Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-10-16, 11:03   Link #1
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Exclamation Fall/Anime 2006 Review Thread

Whew! This season is pretty overwhelming.

Rate any new Fall 2006 anime you have seen and describe why you liked or disliked it. Use this format:

Title:
Title of anime i.e. Tokimeki Memorial
Rating: A+ - F grading system, i.e. D+ or C+ or B-
Episodes Viewed: Episodes you have seen. i.e. 1-2
(Description goes here. i.e. I liked Tokimeki Memorial because it isn't as generic as I thought it would be)

Here are a few of mine, I still haven't gotten through everything yet:

Title:
Asatte no Houkou
Rating: B+
Episodes Viewed: 1
I'm pretty amazed by the first episode. It doesn't have amazing animation or anything, but the atmosphere is just....wow. You can feel the peacefullness and simplicity of the location the anime is set in. I loved the way the whole of the first episode gave us a brief look into the characters *before* you-know-what. Who DOESN'T want to see what happens next after the way the first episode was executed? I would have given it a higher mark, but it depends on how the second episode plays out.

Title:
Tokimeki Memorial
Rating: C+
Not really my type of humour, but gets a good mark MOSTLY on the tsundere chick, which literally made me LOL. When I looked at the promo pics, Tokimeki Memorial looked like it would be the most generic thing ever, but the first episode proved otherwise with its wackiness and plentiful humour. I'm a bit disappointed with the "harem" so far, as they are your typical archetypes. And I'm worried that the whole anime will be biased towards one particular girl, or end with him not choosing anyone.

Title: Negima?!
Rating: B-
Episode 1 was so fun. I'm so glad Negima is given a second chance as I'm really intrigued by the concept. You know what was cool? The scene where the class talk to each other without the presence of Negi. It gives you the impression that they're....a class. Nothing interesting really happened in the first episode, but I liked the execution. I prefer the original Negima anime's character designs though.
Old 2006-10-16, 21:06   Link #2
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Title: Tenpu Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi
Rating: B
This is a new BONES original show, so of course I'm really excited for it. The first episode certainly didn't disappoint. Fluid animation, interesting characters, a fascinating setting, and a really cool-seeming system of fighting. The first episode wasn't as "look at me I'm really flippin' awesome" like most BONES first episodes. It never really wowed me, though I enjoyed it all the way through. I have no doubt that future episodes will remedy that, though.

Title: Death Note
Excellent adaptation! Great music, very moody and effective atmosphere, plus almost frame-by-frame identical to the manga. Great voice acting. Really, this was all I expected and hoped for. MONSTER has proven that Madhouse can do this, so I'm strongly looking forward to the remaining 36 episodes even though I'm already familiar with the manga.

Title: D.Gray-man
Episodes Viewed: 1-2
I'm a sucker for shounen series, I admit it. I'm a big fan of the DGM manga, so I'm already acquainted with the material... that said, the anime has been a very satisfying adaptation so far. I had to take off for the really generic music, though, and some moments of poor directing. I'm sure I'll enjoy this all the way, through, though... at least until [the potential] fillers start.
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 21:08   Link #3
y2jshereen

Title: Pumpkin Scissors
Episodes viewed: 3
I'm glad that the show did not fall into the typical post war genre.
Oland and Alice make a weird but interesting combination though I would like to see how the anime progress and not limit it to Oland's one-to-one combat with tanks.

Title: D.GrayMan
Episodes viewed: 2
The Dark Religious Organization seems shady and the protangonist adventure may sustain my interest further. However there is obvious similarities to Edward Elric... And the anime seems to move slowly, falling into the stereotypical roles.. Maybe it's just me.

Rating: A-
The anime is moving in the right direction. Great suspense and mystery aroung L now. Can't wait for the face-off between L and Light. Plus the OP by Nightmare is awesome, totally befitting the anime.

Title: Code Geass
Awesome series! Totally shocked by it. Since I'm not a mecha fan, it's amazing how action-packed the series is! Even the very first episode, C.C and Suzaku was shot!
The character and animation really appealed to me too. Can't wait for the next ep!!

Title: Negima
Episodes viewed: 1
Comedy and magical powers were well-woven into the anime. Characters were lively and beautifully drawn. It manages not to descend into a mindless anime! Kudos!

Title: Otoboku
Much like Strawberry panic! But since I'm a fan of SP, this definitely appeal to me. Really entertaining!

Title: Tokimeki Memorial
It was really refreshing the flash-back used in the first ep. Watching it made me laugh my ass off. With the chick and those head gear, really different like of approach to a romance series!
y2jshereen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 00:47   Link #4
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I wasn't planning on responding to this thread until it hard more replies, but, whatever. I'll see if I can help get the ball rolling.

Title: Kanon 2006
Marquee anime of the season. KyoAni have shown off their full array of animation talents yet again. However, ignoring that, as an anime, Kanon still hasn't shown much. Obviously, it's early days and anyone who's seen the first series knows that the first half of the story really takes its time, but I'm not sure I'd be enjoying this so much if I wasn't a fan of Kanon to begin with. In fact, I'd say it's almost impossible.

Other marquee anime of the season. The atmosphere is great and we've already been introduced to what could be a fantastic cat-and-mouse thriller. If I had a criticism of the show, it's that some of the plot points seem a bit manufactured to maximize the drama. Characters seem to make odd decisions that make the entire situation more interesting, but don't pass logical scrutiny. Other than that, it's looking like a very intriguing series.

Title: Asatte no Houkou
My pick for the season so far. The premise is a bit trite, but Asatte no Houkou comes out ahead of every other incarnation that's tried it by the fact that it's a serious drama and not a low-brow comedy. The characters are intriguing and certainly not cookie-cutter and the pacing is not afraid to be extremely slow, which works perfectly for this series, since it lets it generate so much atmosphere. Early days, but this looks like it's going to be a winner.

