AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-19, 14:39   Link #21
ani_d

I tried watching Kaze no Yojimbo -_- If I were new to anime and I was exposed to it, I really will hate it even more lol I think it has the potential to be a good show though, it's just the first episode bored me to death. The same as Monster. The art quality would turn me off even before I get to see how good it is.

I still say Death Note. The best way to hook someone with anime is through the high quality animation. In other words, good-looking characters lol Atleast that's how I got hooked in the first place, and that's coming from a lady's POV. ^_^

Last edited by ani_d; 2008-02-20 at 03:26.
Old 2008-02-19, 15:25   Link #22
Rayneing
Trombe!

But... Monster doesn't have bad animation. And I don't know, Death Note seems way too EPIC for someone new to anime, which is why I think Paranoia Agent and Monster are good choices, because they are more like the stuff you would be used to.
Old 2008-02-19, 15:26   Link #23
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeStone View Post
This is the thing . . she HATES anime. She's quite the close-minded person. The reason she's watching this is because I made a deal with her. So this is my one shot to get her hooked. If she doesn't like it, probability is high that she won't ever try it again. I'll watch through most of the suggestions.
If that's the case, I'm not sure trying the mine the shallow vein of mystery anime is necessarily your best strategy. Like Saber Cherry, I think you may be setting yourself up for a fall.

Of course, no one here has any clue about your wife's tastes, other than "mystery," but might I suggest you consider some shows outside that genre as well? These are shows I think might appeal to adult women for a variety of reasons.

First, there's the feminist-influenced fantasy Asian shows like Junni Kokki ("Twelve Kingdoms"), Saiunkoku Monogatari, and Seirei no Moribito ("Guardian of the Sacred Spirit"). All three showcase strong female characters in excellent costume dramas. Though all three stories take place in fantasy Asian empires that look rather like China, they share a modern, feminist sensibility. Rather than recounting the stories here, I'll point you to my signature which contains the links to their Wikipedia pages. All three are licensed, though only Junni Kokki is currently complete on R1 DVDs. The others belong to Geneon USA who are no longer distributing anime directly into R1.

Next, how about an office "slice-of-life" comedy/drama about a 28-yo woman trying to succeed as an editor in a Japanese publishing house? That's Hataraki Man. It's unlicensed and includes one of my top-two female seiyuu performances of 2006, Tanaka Rie's rich portrayal of the main character, Hiroko. I can't imagine how any woman who's worked in a male-dominated office won't have something in common with Hiro-san. This show has a few underlying plot themes, but it's largely episodic. I find it's easier to "sell" an episodic series to anime novices because those shows require a much lower commitment of time and attention than do multi-week series.

Finally, how about Nodame Cantabile? It's a delightful mix of classical music, romantic comedy, and personal drama set in a college-level music academy. The characters are young adults with mature sensibilities, all trying to pursue careers in professional music. There are no mysteries in NC, except the mysteries of life. It's also still, remarkably to my mind, unlicensed.

Edit: I'd also try a couple of episodes of Bartender unless she's an absolute tee-totaller. You can browse the episode list at Wikipedia and pick a couple that seem interesting or just start from the beginning (however episode one is rather slow). My favorite is episode two which tells the story of that pig-tailed little girl at the end of my signature.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-02-19 at 15:41.
Old 2008-02-19, 15:36   Link #24
Practical joke
...completely lost it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayneing View Post
Death Note seems way too EPIC for someone new to anime, which is why I think Paranoia Agent and Monster are good choices, because they are more like the stuff you would be used to.
I do agree on this one..

If you'd start showing death note to her, most of the other anime, if that ever happens, she'll watch might be dissapointing.
Old 2008-02-19, 15:38   Link #25
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

There is not one thing called "anime" for her to hate. She probably thinks of the stereotypical "big-eye" anime like Pokemon or the ecchi/hentai stuff like Tengou tenge.

