Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-21, 21:04   Link #1
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

VN suggestions?

Hello everyone, I've been wondering what other visual novels everyone else has played that they would like to share. I've played the most-known visual novels like Clannad, Saya no Uta, etc. I'm pretty open with genres, it can also be English translated (most preferred) or can still be Japanese. The list below contains all the visual novels I have played/currently playing.

6/24/11 - Updated list

Spoiler for List:

Last edited by Hooves; 2011-06-24 at 08:00.
Old 2011-05-21, 22:30   Link #2
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Holy crap, you've played a lot lol.

Well the one BIG title I see missing in your list is Ever17.

There's the very popular Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!, which has 1 route translated and another about to be released (It's at 98%). It's also receiving an anime adaption this fall.

If you like Ever17 you can also check out Remember 11.

There's also Sengoku Rance, which is one of the biggest ones there are.
Old 2011-05-21, 23:33   Link #3
Ekureiru
神さま、ありがとう!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Ekureiru Send a message via MSN to Ekureiru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Holy crap, you've played a lot lol.

Well the one BIG title I see missing in your list is Ever17.

There's the very popular Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!, which has 1 route translated and another about to be released (It's at 98%). It's also receiving an anime adaption this fall.

If you like Ever17 you can also check out Remember 11.

There's also Sengoku Rance, which is one of the biggest ones there are.
Seconding the recommendation of Sengoku Rance.

A nice blend of visual novel elements, combined with strategy (turn-based).

Ekureiru - An entity commonly recognized by many as being on par with gods.
Last.fm | MyAnimeList | Pettanko Fansubs | Now with a degree in Yanderekology.
Old 2011-05-21, 23:36   Link #4
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Sengoku Rance is below Daiteikoku and above Utawaremuno on the list

But thanks for the suggestions so far, I'll pick those up once I finish the ones I'm currently playing, still taking more if anyone else has any recommendations.

Last edited by Hooves; 2011-05-21 at 23:55.
Old 2011-05-22, 01:20   Link #5
swtrooper42
Melancholic Swim Captain

That's quite an impressive list you got there.
The only ones I can recommend would be Swan Song, Brass Restoration, Crescendo, and Katawa Shoujo. They've all been translated (except for Katawa Shoujo which is English.)

Swan Song is a linear story about humans dealing with the aftermath of a world destroying disaster. Be warned, it's not a happy story. Awesome trailer
Brass Restoration is a story about a guy trying to find a new purpose in life after a horrible accident. And possibly finding love along the way.
Crescendo is about a guy wrapping up and reviewing his high school life a week before graduation. And possibly finding love with the people he's known for the last three years.
Katawa Shoujo is still only a demo (though the finished product should be down in a month or two (maybe)). It's about a guy who suddenly suffers from arrhythmia and has to attend a school for students with physical disabilities. Much better then it sounds, trust me.

I would highly recommend these.

Close Curtains, Thwart Snipers
Sameo, Paladin of Legend
Old 2011-05-22, 01:30   Link #6
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I've always wanted to play Swan Song, and Brass Restoration

Katawa Shoujo's setting sounds interesting already. Makes me all the more curious to find out how he will be able to deal with that life.
Old 2011-05-22, 03:39   Link #7
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

These titles are really hit or miss. These are written by the same scenario writer though the games are from different companies. Either you like it very much or you don't like it at all, depending on the person. Also, it is advisable that you can read a considerable amount of kanji because these are really more Japanese literature than VN:
- Itsuka Todoku Ano Sora Ni (play the PS2 version if you want to play Mememe's route or see the added scenes or just skip the pointless H scenes)
- Kitto Sumiwataru Asairo Yori mo,

Aside from the two, I'd also recommend Grisaia.
Old 2011-05-22, 04:43   Link #8
Divini
Senpai!

Ever 17 (seconded)

Play it. NOW. One of the most crazy, suspenseful, dramatic, and cryptic VN's I've ever played. If you see it through to the end you WILL NOT regret picking it up.

