AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-23, 23:14   Link #101
Midonin
Last Engage

We shouldn't entirely assume that the viewers are morons. People have intelligence, and those among them can catch onto some of the more subtle things. Even those who've seen Haruhi will get a fairly large portion of the material. Give them a little more credit, y'know.
Old 2007-11-23, 23:19   Link #102
The Timotei Teller
Hot under these lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
We shouldn't entirely assume that the viewers are morons. People have intelligence, and those among them can catch onto some of the more subtle things. Even those who've seen Haruhi will get a fairly large portion of the material. Give them a little more credit, y'know.
I guess that was... kinda the point I was trying to reach. People with no experience may not put their money into Lucky Star, but if they do they're more than capable of figuring it out.
Old 2007-11-23, 23:22   Link #103
Midonin
Last Engage

Didn't mean to sound repetitive, just agreeing in a way perhaps a little more longwinded than I should've been.
Old 2007-11-24, 11:22   Link #104
Curulan
クルラン

Send a message via ICQ to Curulan Send a message via AIM to Curulan Send a message via MSN to Curulan Send a message via Yahoo to Curulan
I will most definitely be buying this when it is released. I started watching it because it looked quirky, and about laughed my ass off through most of the early episodes (I even got pretty sentimental during last episode).

The fact that Konata reminds me bit of what I was like in high school helps.

Edit: Also, any anime that references Dragon Quest V is a must-have in my book.

Last edited by Curulan; 2007-11-24 at 11:28. Reason: Had to add that in there.
Old 2007-11-24, 17:28   Link #105
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Well, yeah. Somehow there seems to be this pervasive believe out there that the people who buy anime DVDs but don't watch the fansubs are all neophytes who don't have two clues to rub together about anime. Does anyone really think that some person would, out of the blue, pick up Lucky Star to be their first anime purchase, without any background knowledge on anime culture? You don't have to watch fansubs to be an informed fan, or at least to inform yourself, and I even doubt that you need to be all that informed of a fan to enjoy Lucky Star. The "in-jokes" just make it better.
Old 2007-12-02, 18:26   Link #106
Kagami~Chan

*Yeah yeah, I'm reviving, I know*

Yeah, this is great and all. But there is a song called 'Lucky Star' By Madonna. This could cause problems, or could not. @_@
Old 2007-12-02, 18:49   Link #107
MaxwellDemon
"Bi?!" BI?!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami~Chan View Post

Yeah, this is great and all. But there is a song called 'Lucky Star' By Madonna. This could cause problems, or could not. @_@
Not really... there is plenty of titled media work that clashed each other by having the same name. Nothing really happens other than a bit of confusion.
Old 2007-12-02, 21:42   Link #108
The Timotei Teller

Hmm... After much deliberation, I've just arrived at a weird conclusion... I may sound crazy for being one of the only people to say this, but...

Perhaps, instead of assuming that Lucky Star will "confuse" mainstream viewers, we should assume that Lucky Star will "enlighten" them. I mean, think about it... half the things I learned about Japanese culture that I didn't already know came from watching Lucky Star. That's the reason I came to love it so much.

Any thoughts?
Old 2007-12-02, 23:08   Link #109
Hammy
slice of life otaku

same here--when i started watching Lucky Star, aside from the fact that i hated subtitles (now i shudder to think what the dub will sound like), i knew very little about the day to day culture in Japan, and ive learned quite alot from L*S, and even picked up a bit of the language in the process
Old 2007-12-02, 23:58   Link #110
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Timotei Teller View Post
Hmm... After much deliberation, I've just arrived at a weird conclusion... I may sound crazy for being one of the only people to say this, but...

Perhaps, instead of assuming that Lucky Star will "confuse" mainstream viewers, we should assume that Lucky Star will "enlighten" them. I mean, think about it... half the things I learned about Japanese culture that I didn't already know came from watching Lucky Star. That's the reason I came to love it so much.

Any thoughts?
That you're not "one of the only people to say this"?

Really, a number of us have been saying that the whole "Lucky*Star is unapproachable" meme is mostly crap since the early days of it. It uses forms of comedy quite accessible to anyone who has a fscking clue about Western comedy history, many of the jokes are observations of the Basic Human Condition, and the in-joke references on other series are mostly ignorable or at least the viewer can tell they're poking at something.

Seriously, it should no more opaque to an American who isn't a complete moron than a British comedy in most ways.
Old 2007-12-03, 16:48   Link #111
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami~Chan View Post

only a pain when searching on ebay, google, etc.
Old 2007-12-06, 09:52   Link #112
The Timotei Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
That you're not "one of the only people to say this"?

Seriously, it should no more opaque to an American who isn't a complete moron than a British comedy in most ways.
I'm well aware of that, I just didn't see it brought up into the conversation yet.
Old 2008-02-20, 17:09   Link #113
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Lucky Star Volume 1 release date!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOnDVD
Kadokawa Pictures USA New Title Solicitation (04:32 PM EST): Working with Bandai Entertainment, the first and very minimal solicitation has come out from them for one of their more anticipated releases this year via Right Stuf:

Lucky Star Vol. #1 (also w/limited edition) - 100 minutes - $29.98/64.98 - 05/06/2008
This the regular edition cover:

http://www.animeondvd.com/forum/show.../post/new/#NEW

...and here's the limited edition:

http://www.animeondvd.com/forum/show.../post/new/#NEW

Last edited by darkchibi07; 2008-02-20 at 17:23.
Old 2008-02-20, 18:28   Link #114
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Dang this poses me a problem I'm oh so familiar with. Wether to wait for the boxset or purchase each individual DVD. Its harder for me to do this with nseries just being released. I usually like boxsets, but for some things I just can't wait. I made that mistake with Mushishi.
Old 2008-02-21, 02:27   Link #115
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've got several series that I was purchasing singly that are now "in limbo" thanks to ADV's recent trip and stumble .... it makes me a lot more leery of purchasing a series one at a time. Granted I'm more confident that Bandai will finish what they start.
Old 2008-02-23, 11:03   Link #116
FireChick

May 6th?! Cool! I need to save some moolah! I need to get my hands on Kanon DVDs first.
Old 2008-03-12, 21:53   Link #117
darkchibi07

Guess what? We're getting more shirts!

Click me!

Old 2008-03-19, 13:28   Link #118
JustInn14
moo

Lightbulb ...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Timotei Teller View Post

Any thoughts?
Sorry for "reviving" the thread, but, I only watched Lucky Star after I watched "Haruhi". that certainly helped getting some of the "references". Bluh!

Yeh, I learned a bit about modern Japanese culture from it, too. Not sure if your standard TV viewer will find this show interesting or not, that honestly depends on what kind of shows (anime) they like.

Eh, just my opinion. It IS a "Moe" styled show, right?
Old 2008-03-22, 15:50   Link #119
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustInn14 View Post

Eh, just my opinion. It IS a "Moe" styled show, right?
I think we've entered the post-moe stage by now.
Old 2008-04-17, 05:28   Link #120
darkchibi07

If anyone is curious, someone in AnimeOnDVD got the first volume ahead of time:

http://animeondvd.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=80837
Closed Thread