Even if she hates anime, she'll be drawn into the story of Monster or Seirei No Moribito, and neither the stereotypical anime graphics or ecchi-factor will be there to get in the way of enjoying them.
Old 2008-02-19, 15:44   Link #26
Diodati
The very united ACROSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
If that's the case, I'm not sure trying the mine the shallow vein of mystery anime is necessarily your best strategy. Like Saber Cherry, I think you may be setting yourself up for a fall.
I think BladeStone's wife chose mystery - probably as part of their deal. To be honest, I don't think there is any point concentrating about winning her over per se. If she's 'determined' to be close-minded then BladeStone could show her anything and she might not like it.

So I would simply just show her something good - with a story/characters that you think will appeal to her the most.

In fact BladeStone, if she chose mystery, then why don't you go to her with a few choices from this thread - explain and show her the variety of whats to offer (even within the mystery sense) - and let her choose based on her preference/taste.

That way if she doesn't like it, you can blame her heh!
Old 2008-02-19, 15:59   Link #27
Slice of Life
eyewitness

I would second most things SeijiSensei said in his last post except 12 Kingdoms which I haven't seen and Saiunkoku, because it's a (reverse) harem, and your wife might be repelled by the bishounen parade orbiting around the lead character.

I don't know how old you and your wife are but Seirei no Moribito works for mid-thirty-ish, relatively anime-unexperienced people (admittedly not uptight) and I can't recall anything typically anime in there that could put off the anime noob. You could call it mystery ... by a stretch.
Old 2008-02-19, 16:16   Link #28
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
If she really needs some sort of connection to the usual American way of doing series, you could give Cowboy Bebop a try. Its episodic style will probably attract a casual watcher much more than a regular series which needs you to focus on the storyline and pay lots of attention to it. Granted, Cowboy Bebop's style is not very anime-ish, but it's anime after all. It's not very deep in the mystery element, but it's very enjoyable nonetheless.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2008-02-19, 18:06   Link #29
BladeStone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diodati View Post
I think BladeStone's wife chose mystery - probably as part of their deal. To be honest, I don't think there is any point concentrating about winning her over per se. If she's 'determined' to be close-minded then BladeStone could show her anything and she might not like it.
That's correct. That was part of the deal -- she got to pick the genre. On that note, the reason I say she's closed minded is that she doesn't believe that anything animated can have any serious quality (emotionally, narratively, etc.) to it. She wouldn't give any of them a chance until now.
Old 2008-02-19, 20:46   Link #30
blewin

Quote:
That's correct. That was part of the deal -- she got to pick the genre. On that note, the reason I say she's closed minded is that she doesn't believe that anything animated can have any serious quality (emotionally, narratively, etc.) to it. She wouldn't give any of them a chance until now.
if she doesn't mind traditional Japanese setting, then Mushishi would blow her away. It is episodic. It uses a mixture of folklores to create an atmosphere that (though commonly recognisable) transcends banality. It's mysterious, melancholy yet soothing and peaceful. It uses heavy symbolism in the interaction between Mushi and people to bring out the wisdom of life that the artist has observed. For example, one of the episodes tells the story of a seaside village where:

Spoiler for Mushishi episode:

Mushishi employs vivid, beautiful animation and mysterious yet curious music, as of a child searching, about to make an amazing discovery. That discovery, conveyed through the banality of non-exaggerated actions, sometimes involves subtle humour. Slow-paced, yet engaging with a transcendent quality, it's a wonderful anime that observes, rather than teaches the discoveries of life's journey, and, Ginko, every protagonist of each individual story, and the viewers, are the participants of each discovery.

