad

Call Kanon a 9.78.

The Shiori scene caused me to cry a single "manly" tear. I thought it was very well done and very realistic.

I didn't like Akiko just
Spoiler:
, though, admitedly they had a lot to resolve that episode.

I would've liked there to have been some astonishment over Ayu's situation after having hung out with her all winter. Perhaps, with the exception of Yuiichi and Akiko of course, they all thought she'd gotten that way only recently?

Mai in glasses ... doki-doki ... doki-doki ...
Closed Thread