2 out of 10: Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10: Painful 8 6.25%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-11-13, 19:47   Link #201
Geass
~Power of the King~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I assume that either they, or the manga made a mistake.
I'm staring at it right now, here's the quote: "Lagrange 3's Krung Thep is the farthest from the moon, so there are no other colonies. There are no neighbors"
Old 2007-11-13, 19:51   Link #202
4Tran

Ah. By "most distant Lagrange Point", I assumed that it was most distant from Earth. If it's the Earth-Moon L3 point, then there'd be absolutely no way to hide it from any country that's even slightly competent.
Old 2007-11-13, 19:56   Link #203
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramuro View Post
Even so Earth-Moon L3 is always visible from Earth and it's only about 384,000 km from LEO. Any decently sized ground telescope would've able to spot a 1 km size object. A telescope like Hubble would've most definitely been able to spot it unless the station is covered with black and infrared absorbing paint.
They mean from the description the Lagrange point on the far side of the moon [L2 IIRC]. The same one Zeon was based at.

Unfortunately that ones moderately popular for parking Telescopes in. Since the Moon helps prevent the Earth from contaminating ones viewings and you get to look in the direction the moon blocks from Earth.

But then all the Lagrange points are good places for putting part of your Distributed array astronomical telescope. [Except possibly L1.] So the Astronomers will pay attention to them
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 20:16   Link #204
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
It's very unlikely that GN particle emission will block infared signals in the slightest. In any case, this wouldn't be of any benefit during the construction process.
Note I posted that CB may have other means other than GN particles. The Gundam's Mothership definetely doesn't emit GN particles to hide itself from the HRA and Union's space forces.

I'm pretty sure Exia's container was being concealed by other means.

Though my question is, is it really that huge of a blip on the sensors/radars?

Given the political instability that followed with the drying up of fossil fuels isn't it possible to simply overlook it? Especially if your focus is not there at that point in time or even looking there at all.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 20:25   Link #205
4Tran

Once it's established that Krung Thep is at the Earth-Moon L3 point, anything to do with building it in secret becomes ridiculously silly. Seriously, only the most incompetent space programs and militaries would fail to notice something like that. And in times of political instability, they'd be even more likely to notice.
Old 2007-11-13, 20:35   Link #206
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
While the Moon is a possibility, any mining operation should have drawn a lot of attention as well. And that's to gloss over the sheer amount of expertise that such a job would require. Mars is right out as a theory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
OK, so first they build a mining operation on the moon, completely unnoticed... Nope, it doesn't solve anything.
If I remember correctly, Aeolia Schuhenburg left Earth to establish a colony on Mars (or somewhere, I don't remember what) like 3 centuries ago, and he could have brought enough equipment with him then to probably start up a viable mining operation.

*shrug* I dunno.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 20:42   Link #207
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Gundam 00 ep 6 rating

Video Research Ltd. has Gundam 00 getting a 5.0% rating last week, making it the 9th most watched anime in Japan.

From gunota
Old 2007-11-13, 20:44   Link #208
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Once it's established that Krung Thep is at the Earth-Moon L3 point, anything to do with building it in secret becomes ridiculously silly. Seriously, only the most incompetent space programs and militaries would fail to notice something like that. And in times of political instability, they'd be even more likely to notice.
They certainly got some explaining to do.

People are tracking small asteroids today, to make sure we don't get surprised by one hitting us. We don't spot them all, but they're generally very dark and small (certainly small relative to a space station). Rather simple to spot something, so long as it reflects at least a bit of sunlight - take some pictures of the same patch of sky and look for differences. Once you find differences, start tracking them to figure out the orbit.

If you magically put a 500m lump of coal in orbit around the moon, it would be found sooner or later with today's technology, I'm pretty sure.

To secretly built a station near the Earth and Moon would require full cloaking - pretty much across the EM spectrum, including any propulsion systems.
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 22:56   Link #209
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Well, the recent release of 00F now fully explains all the discrepancies of Krung Thep's detection, if I got the context right:

It's an asteroid colony.

Spoiler for Refer to this:

Even if the people of Earth do see it... they'll think nothing of it, since it looks like any black rock in space... asides from its orbit

Btw, to get an idea of where the Lagrange points are:

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 23:13   Link #210
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Hmmm that might also explain the resources. Asteroids have large deposits of raw minerals right? They could build the colony using the Asteroid's deposits.

Structure's already there, they just gotta get in there. Resources are on spot. And no one would actually expect an asteroid sustaining a colony. At least no one would investigate or take a closer look at it.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 23:17   Link #211
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Of course Krung Thep is not a down to Earth name... It means "City of Angels"!
well, at least it's as down to Earth as Los Angeles

and City of Angels is a good and proper name for stronghold of Celestial Being
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 23:27   Link #212
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Even if the people of Earth do see it... they'll think nothing of it, since it looks like any black rock in space... asides from its orbit
That's right. It looks just like any other asteroid, except for the rockets to and from it during the construction phase, the emissions it leaks, and the way it manages to keep station in an unstable lagrange point. Moreover, it's a very massive NEO that actually sits inside Moon-orbit, so it'd be watched like a hawk.
Old 2007-11-13, 23:56   Link #213
Jays

Good episode.

