Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-18, 09:30   Link #21
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
1) IMO Ken Narita or Jouji Nakata would be good choices.
I'll put my vote in for Jouji. I think he's got that edge that Saitou's voice needs.

Quote:
3) I doubt it. If it's a complete reboot of the series and not just Jinchu I think I wouldn't mind too much, as it'd help make the series feel fresher, but if it is just Jinchu I'd definitely want them to stick to the originals. The new designs were pretty interesting and I did like a few of them better, but overall the classic look is still where it's at.
I more or less agree, but with the caveat that whatever this new anime turns out to be they'll want it to be as appealing now as the original series was back then. The original series is vintage 90's anime style, especially the character designs. Watsuki's newer designs still maintain the personalities of the characters while updating their looks for more current aesthetics (without delving into moe, thank goodness.) Though admittedly some of them are kinda silly. Hiko in a suit?

If nothing else, I would love for Kaoru to get a full overhaul in actress and appearance. Her newer design is far and away better and gives her a higher degree of similarity in appearance to Tomoe, which in turn would give her relationship with Kenshin an even deeper twist.
DJLowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 09:43   Link #22
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Some designs are okay, but some are just whack and seems more like Watsuki on crack and drawing whatever he pleases for the heck of it.

Kenshin's made sense, he looks the same (nevermind the longer scar for a moment), but more equipped like a vagabond traveler. Kaoru's more... feminine, but it's a sensible look. Misao looks alright, personally. Saito, in my opinion looks better redesigned since he actually looks like a wolf of an old age... and sexier in an old man way.

I'm kinda torn on Soujiro... Raidou!Soujiro is just ... but... I dunno.

Others... are just... lol. Like Shishio's armor. Or Sanosuke. And with Kamatari, he was just being a massive troll with the Valkyrie-Blade homage. Aoshi Mk.II was just him being plain lazy and recycling his Asuschit from Embalming.

Personally, I hope there's a mix of both into play here. Some things kept the same, but some things a little bit changed.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 09:52   Link #23
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

If I remembered, Kaoru's VA was an idol actress, so I take it that she got the role for something other than her voicing talents. Talent-wise, I wouldn't mind Kawasumi Ayako.

Narita and Nakata are good choices for Saitou. I wouldn't mind Morikawa Toshiyuki, though.
Old 2011-04-18, 09:53   Link #24
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

the pic broken can someone re uploaded it

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 09:53   Link #25
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

can someone post a comparison between the old and new designs?
Old 2011-04-18, 10:05   Link #26
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Some random thoughts...
1) Heroes who don't want to kill their enemies are very hard to like in this decade.
2) The last arc had crazy superpowers that felt like out of place.
3) Brotherhood, yes. Kai, no.
4) The homages to other anime will make a joke out of everything.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 10:06   Link #27
Westlo
Lets be reality

Taku Iwasaki better be scoring this if it's a reboot.

Also Say No to DEEN!
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 10:07   Link #28
Kouvley

*checks date to make sure I'm not in some alternate dimension where it's still April 1st*

Fantastic news!

Not going to jump for joy just yet until more details surface though, at the very least I'm expecting the Jinchu arc to be animated.

Slam Dunk next please? Then my 90s anime remake/continuation wishlist would be complete.
Kouvley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 10:10   Link #29
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
the pic broken can someone re uploaded it
nevermind found mine

Old 2011-04-18, 10:25   Link #30
Sage Shinigami

Send a message via AIM to Sage Shinigami Send a message via Yahoo to Sage Shinigami
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Some random thoughts...
1) Heroes who don't want to kill their enemies are very hard to find in this decade.

Fixed, then bolded parts QFT. Don't play with me Japan. Brotherhood this ish, and let's get it right this time. I wanna see Kenshin smack Enishi around through the sheer power of heroic awesomeness.
Sage Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 10:29   Link #31
Vicious108

For anyone who hasn't seen the new designs, which may or may not be used in this new anime:

http://the-oro.com/kk_lay.php?x=multi/zanz

Some are pretty good (Kamatari would be an even greater trap), others are just WTF. I mean the hell is up with Enishi's arm? And how will Shishio escape Saito's surprise attack with his secret metal headband no longer being a secret? And Watsuki actually turning Gein into a bishounen like the female fans had anticipated in the original (and were disappointed when he turned out to be the exact opposite) is hilarious.

Quote:
Some random thoughts...
1) Heroes who don't want to kill their enemies are very hard to like in this decade.
1) No, they're not. Ed and Al from Fullmetal Alchemist, for example, say hi. A new Trigun movie came out just last year too.
2) No, it didn't. The previous arcs had a guy spitting fire out of his mouth by storing gasoline in his stomach, a guy who flew by throwing bombs around to propel his fake wings into the air and the same invulnerable puppet that was in the last arc. Nothing in Jinchu requires that much more suspension of disbelief than what came before.
3) Well duh.
4) What...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post

Also Say No to DEEN!
As much as I love Tsuiokuhen's soundtrack, his music doesn't fit the original series, much less violent and depressing, nearly as well. I'd rather Asakura Noriyuki returned.

And yes, anything but DEEN please. Their terribad filler getting the first anime cancelled was enough.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 10:43   Link #32
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

So which studio do we want doing this? Besides DEEN, I am guessing we do not want to see this turn into a GONZO or Shaft title. I know I wouldn't.

