AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-05-08, 17:19   Link #3081
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post

Now, to reply to npal:

The Cerberus scientists aboard the near-dead reaper were definitely hallucinating. Memories were altered, they began seeing things that weren't there and indeed saw things in their dreams. And they weren't steadily moving towards the reapers goal either, not until they were fully indoctrinated. Which can be said for the crew in Arrival as well. They stuck to their guns of destroying the mass-relay to stop the reapers and resisted until Harbinger had full control.

And Shepard did accept the reapers. If you chose the control or synthesis ending.

And while the beam having telepathic properties does indeed sound ridiculous, a near-dead person having weaker mental defenses does not.

Now, I agree that no character has escaped indoctrination before. But then, we are playing Shepard here. The entire character of Shepard is doing the impossible. Stoping Saren and Sovereign? Check. Surviving a suicide mission with everyone alive? Check. Ending the genophage? Check. Peace between quarians and geth? Check.

As for destroying the reapers... have that score you gathered for uniting the galaxy actually mean something. That, along with the crucible actually being a useful weapon (the citadel is one giant mass relay + mass relays hurl objects across vast distances in short time = the largest canon in the universe?) and bam. It's not gonna be easy, but nobody said it would be.

Do I think Bioware thought of all this in advance and this is all "part of the plan?" Hell no. Not after they came out and said they were proud of that garbage they wrote. But it fits with all the knowledge we have so far, and it's an infinitely better ending than we have now, and probably still a better ending then the extended cut.
Regarding the scientists : While I don't remember the exact point and need to play it again, I do remember they had OBVIOUS hallucinations for days. Shepard had not even one such occurrence before the whole Crucible deal, plus he NEVER stayed within close Reaper range for more than some hours at a time, apparently not enough to cause indoctrination. There was no hint of Shepard actually experiencing hallucinations of any kind. The dreams many people base their hopes on could just as easily be a guilt trip and nothing more. Saren and the Illusive Man, too, exhibited no such departure from reality, only a slight change of their thought pattern that incorporated the Reapers as something than can be used or controlled, but in the end it was something to be obeyed. Seeing as Shepard is in the group of ME's powerful figures like the two above, he should be experiencing indoctrination in a similar way. Do note that the Illusive Man himself went into lengths to emphasize that he needed Shepard exactly as he was, so using reaper technology on him would have been kept to a minimum, if at all.

Shepard accepting the Reapers by virtue of choosing control or synthesis... First of all, Shepard would in a way accept the Reapers only by choosing synthesis, but even that is basically forcing the Reapers to devolve to a half-organic/half-machine being, a rather different approach to the other indoctrinated people, who accepted the "Reaper" technology as is. There was no option like that given to Shepard and the Reapers themselves have thus far NOT bluffed like that to anyone, which means that whatever options they were showing him were honest. Also the Reapers wouldn't endanger themselves by OFFERING a destruction option, so that part would need to be rewritten, as offering a destruction option means giving a choice to reject their control. I don't believe they're that stupid. Offering a destruction option is a gamble, no matter how big the stakes are. Even if the blue kid said it'll destroy Reapers and all organic life within the galactic vicinity, there IS a chance Shepard would have actually done that. A highly sophisticated machine of vastly superior intelligence wouldn't risk it. Reapers aren't known to gamble. Up until now they were careful and precise, following a no risk policy. Unless Shepard's mind could somehow conjure a destruction option itself, the options are as they were given, unless of course Bioware starts rewrites. But if it starts rewrites... why not just erase the blue kid?

Also note that after stopping Saren and Sovereign, everything else might or might not have happened and sometimes either choice has merits, so giving the best ending to only that specific outcome (which is usually the Paragon way) would be kind of bad for all the other players that made other strategic choices.

The whole thing just doesn't add up without caveats all over the place. And most of all, the indoctrination itself as shown in the 3 games would either need to be explicitly shown (Saren/Illusive Man) or strongly suggested (Cerberus scientists), otherwise it becomes a mere asspull and in that case, I'll just keep my (horrid but at least not a dream) blue kid.
Old 2012-05-08, 19:53   Link #3082
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Their probroly thinking "If I could go back in time..."
I'm sure they wish they could go back in time and not have sold their souls to EA.

In terms of the DLC I have little hope. The ending based stuff likely will be pretty bad and no chance they are sucking me in for multiplayer DLC. It is just disappointing that the ball had to be dropped here. Too bad for Bioware that EA doesn't care what happens to their rep or future sales and will let them go down like this. Suppose its worse for us since we got stuck with this game .
Old 2012-05-08, 20:35   Link #3083
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
stuck with this game .
eh, I already uninstalled it (needed the disk space for Fall of the Samurai). I'm hanging out here just to keep updated with the news, and maybe half-hoping a miraculous announcement stating that Bioware decided to give Casey Hudson's ego the middle finger and erase the Blue Kid.
Old 2012-05-08, 23:51   Link #3084
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
eh, I already uninstalled it (needed the disk space for Fall of the Samurai). I'm hanging out here just to keep updated with the news, and maybe half-hoping a miraculous announcement stating that Bioware decided to give Casey Hudson's ego the middle finger and erase the Blue Kid.
I was referring more to stuck with its existence....
Old 2012-05-08, 23:55   Link #3085
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I was referring more to stuck with its existence....
Oh, that.

Maybe some modder will erase the blue kid part? I prefer for the devs to fix up their own mess, but if the DLC ending proves inadequate then a mod is fine too.
Old 2012-05-15, 23:26   Link #3086
Key Board
Carbon

next DLC is more or less confirmed to be another MP expansion

Vorcha are coming, among other things

All signs point to this being free (at least for limited time)

You might be wondering why Bioware might want to release this for free. Well.. it's because they make a lot more from people buying all those MP packs

Especially when new equipment and characters come out. Everyone wants to be the first to get it.

It's the Gillete strategy. Give away the shavers because you'll make more money on the razors
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 03:43   Link #3087
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
So nice to see ME stooping to F2P MMO sales tactics with a cash shop. *sigh*

Well, it's true that EA now makes more money off of mobile and social games than they do off their triple-A titles like Mass Effect, so if the money shoe fits...

(And before anyone argues with me over this fact again, EA is publicly traded, you can go look it up for yourself...)
Old 2012-05-24, 12:50   Link #3088
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Mass Effect 3: Rebellion Pack Announced.

Quote:
Reinforcements are being deployed to all N7 forces, bringing out some heavy hitters thanks to the new Mass Effect 3 Rebellion DLC Pack! Arriving on Xbox Live, the PlayStation Network and PC on Tuesday, May 29 (Wednesday, May 30 on the PSN in Europe), the Mass Effect 3 Rebellion Pack will be bringing you more gear, more weapons, more maps, and more kits, available at no additional cost for anyone who redeemed an Online Pass for Mass Effect 3 on PC, PS3 or Xbox 360.

The Rebellion Multiplayer Expansion opens two new fronts against the Reapers: Firebase Jade’s jungle reservoir and Firebase Goddess on Thessia. In-game reinforcement packs now include three new weapons (Reegar Carbine, Krysae Sniper Rifle, Cerberus Harrier) as well as equipment, consumables, and six new characters from species that have lost lives or whole planets to the Reapers: Quarian Engineer and Infiltrator, Vorcha Soldier and Sentinel, Ex-Cerberus Adept and Vanguard. The battle continues!
You know, despite this month supposed to be my DIII month, ME3 rolling out free MP DLC like this so fast makes me get back into killing Reapers some more

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 13:04   Link #3089
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

That lash ability looks awesome but looks like something from kingdoms of alamer or w.e.
Old 2012-05-24, 15:46   Link #3090
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
You know, despite this month supposed to be my DIII month, ME3 rolling out free MP DLC like this so fast makes me get back into killing Reapers some more
Yeah. They're hoping it'll pacify us and make us forget about the blindingly shit-terrible ending and their bald-faced lies surrounding it.

And the bad part is they're probably right. Most everyone has already forgotten or no longer cares, but I'm still pissed off at how much murder entertainment corporations can get away with and not be called on it, while everybody hates on oil companies and banks.