I wish they would explain why the cross dresser is such a prick - Tieria. Interesting scenerio between the magical fairy wannabe(Billy) and Sumeragi; I would like to see it develop into something much more.

Patrick Chrysler just seems to me a comedic foil to everyone else. I'm starting to like Graham even more now, furthering my belief that he is Zech' reincarnated.

That little twirp, the "actress", is getting on my nerves. Her an Lacus seem to have many things in common.
Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 00:00   Link #214
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

It's astronomy class time, people. Man, I remember someone did say "It's Gundam forum. You don't even need to go to school if you visit this board everyday" or something like that. Quite true .
Duo Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 00:43   Link #215
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I actually got my Gundam 00 Episode 06 Review up in a reasonable amount of time for once. I like that they introduced some new plot elements into the series, but they didn't really develop on them to much. There were also a number of silly bits to the episode (shopping and such), but overall I think it's an Eight Out Of Ten.

Also Sumeragi has easily become my favourite female Gundam captain now, in that she has a calm maturity and likes the bottle, but doesn't come across as unnecessarily slutty like most of these character archetypes. She's suave and flirtatious with Billy, but in a classy way, even after she's had a lot to drink. She's just a whole lot more interesting then Talia and Murrue were and I kind of liken her to Kate Janeway from Voyager in terms of her character so far.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 01:24   Link #216
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
If I remember correctly, Aeolia Schuhenburg left Earth to establish a colony on Mars (or somewhere, I don't remember what) like 3 centuries ago, and he could have brought enough equipment with him then to probably start up a viable mining operation.

*shrug* I dunno.
First Martian or Space colony in the story of mankind? That sort of thing would be watched, if only with telescopes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Well, the recent release of 00F now fully explains all the discrepancies of Krung Thep's detection, if I got the context right:

It's an asteroid colony.

Spoiler for Refer to this:

What 4Tran said.

Besides, no, you can't build a colony just from the stuff you find there. You'll need to start a mine first, and a refinery for the ore, and you'll still need to bring plenty of stuff you won't find there. (Soil and plants spring to mind, if you want to grow your own food. And the people. Let's not forget the people who have to be brought in. But even if we forget those, I doubt an asteroid can contain everything else that'd be needed to construct a space station.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 01:27   Link #217
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I actually got my Gundam 00 Episode 06 Review up in a reasonable amount of time for once. I like that they introduced some new plot elements into the series, but they didn't really develop on them to much. There were also a number of silly bits to the episode (shopping and such), but overall I think it's an Eight Out Of Ten.

Also Sumeragi has easily become my favourite female Gundam captain now, in that she has a calm maturity and likes the bottle, but doesn't come across as unnecessarily slutty like most of these character archetypes. She's suave and flirtatious with Billy, but in a classy way, even after she's had a lot to drink. She's just a whole lot more interesting then Talia and Murrue were and I kind of liken her to Kate Janeway from Voyager in terms of her character so far.
Well I like Sumeragi's sultry and savvy side with the suddenly hetero Billy, but those 2 things that will remain nameles are kinda distracting the character from what it really can be (Sorry I didn't need to watch the BeBe ep of SP to feel this way^^)

I also want to find out what these auxiliary characters are up to...Like that guy that dresses like Maximillion Pegases from Yugioh (lol) and that green-eyed kid...The camera focused on that kid for a minute which makes me feel like he's gonna play a decent part...As for the silly bits, that's Gundam...That's why I find it kinda strange when people get angry over silly side-character shenagins because that's very consistent with the history of this franchise...

Anyways I pretty much agree with your review, and your assertion that the surface-dwellers see one similarity with a Wing, or with a FMP, and blow it out of proportion to laffable levels...Never for a second have I ever gotten a FMP vibe from anything I saw until I read it here...Kid vs. guy from his past is as cliche as any other cliches you'll find in the mecha genre...When the true nature of their relationship is revealed then we can fawn over it for comparison...
Old 2007-11-14, 01:28   Link #218
osmium
of high density

The only reasonable explanation I can come up with for L3 earth moon... earth sun makes so much more sense, at least from the hiding perspective... for L3 earth moon, the only thing I can think of is that the asteroid was known and *placed* in L3 by powers other than Celestial Being. Perhaps it was placed there because it was in an orbit that might have made it degenerate into a collision at some point, and it was just easier to force it into an orbit? (seems very far fetched, but it *is* gundam). Given that it was placed there, than that means that the only required launch that wasn't noticed would be a launch from the far side of the moon, or an extra little drop ship off of something going to Mars. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to smuggle some gear onto a flight that you have complete control over the payload. Could call it a voyager like satellite, and just have a little C4 on it so after it offloads the cargo detonate it over Mars or something...

