AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-08, 13:44   Link #1
marvelB

General Zoan Discussion Thread (manga)

I figured that we should have threads devoted to the three seperate types of Devil Fruit, and I decided to start off with the one that's recently caught my interest the most..... Zoans.

As we know, Zoan fruits allow the user to transform into animals or certain hybrids, depending on the user (which doesn't necessarily have to be human, or even a living organism for that matter). However, aside from a few exceptions, Zoans haven't really shown any outstanding features to truly make them a unique class of their own, especially compared to Paramecias and Logias. However, recent events in the series have changed that......

But first, I should mention that the first time we've really heard anything unique about Zoans is when Pell explained that his falcon fruit was only one of five types of flying powers (which means it's possible that it may be the only flying Zoan, but I doubt it). Secondly, we saw how Chopper transformed into a huge, powerful monstrocity after overdosing on Rumble Balls.

But as I said, it wasn't until recently that we really started to see the evolution of Zoans. In the Sabaody arc, the Supernova X Drake reveals that he can transform into a dinosaur. We then find out that he possesses what's known as an "Ancient" Zoan. Then, we get an even bigger surprise in the current storyline when we learn that the guardian beasts of Impel Down are all "Awakened" Zoans, which most likely means that they are Zoans who've awakened their latent abilities from deep within (and could mean that Chopper's Monster Point is his "Awakened" power.....). So as we can see, Zoans went from being the least remarkable DF type to possibly the most mysterious so far. I'm really looking forward to seeing how far Oda will expand upon Zoan powers from this point onward.....

So, feel free to talk about anything Zoan here!
Old 2009-07-08, 16:54   Link #2
james0246

I have to say, I have always been impressed with Oda's ability to make even seemingly inconsequential abilities uber powerful, but I was always a little upset at how weak Zoans appeared compared to the truly unique powers of the Paramecia and the overwhelmingly powerful Logias. Thankful, as you say MarvelB, Oda has finally started to address that point and has started to up the ante on just what a Zoan can do or can be. I eagerly await future developments, and, I still have some minor hope that the last Admiral or at least one of the Yonkou could be a truly awe inspiring Zoan user.
Old 2009-07-08, 19:55   Link #3
ellifeedn
Thinker

Allow me to, again, express my dissapointment that there are currently no bug/insect/creepy-crawly zoans. While there are supposed biological reasons why there aren't any , I still hope Oda will introduce something.

On a different note, I wonder if there will be any aquatic animal fruits. It's unlikely, I know, but you never know.
Old 2009-07-09, 11:38   Link #4
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I eagerly await future developments, and, I still have some minor hope that the last Admiral or at least one of the Yonkou could be a truly awe inspiring Zoan user.

Yeah, I remember me and some others were saying something along these lines in the chapter 548 thread. I definitely agree that we need to see a Zoan who can rival a Logia in strength. It would most certainly be awesome if Kaidou or the unknown Yonkou were a powerful Zoan user. If not, then let's hope that there's one amongst the other "silver medalists".......

And yes, I expect to see bug/arachnid Zoans appear in the series at some point. While it would obviously be cool to see something like spider, scorpion, or praying mantis DF users, I'm actually hoping for something more.... unorthodox. For instance, I mentioned the idea of a dung beetle or cockroach Zoan in the 548 thread. I'm also rather interested in seeing how Oda would handle a butterfly/moth user, as well (could they transform between their larval and adult stages at will?)....
Old 2009-07-09, 12:06   Link #5
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I was discussing with my brother on the Zoans used by the Awakened guardians.

Minozebra most probably is a model of the horse, Minotaurus would be a cow model. Minorhinoceros could be a rhino model. But Minokoala should be a Marsupial model, meaning put together with kangaroos and wombats lol

So far most Zoans are Mammals, there's 1 Bird and 3 Reptiles, Anaconda, King Cobra and the unidentified Dinosaur.

Seeing that Oda does draw Insects and Arachnids from time to time, he may eventually come up with Insect and Arachnid Zoans. Imagine a Dragonfly man, he would be extremely fast and agile, or a heavily armoured beetle man. A spider man who can spin webs and inject venom, or an aggressive scorpion man.

