AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 46 53.49%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 31.40%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 11.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 2.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.16%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-13, 14:20   Link #61
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icerack View Post
Spoiler for sola:
Now that would be interesting....

Spoiler:

Last edited by orion; 2007-05-13 at 14:35.
Old 2007-05-13, 16:28   Link #62
PastPrime

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-13, 16:54   Link #63
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
Spoiler:
I think this is a very plausible theory. Whenever you make theories about something, you should always start with ones that make most common sense and minimum disturbance to the people. Of course, people always want more fancy explanation, but any work of fiction would degrade into non-sense trash if they ignore simple, common sense explanation too much.
Old 2007-05-13, 17:10   Link #64
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-13, 17:36   Link #65
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-13, 17:44   Link #66
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Spoiler:
I've been thinking about how yaka are created.
Spoiler for yaka:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Seriously, never in my 22 years did I imagine this type of story paying attention to the mysteries surrounding a male character, normally its all about the girls and the male lead is a stand in for the viewer/gamer.
A poignant observation. I'm usually bored with the transparent nature of the player-character in most games. Obviously, the games are made to allow the player to overlay his own personality on the character in a vicarious (or is it voyeuristic?) way. But it makes the game artificial because all the responses, even the "bad" ones, have to be generic and uninspired.

I hope the game designers for Sola take advantage of this. It could add more of a role-playing aspect to the game. You're not just working with how the girls will react, but also what Yorito would do in a situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
In episode 1, Koyori confessed that she felt uneasy calling Mana 'elder sister (= Onee-san)', to which Mana somewhat dejectedly answered 'Yes, I know', which seems to indicate that Mana herself isn't used to be called 'elder sister.' I don't think this is merely a matter of Koyori being cute.
I think it's just an aspect of her always speaking formally. The Ninth Commandment of Moe: Though shalt use proper names for all things.
Old 2007-05-13, 17:52   Link #67
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-13, 18:05   Link #68
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-13, 21:50   Link #69
Icerack

Spoiler for sola:
Old 2007-05-13, 22:24   Link #70
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Spoiler:

But....

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-14, 04:31   Link #71
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

After watching ep6 i can say it is a great episode indeed. Sola has officially positioned itself as my no1 pick of the season.

Most important event of the ep: omg, kissu!!! Now, lets move on to other, less important matters.

Matsuri's and Aono's bloody past... seems like Yorito indeed died, and Aono killed herself. Question is - who was Aono to Yorito and vice versa ? Were they siblings back then ?(I assume it happened a loong time ago).

Matsuri seems to think(and quite strongly) that Yorito is something more than just a brother to Aono. (Though who knows). Obviously, Matsuri has feelings for Yorito as well. Why did she leave at the end of the ep? Because she feels somewhat guilty about "stealing" Yorito away from Aono ? I think that might be the biggest reason... i think the speech she gave at the end was to simply conjure up some sort of a justification for her leave.

Aono and her powers... could it be that Yaka's have different types of powers? At least we haven't seen Matsuri bringing objects to life just yet. (Oh, wait - scratch that - she brought Aono back to life ).

Looks like Aono and Yorito moved here only 3 months ago ... wow, sure didn't take much time for him to turn Mana in to his personal cook >.<

As it is now, the biggest mystery is Yorito himself. Just what exactly is he? A reincarnation? A Yaka himself, who has gained the ability to live in daylight? Not, that at the beginning of the ep Yorito announces that he has found a way to bring Matsuri out in the sunlight.

Aono's suicide implied that Yorito died... so either he is a reincarnation, or Aono(or Matsuri) brought him back to life and applied the method he had found on to him, enabling him to live as a "normal" human.

Now, why doesn't he have memories of the past? (Aside from his attachment to the sky). He could be a reincarnation. But i would like to know how Aono managed to find him in that case, take him away from his family and set herself up living with him. Seems a bit far fetched, so i will go with the other possibility:

Him being a daywalker. It would also explain why the wound he got from Takashi seems utterly forgotten: If he is a Yaka, his healing rate would be high as well. Which brings us to his missing memories. Did Aono wipe them clean? If so, then why? To make him forget Matsuri ?

Perhaps to let him live as a normal human ?... but that doesn't really fit - he would notice sooner or later that he doesn't age. Maybe he was kept in some sort of a "hibernation" all this time, and revived recently: perhaps the cure he had found back the wasn't ready, and it took Aono all this time to complete it ?

Gah... i think my head starts to hurt >.< I have to commend Sola on a mystery well done - there are no obvious answers, and i can't come up with a theory that doesn't have some sort of a loophole.

