AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-06-24, 19:17   Link #81
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Yeah, I wasn't really sure either, but that doctor + surgery room scene was pretty dark for a light and fluffy series like Petopeto-san.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-24, 20:01   Link #82
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart
Yeah, I wasn't really sure either, but that doctor + surgery room scene was pretty dark for a light and fluffy series like Petopeto-san.
Fluffy, maybe, but not entirely light: racial prejudice dividing families, crime, violence, a fight to the death, the possibility of the heroine simply fading away, poverty and hunger, loss of a parent, the potential disappearance of the other parent, etc., etc. All done in charmingly fluffy way.

Thanks to the discussion here, I rewatched ep1 and fell in love with Ueda Kana all over again. Yumi to Petoko to Hazumu.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-24, 21:08   Link #83
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I agree, I definitely wouldn't call this show light. Kind of a stealth weapon - lots of serious discourse and angst couched in astonishingly cute clothing.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-24, 23:52   Link #84
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I love shows that slip lots of seriousness under the radar in disguise. I wonder if the target audience noticed the correlation between the attitudes on "specified races" and the treatment of certain classes of resident aliens in some sectors of Japan.

... now hoping for a Sahara figure to follow up the Petoko+Choco set (which I passed on).
Old 2006-06-25, 09:35   Link #85
Furudanuki

It is a bit of a relief to see that I'm not the only person who was unsure about the scene with the doctors. I was starting to worry that the accumulated brain cell losses from my youth were becoming a factor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I love shows that slip lots of seriousness under the radar in disguise. I wonder if the target audience noticed the correlation between the attitudes on "specified races" and the treatment of certain classes of resident aliens in some sectors of Japan.
Given the social issues that the writers used as a core conflict element in this series, I can't help but think that the looming extinction of the ero-monsters in the anime is linked to the fact that the birthrate in real-world Japan has dropped below the population replacement level.
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 14:42   Link #86
guenthar

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-27, 18:05   Link #87
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

ah.. that makes some sense. I guess the blades and stuff threw me off but I figured some of that was through the eyes of a young child.
Old 2006-10-25, 03:16   Link #88
NeoSam

I just rewatched the hall show, and rediscovered how much I love this show

Ahh >.< Petoko is so moe~ >.<

I totally love this show, and YUG is the best hopefully more manga/light novels from him will get animated
Old 2007-04-11, 00:13   Link #89
Calca
Expressionless

I wish more of this was made
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 00:31   Link #90
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

If you liked this show and can take a more shoujo version of it, try out the new show Hitohira. It is made by the same staff that made PetoPeto-san, and has the same sweetness about it. No YUG, and maybe not so much moe...but some, for sure. And it has Kawasumi Ayako at her best, along with some nice young seiyuu.

EDIT: One other thing Hitohira has is the VA who voiced the wonderful Sahara, Miyagawa Miho. She does a fine job as the heroine's best friend.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-04-11 at 10:49.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 00:31   Link #91
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

No disagreement there ... I liked the premise, much of the humor (using the river kappa crossed with a yakuza family motif), the musical scoring. It only had a few flaws and a small derail but otherwise was a win for me.

Already off to see what hitohira has to offer if I can get time to actually watch it
Old 2007-04-11, 11:17   Link #92
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Hmmm, interesting I"ll check out Hitohira later. Too bad YUG didn't make any other manga, I would love to see any of his other works animated.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 13:48   Link #93
mdauben

Unhappy

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I just watched the last episode of Petopeto-san this morning. Overall, I found it a nice, warm-hearted little romance (albiet with some deeper themes), except for one thing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart View Post
Well the final episode salvaged it somewhat, and brought it back to what this anime was originally about. Enjoy the ending to this short sweet series.
I don't know, I actually found the ending rather sad (which was a disappointment to me).

Spoiler for Ending:

Last edited by mdauben; 2007-10-06 at 15:06.
mdauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 19:57   Link #94
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Topped, just because. Because I was thinking about it recently, when I stumbled across the ED on my MP3 player. Because in case anyone hasn't watched this gem, they need to get with it already. Because once the bi-dongs start, there's no going back. Just because!
Old 2010-03-08, 21:37   Link #95
Keshi

Resurrection!

Truly enjoyed this one. As it seems to have been with others, the show ending was saddening, but I'm fine with it all.
We sedduam'el gefaryr'ti ym so ym jolmey'el.
Lan tusea'el arhemdas, rylsay'el tola defa'el kyapi ryalk'i.
Iyamla, soiura tola posyl hu'el r,
Ylunaylkaen pralur'el redayna yen'a mahem lan.
Desayn ym clun'el baedfa to,
Ym rylsay'kes ayratola'lo yare sarynu ym'a.
Keshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 01:38   Link #96
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I have the OST... about 5 or 6 of the tracks stay on my playlist.
Great idea for a story, nice bit of subversive commentary on racism in Japan, loved the handling of the kappa people in particular, too bad they derailed a few episodes from the primary plot in a short series but overall I enjoyed the series a lot. Rooted for Sahara to no avail

This series (and others in that time period) will probably never get licensed as it came out before the R1 distributors started paying much attention to the less "in your face" romance stories.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-03-10 at 22:45.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 21:16   Link #97
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

A true classic, well worth remembering and re-discovering.
Old 2010-03-10, 07:20   Link #98
qwertyuiopz

i stalled it at ep1 since i was watching too many...dunno if i should continue or drop it
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 18:41   Link #99
Keshi

If ya can't get it do to too many shows, put it on the queue!
We sedduam'el gefaryr'ti ym so ym jolmey'el.
Lan tusea'el arhemdas, rylsay'el tola defa'el kyapi ryalk'i.
Iyamla, soiura tola posyl hu'el r,
Ylunaylkaen pralur'el redayna yen'a mahem lan.
Desayn ym clun'el baedfa to,
Ym rylsay'kes ayratola'lo yare sarynu ym'a.
Keshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-10, 02:39   Link #100
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Just picked this series up from a recommendation of another animesuki member who was comparing and contrasting it to Inu x Boku. I have watched the first 2 eps and it is quite good and kind of ... well, wacky and odd I guess - but in a good way.

Tags
comedy, drama, fantasy, romance, shounen