Madhouse might be a good fit if they want to put more emphasis on the fighting and violence.

J.C. Staff might work as well. They have ample experience with this type of series (ie. To Aru Majutsu no Index / To Aru Kagaku no Railgun).

Or maybe, just maybe, Bones. Since we've all been dropping the FMA: Brotherhood note here, they may just be as close to a perfect fit for RK as we're likely to find.
DJLowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 10:46   Link #33
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

First it happened with Fullmetal Alchemist, and now there's a chance it could with Kenshin. Fingers are crossed, because that would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
If it was along the lines of his Katanagatari score, then yes i agree.
Old 2011-04-18, 11:21   Link #34
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

and for the love of god, please no 7 year old voice for kenshin XD
Old 2011-04-18, 11:23   Link #35
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
As much as I love Tsuiokuhen's soundtrack, his music doesn't fit the original series, much less violent and depressing, nearly as well. I'd rather Asakura Noriyuki returned.

And yes, anything but DEEN please. Their terribad filler getting the first anime cancelled was enough.
I fully agree regarding Asakura, although he hasn't done anything remarkable as of late. Then again, maybe coming back to something with such a strong meaning as Kenshin would get the best out of him.

As for the DEEN thing, I'd say there's a big chance they will be associated with this, seeing as how they apparently worked on the animation for the PSP fighter. And while we're at it, I think people should give DEEN a bit more credit where Kenshin is concerned. Yes, the fillers were bad. And yes, their track record as of late hasn't been very good. However, the director for the original Kenshin series never changed, it was always Furuhashi, and he's the one responsible for all the goods and bads from every Kenshin series out there. In the end, what I mean is that Tsuiokuhen - which was amazing - had DEEN behind it, so with the right people it can definitely work. And since this is Rurouni Kenshin, I doubt people of Chiaki Kon's caliber would even be able to get CLOSE to it. More so than the studio, what usually will make or break a series is the source material and the people who are hired to work on the show.

Last edited by Blue-kun; 2011-04-18 at 11:33.
Blue-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 11:34   Link #36
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
How about a BONES colaboration with KyoAni and Sunrise with some aid from Aniplex?

... Nah, DEEN it is.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 11:39   Link #37
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I'd be fine with BONES doing it, or even Sunrise for that matter. Fingers crossed for Production IG though.
Old 2011-04-18, 11:41   Link #38
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

well bones technically nearly impossible because they already animate 4

no 6, towa kuon, fullmetal alchemist movie, gosick (is it still running?). is that all?

Old 2011-04-18, 12:00   Link #39
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I didn't even get past the thread title before I fainted dead away.

My God, this is beyond huge for me - other than a continuation of the "Moribito" franchise there's no announcement that could mean more to me, and none I've waited for longer. The importance of RK to my anime fandom is almost beyond description - this series and this character is the very heart and soul of who I am as a fan. I knew there was a reason I decided to re-watch S1-2 this spring! I was hoping the 15th anniversary would spawn something like this...

A given - Mayo Suzukaze-done must be back as Himura. No reason to think she won't, but she damn well better be. I'm quite happy with all the surviving originals for the rest of the core cast - Kaoru, Yahiko, Sano, etc. - though it's been so long that I'm sure we'll see some changes. Any thoughts for Enishi?

My hope for this would be a "Brotherhood" type of deal - a condensed retelling of the first two seasons, with a full adaptation of the Jinchu Arc. I think it's unlikely we'd see only the Jinchu animated at this point - though Inuyasha went that route, they hadn't been gone nearly as long. I sincerely hope whatever route they take, Jinchu gets two cours - it needs 26 episodes to be done right.

As for studios, my fanboy dreams cry out for Production I.G. I'd be happy with KyoAni, Madhouse or A-1, even Bones. Please not someone like SHAFT who wants to "modernize" or put their own stamp on the material. RK is anime royalty - this needs to be a faithful and respectful adaptation. I guess it's a given that GALLOP wouldn't be involved at this point, as they barely seem to exist as a production house and weren't even behind S3. No reason beyond pure speculation to think DEEN wouldn't be the main studio - they seem to have retained the rights and they've been involved in all the recent side projects. That doesn't thrill me, but DEEN can do good work - they have some excellent series in their folio. Just stick to the source material here and you'll be fine. Also assumed is that Kazuhiro Fuzukhashi will be back as director. As he was responsible for the good (S1) great (Kyoto) and terrible (S3) it seems he's likely as good as the material he has to work with.

I wrote a little piece a few weeks ago about why RK is the greatest shounen ever, speculating on a 4th season as well. Guess the timing was good, after all...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 12:03   Link #40
AnymX

Quote:
How about a BONES colaboration with KyoAni and Sunrise with some aid from Aniplex?

... Nah, DEEN it is.
Aniplex is production, distribution company of Rurouni Kenshin anime. They also are one of copyright owners together with Fuji TV and Shueisha. So they will definitely be involved. Rurouni Kenshins 15th Anniversary website is lunched by them.

Also Tokyo Mx started rebroadcasting Rurouni Kenshin Tv anime on April 7 so I doubt that this will be complete remake.

Tags
action, historical, shounen