AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-25, 18:48   Link #61
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Is it just me or does Ichika have the most useless IS ever? He's got one short-ranged weapon in a sea of long-ranged fighters. The battles consist of him dodging bullets for 1/2 the time and chasing the opponent around for the other half.
It's not his IS, it's him. Look at his onee-sama who used the same weapon. I think the difference is clear.

Quote:
I also don't get what the harem sees in him. He doesn't do ANYTHING. He loses--a lot-- and says a few nice words here and there. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that he's the only guy in an all girl's school, I doubt anyone would even give him a second glance. It's kind of like a woman going into a man's prison-- doesn't matter what she looks like or how she acts, she's still a woman.
Cecilia and Laura in particular are ridiculous in the way they got to like him and suddenly changed their attitude, agreed. Houki and Rin are childhood friends, I guess that brings the relation. And Charlotte... well, yeah. France Romance.

Quote:
There's a lot of good harem leads out there, and a lot of bad ones. Ichika is near the bottom of the list as one of the most useless I've seen, just above Haruto from KNIM.
I don't rank him or "harem male leads" for that matter, I find his idiocy and uselessness to be quite entertaining. The girls are also at fault for not trying to break his denseness. Especially the haremettes don't do too much for what they want.

Quote:
And I will never understand what the Japanese audience sees in loser and/or butt monkey protagonists. I can understand that the author's want to make characters that appeal to the reader, but I highly doubt Japanese men are anywhere near as pathetic as some of these leads are. I'd prefer characters that are more well-rounded and average-- people who have strengths and weaknesses-- instead of guys who just suck at everything.
They want to provide some kind of utopia? And honestly, you never know, there might be people who're just like him.
Old 2011-02-25, 20:07   Link #62
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
It's not his IS, it's him. Look at his onee-sama who used the same weapon. I think the difference is clear.
True, though, I forget... did Chifuyu say she used ranged weapons at all or did she just stick with the sword? I know it was her trump card, but given how good she was, I thought she may have used some guns as well. But you're right, it's definitely him and his inability to use it. I can't believe how many times he's wasted his own shield energy either missing completely (or in the latest episode, charging straight into Laura's barrier... multiple times).

Quote:
Cecilia and Laura in particular are ridiculous in the way they got to like him and suddenly changed their attitude, agreed. Houki and Rin are childhood friends, I guess that brings the relation. And Charlotte... well, yeah. France Romance.
Childhood friend things I can buy, but Cecilia and Laura just came out of nowhere. Makes me wonder if they were this underdeveloped in the LN, because it they were, the anime doesn't really make me want to read it.

Quote:
I don't rank him or "harem male leads" for that matter, I find his idiocy and uselessness to be quite entertaining. The girls are also at fault for not trying to break his denseness. Especially the haremettes don't do too much for what they want.
That's a personal preference difference then. I can deal with some stupidity, but I find leads who are useless idiots much more annoying than amusing. It's why I dropped KNIM and really like a manga like GE-- because the lead is a average guy, who despite not being great at everything, still tries and succeeds at some tough things. Like a real person.

Quote:
They want to provide some kind of utopia? And honestly, you never know, there might be people who're just like him.
I feel sorry for those people.
Old 2011-02-25, 23:07   Link #63
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

I thought I'd post the pic of Ichika dressed as Masou Shoujo (from "Kore wa zombie desu ka?") here as well, it stands him so well

Ichika would be a much better and more believable girl than Charlotte trying to pass as a guy
Old 2011-02-26, 06:38   Link #64
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

If you read the novel, you realize that he is no idiot. In fact, Charl called him out in episode 8 when she commented that "sometimes I think you do it on purpose."

Which he does. He doesn't want to shake up the boat because he enjoyed the attention he was getting.

So, basically, as long as the directors aren't willing to show that side of him, Ichika will continue to look like an annoying idiot. Right now, he needs to bed Rin, and lean to one side and smoke just to make up for all that lack of character building thanks to the anime.
Old 2011-02-26, 15:48   Link #65
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
If you read the novel, you realize that he is no idiot. In fact, Charl called him out in episode 8 when she commented that "sometimes I think you do it on purpose."

Which he does. He doesn't want to shake up the boat because he enjoyed the attention he was getting.

