AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

View Poll Results: Should the British Remain or Leave the EU.
Remain 24 55.81%
Leave 19 44.19%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2019-06-10, 13:56   Link #1141
James Rye

So the choices for next prime minister are between 2 liars (Johnson & Gove), 3 irresponsible fucks (Hunt, Javid, Hancock) and a fucking moron (Raab). Hooooooly shiiiiiiit~
I thought May was bad but the Tories managed to get an even worse batch than last time. Where are they finding those clowns and why are they even in ruling positions to begin with?
Old 2019-06-10, 14:01   Link #1142
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well....they didn't find them in the Silly Party...that's a more sensible lot (ironically).
Old 2019-06-11, 00:43   Link #1143
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's not even a choice - Johnson is as good as PM already. But if it were an actual choice Stewart seems head and shoulders above the others.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-11, 07:19   Link #1144
James Rye

Crazy how close the Scots are to independence. Especially if BoJo becomes PM and does his whole "Scots gonna pay for English taxes" plan. Like that guy is hated up in the north even the Tory voters there don't like him. Atm it stands 49% for yes to independence and 51% for no. Superclose. If no deal happens and the panic grips the economy market and Scotland's population realizes that it is the one losing out most due no deal, I think that might tip the scales finally for a Scottish independence. Which will be interesting to see due their problems with what currency to use or how to deal with the Border to England or how to keep their other half of the population happy after ending the UK. Though tbf the UK ending is not the fault of the SNP here but clearly the Tories fault. Ofc they will never see it that way.^^
Old 2019-06-11, 11:34   Link #1145
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

I'm not that familiar with the other candidates but Johnson really? The guy known to lying to the public during the whole brexit referendum and who ran away on his bike because he didn't want to answer questions from a journalist is the favorite?

Is this the party's fault for not being able to list a better candidate or the public's fault for still supporting this buffoon?
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-11, 12:47   Link #1146
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
I'm not that familiar with the other candidates but Johnson really? The guy known to lying to the public during the whole brexit referendum and who ran away on his bike because he didn't want to answer questions from a journalist is the favorite?

Is this the party's fault for not being able to list a better candidate or the public's fault for still supporting this buffoon?
It is the party's fault. Remember that Theresa May barely scraped an election win by signing a coalition deal with a bunch of nasty pieces of work from Northern Ireland, but Boris Johnson should definitely not be your frontrunner if you know that a general election would come around the corner at a time when people are increasingly more hostile towards the mere notion of Brexit.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-11, 17:33   Link #1147
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post

It’s the party’s fault in that they’ve become as much of a venal, soulless debacle as the American Republicans. But ultimately Boris is the sure winner because he’s the overwhelming choice of Tory rank-and-file voters. Plenty of blame to go around.
Old 2019-06-11, 19:16   Link #1148
DracoS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toukairin View Post
It is the party's fault. Remember that Theresa May barely scraped an election win by signing a coalition deal with a bunch of nasty pieces of work from Northern Ireland, but Boris Johnson should definitely not be your frontrunner if you know that a general election would come around the corner at a time when people are increasingly more hostile towards the mere notion of Brexit.
Depends who you talk to. I know no lack of people in my own social circles who are rolling the eyes at how long it taking to leave.
DracoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-13, 07:49   Link #1149
James Rye

114 votes in the first round, 2nd place got 43 only 6 more than the 3rd place. In other words BoJo will eat up more votes while the other 6 will fight for 2nd place. They honestly could ignore the coming weeks, the winner is pretty much chosen already. Glad to see Rory make it through first round, doubt he will get through 2nd as he needs at least 33 only got 19 so far. But from all the candidates he is probably the only one who really wants a deal and knows what it gonna cost. Plus he was the only one not making insane promises the UK got no money for.
Old 2019-06-13, 09:15   Link #1150
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
114 votes in the first round, 2nd place got 43 only 6 more than the 3rd place. In other words BoJo will eat up more votes while the other 6 will fight for 2nd place. They honestly could ignore the coming weeks, the winner is pretty much chosen already. Glad to see Rory make it through first round, doubt he will get through 2nd as he needs at least 33 only got 19 so far. But from all the candidates he is probably the only one who really wants a deal and knows what it gonna cost. Plus he was the only one not making insane promises the UK got no money for.
You make it sound like he's not even trying to get elected...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-13, 17:17   Link #1151
James Rye