Title: Red Garden
Interesting. The first episode was kinda "meh", but the second episode was great, since it generated a very tense and thrilling atmosphere through great use of scene transition, sudden changes in pacing and subtle character analyses. I just hope it doesn't turn into a generic zombie-fighting action series... or that the singing becomes a regular thing.

Title: Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge
I have big problems with the way Watanabe Shinichi directs his pieces... the comedy tends to be very hit-and-miss and it's exactly the same here. As a reverse harem, it's nowhere near as good as Ouran, but that's about where the comparisons end. Sunako is interesting, but the men are almost indistinguishable. I could see the story getting bogged down and the comedy getting repetitive quite easily.

Title: Yoake mae yori ruriiro na - Crescent Love
Rating: C-
Boring characters, repetitive comedy, flat romance, waning animation. Yep, we got a winner right here. This gave of inane "shounen romance" vibes from the beginning, and it's gone and done pretty much exactly as I've expected it to at every turn... which isn't good.

Title: Bartender
Bartender? More like GARtender! Hard to say what I think of this series after one ep. Did enjoy the first ep, though... it's a fairly typical healing-type anime, which is relevant to my interests, since I almost cannot not enjoy such series. I could see it getting a bit repetitive in the future though... but, I suppose as long as they keep the characters and stories varied, that shouldn't happen. That is easier said than done, though.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 12:56   Link #5
piccu

Title:Tokimeki Memorial
Rating: E
So boring , weird and totally not funny. Don't watch it if you don't intend to waste your time.
Won't watch more eps

Rating: A+
Animation is great and interesting story. One of my favourites of this season
The more I see Yuuichi the more he reminds me of Kyon XD

Rating: E-
This is seriously the most ridicolous series of the season!
Annoying and bad crying and singing part, pseudo melancholy, pseudo interesting
Won't watch more eps

Rating: D
Boring story and chracters. Inconsistent animation.
Won't watch more eps

Loved the first part of the manga, but the animation totally doesn't justify the manga

Title: Ghost Hunt
Rating: A-B
Interesting story and charcters, nice animation.

Title: La Corda d'oro
Rating: A-B
very entertaining shoujo anime

Title: Busou Renkin
Rating: D+
stereo-type shounen, ugly female lead

Title: Hataraki Man
Much better than I've expected, thought that it I would be like anego, kimi wa petto or Sapuri! Interesting story and characters.

The other anime I've watched so far will be reviewed later, because it's still to early for those.

Last edited by piccu; 2006-11-17 at 19:45.
piccu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 23:11   Link #6
Theowne
耳をすませば

Title: Kanon
Episodes Viewed: 3
I never played the game or watched the Toei edition so this is my first Kanon experience. It's pretty for sure, the story is decent as it is, and people say it will get better, so I might as well wait and see. Can't say I like how certain girls act like kids though.

Title: Asatte no Houko
Rating: A
Episodes Viewed: 2
So far, I love it. Best show of the season, for me. It's a slow paced character-based drama, which is what I like. I'm not sure where it's headed, but as long as it doesn't do a complete 180 on me, I think this is my top anime this season.

It's obviously not anything groundbreaking. The plot is pretty predictable. But I think the characters are likeable and at least the main female character acts her age.

I think I'm going to like this one! It's weird how unpredictable I am with these kind of anime: I loved Honey and Clover, but I didn't like Nana, I like Hataraki Man but I didn't care for Paradise Kiss. Who knows

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 05:32   Link #7
Ialdaboth

Title: Negima!?
Episodes Viewed: 1-3
I'm not a fan of the original manga and I despise with all my soul the first series, but if a show is directed by Akiyuki Shinbo it's a no-brainer for me. I was not disappointed, the new series is fun, action-packed and incredibly good-looking. A keeper.

Title: 009-1
So far I love it : Invincible and sexy super-spy Mylene Hoffman fight agents from the east block in a futurist alternative world. Old-school and full of neo-retro designs, now I'm only hoping the episodic nature of the first missions will turn into something more plot-oriented with a nice bit of drama.

Not a bad adaptation, even if coming from TMS I expected something better. I am not very fond of the chara design (what have they done to Lina Lee ??? *sob*), but the series waste no time jumping into the action and episode 3 was great. Now if the visuals could be a little less dark, I have trouble figuring out what is going on on screen sometimes.

Title: Ayakashi Ayashi
The X-files in Edo era ? For whatever reason makes me think if an anime adaptation of the Bafuku-themed "Tokyo Majin Gakuen" games - well, another reason to like it. Great action sequences, good-looking designs if a little lacking in originality, and the the mystery of the another world is quite enthralling.

An animation worthy of a Kyoani anime and jaw-dropping visuals, too bad I'm sick of saccharine drama with moe characters.

Title: Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru
A very good surprise as I expected something more fanservy and more dull. It's a great successor to "Strawberry Panic", with lots of humor. And I'm fond of the tsundere inchou

Title: Yoake Mae Yori Ruri Iro Na - Crescent Love
Made me think of Shuffle. Some humor, a great central character, great production values. For fans of comedy/romantic story.

Title: Shounen Onmyouji
I'm a sucker for anything occult or onmyouji-related, so an anime about the cute grandson of Abe no Seimei I'm all for it ! Episode 1 looked promising and aesthetically pleasing, with a very nicely done Heian setting. Another show I'm looking forward to see more of it.

Title: Perfect Girl Evolution
I like the manga, especially for Sunako one of the greatest character in recent shoujo mangas. But episode 1 was perfectly disappointing and could not compare to the greatness of "Host Club", reigning king of the shoujo comedy genre.

