AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-09-22, 12:51   Link #421
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Madarame wasn't passionate about his job, but I never got the impression he was suffering.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-22, 12:53   Link #422
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Madarame wasn't passionate about his job, but I never got the impression he was suffering.
Well... not any more than the next guy.

Anytime I talk about jobs with my friends usually all that they do is complaining about something related to it.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-22, 13:32   Link #423
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Well... not any more than the next guy.

Anytime I talk about jobs with my friends usually all that they do is complaining about something related to it.
There were several scenes throughout the season where he was looking depressed after work. Also the only times he is shown excited and energetic about anything was when with other club members. And let's not forget that Madarame didn't enjoy drinking, when at university, which became his primary joy afterwards. He had to stop all his hobbies, stop hanging out with his friends, and so on... I say he was depicted very sad, if not depressed, until Sue brought the trap into his daily life... which makes me wander, did she do it for Hato or Madarame?

Oh! and since I rewatched the old Genshiken episodes yesterday, I must remind everyone, that apart from the fact that Madarame is a 2D-lolicon, Sue was the only person that diverted his attention away from Saki in 3D.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-22, 13:35   Link #424
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
There were several scenes throughout the season where he was looking depressed after work.
But is it really the work itself that made him depressed? Or is it the fact that his life became kinda empty after losing the club and Saki?

Old 2013-09-22, 13:38   Link #425
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Does someone remember when that happens exactly?
Episode 3, near the end, after Madamare falls asleep and Hato is still in the room.
Old 2013-09-22, 13:43   Link #426
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
But is it really the work itself that made him depressed? Or is it the fact that his life became kinda empty after losing the club and Saki?
Empty because of his work. Take Kousaka for example, who works more, but is enjoying his job, Sasahara siblings too. Kugayama on the other hand had the same problems with Madarame. They chose jobs that were totally incompatible with their lifestyle, because they were socially convenient and now suffer the consequences of their choice, some people can compromise (like Kugayama), while others don't (like Madarame) and try to correct their mistakes.
Old 2013-09-22, 15:57   Link #427
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Indeed. It kinda sucks that we have to grow up and start paying bills and stuff, but that's life.

Quote:
Empty because of his work. Take Kousaka for example, who works more, but is enjoying his job, Sasahara siblings too. Kugayama on the other hand had the same problems with Madarame. They chose jobs that were totally incompatible with their lifestyle, because they were socially convenient and now suffer the consequences of their choice, some people can compromise (like Kugayama), while others don't (like Madarame) and try to correct their mistakes.
Not everyone can have a job they love. Most people don't. They have a job they put up with. Madarame's wasn't even bad, really. Close to his home, not physically arduous or even particularly stressful.

And Madarame isn't pursuing a dream. He's unemployed, and not looking for a job. That's not sustainable unless, again, he's a trust fund baby. In which case, why did he work in the first place?
Old 2013-09-22, 16:04   Link #428
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Empty because of his work.
Perhaps. I'm not really sure that's the reason, and I'm not really convinced that he is any more happy now.

Quote:
And Madarame isn't pursuing a dream. He's unemployed, and not looking for a job. That's not sustainable unless, again, he's a trust fund baby. In which case, why did he work in the first place?
Because that's what society expected from him.
Then again I remember from the previous season that the reason Madarame is so skinny is because he spends everything on his hobbies and cuts on his food.

At the very least he doesn't swim in gold. I wonder if his family will be fine with his decision now. They might cut the funds.

Old 2013-09-22, 16:30   Link #429
Tenzen12

He looks more happy to me. Sometimes one need The change. Of course he will need find himself job soon or later, but I don't see problem just take break from everything once in awhile.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-22, 16:36   Link #430
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
He looks more happy to me.
Of course he does. He's free from the daily grind. Just wait till he runs out of money, though...

Quote:
Sometimes one need The change. Of course he will need find himself job soon or later, but I don't see problem just take break from everything once in awhile.
Because it's not always easy to get a job. And he'll have to compete with guys who don't quit whenever they get heartbroken. It wasn't even a messy divorce. It was just him almost voicing his one-sided crush. When his next prospective employers ask the reason for the blank in his job history, I hope he can lie convincingly.
Old 2013-09-22, 16:41   Link #431
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Everything is looks great. The proposal was awesome.

My problem is still Hato, Quit blushing dammit!!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-22, 16:54   Link #432
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

See Madarame's decision to quit in the eyes of a Japanese society glasses and leave the highly western freedom values on the door a bit. In Japan, specifically in the whole salaryman subculture, they value company loyalty very VERY VERY highly. Having a history of quitting jobs would make it harder for Madarame to find a company job again and would probably have no choice but to work a bunch of part-time jobs. It's been hinted on with Ohno's predicament, but that period where college students search for jobs in their last year is a very serious and ritualized matter in Japan and it is also expected that they stick at the company for the rest of their lives (or the majority of it) if they do find a job. Saki's warning to Madarame also reflected what magnitude of a no-no Madarame has done by quitting.
Old 2013-09-22, 17:17   Link #433
Tenzen12

Quote:
Of course he does. He's free from the daily grind. Just wait till he runs out of money, though...