Each episode arouses a sense of loss and hope. It's emotionally evocative and thought-provoking.
Old 2008-02-19, 21:28   Link #31
Freeze

Okay well BladeStone, if your wife really hates anime, then I suggest showing her a mystery anime that will get her hooked with the first couple of episodes. Death Note is the only one that comes to mind but there is also Monster, the only problem though is that with Monster it goes a little slow during the first couple of episodes but really picks up once Dr.Tenma's on the run.
Old 2008-02-19, 21:42   Link #32
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
I would very, very much consider Death Note, though it isn't a conventional "mystery" persay. The fact that it's broadcasted on American television shows that it's had a lot of positive response from the American public (though I'm generalising, trends outside Japan tend to be universal, the United States including.)
I also know of many people who generally don't watch a great deal of anime who enjoyed Death Note.

Continuing, as for the "serious quality" you speak of, when March comes by, take her to a movie theatre and watch 5 Centimetres per Second, I'm quite positive that she'll be impressed.
Old 2008-02-19, 22:38   Link #33
Un1234l

Although the only "mystery" anime I've seen are the Higurashi series (and i got hooked), I would recommend AGAINST letting her watch it. For the following reasons:

- She'll get a bad first impression about anime being only blood and gore/random killings (You wouldn't want that now would you?)
- The sensitivity of depicting children killing/being killed (Wouldn't want that either... no siree!)

It's not something someone like her (according to your description) would appreciate, really (YET). So for now, let her watch Death Note. Although I've never seen it, I know a couple of people who never watched anime (or as much as I do) and who like it. It is almost a guarantee that she will like it, or will be persuaded to like it (peer pressure ftw! manipulates her mind). And like qtipbrit92 said,
Quote:
The fact that it's broadcasted on American television shows that it's had a lot of positive response from the American public
I agree 100% on that.

Give her some time watching Death Note (to build suspense), and then recommend some (ecchi-free) romance shows. That's sure to get her to like anime.
Old 2008-02-19, 23:00   Link #34
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un1234l View Post
(peer pressure ftw! manipulates her mind). And like qtipbrit92 said,

I agree 100% on that.

Give her some time watching Death Note (to build suspense), and then recommend some (ecchi-free) romance shows. That's sure to get her to like anime.
People agreeing with me is always welcome, very much so.
And I'm quite sure its proven that first impressions, previous thoughts, etc. affect one's perception of things (AP Psychology?), so I would recommend showing her some of Death Note's ratings and such, and maybe having someone close, or yourself, tell her how good it is (because it is.)
Again, 5 Centimetres per Second is a wonderful non-ecchi, not heavily romantic so as to disrupt your viewing pleasure if either you or your wife aren't particulary keen on romance, and is a very realistic, touching, and somewhat depressing view on life from the director heralded as the next Hayao Miyazaki (though I've actually heard of some younger anime fans [of my age or so] refer to Miyazaki as the old Makoto Shinkai.)
Old 2008-02-20, 01:37   Link #35
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

As good as Death Note is, it is a series greatly focused at the 15-20 teen male population, and it makes clear and direct attacks at what many people consider common sense and established morals. Without further information about how well she would react to such an event, I think a more neutral show, albeit with strong characters and history like Seirei no Moribito or Juuni Kokki would fare better, albeit they kinda fail on the mistery department.
Old 2008-02-20, 04:26   Link #36
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
kaze no yojimbo is the choice imo.
monster is a very good choice too but it might be a bit too long for her to stay focuse.
death note without being a bad choice requiere from the viewer to accept supernatural event in order to get into the story, so if it s the first time for your wife to watch anime it might be a bit too much, not to mention the main character even though he is charismatic is a totally despitable person.
kaze no yojimbo is a 24 episodes serie iirc so there is little chance it will start wearing on your wife's patience.
Old 2008-02-20, 11:08   Link #37
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Practical joke View Post
I do agree on this one..

If you'd start showing death note to her, most of the other anime, if that ever happens, she'll watch might be dissapointing.
But then again this almost always the case when you are trying to introduce someone to a genre or medium, you have to show them something that's pure quality, to make them see some of the best features of this genre/medium. I got addicted to anime by watching FMP:Fumoffu and Noir and they remain my favourite comedy and action/drama respectively to this day which does not stop me from enjoying other series of inferior quality.