Rating: -
Looks absolutely stunning, but as I have already read the manga and as I believe the interest of DN is in its story... pass.

Made me think of Innocent Venus with Clamp designs. Not my cup of tea.

Episode 1 was more interesting that what I was expecting, so I think I will at last watch episode 2.

Last edited by Ialdaboth; 2006-10-26 at 10:24.
Ialdaboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 17:35   Link #8
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
I wasn't planning on responding to this thread until it hard more replies, but, whatever. I'll see if I can help get the ball rolling.

Marquee anime of the season. KyoAni have shown off their full array of animation talents yet again. However, ignoring that, as an anime, Kanon still hasn't shown much. Obviously, it's early days and anyone who's seen the first series knows that the first half of the story really takes its time, but I'm not sure I'd be enjoying this so much if I wasn't a fan of Kanon to begin with. In fact, I'd say it's almost impossible.
I've not had any experience with Kanon previously and so far I've enjoyed the show. So I'd definitely disagree on that point. Yeah I know you didn't say it with 100% certainty but whatever.

Quote:
Title: Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge
I have big problems with the way Watanabe Shinichi directs his pieces... the comedy tends to be very hit-and-miss and it's exactly the same here. As a reverse harem, it's nowhere near as good as Ouran, but that's about where the comparisons end. Sunako is interesting, but the men are almost indistinguishable. I could see the story getting bogged down and the comedy getting repetitive quite easily.
From what manga readers have said, it's not actually a reverse harem. I think this point has been made a couple of times in the respective anime thread too.
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 15:28   Link #9
Katapan
俺様祭り

Episodes Viewed: 4
Definitely my favorite show of this season. I've only read the manga recently and enjoyed the story a lot, so I'm glad to see it put to good use. On top of that, the animation really appeals to me (I have a soft spot for very colorful series). I'm very curious to see more to see where the story is going.

A very nice surprise coming from Gonzo. I knew I'd like the context, but I was scared that some screwups on the animation and other technical stuff would make it not too good, which hasn't happened. I wonder if the level can be kept that high...

Everyone's said so much good stuff about the manga, there's not much else to add. I still think Madhouse could do a bit better on their adaptations though.

Rating: C
Seems like a somewhat interesting shonen series, it's not what I love the most but it's got intriguing characters and is pretty good-looking (except when it's too dark to actually see anything).

The type of shonen that I usually don't like, I could care less for its fights, but I like the main characters enough to follow it for a while.

Title: Sumomomo Momomo
Probably what's made me laugh the most this month. I love every single one of the characters, the humor is somewhat ecchi but doesn't feel too much like it, and the animation is clean (and the OP song... so... damn... addicting...). It'll probably be even more fun once we've seen all the characters in action.

It's just as good as I was expecting from Sunrise. If only it was able to reach ZEGAPAIN's level...

I have only seen the first 2 episodes of the Toei adaptation, so it's still fairly new to me and I'm enjoying it despite the slow introductions (I'm expecting all the good stuff to come closer to the end, just like with AIR).

A nice change of context from all the past series. I liked Anno Moyoco's work on Sugar Sugar Rune, and this didn't disappoint (although it's in a totally different genre).

Title: Gift ~eternal rainbow~
It's been a while since my last harem series, and this has all the right characters to make it work (and even a likable lead, for once!).

Title: Happiness!
This series would be fairly average on all levels, if it wasn't for Jun. This would get an A if they could follow his path in the anime ^^;

Title: La Corda d'Oro
I have to admit that Koei knows how to draw bishies. So far the only boys who are meant to look pretty and really do IMO are from La Corda d'Oro and Angelique. The story is actually pretty good, sometimes funny with some overly shoujo moments.

I still think that this season has some fairly good titles, since I haven't been able to give anything lower than a C- (well, I could only give that to Giniro no Olynssis, but I haven't been able to watch it past the first minute, so I don't really want to rate it). I'll probably edit to add Asatte no Houkou and Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto sometime later.
Old 2006-10-27, 16:27   Link #10
Srin Tuar
無謀

I'll deviate from the format a bit:

Animation: A+
Realism: A+
Plotline: A+
Fan Service: C
Comedy: C
Notes: Angst, Relationships
***Probably the best new show for the fall

Title: Sumomomo Momomo
Animation: A
Realism: D
Plotline: A-
Fan Service:A+
Comedy: A
Notes: Harem, Action

Title: Corda d'Oro
Realism: B
Plotline: B
Fan Service: D
Comedy: D
Notes: Classical Music, Inverse Harem, School, bishi

Realism: C
Fan Service: B
Notes: Mecha, Angst

Title: Kekkaishi
Realism: C
Notes: School, Demons, Osananajimi

Animation: A+
Realism: B
Plotline: A+
Fan Service: D
Notes: Mystery, Suspense, Shinigami, School

Title: Yoake Mae Yori Ruri Iro Na - Crescent Love
Animation: C
Plotline: B
Comedy: B
Notes: Osanajimi, Romance, School,

Title: Yamato Nadeshiko
Animation: C-
Plotline: A
Fan Service: B
Comedy: A
Notes: Bishi, School, Inverse Harem

All these shows are my favorites, and I havent listed any I wont be following
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 17:43   Link #11
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
oki where to start

Title: Black Lagoon 2
so far its been show as a darker version that its former season 1...even though i think its impact from season 1 has been slipping a bit...

Title: D grey man
Episodes Viewed: interesting storyline but im fearing that the storyline would revert to a "powerup" situation and heavily depend on it...