Bad actors do bad things and should be punished, regardless of what their product is!
Old 2012-05-24, 15:52   Link #3091
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I can't really get all that excited about this, it's pretty much just adding more ways to kill the same enemies in the same mode. I've had a lot of fun with the multiplayer but it's starting to wear thin for me at this point.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 16:10   Link #3092
biodude711

Send a message via AIM to biodude711
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
And the bad part is they're probably right. Most everyone has already forgotten or no longer cares, but I'm still pissed off at how much murder entertainment corporations can get away with and not be called on it, while everybody hates on oil companies and banks.
Because if an entertainment corporation f**ks up, it's not going to affect people's way of life. However, if a bank or oil company f**ks up, it has far greater consequences because it is going to affect the way of live for a lot more people on a far greater scale.
Old 2012-05-24, 16:46   Link #3093
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodude711 View Post
Because if an entertainment corporation f**ks up, it's not going to affect people's way of life. However, if a bank or oil company f**ks up, it has far greater consequences because it is going to affect the way of live for a lot more people on a far greater scale.
Of course. However, they should not get a free pass to be douchenozzles just because they make something that we don't need. Apple sure as hell doesn't--far be it for me to defend Apple, but they get shit on massively by loads of people, and they don't ruin lives like banks do.

Not to mention some of the entertainment industry does ruin lives and livelihoods by suing people for "infringing" when they did no such thing or trying to break the Internet with laws like SOPA. They aren't as harmless as you'd think.
Old 2012-05-24, 16:58   Link #3094
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Yeah. They're hoping it'll pacify us and make us forget about the blindingly shit-terrible ending and their bald-faced lies surrounding it.

And the bad part is they're probably right. Most everyone has already forgotten or no longer cares,
I still care. Difference is, I just kept it into perspective from the beginning. The last 5 minutes sucking did not retroactively destroy the fun I had the two-dozen or so hours before, so I can still very much enjoy those parts while continuing to harp on the ending. Multiplayer is a different beastie too, so I'll continue to enjoy that as long as the enjoyment last (we should really start getting different modes now though).

So... yeah. Male Quarian? Bring it on!
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 19:34   Link #3095
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:

Bad actors do bad things and should be punished, regardless of what their product is!
Actually, to forget about ME3 is the worst punishment. It means the franchise dies entirely. Any attempt to please fans is only for the sake of salvaging a chance for a sequel.
Old 2012-05-24, 23:48   Link #3096
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Actually, to forget about ME3 is the worst punishment. It means the franchise dies entirely. Any attempt to please fans is only for the sake of salvaging a chance for a sequel.
Assuming that they were planning for a sequel

I could be wrong but I think they said they wanted to put efforts into fleshing out anything before the ending but who the hell wants that after what a craptistic ending we got?
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 01:02   Link #3097
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
I can't really get all that excited about this, it's pretty much just adding more ways to kill the same enemies in the same mode.
Looking at the pics on the official announcement, it does look like there'll be a new enemy introduced (there's a Reaper-like creature that's new in that screenshot of the Vorcha), and we're apparently getting a new objective type mentioned in other sites but not the official one (which also happened with the new equipment types in Resurgence).

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 06:48   Link #3098
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Looking at the pics on the official announcement, it does look like there'll be a new enemy introduced (there's a Reaper-like creature that's new in that screenshot of the Vorcha), and we're apparently getting a new objective type mentioned in other sites but not the official one (which also happened with the new equipment types in Resurgence).
I'm pretty sure that's a husk, someone posted a pic for comparison and it definitely looks the same to me. I know there's a new objective type being added but it's still gonna be just 1 wave in the horde mode; I'm hoping for an eventual entirely new game mode. (Still co-op of course, competitive would literally ruin the game if they tried to balance it and the idiots already screaming for nerfs in a co-op game would become deafening.)
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 07:22   Link #3099
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Does the Vorcha mean something in Mass Effect? Because...

Spoiler for This is also a Vorcha:
Old 2012-05-25, 08:12   Link #3100
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

No. Just the name. I suppose you could draw parallels between the Vorcha's aggression and the Klingon's, but that about ends the comparison. Vorcha are basically intelligent rats. Breed like crazy, highly adaptable biology and are seen as an infestation by everyone else.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
effect, games, mass