AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 98 56.32%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 46 26.44%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 11.49%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 1.15%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 1.72%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.15%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.57%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.15%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-18, 22:06   Link #321
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
That was me.

This shot is taken somewhere in the range of several seconds before the kiss. Note the positions of Sheryl and Alto in the background and you'll see that Bobby completely blocks the line of sight towards Ranka. They're also really far away; so much so that you can't even make out their features.

I think that the mistake comes from the fact that there's been so much focus on Ranka's perspective, that we expect almost anything that happens in the story to take place for her specific benefit. Sometimes things simply happen for the sake of other characters, too.
So Ranka not only has Super X-Ray vision, but it's magnified too? Dang she's got what it takes to surpass Mickel in the sniper category.
Old 2008-06-19, 01:01   Link #322
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
So Ranka not only has Super X-Ray vision, but it's magnified too? Dang she's got what it takes to surpass Mickel in the sniper category.
I think she saw the kiss scene after a while, when she moved her head a little...
Old 2008-06-19, 01:39   Link #323
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife
If Kawamori made Ranka miraculously see through Bobby, what's stopping him from making Sheryl see through him as well? I think Sheryl's sudden serious expression when Ranka walked towards the director can suggest that she's aware. Not only that, she also was watching Ranka when she walked out on her and Luca after hearing about Alto. Sheryl seems to promote the actors within Alto and Ranka in this episode.
Old 2008-06-19, 03:15   Link #324
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
That was me.

Clearly Sheryl's kiss was to inspire Bobby's back to take up the role of Mao Nome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
If Kawamori made Ranka miraculously see through Bobby, what's stopping him from making Sheryl see through him as well? I think Sheryl's sudden serious expression when Ranka walked towards the director can suggest that she's aware. Not only that, she also was watching Ranka when she walked out on her and Luca after hearing about Alto. Sheryl seems to promote the actors within Alto and Ranka in this episode.
Her sudden serious expression is because she put two and two together (oh I just kissed Alto and she got up... hmmmm) not because inside her head she was doing a Light Yagami and going JUST AS PLANNED!!! JUST AS PLANNED!!! JUST AS PLANNED!!! JUST AS PLANNED!!! JUST AS PLANNED!!!
Old 2008-06-19, 03:23   Link #325
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I think Ranka did see the kiss, and that was what made her think "I understand Mao, I can take the role". From that, I deduce that the thing with Bobby hiding it was just a problem of perspective, and that not only could she see them, but Sheryl could see Ranka.

Note, that doesn't meant Sheryl knew Ranka was watching. Just that it's possible.
Old 2008-06-19, 03:48   Link #326
Wesley84

Ranka hadn't even entered Sheryl's mind when she moved to kiss Alto. In other words, whether she knew Ranka was watching or not didn't matter to her one way or another. What mattered was kissing Alto for whatever reason.
Old 2008-06-19, 03:54   Link #327
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I think Ranka did see the kiss
We all know this and I realize I worded my post badly from the page before this in regards to this. I find the idea that Sheryl kissed Alto for Ranka to be... well to be blunt... stupid. The distance between them, Ranka looking out to sea (except for when Sheryl kissed Alto of course ), the prior teasing about kissing before the role of Mao was up for grabs combined with the growing attraction between Sheryl and Alto... all that makes the kiss for Ranka's sake line of thought seem stupid.. IMO!
Old 2008-06-19, 04:03   Link #328
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It's not like they needed telescopes to see each other, so distance isn't an issue. And Ranka was watching in their direction before Sheryl really closed in on Alto, so the "looking at the ocean" thing is also moot.

