AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2018-06-21, 09:54   Link #1
Nymene

What are your most liked Anime, Manga and Light Novels with a gender balanced cast?

I dislike works with an inbalanced cast of genders in the cast, so I avoid most harems, reverse harems, and all-male and all-female stories. List here your most liked Anime, Manga and Light Novels with a gender balanced cast. My Top 3 are these :

1. Darling in the Franxx ( Anime ) :

Mecha anime. 5 boys and 5 girls in MC's group including the MC. Gender balanced cast of characters with a few interesting side couples. I like this anime very much and this is my number 1 anime so far.

Not harem genre too, as there's only 2 and not 3 of the opposite gender that is romantically interested/linked to the MC. ( This is not a spoiler since some people stay away from harem genres like the plague, so it is important to mention if there's harem elements or not to convince anti-harem people to watch the show.)

2. Tensei Shoujo no Rirekisho ( Light Novel )

Female protagonist, Isekai reincarnation, fantasy. MC has both male and female characters in his group of friends/comrades, so it has a gender balanced cast. There's both Bishoujos and Ikemens in her group of friends, but it's neither reverse harem or yuri harem, since there's only one boy that has clear and strong romantic feelings for the MC.

I love the MC very much, as she is very funny and interesting with her internal monologues and Tsukkomis that reminds me of Ani from Dame x Prince Anime Caravan. However unlike Ani, this MC is much more capable in fighting, though not as good her other comrades, which are one girl knight trainee, an elder boy knight trainee, a classy noble girl mage and 2 noble boy mages in her circle of friends. Wait a minute, most of the MC's closest friends here are from noble families, with only a few to zero commoner friends....where have I seen this setting before??? Oh yeah, the one I will mention below.

3. Kenja no Mago ( Light Novel )

Similar settings as the one above.

1. Only one love interest for the protagonist and no harem.
2. MC has a good balance of female and male comrades in his group. Gender balanced cast of characters.
3. MC's closest friends including his love interest are all from familes of high social status, from both nobility or royalty. Kinda like our lucky MC from the novel mentioned above. However, he does have a few friends from commoner families, though his closest male friend is not a commoner. And the girl with most closest relationship with him ( love interest ) is also not a commoner, so in other words, the MC here is a Riajuu with friends in high places, similar to Tensei Shoujo's MC. Best thing is that those MCs doesn't have a harem, which is a nice change of pace from most Isekai novels that features harems for a majority of them.
4. This MC also has an interesting personality, as he does show a wide variety of emotions like the female MC above, so you can say that he's not your typical overly bland self-insert MC like is most harem and reverse harem works.
5. This novel also has a Magic School element, same as the novel above. Coincidentally, I find both of them very entertaining, just like Harry Potter, which I've watched the movies a few years ago. Maybe I just like fantasy stories with the magic school element in it ?

So that's my most liked Top 3 list of works from Japan, from all of those 3 mediums that features a gender balanced cast of characters.

I also like DBZ and Yuyu Hakusho, but I didn't included them in the list, as the majority of the main cast are all males with so few females. Bleach, which has a more balanced gender cast, had more strong and badass female characters in the cast than the previous 2, but I only rank Bleach in my Top 10 list and not Top 3 so i didn't want to mention it here to save space for others to post here. What are yours ?

Last edited by Nymene; 2018-06-21 at 09:58. Reason: spelling and a few checks
Nymene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-21, 11:52   Link #2
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

How do you calculate if it's balanced or not? Only protagonists or do extras count, too? Is Evangelion gender balanced? Why does it even matter?
Old 2018-06-21, 13:19   Link #3
kanoguti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0cean View Post
How do you calculate if it's balanced or not? Only protagonists or do extras count, too? Is Evangelion gender balanced? Why does it even matter?
I don't think it matters inherently but if someone is looking for gender-balanced works, then they automatically cut out many divisive genres.
Old 2018-06-21, 13:45   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Chihayafuru might be my top choice. Though it's Chihaya's story, the rest of the cast, both boys and girls, get a decent amount of screen time.

Log Horizon, Baccano!, Bartender, Black Lagoon, Juuni Kokuki, Seirei no Moribito, Gatchaman Crowds, Gin no Saji, and NHK ni Youkoso! are good examples as well. Uchuu Kyoudai maybe, too.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-21, 13:57   Link #5
m4d75

Hmmm, balance characters mean similar likes Nijiro Days, Zutto Mae Kara Suki Deshita?.

Each character has an attraction to a different girl....., it's romance but not harem.
m4d75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-23, 01:29   Link #6
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I believe M3 the dark metal and Kiznaiver counts as it fits your requirement. Or what about the dozen of Megami Tensei inspired series?
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-25, 08:07   Link #7
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

1) Cowboy Bebop: The crew of the Bebop has a perfect ratio of 2 males and 2 females, unless you wanna count the dog.

2) Slayers: The main party is composed by 2 men and 2 women

3) Jigoku Shoujo: Main cast has 2 males and 2 females

4) Assassination Classroom: the main cast is a whole classroom with an almost equal ratio of boys and girls.

5) Argento Soma: there is an overall balance of sexes on various levels.

6) Mugen no Ryvius: Here's a story with an enormous cast, but whether you look at major characters or minor characters it is very balanced.

7) Bokurano: what Madoka did to the Mahou Shoujo genre, Bokurano did it first with the Super Robot genre. There are more than ten "pilots" with an almost equal number of boys and girls. The anime changed several things, the manga is definitely better in my opinion.

8) Death Parade: a very beautiful and unusual anime with no gender imbalance.

9) e-f a tale of memories\melodies: an unusual visual novel (adapted into an anime) where there are only predetermined couples.

10) Psycho Pass: main cast has 3 women (one of which is the protagonist) and 3 men. The first season is great, the second and the movie not so much.

11) Shingeki no Kyojin: the core cast has 2 males and 1 female, but there's a lot of other important characters with no particular sex bias.

12) Working!!: a yonkoma manga with focus on several different characters both males and females.

All of the above are very high on my list and none features a triangle or harem situation.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-26, 21:23   Link #8
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii (Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku)

A noitaminA series that just concluded last week (June 21, 2018). Very serviceable rom-com with two pairs of guy-girl working adults in their 20s, and another potential pair of college kids in their very late teens. The two adult women are hardcore BL fans (one of them even draws her own BL manga as a hobby), but are also happily dating their male partners, so go figure.

Houseki no Kuni (Land of the Lustrous)

A landmark TV anime series that will likely serve as an industry benchmark for 3-D animation in Japan for a good many years. The androgynous cast look almost entirely female (except for one apparently male mentor), but they refer to each other with male pronouns ("brother", "he"), underscoring the point that they are, in fact, genderless living gems. If they're genderless, that's not much to worry about when it comes to balance, is there?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-28, 20:45   Link #9
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

*Devilman Crybaby (It's still too gory, don't watch it if you are sensitive to violence)
*Akame ga Kill
*Code Geass
*xxxHolic
*Full Metal Panic!
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote