AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Air

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-27, 23:55   Link #1
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Why AIR hasn't been licensed yet...

I think this post over at Haeleth's forum explains a bit:
http://forums.haeleth.net/viewtopic.php?p=11500#11500

In particular
Quote:
Kanon is not considered much due to subject matter (confusing harem without fanservice or violence, Mai notwithstanding), cost of association due to Key, and to be brutal, quality. Air is mostly the same, but has a slight chance even though it's expensive since it could be sold on the beautiful visuals and made something of a splash in the fanbase when it came out... probably not anytime soon, though.
Old 2006-02-28, 12:04   Link #2
nani
Dreamer
*Artist

Yes, the genre of the show will be very confusing to the first time viewer.

The initial settings (single male vs multiple females, the character design and the comedies in the first few episodes) will make people think this is a harem show thus attracting the wrong people to watch. Needless to say, they will find the show unsatisfactory at the end because romance does not play a very important role here.

IMO, another problem is that the TV series is really made for the fans who had played the game. Admittedly, the studio had done very well to pack most of the story into 12 episodes. However, the pacing is very fast and occassionally can be quite confusing to those who had not played the game as some of the dialogues are omitted.

Anyway, let's keep our fingers' crossed for Air to be licensed.
Old 2006-02-28, 12:06   Link #3
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Considering KGNE just got license you Airheads might get your wish If KGNE does at moderately well, Air might see a release in 2007.
Old 2006-02-28, 14:30   Link #4
frad113

Send a message via AIM to frad113
Quote:
Originally Posted by nani
IMO, another problem is that the TV series is really made for the fans who had played the game.
I may be just an exception to the rule, but I haven't played the game but did enjoy the show very much .
Old 2006-02-28, 16:14   Link #5
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frad113
I may be just an exception to the rule, but I haven't played the game but did enjoy the show very much .
I'm the same way, I watched it before I even knew there was a game of it. I still have not played the game but this anime is one of my all time favorites.
Old 2006-02-28, 16:29   Link #6
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
you don't have to play the game but it helps alot if you know about parts
Old 2006-02-28, 17:03   Link #7
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Imo, its just like asking "Why hasen't Kanon been licensed?" ^^;
Old 2006-02-28, 19:12   Link #8
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
Much as I preferred the TV series, I would hope that a distributor picks up the license to the movie first - it's far more likely to sell in the West than the TV series is, despite the (to me) lacklustre animation and story. And if they can get some kind of momentum/sales motivation from the movie, they could use that as a springboard to license AIR TV. And on that logic, I'd buy the movie if it had the slightest chance of bringing me the TV series.

Still - I'll be interested to see how KGNE does. It's kinda a 'foot in the door' for the genre, although admittedly not so much for niche titles like AIR or Kanon. But we'll see.

-Andiyar
Old 2006-03-09, 00:05   Link #9
Monster in a box

If it had a nice box I'd buy it without a second though, that's for sure.

It's true though, it doesn't have a wide audience. I haven't played the game either, and unless I somehow learn Japanese I never will...though I have considered buying the DC version for novelty because anime merchandise = win, and import DC games = win; which means an import DC game that an anime was based on = some sort of unheard of super-win.
Old 2006-03-09, 09:42   Link #10
nani
Dreamer
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster in a box
I haven't played the game either, and unless I somehow learn Japanese I never will...

For whatever its worth, if you happen to know Chinese, I have got the Game Script in Traditional Chinese. PM me if you need it.