I don't think it's particularly likely either, but it's far from impossible that Sheryl knew Ranka would see it.
Old 2008-06-19, 04:03   Link #329
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
We all know this and I realize I worded my post badly from the page before this in regards to this. I find the idea that Sheryl kissed Alto for Ranka to be... well to be blunt... stupid. The distance between them, Ranka looking out to sea (except for when Sheryl kissed Alto of course ), the prior teasing about kissing before the role of Mao was up for grabs combined with the growing attraction between Sheryl and Alto... all that makes the kiss for Ranka's sake line of thought seem stupid.. IMO!
More than that, it was Sheryl's demeanor. Her full attention seemed to be on Alto. There was no glance in Ranka's direction, before, during, or after the kiss like you'd expect if Sheryl had even considered Ranka's response.
Old 2008-06-19, 23:58   Link #330
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Well technically, the kiss was for Ranka's sake plotwise, but the issue with the possibility of Sheryl being aware of Ranka is not entirely stupid. Watch episode 11.
Old 2008-06-20, 08:57   Link #331
BleachOD
Banned

This episode made me discover which ship I am getting on.

SS Alto X Ranka..

Sorry fanboys...Sheryl is a malicious bitch. That kiss was not only to distract Alto but she also did it for Ranka's benefit knowing how she feels about Alto. I officially dislike her...

She's also needy and lacks self esteem

I really think the loli wins this time

Yes Ranka saw that kiss...it's what made her decide to do it. Her kiss with Alto was in the script but look at his reaction and the closes-up. And he agreed to do it...He also showed that he is aware of Ranka's feelings for him and the way he was over the kiss...Shows she is on his mind too.

Ep 11 really shows it...

I liked this episode but it really made me see Sheryl in different light...She's a terrible person.
Old 2008-06-20, 09:10   Link #332
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachOD View Post
This episode made me discover which ship I am getting on.

SS Alto X Ranka..
Huh, I thought you already made your decision in the early episodes. I remembered your comment because I recognized your name from the IchiRuki fandom.

Quote:
She's also needy and lacks self esteem
Not really... O_O

Quote:
Her kiss with Alto was in the script but look at his reaction and the closes-up. And he agreed to do it...He also showed that he is aware of Ranka's feelings for him and the way he was over the kiss...Shows she is on his mind too.
The scene was completely identical to the kiss scene in Macross Zero, starting from the way Ranka touches Alto.

Quote:
I liked this episode but it really made me see Sheryl in different light...She's a terrible person.
I really, really love you for your IchixRuki posts and everything, and I agree with mostly your interpretations, but I really have to encourage you to watch the episode all over again without getting ready for the Sheryl hate.

Last edited by cheesie; 2008-06-20 at 09:29.
Old 2008-06-20, 09:57   Link #333
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Don't bother about it. There's a lot of pent up frustration in the air, and I suspect that it will only start to clear once Sheryl becomes really sick and Ranka grabs the upper hand. Unfortunately, people come to believe in the things that they repeatedly say, even out of anger. But that sort of thing is inevitable whenever love triangles are concerned.

It may hurt a bit, but just tough it out. That's the Sheryl Nome way.
Old 2008-06-20, 09:57   Link #334
BleachOD
Banned

no..I didn't...I preferred Alto and Ranka but I liked Sheryl and Alto too

until 10...that decided it for me...

What is it with me and IchiRuki?

They are the only couple I invested that much in...now I am fired up about this one

I understand it (About movie Kiss)...but I think they are purposely misleading you into thinking that Ranka is Minmei...

Alto's reaction to the situation

However Sheryl acts like Minmei and she is really the insecure needy one

I did watch that episode many times...Sheryl is not a nice person imo. I don't hate her yet...I just dislike her. That could change...Since I started out liking her..

You love me? Thanks...

Since you can look past my bias and read my post...When the kid goes to sleep I will explain why I feel this way...

there is a vicious double standard...I am not bitter or angry..but it seems the Sheryl defenders are

I haven't spewed half the hate on her I could...I was nice
Old 2008-06-20, 10:07   Link #335
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
no..I didn't...I preferred Alto and Ranka but I liked Sheryl and Alto too

until 10...that decided it for me...