The one thing I really want to see is Awakened Ancient Zoans though lol
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-07-09, 12:07   Link #6
Blaine

I wonder if there will ever be fish based zoans also would they be able to swim?
Old 2009-07-09, 12:14   Link #7
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
I wonder if there will ever be fish based zoans also would they be able to swim?
Personally I don't think there will be Fish Zoans for 2 reasons.

First is that it will go against the Devil Fruit rule of weakening by water.

The second is that I think Oda has the Fishman and Mermaid races to make up for Fish Zoans.

Old 2009-07-09, 13:11   Link #8
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
A spider man who can spin webs
....any size, catches thieves just like flies. Look out! Here comes the Spider-Maaaaan!

...Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Anyways, while I definitely wouldn't expect any fish Zoans to appear, I still kinda think that ones based off marine mammals are still possible. Y'know, like maybe walrus, manatee or sea lion Zoans (they just wouldn't be able to swim, though....). I'm also wondering if we may even see Zoans based off cetaceans (whales and dolphins), since they were once land-dwelling animals in the past, as well. Maybe as Ancient Zoans, perhaps....?
Old 2009-07-11, 06:18   Link #9
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

About Ancient Zoans, we'll probably see a Triceratops and whatever Dinosaur that appeared on Little Garden.

I wonder if there are Zoans of the weird animals of the One Piece world lol

Rabbit Fruit Model: Lapahn.

Cetacean Fruit Model: Kung Fu Dugongs.

Old 2009-07-11, 10:46   Link #10
Prestige

For exceptional strong martial artist who is specialized for unarmed combat the Zoan fruit would be most convienent power up.

There are some nice paramecias who suit for strong fighters well such Luffy's gomu-gomu rubber power. But paramecias are quite unpredictable and random also unless you have 100% identification of fruit you might get something extremely special power such as Brookes 'life' fruit, magnetic fruit or Buggys split fruit, though those fruits have their uses it can be difficult to get full advantage of them in straighforward combat.

Zoans enchant fighters excisting values, for average human who eats leopard fruit he becomes quite strong, but for Lucci who already is superhuman strong eats leopard fruit, he gets his powers multiplied becoming horribly strong.

Enies Lobby gave us good glimpse how benefical can zoans be for martial arts fighters.

Buggys power allow him to get sliced and his body might split for 20 meter radius and thats it. It gives him instantly nice boost of power but it doesnt get more powerful after gaining it initially.

Zoans scale with user, if you get more stronger and more faster then you you will be much more powerful and faster after zoan transformation.

Zoans also seem to have atleast 3 diffrent phases of transformation.

1. Human with some fruit animal properties

2. Human-animal hybrid

3. Animal form with some human properties

But with some drugs and medicines such as Choppers rumble balls you can allow to call even more forms for more special uses.

Zoan is basically enhancing/reinforcment power gives lets say 100% boost for your physical powers.

If your basic strenght is 5 then your zoan transformation strenght is 10.

But if your basic strenght is 200 then you get strength of 400, well 100% might be way off but its basic image of it.

There still remains exceptions, some paramecias are more better for fighter than some zoans but generally zoans are best suited for fighters.

I think if Sanji would HAVE to get some fruit then Zoan would be best for his fighting style (unless he gets bird-power then he is quite f*cked ).
Old 2009-07-11, 15:10   Link #11
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

About the Zoan fruit power scaling issue: It's relatively obvious that a Lion Lion man would be stronger in general than a Bird Bird man.

A small contribution I have: it would be cool if the Zoan user were able to gain one or two properties from the animal in their fruit. For example, a Dog Dog man having a heightened sense of smell, etc.

Chopper did state that Predator class Zoans have heightened bloodthirst, for example. It would be nice to eat a Bat Bat fruit, and gain Echolocation. I would eat that if I could.

And not that I'm much into vampire culture or whatever, but my Half-Zoan form would be pretty awesome.