Title: Death note
so far it ok...the atmosphere and animation, music is perfect but somehow im not feeling that much of an impact in kira's actions...mayby its due to the fact that ive read 2 volumes of it?

as this is my first kanon experience im hooked on it already...the animation continues to be top notch and all the charas are lovable...the story is nice and catchy catchphrase like uguu~ and kuu~ is catching onto me...*melts* and kyon's erm i mean yuuichi's attitude is what i love

Title: Pumpkin scissors
another good series but on my list...it is unique and shows a lot of promise...dont let the title fool you it is actually quite enjoyable and as of now still completely unpredictable...

Title: Yoake mae yori ruriiro na
even though the actions are predictable and at times the animation is unstable...its the comedy which is keeping this series alive! the random chibi moments are much to be accounted for ^_^

Title: negima!?
so far i find it hard to match the livelyness of the original...the story for the remake has changed and matured so much that at points i do not think it is right...at first glance i did not like the new charater changes but that so far has been growing on me...

Title: Tokimeki memorial ~only love~
quite an abnormal school indeed...but still the charaters included in it are enjoyable and the tsundere chick is just: ...quite predictable where this is heading but some great laughs along the way...i hope...

Title: Sumomo momo momo
Rating: A*
at first this seems soo wrong...but OMG the sexual refferences in this is just so side splitting funny! a loli that would do anything for her man and constantly bugging him to "make babies" with her is definatly worth an A*

Title: Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi
Rating: D-
its oki...if you are looking for 20mins to waste but quite frankly i find the lead to be a bit pathetic...still i can forsee this improving as the story deepens...but atm its a fail...

i generally just found the story boring...tbh the only thing that is saving this series is jun and the side charaters providing comic relief...the lead girl isnt taking any action and the predictibility of this series can make you fall off you chair when the romance does begin...if it ever does...

a very interesting storyline this has...the leading girl is cute and strong and we can only see the leading male getting better...

oh yea...another crossdresser! the amount of drama in this is commendable...with touchy feely scenes on mizuho we can only pity (or envy) the about of bodily tourture hes going to get in the future...one to look out for! also its going to be extremely exciting to see his cover blown...

at first this started out poorly with a very slow and confusing pace...but after the body swap its quite clear that this is going to be an extordinary series of this season...the amount of thinking and contemplating of this series put it up there with the big titles and is aimed at the more "mature minded"...the changes are darastic but are presented in a subtle way...unpredictable in everyway...expect some tears and broken hearts along the way

Title: Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo!
Rating: A*
this is just GOLD! the comedy...the amazing charater leading tsundere lady...and the generally undestructable crew all nicely packed with fanservice and a shota that is so lovable and cute! ^__^ im speechless in how much im enjoying this series...

oh dear...its another psyco on the loose...lulu reminds me of Light from Death Note that this series is going for a winner...a mixed parody of Death Note and Gundamseed with all the right textures in plot...

phew now im tired

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 12:52   Link #12
julez
Tsundere-chan

Title: D. Gray-Man
So far it's one of those that I just watch to pass the time. However, that doesn't mean that it isn't decent, because it is... I just think I have to see more episodes, and see more development before I can really decide what I think of this show. But so far it's good

Title: Death note
I haven't read the manga at all, which is why I probably think it's so exciting. The music, storyline, characters are all great! So far I'm really impressed with this show.

Hmmmm... honestly I am just watching it hoping to understand why so many people love Kanon. I really liked The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and since kyoto animation is doing this as well I decided to give it a chance. So far the story has been going very slow... but I keep hearing that if I hang in there I won't regret it... well, we'll see. I gave it a B anyways because it is enjoyable anyways... I really like Yuuichi and it's fun to watch him interact with all these weird girls.

Title: Yoake mae yori ruriiro na
It was kind of boring for me. Maybe it's not fair to judge it based on just one episode, but I watched quite a few shows and this was just one of the weaker ones. It's just too predictable and I didn't like any of the characters. I don't think I'll be following this one..

Bleeeh, I do not see why everyone loves this show so much! I do not like the protagonist, and there are just tooo tooo tooo many girls for my taste.

Title: Sumomo momo momo
I really like this anime, it's hilarious. Momo is so cute, I adore her. I look forward to this everyweek to give me a good laugh.

Rating:B-
I'm not sure exactly why, but I like this series. It's all been done before, countless times... but I like it when it's done right. Even though there are some annoying characters, I still think it's sweet. The animation appeals to me, even though it's not top notch, I like the character designs.

Rating: D+
OK, another one where I could only watch one episode. I'm not a big fan of these types of shows, maybe I shouldn't have even bothered to watch it but I thought I would give it a chance. I thought it was boring. The lead character left much to be desired... he was just really plain.

Really really really really liking this show. For me, it draws me to it just like Honey and Clover did. Except in this one, something supernatural is going on. I think the story is unfolding nicely, and I really look forward to it every week.

Title: Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo!
This show is really funny, and it has a lot of potential... my only problem with it is that Mamoru looks like he's 10. BUT, I'm still looking forward to seeing more

I'm not a big mecha fan, however I still wanted to give this show a chance. I think the story and atmosphere is really good, but, I didn't really like any of the characters, maybe because there was too much going on to really get to know any of them. Lots of action is good though... so I'll see after a few more if I'm going to stick with it

Tenpou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi
I decided to watch this because it's a new BONES show. I really like the animation. I think I have to watch a bit more to see if I will really like this or not... but it is interesting enough. I just hope it won't turn into one of those Monster of the Week shows.

Red Garden
I cannot get over the big noses, it really turned me off of this show. I know I'm really shallow .... and to add to that, the singing part in the middle was just awful.