On the other hand, why not start to learn Japanese? That's what I am doing right now. Hopefully, I will be able to play Little Busters when it comes out.....
Old 2006-03-10, 13:35   Link #11
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar
Much as I preferred the TV series, I would hope that a distributor picks up the license to the movie first - it's far more likely to sell in the West than the TV series is, despite the (to me) lacklustre animation and story.
I kinda agree, though i wouldn't be that shocked if it didn't sell at all.. Air's the kind of anime i just can't see selling anywhere apart from Japan, and around 60% of the people who would buy it - would have no idea its based of a h-game. ;_;
Old 2006-03-10, 20:28   Link #12
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Most likely because Key/Visual Arts charge excuberant fees for their works... none of Key's stuff have been licensed for release here in the States... although I really want them to license Planetarian and release it for 9.99 at my local Best Buy or Electronic Boutique... show that there is more to the gaming world then just grab a gun and shoot, or random ass clicking and dragging to win.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Old 2006-03-10, 20:51   Link #13
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

the strong buddhist influence in Air and all the other key shows will prevent this from ever becoming accepted by the general western public. now they could license and release it, most western otaku types would support it but this will never air on tv. pun pun pun.
Old 2006-03-16, 06:53   Link #14
Rosa Mystica

Soon as Air comes out I'll buy it. Air is one of the greatest animes I have ever seen.
Old 2006-03-22, 04:05   Link #15
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

"god forbid" that American audiences ever be exposed to alien cultures or different ways of looking at things, ya know.

sorry.. feeling particularly annoyed with the mundanes around me at the moment.

I'm just glad those of us interested were able to get to see the series and the movie at all.
Old 2006-03-22, 18:26   Link #16
Monster in a box

Quote:
Originally Posted by nani
For whatever its worth, if you happen to know Chinese, I have got the Game Script in Traditional Chinese. PM me if you need it.

On the other hand, why not start to learn Japanese? That's what I am doing right now. Hopefully, I will be able to play Little Busters when it comes out.....
Heh, I only know one language, and I'm a pretty lousy learner. I've done really poorly in all of my high school language classes. If I tried to learn Japanese it might be a little different because I actually care about it, but on the other hand it's supposed to be about a million times harder than learning French, or Spanish (which I'd have no trouble with at all if I could stay awake in class, but I can't...).

Er...off-topic? I'll say something on-topic!

So yeah, that thing I said before. Knowing my luck if they did release a box it'd be dumb looking. They'd probably just make it a picture of the sky with the Air logo...and it'd be slimcase.
Old 2006-03-26, 02:28   Link #17
MoMoe
plox

NOOOO
I wouldn't want Air to Get Licensed
*doesn't like it when things she likes become overly popular*
Old 2006-03-26, 02:40   Link #18
Neaco
*Graphic Designer

I would have to disagree. The number of people that will know or watch AIR (popularity) has nothing to do with your enjoyment of it, especially since most of us watched it already.

Maybe it's nice to have it as our little niche series but if more people can learn about and enjoy it from it being licensed (especially those who never used fansubs) then I think it's a good thing. Some will hate it and such but that goes for anything.

it's like any other work of art; like a painting, you can't just keep it to yourself and friends in some dark room, you have to put it in a museum for everyone to enjoy or criticise.

---

Now should they release the game, my journey towards AIR nirvana will be complete!
Old 2006-03-26, 08:13   Link #19
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
Well, quite frankly, I want to watch AIR on my plasma TV, on DVD, with selectable english subtitles - and I want it to be a professionally edited disk. This will never happen with a Japanese release. Only in an R1 release.

I could care less how 'popular' what I watch is. As long as I enjoy and like it, I don't care what other people think. That is why I was ecstatic that Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien was licensed. Why I would love to see Kanon (both versions!) licensed. And why I want Air to be licensed. So I can enjoy them in the format that I want to - and that, in a small way, I can thank Key/Visual Arts for the pleasure that they have givem me.

-Andiyar

Last edited by andiyar; 2006-03-26 at 16:06.
Old 2006-03-26, 11:45   Link #20
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMoe
NOOOO
I wouldn't want Air to Get Licensed
*doesn't like it when things she likes become overly popular*
I know the feeling, but AIR would probably not be very popular. Maybe you would just lose that indie feeling
Closed Thread