Also if you haven't played it, Kazoku Keikaku is pretty good. Very long, detailed, elaborate story. Has a full english translation.
Old 2011-05-22, 04:47   Link #9
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Snow Sakura, if you want some heart warming little fluffball. :3
Old 2011-05-22, 11:04   Link #10
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I am going to add another vote for Ever 17 - the plot may be a bit slow moving at times and the truly exciting stuff may take a while to get to, but the final route you unlock after completing all the others is simply amazing. This is one of the few stories that have ever caught me with my pants down and left me with my jaw hanging once the bits and pieces started coming together. Superb final route, more than making up for the arguably slow buildup.

I am also going to second the above Snow Sakura suggestion - a quite simplistic and straightforward romance, but with unexpectedly good comedy. This thing left me in stitches quite a few times while playing through it, a quite positive impression overall.

As for personal suggestions - from English ones, i don't see Eien no Aselia on your list, so you could check this one out - it seems you don't mind VNs with gameplay elements, and Aselia has plenty of turn based combat in between the story segments.

There is also the sequel of it - Seinarukana -The Spirit of Eternity Sword 2-, albeit this one doesn't have an English translation (It's a work in progress). The battle system is smoother in this one, and you can easily play it even without finishing Aselia, it won't really impact your understanding of the story as Seinarukana involves a different cast. It got me quite addicted for a while, trying to clear it over and over to unlock route specific skills for all the characters and trying to beat higher difficulty levels.

If you are in the mood for something darker with a touch of mystery and little bit of horror, you can give Reconquista a shot. It's pretty good as far as games from the genre go, and the ending was pretty satisfying overall, irregardless of the dark tunnel leading up to it.

If you want something depressing ... just finish Aiyoku no Eustia
Old 2011-05-22, 12:03   Link #11
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

No Fortune Arterial or Yoake Mae Yori Ruri Iro na? That's strange.

Let's see...Shikokku no Sharnoth, Narcissu, Yosuga no Sora, Lover Able, Flyable Heart and its fandisc, Kagetsu Tohya, F/HA, All Black-Cyc, Devils Devel Concept, I like some Light games, e.g. Soranica Ele...Amatsukaze.

Special favorites: Shikokku no Sharnoth, Subarashiki Hibi ~Furenzoku Sonzai~, Haruka Aogi Uruwashi Na, Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka.

Oh, you have to play Quartett!
Old 2011-05-22, 12:14   Link #12
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Thank you all for the suggestions (still taking more, wish to hear everyone's VN suggestions) Also just finished remembering the other VNs I forgot, so now the list is complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
These titles are really hit or miss. These are written by the same scenario writer though the games are from different companies. Either you like it very much or you don't like it at all, depending on the person. Also, it is advisable that you can read a considerable amount of kanji because these are really more Japanese literature than VN:
- Itsuka Todoku Ano Sora Ni (play the PS2 version if you want to play Mememe's route or see the added scenes or just skip the pointless H scenes)
- Kitto Sumiwataru Asairo Yori mo,

Aside from the two, I'd also recommend Grisaia.
Ooh! A game from Lump of Sugar I've always loved playing VNs from that company after playing Nursery Rhyme and Hello, Good-Bye (Oh I should add those to my list o.o)

After looking up Kitto Sumiwataru Asairo Yori mo it seems to have an interesting element around friendship that reminds me of Family Project's element around family.

Oh no! After reading up Grisaia, it *seems* to have that element where you as the protagonist help the girls at an academy.. I've always been a sucker for those types of games...

I've always liked to hear some Kanji puns in awhile, and Grisaia is defiantly sparking my interest, thanks erneiz_hyde
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divini View Post
Ever 17 (seconded)

Play it. NOW. One of the most crazy, suspenseful, dramatic, and cryptic VN's I've ever played. If you see it through to the end you WILL NOT regret picking it up.

Also if you haven't played it, Kazoku Keikaku is pretty good. Very long, detailed, elaborate story. Has a full english translation.
Ever 17 seems to have such a sparkling reputation about it doesn't it Also if I remember right Kazoku Keikaku's english translated name was (Family Project) wasnt it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
Snow Sakura, if you want some heart warming little fluffball. :3
I've always wanted to play Snow Sakura, but didn't know after reading some strange reviews about it from the past but I'll defiantly give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I am going to add another vote for Ever 17 - the plot may be a bit slow moving at times and the truly exciting stuff may take a while to get to, but the final route you unlock after completing all the others is simply amazing. This is one of the few stories that have ever caught me with my pants down and left me with my jaw hanging once the bits and pieces started coming together. Superb final route, more than making up for the arguably slow buildup.