Matsuri/Yorito interactions are as cute and funny as ever. She doesn't pass on the opportunity to tease him again, even in front of Aono. Can't believe Mana and Kuyori fell for it >.>

"Kuyori is deeply sorry, but Kuyori will be changing her opinion of Yorito-san!" < LOL

What happened to the inhabitants of the house Aono/Yorito moved in to ? *ponders if it has a cellar ...*

All that aside: what happens now? We are barely halfway with the series, so i wonder where the plot will go now. Obviously, Yorito won't be very happy about Matsuri's disappearance. Which leads me to the favor that Matsuri asked of Aono ... since we are speculating that Aono can manipulate thoughts, perhaps she asked Aono to erase all of Yorito's recent memories about her? (Which would obviously backfire at some point )

At any rate - i hope Matsuri won't disappear from screen for any amount of prolonged time: I have a feeling that the series needs her to maintain it's charm (and her interactions with Yorito)

Or not. Will Yorito go looking for Matsuri? Will Takashi's arm heal? Will Aono use her powers again? Will we ever get a normal preview ?

Gah... can't wait for the next ep >.<
If this kind of a quality storytelling keeps up, i think i will manage to find a spot for Sola in my top5.
*goes to rock back and forth in a corner while waiting for the next week*
Old 2007-05-14, 07:50   Link #72
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Okay that's it, when the male lead of a story is approaching the status of most mysterious character you know something good is going on. Once the series has finished I'll probably marathon it or something.

Seriously, never in my 22 years did I imagine this type of story paying attention to the mysteries surrounding a male character, normally its all about the girls and the male lead is a stand in for the viewer/gamer. This series also has the advantage of not being based off a game and thus having to follow a rigid plot structure revolving around character arcs. Looks like a low-profile sleeper hit and that's the way I like these kinds of shows, no hype going into it, a small cult that discusses the merits and ideas presented by the show and best of all, no controversy every episode or two.
You must have missed Tsukihime then. And why should a series' followers have any influence over one's opinion of a show. At all. That's crazy, IMO.

Anyway, with that said, I'm not sure why everyone has gone head-over-heels for this show, since I don't think it's done anything all that special so far. It's mildly interesting and enjoyable, but hardly ranks among the better titles this season, or the better titles in this genre. Anyway, I'm seeing a whole heap of similarities between this and Tsukihime, and so far I'd say the latter has Sola beat in pretty much every department: more enigmatic characters, more engaging mystery, more dense, layered atmosphere, better execution and direction, etc, etc. I know I'm going to offend people with this comment, but, as much as I hate to say it, it just feels like Sola is coming off as a poor man's Tsukihime to this stage.

With that said, I don't dislike this show, I just think people are getting a little over-enthusiastic about it, in my eyes.
Spoiler for ep 6:
It's the mystery that keeps this show interesting. I wouldn't say the other components are obviously flawed, but they do feel tepid and underwhelming. I still somewhat suspect that, in the hands of a slightly better director, this could be a much better anime...
Old 2007-05-14, 08:27   Link #73
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

The first time I finished watching this, the following picture visually represents my reaction at that time perfectly;

Spoiler for a word that is NSFW:

I had to watch it a second time immediately to gather my thoughts, and I'll have to say one thing. The previous episode made me think that there was no way I could rate the Final Critique for Sola higher than Kanon 2006's Final Critique. This episode made me think otherwise.

All the critics who questioned the validity of Aono's presence in the whole shebang are going to eat their words. All the assumptions about Yorito that has been erstwhile taken for granted are now thrown out the window. Everything that has been comfortable about this series has now been replaced by thoroughly uncomfortable questions, with just enough clues to whet the appetite, yet not enough for anyone to make a solid deduction.

This is the perfect plot twist, no matter which way I look at it.

10/10. Anything less is a travesty.

Now, as everybody will no doubt be speculating their butts off, I shall refrain for the time being, as I'm really more interested in seeing everyone's speculations for now, rather than give my own for the time being. On the other hand, I'll give random thoughts for lack of anything better to say. I'm going to need some time to recover from this mind-.....well, you know.

All time frames are from the Lunar Sub:

1) I'm surprised that Yorito and Mana can take the fact of the previous day's events with a straight face. Then again, it's not like there wasn't precedent for it...

2) 03:39-03:51. "Iron Claw", Matsuri? Whatever happened to your theory that a good, simple kick can fix anything?

3) Whatever Mayuko is, we can be reasonably sure she's not a Yaka, or at least not in the same vein as Matsuri

Spoiler:

are. She wouldn't be able to accompany Takeshi to the hospital otherwise in broad daylight.

4) 04:43-04:44. The animation of the Mayuko-Koyori collision is way too rough. They didn't even look like they touched each other. Another example of Nomad's animators being lazy again.

5) 05:29-05:37. So not only is Mana stacked, she also packs a nice trunk area, too.

6) 16:07-16:53. Getting rid of the competition, are we, Matsuri-san?

7) Does anyone else think that Koyori's speech pattern is eeriely similar to that of AIR (TV)'s Uraha?