So, basically, as long as the directors aren't willing to show that side of him, Ichika will continue to look like an annoying idiot. Right now, he needs to bed Rin, and lean to one side and smoke just to make up for all that lack of character building thanks to the anime.
So he goes from being an complete idiot to being a jerk who just wants attention. Lol. Neither character type really appeals to me. :P
Old 2011-02-26, 18:25   Link #66
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

At least it makes sense. Ichika never appealed to me either way. But I certainly prefer it when it makes sense.
Old 2011-02-26, 18:45   Link #67
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
At least it makes sense. Ichika never appealed to me either way. But I certainly prefer it when it makes sense.
I can agree here, atleast it can be understandable instead of just seeing Ichika as a complete baka that has no clue what to do in a romance situation or see any signs of girls liking him. That would be a very big surprise if he still sees Laura as the way she was after that kiss she gave him.
Old 2011-02-27, 05:15   Link #68
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Oh and I just remembered. It was implied that Ichika himself is undecided, and likes all the girls equally. That further reinforces his "act dumb, give no one the lead, but when given enjoy it" modus operandi. You might even say that's why some of his reactions have a significant lag time.
Old 2011-02-27, 09:05   Link #69
Seihai
スマイリウム

Then that means he is actually aware that they love him?
Old 2011-02-28, 02:04   Link #70
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Yeap. The anime tried to follow the book by making it all implied, but its more obvious from the novel's narrative than on the tv.
Old 2011-02-28, 02:39   Link #71
Terminator98
Archangelic Demon Vampire
*Author

You have made my respect for this boy go up man.

Even though if I still see him as a jerkass. PICK ONE ALREADY!
(but that'd mean the end... so nah, pick her later...)
Old 2011-02-28, 03:21   Link #72
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

So he's actually a complete asshole in the books? I suppose it's either a choice between Contrived Stupidity and Moral Dissonace. I'm not really sure which one is worse but I suppose I'd rather see Moral Dissonance since it's less common.

Still...there are atleast some people who like him...
Old 2011-02-28, 03:42   Link #73
Terminator98
Archangelic Demon Vampire
*Author

Ok, we must add him to this list:

Spoiler for ENEMIES OF ALL MANKIND:
Old 2011-02-28, 09:18   Link #74
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

With all the cries against Ichika's 'moral character', I can't see any of us acting any better if put into his situation. With IS, females have tipped the gender balance of power - and he has 5 up-and-coming new stars to the IS World Stage all gunning for his affections openly and a school full of girls who are at least interested in talking with him. Not to mention his (hawt) older sister can be considered a living legend within the IS world.

I know I sure wasn't a saint when I was 15years old.... He would have had to have training from a monk to withstand that sort of daily temptation. That and Chifuyu wasn't around as much since she was working so of course she couldn't smash his head in if he did something out-of-line.
Old 2011-02-28, 09:53   Link #75
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Speak for yourself. I really don't think I would do anything like that in such a situation. Bear in mind if you were actually placed in such a situation then it would be a lot more awkward and a lot less comical.
Old 2011-02-28, 12:44   Link #76
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
With all the cries against Ichika's 'moral character', I can't see any of us acting any better if put into his situation. With IS, females have tipped the gender balance of power - and he has 5 up-and-coming new stars to the IS World Stage all gunning for his affections openly and a school full of girls who are at least interested in talking with him. Not to mention his (hawt) older sister can be considered a living legend within the IS world.

I know I sure wasn't a saint when I was 15years old.... He would have had to have training from a monk to withstand that sort of daily temptation. That and Chifuyu wasn't around as much since she was working so of course she couldn't smash his head in if he did something out-of-line.
Around the Junior High to the Senior High the kids' hormones go through the roof. There's no way a "15" year old would act that dense and he never went to an "all boys" school. We know that he went to a regular school since he knows Ran and Rinn from back then.

Regardless his behaviour is unusual to the point that even his classmates/friends are pointing that out and why some of us suggested he was gay.
Old 2011-02-28, 18:31   Link #77
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator98 View Post
Ok, we must add him to this list:

Spoiler for ENEMIES OF ALL MANKIND:
What would the price be? For Ichika, I can make a personal profit of 40 mil with the threat level as "Extremely High" Or maybe the price has to be as high as 80 mil since he apparently has the affection of the entire academy...
Old 2011-03-01, 07:18   Link #78
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
What would the price be? For Ichika, I can make a personal profit of 40 mil with the threat level as "Extremely High" Or maybe the price has to be as high as 80 mil since he apparently has the affection of the entire academy...
That's not really affection. It's prison mentality. You throw a ton of people of the same sex together with little to no contact with the opposite sex, anyone with half-decent looks would be a major target.

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2011-03-01 at 08:50.
Old 2011-03-01, 07:57   Link #79
Seihai
スマイリウム

The more people dislike him, the more I like him. It's funny.
Old 2011-03-01, 17:07   Link #80
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
The more people dislike him, the more I like him. It's funny.
Can't really say that I dislike Ichika, was just trying to determine the price range they would possibly put on him but he atleast reached "baka" point in my meter...
Closed Thread

Tags
characters