I am also going to second the above Snow Sakura suggestion - a quite simplistic and straightforward romance, but with unexpectedly good comedy. This thing left me in stitches quite a few times while playing through it, a quite positive impression overall.

As for personal suggestions - from English ones, i don't see Eien no Aselia on your list, so you could check this one out - it seems you don't mind VNs with gameplay elements, and Aselia has plenty of turn based combat in between the story segments.

There is also the sequel of it - Seinarukana -The Spirit of Eternity Sword 2-, albeit this one doesn't have an English translation (It's a work in progress). The battle system is smoother in this one, and you can easily play it even without finishing Aselia, it won't really impact your understanding of the story as Seinarukana involves a different cast. It got me quite addicted for a while, trying to clear it over and over to unlock route specific skills for all the characters and trying to beat higher difficulty levels.

If you are in the mood for something darker with a touch of mystery and little bit of horror, you can give Reconquista a shot. It's pretty good as far as games from the genre go, and the ending was pretty satisfying overall, irregardless of the dark tunnel leading up to it.

If you want something depressing ... just finish Aiyoku no Eustia
Ever 17 wins again and I've always wanted to go through a calming VN with good comedy like Snow Sakura after playing some really disturbing VNs like Saya no Uta (QQ)

VNs with gameplay elements are always a + for me I've heard Eien no Aselia's age limit was reduced to 12+ and feared that the english translation for it probably cut out too much that it would turn out bad overall. But that's probably being too judgemental for a VN I haven't tried yet, and I especially loved Little Busters. The expansion is also catching my interest.

Reconquista.. That Spanish word for "Conquest" alone is interesting o.o (although that's probably too straight-forward) I'll give it a shot!

I don't like the on Aiyoku no Esutia o.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
No Fortune Arterial or Yoake Mae Yori Ruri Iro na? That's strange.

Let's see...Shikokku no Sharnoth, Narcissu, Yosuga no Sora, Lover Able, Flyable Heart and its fandisc, Kagetsu Tohya, F/HA, All Black-Cyc, Devils Devel Concept, I like some Light games, e.g. Soranica Ele...Amatsukaze.

Special favorites: Shikokku no Sharnoth, Subarashiki Hibi ~Furenzoku Sonzai~, Haruka Aogi Uruwashi Na, Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka.

Oh, you have to play Quartett!
Well I've been meaning to play Fortune Arterial.... Especially after watching the anime.. But times have been unpleasant o.o and after looking up Yoake Mae Yori Ruri Iro na and with the sudden lunar princess coming to your house sounds all too familiar with To Love-Ru

That's quite alot of suggestions YoakeNoHikari.... You certainly did stock up my list

I heard Quartett got an anime adapation and have been meaning to play it.

Last edited by Hooves; 2011-05-22 at 12:36.
Old 2011-05-22, 12:32   Link #13
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

If you want Kanji puns, go with Shumon Yuu works, such as Itsuka Todoku Ano Sora Ni.

One VN that I've been watching out for is the one by that new company, Mephisto.
Old 2011-05-22, 12:49   Link #14
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Fortune Arterial (yeah, shameless plug) is definitely a very worthwhile title, a good pick if you happen to free out the time for it. The anime did it no justice at all and murdered the storyline, i won't ever forgive them for it

Regarding Aselia, you won't be losing out much despite the "all ages" nature of the translation available. Besides the H scenes, what was removed was the "dark route" ... which is basically the protagonist becoming some tentacle rape monster and having his way with the girls, the end. No, not kidding. Trust me when i say you won't be losing anything of value by not having this accessible.
Old 2011-05-22, 13:14   Link #15
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
If you want Kanji puns, go with Shumon Yuu works, such as Itsuka Todoku Ano Sora Ni.