^Given how little he appeared compared to his competitors, he is basically winning without moving out of his bureau. BoJo is pretty much running the "talking is silver, keeping your mouth shut is Nr.10" strategy. The worst opponent to Boris victory is he himself which is why he hardly giving any interviews compared to his past where he threw himself at every journalist that was onto the trees on the count of three.
Old 2019-06-14, 01:05   Link #1152
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I meant Rory.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-14, 09:06   Link #1153
Dop
Mmmm....

Johnson's minders are keeping him away from the press as much as possible to avoid him running his mouth off too much with jolly racist japes. Then again, he could probably stand stark bollock naked in Parliament Square shouting the N-word through a loudhailer while masturbating furiously into the flag, and the tories would still make him the new PM.
It's all about putting the party ahead of the country.

Sadly, we have an incompetent opposition or we might have been saved this garbage.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-14, 10:11   Link #1154
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Could a Tory party with Boris Johnson at the helm survive a vote of confidence? The DUP must know a no-deal Brexit is pretty unpopular in Ulster, as is any solution that would restore a hard border on the island.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-14, 19:50   Link #1155
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

They might not survive a VoC (not because of the vile DUP, but because some Tories would vote no) but the Tories under Boris would trounce Corbyn in a general election.
Old 2019-06-15, 02:40   Link #1156
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
They might not survive a VoC (not because of the vile DUP, but because some Tories would vote no) but the Tories under Boris would trounce Corbyn in a general election.
I mean is there any reasonably possible way that Corbyn would ever be able to win against the Torries? The man is clearly unfit to be the Labour party leader, how he still retains the position is beyond me.
Old 2019-06-15, 04:10   Link #1157
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I mean is there any reasonably possible way that Corbyn would ever be able to win against the Torries? The man is clearly unfit to be the Labour party leader, how he still retains the position is beyond me.
Yeah, he really showed how he was incapable of leading his party. The government is in shambles and yet Corbyn couldn't grab the chance. He failed to realised that the Opposition is suppose to offer an alternative for those dissatisfied with what the government is selling; by offering the exact same Brexit option, his party gets passed on.
Old 2019-06-15, 05:42   Link #1158
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
No, I don't think there's any Tory leader Corbyn could defeat. But Boris will steal back enough Farage voters that the Tories would probably win a clear majority. Possibly against a soft brexit type like Hunt you might see a hung parliament, with the Brexit party splitting the conservative vote. And if they went total no deal nutjob like Raab, enough Tories would probably defect to the LDs to also make a hung parliament a possibility.

OTOH, if Labour replaced Corbyn tomorrow and unequivocally backed a second referendum with "Remain" as an option, they might stand a chance in a general election.
Old 2019-06-15, 05:54   Link #1159
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
OTOH, if Labour replaced Corbyn tomorrow and unequivocally backed a second referendum with "Remain" as an option, they might stand a chance in a general election.
It confounds me that Labour resists being the Remain party. Sure, some of their old voters might abandon them, but the writing was on the wall that you need to make a decision where your party stands. Pretending that Brexit doesn't actually matter, is just lying to themselves.

Especially since the Tories are now Hard Brexit. There are voters who want to oppose that, and the Opposition could have offered that option. Instead it was left to the minor parties to hold the Remain banner, which is insane.
Old 2019-06-15, 07:18   Link #1160
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Without Scotland, Labour cannot win a general election no matter who is Leader. They lost 40 of their 41 seats in 2015 under Miliband. In 2017 they eked back just six of them. Without some accommodation of the pro-Remain SNP, I don't see a return for Labour in Scotland, and by extension, a return for Labour in the Parliament at Westminster.

A pact among Labour, LibDems, and the SNP might command a majority of the seats. Good luck creating such an entity with Corbyn as Leader. LD and SNP would demand a commitment to Remain as part of any such deal.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2019-06-15 at 07:28.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
politics