La Corda D'Ora ~primo passo~
I really like this one. I read the first chapter of the manga in shoujo beat not too long ago, and I remembered wanting to read/see more. There is nothing particularly special about this show though.. but it's just my type of anime. I like fairies too.
julez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 15:17   Link #13
Barry

Title: Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto
Hands down probably going to be the best of the year. Setting is about the same as Basilisk, and it definitely has that Samurai "cut em up feel" to it. But like some of the others in it's class the plot was not all that intriguing. Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto definitely delivers in this department. Here's a series I'd look at the first thing I get home on a fansub rlease if it isn't licenced already. It's like the 3rd Hokage vs Orochimaru all over again, and I'm loving every second of it.

I do have the all of the volumes in the manga, but never really had the time to read it as yet. So I'm reduced to watching the anime which I have absolutely no complaints about. Excellent art work, plot is good but not one to keep you asking for more, animation was also well done. Good but not great.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 17:11   Link #14
Olf-chan

Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto

This looks to be a quite interesting show. You can't go wrong with a little Bakumatsu action. The turmoil that the end of the 1800:s brought always makes a good story.
The characters have great design and the story is intriguing. Now if we could get a little Shinsengumi action as well, that would be great.

Death Note

Having read the manga, I can say that this adaption is on the spot!
The music is perfect, the animation is beatutiful, as to be expected of Madhouse, and the voice acting is superb. I was a little sceptic about L being done by Yamaguchi Kappei, as I had not heard him in this type of genre before, but he does a flawless job. Miyano Mamoru does a great job as Light aswell.

NHK ni Youkoso
Episodes Viewed: 16

This series is really great! It sort of feels like an extreme version Genshiken with a look at the problems of being a Hikikomori/NEET/Otaku. It is really enjoyable and is recomended to anyone. The story and characters are interesting and it makes you want to keep watching.
Olf-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 09:32   Link #15
Blablabla
Zetsubo-sensei daaaaaa !!

-Death Note (4 eps watched) : A
+I really like the hunt between Light and L...
+the story is very interesting.
+ May be the best show of the year with Honey and Clover and Simoun.

Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori (2 eps watched) : A
+ I missed Ai's "Ippen Shinde Miru"
+This time her "guys" seem to have character developpement.
+The "one story per ep" way is taken once againt but the 2 cases she had to deal with were really intersting...

Hokuto no Ken Movie Raoh Den : A
+ Animation !
+ dealing with Shuu-Souther story
+ Souther and Raoh, my favourite characters of HNK with Rei
+ Reina who allows us to undestand more about Raoh's real self
- Kajiura's music sucks as usual since My HiME

Black Lagoon Second Barrage (3 eps watched): B+
+ The Twins' arc was really good
+ animation once again is very good
+ Rock and Balaika...
- If only Revy could shut up once for all...

Negima?! (3 eps watched): B+
+ Akiyuki Shinbou who once again shows that he is able to turn mud to gold with is unique style
+ no pantsu
- Characters

D'Eon (5 eps watched): B
+ Interesting story
+ The first ep was astonishing
- But the others were "so-so" animated

Red Garden (3 eps watched): B
+ Pretty intersting story
- Gonzo... I'm always fearing Gonzo's works since they are not able to write an intersting story 'till the end... but seeing Gankutsuou/Rozen Maiden/Simoun staff on it... I'm still hoping.

Ayakashi (2 eps watched): B

Code Geass (3 eps watched): D-
- The Sunrise farce of the season.

Pumpkin Sissors (2 eps watched): D-
- Here is the Gonzo one.

- Black Bood Brothers :... I dunno. Each time I tried to watch it, I slept in front of it...

Last edited by Blablabla; 2006-11-01 at 09:57.
Blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 11:16   Link #16
wao
OK.

Asatte no Houkou
Grade: B-
Episodes watched: 3

This was a really pleasant surprise because despite being the type of show that I typically hate, it was presented in a very nice way that didn't come across as pandering or overly simplistic. The very harmonized production values were a good plus. Unfortunately, I think ultimately it just isn't my kind of show, so I wont' continue watching it. It's an entirely personal thing though, so it's a bit unfair.

Code Geass
Grade: C-
Episodes watched: 4

It's sometimes embarassing to see how much this sort of stuff gets touted. Ultimately it isn't really a horrible show, and there are certain new things in it, but it largely feels very "been there done that" and the thing is, it's directed in such a way that makes it OBVIOUS they're aiming for you to fangirl/fanboy over the characters. I know it's fun, but I guess it doesn't work on me, despite there being awesome seiyuu and Lelouch being an admittedly cool character. But hypocritically I will still hang on to see if it gets any better because if it does a double take and starts doing something smart and amazing then I will be very impressed.

Red Garden
Grade: B
Episodes watched: 4 (soon to be 5)

I am quite impressed by the aesthetics of this piece. I like the visual imagery and the general setting is good enough (although I would like it to have a rougher feel to contrast with the 'safe lives' the girls used to lead, but I guess I won't comment too much having never visited America.)
The eyecatches are awesome. But the real highlight is the character dynamics. They're extremely engaging and while normally I would dismiss it as being 'emo' and not worth my time, I can genuinely empathise with them and am really intersted in observing them, even if some things are predictable. It's like real life. And this is very greatly helped by the stellar voice acting. I'm very impressed.
But I am also worried as to how the story is goign to go on. For now, though, there is still quite a bit of potential and I'm willing to belive Gonzo might not screw up on this one. Please.

Grade: B~B+? [Fangirl grade: A]
Episodes watched: 4 (and many, many damn times)

The show I am totally and hopelessly a fangirl of, and I give it a B? Am I mad?