8)
Spoiler:

9) Somehow, I don't think the last scene is Matsuri's bye-bye. Don't ask me why, I just have this feeling Yorito will return home next episode to find her sitting pretty somewhere within his house.
Old 2007-05-14, 09:02   Link #74
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

One thing is for sure; no one will ever call Mana and Yorito Osana-Najimi anymore. That really annoyed the heck out of me, because though Mana and Yorito might be close friends, they haven't exhibited the regular symptoms of being childhood friends.

And I guess I was right; Yorito and Mana did get to know each other (or at least, got as close to each other as they are right now) because both their respective siblings had been hospitalized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K
You must have missed Tsukihime then. And why should a series' followers have any influence over one's opinion of a show. At all. That's crazy, IMO.
Quoted (and bolded) for truth. Going against the bandwagon just for the sake of going against the bandwagon? That's not crazy... that's just plain stupid (and for that matter, prejudiced as well). If one avoided every show that exhibits even the least bit amount of popularity, then one would be missing most of the great shows. While one might not like every popular show (tastes differ, I hear), there IS a good reason why a show is popular. As such, don't knock it till you try it.

And that is not limited to shows, but fansubs as well. I though that Kaoishin was complimenting afk before when he said they had a 'cult' following, but I guess I was wrong. Sure, go with the subbing group that you like the most (everyone has their favorites, I hear), but ruling out a particular group because a lot of people prefer their subs? That's a pretty shallow reason. Go see the subs and find actual reasons before passing judgement whether or not to follow their subs.

You really don't know what you're missing, but then again ignorance is bliss for some people, I guess. >_>

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-05-14, 11:09   Link #75
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post

Anyway, with that said, I'm not sure why everyone has gone head-over-heels for this show, since I don't think it's done anything all that special so far. It's mildly interesting and enjoyable, but hardly ranks among the better titles this season, or the better titles in this genre. Anyway, I'm seeing a whole heap of similarities between this and Tsukihime, and so far I'd say the latter has Sola beat in pretty much every department: more enigmatic characters, more engaging mystery, more dense, layered atmosphere, better execution and direction, etc, etc. I know I'm going to offend people with this comment, but, as much as I hate to say it, it just feels like Sola is coming off as a poor man's Tsukihime to this stage.

With that said, I don't dislike this show, I just think people are getting a little over-enthusiastic about it, in my eyes.
Not all have seen Tsukihime, as being one I can't say if everything is shown already there or "better", but I'm thinking what then if Tsukihime has presented similarities before. Sure there's room for another one and I also believe this is not last time. Maybe I check it some day, but untill then I'm enjoying Sola fully.
Old 2007-05-14, 12:29   Link #76
Areguzanda
Ecchi!

OK....
that was absolutely the best episode so far
and somehow I just new when I saaw the trailer that Sola was gonna be a great Anime.
I don't know how but just got that feeling.
and yet again my head is hurting trying to understand the future plot and the connection between the characters...
but I tell you, if Matsuri is gonne ba gone for long (more then 5 minutes out in the next episode) I'm filing in a complaint!
the emotions shown between Matsuri and Yorito makes me feel they are right for eachother and they should be together, but sure that is not easy to happen.
man..kiss and leave? matsuri!!!

( onegai, give me the next episode as fast as humanly.....no heavenly possible!! GOD help the anime makers of Sola!!! need more NOW! )

Old 2007-05-14, 12:46   Link #77
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
3) Whatever Mayuko is, we can be reasonably sure she's not a Yaka, or at least not in the same vein as Matsuri

Spoiler:

are. She wouldn't be able to accompany Takeshi to the hospital otherwise in broad daylight.
Actually, I got the impression that it was late and the sun had already set. I think that she is the same as them, it's just that she has been told differently and considers herself to be different.

I also had a thought on where Yorito and Aono get their money.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-14, 12:52   Link #78
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Hmm... everyone is talking about how Yorito could be a reincarnation of the past Yorito, and waiting for an explanation to fill in the hole of how a normal human could do that but...

Spoiler for speculation:

With this I'm not saying that my speculation is true, but that as of yet we still have too little information to make any definite claims
Old 2007-05-14, 12:57   Link #79
Barbka

His obsession with sky is really strange. I think that is really connected with the past, but I still don't know in which way. Maybe Aono really did erase his memories.

And maybe maybe Aono was in love with him but he loved Matsuri - even in the past... (that would be nice hehehehe - a love that trespasses time and loss of memory )
Old 2007-05-14, 13:16   Link #80
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbka View Post
And maybe maybe Aono was in love with him but he loved Matsuri - even in the past... (that would be nice hehehehe - a love that trespasses time and loss of memory )
Most likely that is the case here if you ask me. But how it all will end (My money is still on a tragedy) and what role each character is going to play is beyond my speculations range >.>