Anyway, dunno about the OP's wife but I for one will check out Kaze no Yojimbo, so thanks to the peopel who recommended it.

I still think Monster is a better choice than Death Note as it less "animeish", so to speak and even though childhood is a very important theme in it, the vast majority of the cast are adults. Maybe the original poster can strike a deal with his wife to watch only the first major story arc which is about the length of a single season and continue only if the wife likes it.

Quote:
She'll get a bad first impression about anime being only blood and gore/random killings
Random killings? You mean like the hundred of those in the first episode of Death Note?

Old 2008-02-20, 14:37   Link #38
BladeStone

Yes, I've seen 'When They Cry' . It's way too 'horror' for her. She'd dislike it.

I've seen Death Note. While I'm considering it, I thought it was a great show up until the second arc where (IMO) the series sinks into a hole. If I let her watch it, I don't think I'd let her watch it past the 11th or so episode unless she really wanted.

Monster may be too lengthy, unless it's a 'need to know what happens next' type of anime.

Bacanno! is a bit on the confusing side on a first watch through and a bit 'out of there'. I loved it, but I don't think she would.

Everything else that I'm not commenting on I haven't seen (and will) or hasn't been commented on enough.

Oh . . and thanks for the suggestions! Feel free to keep them coming. I have a list that I'm going to watch to 'preview' them.
Old 2008-02-20, 16:32   Link #39
Saber Cherry
Marionette

I already implied this, but... First impressions are critical.

If I were you, I would hold out for an (all-ages-acceptable) masterpiece like like Mononoke Hime or Seirei no Moribito. After all, you will be interested in anime for years to come; thus you have no time pressure. So why not wait to show her something until she capitulates on the 'must be mystery' term? As for Mononoke Hime, I'm sure most people who are skeptical about anime would rather watch a movie of random genre than an entire season of a specified genre. On the other hand... my mom fell asleep when I tried to show her Mononke Hime. This was in the middle of the day, with daylight streaming in the windows, with 6 other people present But on the other hand, my mom also fell asleep during Star Wars in an actual theater. At any rate... I think if a person is determined to remain dismissive toward something, then they will, no matter what. But if they might actually accept something, it is your responsibility to present them with the best possible chance, regardless of random uninformed demands they might make.

P.S. As for Monster - if it was well-executed for its entire duration, I would recommend it, despite the length. But... it isn't
There are also possibilities like Gakuen Alice and Card Captor Sakura. But, of course, the characters are all children. So on a superficial level they appeal to children... but if you have not seen them, I highly recommend that you do, because they are very good - much like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, which is normally considered as "for children", yet Mozart found it quite intriguing.

Last edited by Saber Cherry; 2008-02-20 at 16:50.
Old 2008-02-20, 17:00   Link #40
Freeze

Is your wife like one of those people who are very stereotypical of anime? like does she think that anime is mainly for kids since it is a cartoon/animation, and does she think that anime is nothing but pure fighting with girls in short skirts? and if she isn't then I apologize, its just that its really hard to get someone who is very stereotypical of anime to actually like it or atleast watch it. Anyways like I said before if you want an anime that will literally get her hooked then I suggest Death Note especially the dub, I don't think she'll like the sub all too much and the dub is just amazing, now granted the second arc is kind of meh... I liked it since Light and L were wroking together but thats just me, but anyways if she gets really hooked to the series then she'll probably want to see the rest of the show. Monster does seem lengthy, but if you could get her to watch maybe 2 episodes at a time then I think she'll also get hooked since that show is really good and reall mature, theres none of that stupid cute/otaku crap in that show. And if she can stand the slow-pace and the lack of a constant plot, not to say the show is bad but it just doesn't have much of a constant plot in each ep but every episode is really well done, its called Mushi-shi.
Closed Thread

Tags
wife