Spoiler for loooong explanation:

Ayakashi Ayashi
Grade: ..D

I tried very hard to like this. Well, it's not an utter doomed failure. But I regret to say that I just don't think this is really good. Sure, the premise is actually quite interesting and you could argue that it's more sophisticated than Iroha, being more mature as well.
But I think that's only on a superficial level. Sure, there's probably a lot more that might happen, but already I am very disappointed by the production values, and a lot of the directing. The directing especially. It is extremely ineffective - and I don't mean subdued ro bland, because I can like that kind of directing, but ineffective - to me, and I think it wasted a lot of its potential. I am also not quite fond of the feel of the character designs and the most probable reasons behind them.
I don't think it achieves in being either a Sophisticated and Subdued series, or on the other end of the spectrum, an Exciting and Energizing show.
I expected a lot better than Bones from this, really, but I won't be following this any more until I hear something super-duper awesome about it.

Although, I absolutely love the ending song. Winding Road is KAMI.

Pumpkin Scissors
Grade: D+ ~ C-
Episodes watched: 2

It's probably not fair considering I only watched 2 eps. But while I thought the first ep was OK there was something underlying it that worried me, which seems to have surfaced later. I'll just keep it short and say I don't care particularly much for that sort of execution and plot elements.
But to its credit it is not gunk. Certainly not.

Death Note
Grade: N/A

This is why I don't like reading the manga of an anime I'm watching or wathing the anime of a manga I've read in entirety. Your opinion of the show gets greatly clouded. I can only talk of the production values properly now, and they're good enough - the expected level of Serious Madhouse. But it's nothing amazing - not Bones levels, only the ED animator's really good...
I've read only part of the manga, but I was and am still impressed by the premise and characters and the intricate plot. But I think I can only fairly comment on this once I can watch it with a clearer mindset and I'll just wait for like a huge load of epis to finish airing, and then marathon it.

Yamato Nadesico Shichi Henge
Grade: D
Episodes watched: 1

Another unfair review perhaps but I'm afraid it just fails at being funny or anything. Sorry folks but precise direction is essential in making a show like this good. And better production values would have helped... But the so-so story alone cannot prop this anime up. Even if ti gets better I'd get distracted by all the other bad factors.

And that is all I watched out of the new season. Who cares~
Old 2006-11-01, 17:29   Link #17
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Episodes: 4
Genre: Historical/Action
First episode is breathtaking in both scope and presentation. A thing of tear-inducing beauty. Yet the plot to some, me included, is quite intimidating at first with its intricate interpretation of the Bakumatsu era but there's lots of mystery and a wonderful atmosphere dripping with accurate historical details. It is action packed too and in Akizuki we have an engimatic ronin with cool moves, haunted by his past failures. The OP by Fiction Junction YUUKA proves Yuki Kajiura can still produce mesmerizing tunes when the source material inspires her.

Genre: Science Fiction/Action
A clutch of likeable characters, a central mystery surrounding a post-war WW11 inspired world, a head-biting dog called Mercury and lots of potential for a fun series. However it's not afraid of blood and violence which gives it an edge. It manages, like FullMetal Alchemist and Chrno Crusade, to mix funny with serious quite effectively. I'm actually surprised at just how popular this show has become, but I think alot of that is down to accessibility. Pretty much anyone can get into it and enjoy the humour, action and mystery. I'm not expecting this to be a masterpiece, but I am expecting it to entertain me. The bombastic OP by Youko Takahashi is fan-bloody-tastic and the ED is just plain barmy.

Genre: Fantasy/Comedy/Harem
What I like about Negima!? is that it is not afraid to do things differently - everything from the skewed OP to presenting exposition with exciting visual motifs and switching art styles to enhance the sense of the dramatic. It is great fun and a feast for the eyes. The fanservice is surprisingly low key and the emphasis, thankfully, is on the magic rather than the harem. However I secretly fear it might end up being pure eye-candy as the plot is a tad predictable but I hope to be proved wrong in this regard. Spotting the various anime homages is great fun in itself.

Title: Code Geass - Lelouch Of The Rebellion
Genre: Mecha/Action
Big, slick, loud and as subtle as a headbutt, but hugely entertaining nonetheless. Code Geass is the anime equivalent of a big budget Hollywood blockbuster. Lots for fans of GSD to ruminate over and mecha fans in general should be right at home. Thankfully the first episode suggests a wider more mysterious plot (a la Eureka 7) once the histrionics are out of the way. I'm in it for the long haul. Just don't mention CLAMP

Episodes: 2
Genre: Mystery/Horror
I've only watched two episodes but I'm quite smitten with the style and the especially the realism. It's by no means light entertainment and the pervading air of despair is a little off putting at first. The sound direction is especially unsettling. I will probably take some time to finish the series but it is fascinating just how chilling the atmosphere is.

Genre: Comedy/Horror
This was a rather enjoyable surprise. Sort of low-budget Ghostbusters for otakus. Having said that the animation is suprisingly good and the sparks between the two ill-matched leads is as, if not more, enjoyable that the spooky goings on. Speaking of which there are some genuine chills (especially ep 4) that I really wasn't expecting. The cast is worth a mention, especially the spirited Kaori Nazuka as Mai and the music, by Toshio Masuda, is a delight.

Genre: Shounen/Action
I guess Busou Renkin and D.Gray-Man are the two contenders for shounen fighto-fest of the season. I prefer Busou Renkin because it throws a lot of the shounen conventions out of the window and it's also very funny. The fights are engrossing and the villains and weapons are bizarre (in a good way). I wrongly thought this might be ripping off FullMetal Alchemist, but it's vastly different despite the alchemy theme. Good solid entertainment. I thoroughly dislike the OP though, it's like some bad 80's rock anthem lol.