Because it's not always easy to get a job. And he'll have to compete with guys who don't quit whenever they get heartbroken. It wasn't even a messy divorce. It was just him almost voicing his one-sided crush. When his next prospective employers ask the reason for the blank in his job history, I hope he can lie convincingly.
I don't disagree with you on that. But have enough courage try his luck is something I sort of admire. For me it depend whether he will regret his choice or not if he will he is sore looser, if not he is incredibly cool looser.

I am saying it as person who wouldn't take such risk no metter how much this daily grind wear me off.
Old 2013-09-22, 18:19   Link #434
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I don't disagree with you on that. But have enough courage try his luck is something I sort of admire.
Try his luck? He blatantly said that he decided to be a good for nothing. That sounds like resignation to me.

Also unlike you and even Anh Minh I still don't get the impression that he is actually happier, his apparent good mood looks like a facade to me, just as I see his sudden buyer rush as a way to fill a hole.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's the impression I have right now.

Old 2013-09-22, 18:31   Link #435
Tenzen12

Yeah he said that, but it doesn't necessarily means resignation. Certain period of his life ended, so he decided let it go out with bang. This "good for nothing" stage is obviously unsustainable for prolonged period of time, but it should be enough to sort ones life.

Anyway you might be right about facade, I don't have that impression myself, but that too wouldn't be that suprising.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2013-09-22 at 19:02.
Old 2013-09-22, 21:06   Link #436
Malkuth
Banned

Sasahara went through the same thought process (but under different circumstances, since he didn't have much to lose), and worked out for him. And the danger of ending up worse than before is why it is a risk. But that does not change the fact that he was miserable because of his job. He as most of Genshiken didn't grow up with the obsession about a social recognition, the opposite actually. Social recognition itself won't make any of them happy, probably the opposite, since they are anti-social, and marginalized all their life. What is good for the conservation of society is not necessarily good for the individual, and individuals that pursue alternatives are the driving forces behind a society's progress and evolution.

Speaking more specifically, Madarame could (still can) get a job in retail/second-hand otaku market, he can work as an online reseller, even given his work experience and hobbies do administrative work in a wide range of companies. The main limiting factor is his own motivation to do anything productive... I assume we all agree that he is not the creative type. But in any case, being part of the decadent salary-man/office-lady/house-wife culture, selling sewage pipes by day and getting drunk by night everyday will mathematically sent him to depression.
Old 2013-09-22, 21:25   Link #437
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
See Madarame's decision to quit in the eyes of a Japanese society glasses and leave the highly western freedom values on the door a bit. In Japan, specifically in the whole salaryman subculture, they value company loyalty very VERY VERY highly. Having a history of quitting jobs would make it harder for Madarame to find a company job again and would probably have no choice but to work a bunch of part-time jobs. It's been hinted on with Ohno's predicament, but that period where college students search for jobs in their last year is a very serious and ritualized matter in Japan and it is also expected that they stick at the company for the rest of their lives (or the majority of it) if they do find a job. Saki's warning to Madarame also reflected what magnitude of a no-no Madarame has done by quitting.
Even western-wise nowadays, just quitting a salaried job that isn't Mcdonalds because of a one-sided crush (which actually didn't end badly, he got closure that he needed) is pretty weak.

Hell, I would give Madarame some *head shaking* if he quit a McD job over this.
HandofFate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-22, 22:08   Link #438
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
I say he was depicted very sad, if not depressed, until Sue brought the trap into his daily life... which makes me wander, did she do it for Hato or Madarame?
Looking back, you're right. Sue is the one who suggested the best changing spot for Hato. She hinted Madarame that he needs to find a new love, a BL. She gave a thumb up to Hato when he defends Madarame from Angela by tell her that Mada is better pair with another guy. I guess she is doing it for both of them on her own amusement.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-22, 22:15   Link #439
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
Looking back, you're right. Sue is the one who suggested the best changing spot for Hato. She hinted Madarame that he needs to find a new love, a BL. She gave a thumb up to Hato when he defends Madarame from Angela by tell her that Mada is better pair with another guy. I guess she is doing it for both of them on her own amusement.
That's right, Sue is totally setting them up, subtly and yet quite effectively. Scary...

Old 2013-09-22, 22:58   Link #440
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
The way Sue acts is cruel to everyone involved, including herself. She's in love with Madarame too (although in denial), but instead of going for it, she gets in the way of other girls and tries to throw Hato at him, despite being fully aware that Madarame is straight and realistically, nothing would come out of it: you can't change someone's sexuality. All just for her own BL amusement and fantasies.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club, comedy, subculture