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Old 2009-07-11, 20:05   Link #12
ellifeedn
Thinker

Knock-off of Batman?
Old 2009-07-12, 09:39   Link #13
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Think Dante, with claws and wings ^_^. Oh, and some killer fangs, too.

The full Bat form would look lame. Bats are ugly. But the half-form would just be nothing short of awesome.

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Old 2009-07-17, 21:55   Link #14
chopperman

I think chopper is the best zoan type though
Old 2009-08-01, 15:57   Link #15
marvelB

Y'know, there's something that's been confusing me for a while, now...... during the Skypiea arc, we learn that Gan Fall's bird ate the horse fruit, but it never had a specific model, which would imply that it was the only horse fruit in existence. Even back when I first read through the storyline that struck me as a bit odd, since there's many different breeds of horses, which could have worked as different "models" for that type of fruit. Heck, Oda could have even included donkies and mules into the mix (since they're pretty closely related to horses, anyhow). And so, several storylines later we see that one of the guardian beasts of Impel Down is an Awakened "minozebra" Zoan, which makes me bring up this point: Wouldn't the zebra count as a "model" of the horse fruit? We've seen different models of the dog and cow fruits that even include domestic breeds, so I don't see why the same shouldn't hold true for the horse, as well. Methinks Oda should address this issue in an SBS or something, lest he opens up a potential plot hole......
Old 2009-08-01, 16:01   Link #16
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk
Is Your Daddy & Its True

You can search Equidae on Google.
Horses and Zebras are seen as related but not the same.
So a Zebra or donkey wouldn't necessarily classify as a horse model.
Old 2009-08-01, 17:58   Link #17
marvelB

^Giraffes are distantly related to domestic cattle, yet that still didn't stop Oda from lumping the giraffe in the same category as the rest of the cow fruits.

Anyways, I'd also like to see some rodent Zoans. Sure, mouse/rat fruits are the more obvious choices, but I'd like to see Oda come up with something a little less distinguishable, like a capybara Zoan (which would be as cute as a button until it reveals its Awakened state! ). I'm also kinda interested in seeing how Oda would handle a lemming Zoan, as well (would the user continuously leap off cliffs and other tall surfaces for no apparent reason? ). And for some reason, I could imagine a flying squirrel Zoan user being a good opponent for Zoro.....
Old 2009-08-01, 19:22   Link #18
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Anyways, I'd also like to see some rodent Zoans. Sure, mouse/rat fruits are the more obvious choices, but I'd like to see Oda come up with something a little less distinguishable, like a capybara Zoan (which would be as cute as a button until it reveals its Awakened state! ). I'm also kinda interested in seeing how Oda would handle a lemming Zoan, as well (would the user continuously leap off cliffs and other tall surfaces for no apparent reason? ). And for some reason, I could imagine a flying squirrel Zoan user being a good opponent for Zoro.....
What about a rabbit zoan? For some reason rabbits are considered to be rodents.
Old 2009-08-01, 19:25   Link #19
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk
Is Your Daddy & Its True

Quote:
^Giraffes are distantly related to domestic cattle, yet that still didn't stop Oda from lumping the giraffe in the same category as the rest of the cow fruits.
O
Well I tried.
Lol.
Guess Oda didn't think it through or maybe he doesn't plan to use any other horse in the storyline.

Quote:
I wonder what would a Roach Zoan-user look like. Don't wanna have one of those on your ship (Lol).

How would a Flying Squirrel Zoan be a good opponent for Zoro?

I wonder if Oda plans on introducing another Rare Zoan-Type or a Mystical Zoan-type like a Dragon or some sort.
That would be cool, depending on where Oda would pull his influences (like Chinese Culture), a Dragon-Zoan would be extremely powerful.

Something (a thought) just occurred to me.
What if Monkey D. Dragon IS actually a Dragon-Zoan?!
Don't Dragon's have some kind of control/influence of weather in Chinese culture??
If this is the case, this would be a monumental development for Zoans

Last edited by AddiKtioNn-BlaCk; 2009-08-02 at 18:21.
Old 2009-08-07, 01:38   Link #20
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Imagine if Joz's fruit was actually a diamond logia. His finger nails and hair would be worth millions!