Title: Shounen Onmyouji
Genre: Fantasy/Action
I originally watched this to check out Junko Noda (Dio from Last Exile) as Mokkun. I adore her distinctive voice and she plays her key role extremely well. Actually it's not a bad show as it turned out. It's clear the cast are having fun. Admittedly the animation is so-so but the action is rather well done. Guren, voiced by Katsuyuki Konishi (Haji in Blood+) makes for a cool if elusive guardian of Masahiro Abeno, grandson of Seimei Abeno. I couldn't help but notice there's a lot of animal dismemberment in this show, if that's your thing.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 04:10   Link #18
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

The entrapment next to the Grade Marks reflects my own personal entertainment values which is more on the entertainment value compared to what it presents as a whole.

La Corda D'Oro
Grade : C-~C+ (( B ))
Episodes Watched : 5

I hate that goddamn fairy. That's pretty much my only complain about La Corda as whole. To be goddamnishly critical, La Corda really has little superbness value. The music is okay, the settings are okay, the characters are just okay, the directing are mediocre, there's nothing that stands out. But due to that factor, it's entertaining in the sense that everything just flows smoothly with a nice pace of predictability and cliches. It doesn't try to be great, and from there, it's really a nice show of low-key character developments. Mediocre-ism at it's finest flow.

Galaxy Angel~Rune aka GA2
Grade : D- (( F ))
Episode watched : 3

Without being biased, I'd say that is not that bad of a space comedy...But I personally feel that the comical aspects of this is too forced for my taste. I never liked the first season, and apparently the 2nd doesn't try to be any different. PHAIL.

Tokimeki Memorial ~Only Luv~
Grade : D+ (( D + ))
Episode watched : 3

Slapstick comedy with overbound cliches with tinge of romance. The nice thing about this is that is doesn't try to be remotely serious and in some ways, it is fun, but sadly, I feel it's unespecially lacking in pacing and proper execution of a school-story. Slapstick can only get one anime so far, and only the Yakuza chicken lives. I'll probably watch the whole bunch of this anime sometime in the future when it's halfway complete, but till then, it doesn't really fill my stomach for comedy and romance. PHAIL.

Pumpkin Scissors
Grade : C+~B- (( B ))
Episode watched : 5

To be completely honest, this really feels to me like Kanon with guns and tanks. It has a bunch of interesting characters, a promise of further mysteries and story development, a semi-unique premise, but from what I've seen, it has yet to truly dwelve into it's main point, since so far, the characters are still not properly developed and there's nothing substancial. A lot of promise, but we'll see if it delivers.

D.Gray-Man
Grade : C+~B- (( B ))

The action shounen of the season. My problems with it stem in it's art and colour direction. Seriously... D.Gray-Man is something that utilized white and black in the manga to an artisticly beautiful level, while the anime feels totally...black. So far, it's technically my impression of Pumpkin Scissors, with the only difference being that it somewhat delivers it's mood and story somewhat.

Death Note
Grade : A-(( A- ))

Like wao-dono, knowledge of the manga beforehand does spoil it a bit for me...but all those aside, the artistic direction of this anime is really really solid. Really, one could see how the whole dark feel of the anime is intergrated properly into the riveting story of Death Note...even if it's just a sophiscated dick-measuring contest.

Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge
Grade : F (( F ))
Episodes watched : 1

At least try to be mediocrely well done. The entire anime feels extremely lazy, from it's direction, style, etc. Comedy once again felt forced, and really... I can't relate to it at all. PHAIL.

Shounen Onmyouji
Grade : C+ (( A- ))
Episodes watched : 3

Nothing to see here. I don't qualify to talk about this, since I'm ridiculously biased upon Abe-no-Seimei related mediums of story-telling... (( I watched Harukanaru Toki No simply for Hoshi's amazing voice work as Eisen and Abe )), but to be as normal as I can, it seems fairly okay as a shounen series with a fairly decently acceptable feel. Not bad is pretty much how I would sum it unbiasedly.

BLACK LAGOON The Second Barrage
Grade : C+ (( B+))
Episodes watched : 5

Say hello to the guilty pleasure of B-Grade Action flicks in animated form.

Super Robot Wars OG Divine Wars
Grade : D+ (( AAA ))
Episodes watched : 5

SOPAA ROBOTOOOO WARSSS!!! Finally animated in all it's CG glory...Excuse me.. Now that I've got that out, frankly, this anime just totally reeks of mediocrism in it's execution. The animation is sloppy, the CGs are clean and crisp, but looks convoluted in battle scenes, and so far, there's little tension and excitement that makes people attached to the screen. It's a decent watch putting aside it's weaknesses, and for me... It's MECHA. I can't do wrong with mecha.

Kanon
Grade : B- (( C+))
Episodes watched : 4

Look up my PS read. Short in words, nothing spectacular aside from solid animatiom, nothing bad. Kudos for making introduction episodes seem decently paced without lag.

CODE GEASS - Lelouch of the Rebellion
Grade : B+ (( AAA ))

Nothing to see here, move along... Welcome the cocktail of Fall, in which we're getting a fine, albiet somewhat diluted mix of fanboy/girl appeal in form of promising even if somewhat cliche story with mix of politics, angst and mysterious powahs, interesting, multi-formed characters from the badass Lelouch to the goody-2-shoe Suzaku, slick and solid action scenes in the form of mecha.... There's a bit of everything for everyone. If it means anything, I can't stop laughing throughout the entire GEASS...It makes for some serious unintentional comedy.

Grade : A- (( AA ))
Episode watched : 4

Look at wao-dono's post...with the only difference is that I don't put it side by side with PlanetES one way or another...since most animes would be an F next to PlanetES.

Kekkaishi
Grade :B (( AA ))

Light shounen done right. Solid animation, likable characters, nice pacing...The dark horse in terms of action shounen this season.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 22:57   Link #19
JerseyDevil
Eating cattle since 1735

Title: Black Lagoon: Second Barrage
Interest: A+
Episodes: 4
I was already in love with Season 1, and this second season only further cemented my obsession. The darker themed Hansel and Gretel arc was a somber, but interesting way to start things off. The action is still great (enter in some Chow Yun Fat action, too) and the characters are still kickin'.