One VN that I've been watching out for is the one by that new company, Mephisto.
Never heard of Mephisto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Fortune Arterial (yeah, shameless plug) is definitely a very worthwhile title, a good pick if you happen to free out the time for it. The anime did it no justice at all and murdered the storyline, i won't ever forgive them for it

Regarding Aselia, you won't be losing out much despite the "all ages" nature of the translation available. Besides the H scenes, what was removed was the "dark route" ... which is basically the protagonist becoming some tentacle rape monster and having his way with the girls, the end. No, not kidding. Trust me when i say you won't be losing anything of value by not having this accessible.
I've been hearing that the Animation for Fortune Arterial completely destroyed the elements of the VN and ever since then, have been interested to try it out.

That's all!? I've been worrying for nothing.. But that dark route reminds me all too well of Hitomi ~My Stepsister~ Where you as a brother can violently have your way with your stepsister with no shame, making her do all sorts of shameful things to your own pleasure..
Spoiler for spoiler for VN?:
Old 2011-05-22, 13:23   Link #16
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I once tried reading through Hitomi some years ago ...suffice to say, it didn't last and i dropped the thing out of disgust. Taught me to do a bit more research on the stuff i am getting in to i guess, never going to play through something with that type of protagonist (antagonist? ). Same reason i never lasted with Rance, despite the gameplay being decent - Rance himself was too much of a bastard i rather wanted defeated than victorious
Old 2011-05-22, 13:34   Link #17
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Daiteikoku has Rance as an antagonist that you can blast away
Old 2011-05-22, 17:00   Link #18
Bane Rieko
Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to Bane Rieko
My list would be longer had you not already had most of them already and others not suggested them themselves. XD

The only other games I can really suggest are:

The Higurashi no Naku Koro ni games, since you already have Umineko listed it would be great to see what he started with. If you don't like the artwork, there are patches for the PS2 graphics, but I suggest playing with the originals as they add to the feel (though you probably already know this XD)

Animamundi: Dark Alchemist has a very creepy and disturbing, but GREAT story! You might want the decensor patch though, it's very easy to find. It's very gothic horror in a traditional sense, but also modern horror and just amazing.

Kana: Little Sister is on part with Clannad and Air in terms of heart wrenching moments and sweetness, but there is an incestual theme so be careful.

Kara no Shoujo is coming out in English soon, and while I have not played it I have heard great things about it and I plan to get it myself.
Old 2011-05-22, 18:32   Link #19
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
Definitely agree with above and would recommend Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai! as well. It's a really well done and enjoyable ride. The character interactions are top notch.
Old 2011-05-22, 21:43   Link #20
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane Rieko View Post
My list would be longer had you not already had most of them already and others not suggested them themselves. XD

The only other games I can really suggest are:

The Higurashi no Naku Koro ni games, since you already have Umineko listed it would be great to see what he started with. If you don't like the artwork, there are patches for the PS2 graphics, but I suggest playing with the originals as they add to the feel (though you probably already know this XD)

Animamundi: Dark Alchemist has a very creepy and disturbing, but GREAT story! You might want the decensor patch though, it's very easy to find. It's very gothic horror in a traditional sense, but also modern horror and just amazing.

Kana: Little Sister is on part with Clannad and Air in terms of heart wrenching moments and sweetness, but there is an incestual theme so be careful.

Kara no Shoujo is coming out in English soon, and while I have not played it I have heard great things about it and I plan to get it myself.
Now that I think about it... I completely forgot about Higurashi!!!!!! Waaah! I must finish it quickly!

I saw Dark Alchemist while browsing around vndb and saw that Timed Choices which always makes VNs intense (especially after playing Moero Downhill Night (oh no were gonna crash!)) But the other elements about the game concerning possible mini-games (from the pictures I saw) are always fun. I also like creepy and disturbing storylines o.o

Kana: Little Sister involves the protagonist with his little sister being hospitalized right? I've been meaning to play that since it had the Key feel to it.

Kara no Shoujo is a detective VN right? Good thing G-Senjou no Maou got me hooked up on detective/mysteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Cloud View Post
Definitely agree with above and would recommend Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai! as well. It's a really well done and enjoyable ride. The character interactions are top notch.
I planned on waiting till it was fully translated, but if so many suggest it I will do the same thing I'm doing with Little Busters and keep downloading the latest patches for each heroines route.
Closed Thread