I actually really like Dynames design. The whole letting Haro 360 vision control dodging and shield location.

I also think I take a slightly different tack with the whole Exia situation. I think it's a very powerful design, but it's design limits it's role. Clearly it's not a ranged fighter. It is supposed to be the rough and tumble, screw up the enemy's position unit. I think that the other gundams are more likely supposed to be the ones that actually do the damage so to speak, Exia to me appears more to be the one to break the formation. Exia is the skirmisher. Kyrios, blasts all the little ones to bits. So it is the cluster bomb. Virtue incinerates the large / immobile targets. Artillery/ panzer division. And obvious Dynames is the sniper to take out individual targets / things that get past / be the long range support. Now outside of these roles obviously particular units will be less than optimally useful. I think that Setsuna definitely needs some more polish to his skills... but seriously he's SO young (yes I know gundam standard), which means even if his reactions are incredibly fast, he might not have the wisdom that older more veteran fighters would.

/babble mode
-O
osmium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 02:03   Link #219
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Well I like Sumeragi's sultry and savvy side with the suddenly hetero Billy, but those 2 things that will remain nameles are kinda distracting the character from what it really can be (Sorry I didn't need to watch the BeBe ep of SP to feel this way^^)

I also want to find out what these auxiliary characters are up to...Like that guy that dresses like Maximillion Pegases from Yugioh (lol) and that green-eyed kid...The camera focused on that kid for a minute which makes me feel like he's gonna play a decent part...As for the silly bits, that's Gundam...That's why I find it kinda strange when people get angry over silly side-character shenagins because that's very consistent with the history of this franchise...

Anyways I pretty much agree with your review, and your assertion that the surface-dwellers see one similarity with a Wing, or with a FMP, and blow it out of proportion to laffable levels...Never for a second have I ever gotten a FMP vibe from anything I saw until I read it here...Kid vs. guy from his past is as cliche as any other cliches you'll find in the mecha genre...When the true nature of their relationship is revealed then we can fawn over it for comparison...
I think the whole Sumeragi Breast fixation is more blown out of proportion then the FMP/Wing comparisons at the moment. I still don't see why people are making such a huge deal over the scene. It passed by me on my first viewing as barely being worth a note or mention. It was like "huh, she's wearing a low cut shirt, that's kind of hot, moving on now". Especially since I was so eager for the actual big conflict they'd been building up to to actually get underway. I find the whole fixation on that one 5 second sequence very regrettable as it's so not even worth the time to focus on. If they wanted to make a big deal out of Sumeragi's breasts then they probably would have had her jiggle a bit like with Meer, but that was just a close up (one that was a profile shot and not gratuitous) of a rather low cut shirt she has worn once, and was probably tricked into wearing by Christina anway. I barely consider it fanservice and rank it on maybe a 2/10 on the service shot-o-meter, with Wang's outfit in the first episode being about a 8/10.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 03:06   Link #220
U<3Anime
Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post

Exactly...... The comparisons are overblown and to the point where it's just stretching it. There's also people complaining realism in a gundam show which is just silly ( Already adressed that in the last page). It's like they don't even want to like it and are just trying to rip this series apart whenever they can.(Common, people were already ripping it apart back in episode 3 or 4. That was like still in the introductory phase and now we're just starting to leave that phase). Seriously for those who are not enjoying it, just drop the show for now. Pick it back up later when it get's more interesting or forget about it if it doesn't.

As for my actual impression of the episode, I'll be honest and it was kind of boring. The thing that bothers me the most is how the episode is executed. It felt way too similar to episode 2 from beginning to the end. Especially how the new ace(Ali) shows up near the end(like what Granham did) and surprises Setsuna. Another gripe i have with this is episode, is how the much the grunts were dumbed down. All the Tierens just stands there and let Dynames take them down one by one. They didn't even try to move or go for melee. It's like they just gave up after Dynames blocked a few shots with it's shield. :/ It just totally gave me the Seed vibe again. *shudders*

Those are my only gripes for the episode i guess. Sumeragi cleavage is not as distracting as most people claim it to be. If you want a real example of "IN YOUR FACE" cleavage then you should watch Dragonaut where those boobs really distracts the show. Furthermore, after writing my impression, I can understand why some people are not enjoying the show. The pacing is repetitive and I can understand that, but i do not like how people are complaining the plot is poor when we are only 6 episodes in. There are 50 episodes planned after all, so there's still a long way to go and lot's of improvements can be made. I'll probably give it like 10 more episodes before I even start judging the series. Since, I read the summaries for the next few episodes and it sounds like plot is finally going to pick up. If I'm not mistaken, we're most likely going to starting entering our first major arc in episode 8. Give it more times guys, well at least up to ep 12 before even bashing it(or dropping it). >_>

Last edited by U<3Anime; 2007-11-14 at 04:13.
U<3Anime is offline   Reply With Quote