Title: Black Blood Brothers
Interest: C-
Episodes Viewed: 8
I guess it gets points for using vampires in a different context than what we're used to seeing in anime. It has a Trigun-feel to it, too. The plot is interesting and the characters are enjoyable, actions scenes are 'meh'. Character designs are just goofy though...is that guy suppose to be a red mage?

Interest: D
Don't get me wrong: I love the manga (well, the first half at least), and I think the anime is doing a fine adaptation of it. Why the low interest? The fun thing about DN was not knowing who was going to win, who was going to die, and what will happen next. After reading the manga, there really isn't much of a point to continue watching the anime. I suspect people who've never read the manga to absolutely love this series though.

Title: D. Gray-man
Episodes Viewed: 5
My low interest in the series is pretty much for the same reason as DN. There are a few differences here and there from the manga to motivate me to stick with it, but right now I'm just barely hanging on. The action scenes aren't particularly well done, which is very disappointing to me. I was looking forward to seeing Allen Walker go on a tear in style.

That guy is frickin' huge! And if you've seen the 5th episode, then you know I mean in more ways than one. Anyway, the plot doesn't really interest me. Pumpkin Scissors crew provides war-relief to devastated towns, and help improve the quality of life for citizens one small step at a time. It's getting repetitive, but the mystery behind the ATT-901 squad has some potential though. Action scenes are redundant (Big guy saunters up to tank and shoots it point blank with absurdly powerful hand cannon).

I never saw the original Kanon, so I really can't compare the two. I'm not much of a fan of this genre, but I had to at least check it out since it's from Kyoto Ani. I'm glad I did, because this is turning out to be a charming little, slice of life series.

The main character draws alot of comparisons to Light Yagami of DN (arrogant, manipulative mastermind), which is a 'plus' in my book. However, unlike Light, he seems to be more than just a one-dimensional anti-hero. Most of the action involves mecha, which is usually a turn-off for me, but not in this case. Code Geass must be doing something right because I'm still watching.

Interest: A
Now this one surprised me. I thought for sure I'd watch 5 minutes into it then poke out my eyes in disgust. It's been fairly entertaining so far, and my pupils are still intact. It's a relatively straightforward series with likeable characters and fun fight scenes. A guilty pleasure of mine, I suppose. Oh yeah, it involves alchemy and homunculi, but it's far from FMA.

The theater troupe element is downright annoying. Characters are bland, and the action scenes are mediocre. It's still early, so I'll give it a few more episodes. At least the animation is easy on the eyes.

I was expecting alot more from Bones. The plot is pretty wacky, and I think I'll need a few more episodes under my belt before I comment on whether or not I like where things are headed. The pacing of the early episodes have been pretty inconsistent. Animation work is not up to standards of what Bones is capable of. Disappointing so far.

The main character and his stupid pet are very annoying and whiny, but the rest of the cast seems interesting enough to compensate for that. I have no idea what's going on in the plot. Some kid is apparently a mage and is now forced to teach courses at an all-female school...all while fending off vampires on the side.

Interest: B
Another series I was surprised with. I thought it was going to be another monotonous slice of life series with the way things were going early on. But by the end of the first ep, it manages to seperate itself from the rest of the pack with an interesting plot twist. I'll be keeping up with this one to see how it ends up.

Last edited by JerseyDevil; 2006-11-03 at 23:17.
JerseyDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-05, 10:47   Link #20
Yashiro

Being a fan of the manga, I love the anime as well. It doesn't disappoint in the slightest, and is still exciting and thrilling when animated.

A huge surprise for me this season. I'm not a fan of mech series, nor am I a huge fan of CLAMP character designs, but I think this series is fantastic. Great series, one of my top picks this season.

I loved the first series, love the remake. Nothing really more to say - I went in expecting to love it, and I did.

Interest: B+
Just a fun series. Good action, animation, art direction - it's mostly just a pleasure to watch. I disliked the original series, but this one is clicking with me.

Title: Sumomo Momomo
Interest: B+
One of my picks for comedy series of the season, though at times a bit generic, but still a lot of fun.

Title: Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage
Interest: B
Okay, I know I've said just about every series is fun, but I really mean it for this one. I was a pretty big fan of the original, and the sequel/continuation doesn't disappoint - I loved the twins arc. Great stuff, some fantastic action scenes as well.

Interest: B-
A different approach, and a relatively interesting one. I like many of the characters, and it is a fresh change from many of the other series currently airing.

Interest: C+
I like the manga. The anime, not so much - it's nice, but the action scenes (and many of the other scenes as well) are kind of boring. Typical shounen fare, nothing that really stands apart yet (we'll see what happens when the anime arrives to the meat of the story).

Title: Bartender
Interest: C
A "healing-type" anime, and I think the premise is relatively interesting, but I don't think it can go on for very long and continue to be interesting. I still have hopes for this series, and will continue watching it.

So far, a VERY disappointing effort for BONES. I don't really like the plot or many characters so far, and the animation isn't great as well. Thumbs down

Interest: D+
The theatre troop focus is kind of unique, but it still doesn't save this show.

Interest: D+
Not really my kind of series, and not really a good one either. It's dull overall, IMO, and the repetitveness and poor plot don't help either. Pass.

Interest: D
Generic shounen at its worse. While watching the series, I could name at least ten other shounen series that pull off the same exact scenes/ideas better. Terrible.

Title: Yamato Nadesico Shichi Henge
Interest: F
It's a comedy I don't find funny, so it obviously fails.

I think there are a couple bishoujo comedy series that I watched but don't remember. I doubt they were good.
Yashiro is offline   Reply With Quote