What is it with me and IchiRuki?

They are the only couple I invested that much in...now I am fired up about this one

I understand it (About movie Kiss)...but I think they are purposely misleading you into thinking that Ranka is Minmei...

Alto's reaction to the situation

I did watch that episode many times...Sheryl is not a nice person imo. I don't hate her yet...I just dislike her. That could change...Since I started out liking her..

You love me? Thanks...

Since you can look past my bias and read my post...When the kid goes to sleep I will explain why I feel this way...

there is a vicious double standard...I am not bitter or angry..but it seems the Sheryl defenders are

I completely disagree with you on your posts here. I don't think Sheryl is a bitch at all. Maybe because, as an adult I understand her better than a loli-sister.

Not surprising though that I would be disagreeing with you, as I was against the IchxRuki pairing in Bleach as well. Just differences in what we like.
Old 2008-06-20, 10:11   Link #336
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Neither Ranka nor Sheryl is Minmay.

Quote:
Ouch. And here I thought that you were going all out.

But go ahead and elaborate on your feelings when you get the chance. Perhaps we can still reconcile you with Sheryl, yet.
Old 2008-06-20, 10:12   Link #337
BleachOD
Banned

^You've obviously never seen my sig requests. My hime hate is as famous as my Ichigo and IchiRuki fandom

I take character hate to a whole new level
"Don't play with your food"

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I completely disagree with you on your posts here. I don't think Sheryl is a bitch at all. Maybe because, as an adult I understand her better than a loli-sister.

Not surprising though that I would be disagreeing with you, as I was against the IchxRuki pairing in Bleach as well. Just differences in what we like.
That's your prerogative...

You either agree or you don't

Let's call time out. Let me tell you why...then jump on me.

But I can't now..
Old 2008-06-20, 10:18   Link #338
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Minmei is Minmei, Ranka is Ranka. I have no doubt that Ranka is based on Minmei, starting from her Chinese name, to her job in the Chinese restaurant, and the little girl with big dreams who eventually made it up to stardom, and even this manga cover of Ranka as Minmei and Sheryl as Hayase, the love interest. The reason why people link Ranka to Minmei is all that, and, because by the time Minmei started her race, Hayase Misa was already close to the finish line.

Not saying that's the case here, but hey, look at SDF:Macross (or an even better example, Do You Remember Love.) I'll use DYRL as it's a different portrayal of Minmei, anyway... Minmei there was a precious, sweet girl who no doubt got the end of the stick. Until now, I'm still aching over the heartbreaking scene of Minmei's happy look as Hikaru walks over to her after he chose Misa.

It shows Kawamori is not afraid to leave a heroine sympathetic and let her stay that way all the way to the end in romance, but a winner in plot. Both women lost in one area, and gained in the other. It looks like they're setting Ranka and Sheryl up for those roles too.

But Ranka is not Minmei.

Quote:
Both girls have a bit of Minmei in them. (But wasn't there a comment about Ranka being the Minmei-type idol, and Sheryl the Basara-type?) However, of the two girls in MF, Sheryl definitely has a lot more in common with Hayase Misa.

Edit: Hmmm, think of Ranka as Orihime. ( Yes, I know ur gonna kill me on this one.) But the two girls' positions right now are similar in that both of them are jealous of the closeness the other women shared with the heroes. The series is highlighting the distance between Ranka and Alto, so it's important that they touch on Ranka's insecurity and unsettled feelings.

Quote:
You love me? Thanks...
Yes, I do.

Last edited by cheesie; 2008-06-20 at 10:35.
Old 2008-06-20, 16:37   Link #339
Westlo
Lets be reality

BleachOD you make me glad that I'm a Sheryl fan.
Old 2008-06-20, 18:27   Link #340
herbert

I'm late to party. It ends again someone summed the whole situation up nicely for me.

I agree with Westlo. I feel so glad and even grateful that I'm a Sheryl fan.