AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-10-08, 16:14   Link #21
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Certainly a concept that is familiar. The good old aliens taking over people by slipping into their heads somehow. Think the first time I encountered that was while reading the Animorphs series.

Will have to see where this goes.
Old 2014-10-08, 17:42   Link #22
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I found myself quite invested, so I think I've found my show of the season. Old manga adaptations seem to click with me lately.~

Very interested in seeing how the symbiotic relationship between the main character and his parasite unfolds.

Also, I really liked the OP too. That's an uncommon occurance.
Old 2014-10-08, 17:56   Link #23
jedinat

Wow, good adaption so far. One of my favorite manga of all time. I had no idea this was coming, lol, I haven't been paying attention. Very nice surprise among so much s*** being aired recently. Hopefully it holds up.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 18:20   Link #24
Dextro
He Without a Title

Well. The first episode had me constantly on the edge of being grossed out but the comedy fell a bit flat. (I reckon that's what that breast grab was right?)

I'm not fully sold yet but I'll give it a few more episodes.
Old 2014-10-08, 18:52   Link #25
PonSquared
A Very Senior Member

8.5/10

Parasite! This was the best manga way back in the day. I think Parasite was the first manga I ever bought in English, in fact!

I really dug the first episode. creepy comedy. October win.

I am looking forward to the second episode.
PonSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 19:01   Link #26
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
but the comedy fell a bit flat. (I reckon that's what that breast grab was right?)
It's not a comedy. Like, at all.
Old 2014-10-08, 19:39   Link #27
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
It's not a comedy. Like, at all.
Something doesn't have to be a comedy to have comedic moments, which Parastye does have.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 19:55   Link #28
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Something doesn't have to be a comedy to have comedic moments, which Parastye does have.
I really don't remember any beyond the penis arm at the very beginning. Unless Shinichi getting flustered sometimes is supposed to be funny. There are a lot of just weird/bizarre elements, but I wouldn't consider them comedic, really.
Old 2014-10-08, 20:19   Link #29
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I really don't remember any beyond the penis arm at the very beginning. Unless Shinichi getting flustered sometimes is supposed to be funny. There are a lot of just weird/bizarre elements, but I wouldn't consider them comedic, really.
Well what each individual person does and doesn't consider funny is of course going to vary, but I personally feel Parastye has it's comedic moments.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 21:37   Link #30
Juicyyuuji

great first episode hope madhouse doesn't fuck it up since it's 50/50 with those guys
Old 2014-10-08, 21:50   Link #31
G0rd0

i never thought i would hear fear and loathing in las vegas in a anime op awesome!!!
G0rd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 22:15   Link #32
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

They've done at least 4 or 5 that I remember...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 22:18   Link #33
G0rd0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
They've done at least 4 or 5 that I remember...
Really dam im so ashamed if you dont mind telling me which other anime op did they do
G0rd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 22:34   Link #34
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrels View Post
Really dam im so ashamed if you dont mind telling me which other anime op did they do
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency....php?id=100551

In any event, that was certainly the best premiere of the season so far by a wide margin. And that's not at all surprising, given all the factors Parasyte had going in it favor.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 23:18   Link #35
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Excellent. In general, it was interesting, but the opener was especially great. One of the most important parts of entertainment is the ability to catch your audience as quick as possible. Sometimes, there are people who try to defend a show going "It gets really good later!", but that is too late. First impression is very important, and this show did a great job.
Yeah, blood and gore is always "eye-catching", but very little censoring and the whole aliens parasiting people just did a good job. No problem with the characters either, which is a good thing that some anime seem to have a hard time doing.

ED was great, but geez, that OP... Almost couldn't tell what language they were speaking.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 23:33   Link #36
Esclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Certainly a concept that is familiar. The good old aliens taking over people by slipping into their heads somehow. Think the first time I encountered that was while reading the Animorphs series.

Will have to see where this goes.
The original manga started serialization in 1990, so it's probably one of earlier incarnations of that in manga/anime.

Regarding the show itself, like I suspected, they did more than just change the appearance of Shinichi, his personality is pretty different from his manga source. I guess in a way, the original manga character draws from the common protagonist of the 90's whereas the anime version is pretty much the common protagonist of the modern era. Although a lot of the scenes were a bit funnier with the original protagonist.

Aside from that, the adaptation is incredible. They captured the sense of wonder/dread perfectly with the alien transformations and best of all, NO CENSORSHIP! Hirano Aya was perfect as Migi. Say what you want about the drama surrounding her, she's still a top tier voice actress.

The only thing I didn't particularly like was the spore landing scene that got shifted to the end. It would have been better to have just cut that scene out completely if they didn't want it at the beginning of the story. Putting it to the end of the episode doesn't really add anything relevant and makes it feel out of place.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-09, 00:49   Link #37
Mikethemaster

Location: Celebrating that Naruhina is cannon! :D Oh were I live Evansville Indiana
[QUOTE=Esclair;5289321]The original manga started serialization in 1990, so it's probably one of earlier incarnations of that in manga/anime.

Regarding the show itself, like I suspected, they did more than just change the appearance of Shinichi, his personality is pretty different from his manga source. I guess in a way, the original manga character draws from the common protagonist of the 90's whereas the anime version is pretty much the common protagonist of the modern era. Although a lot of the scenes were a bit funnier with the original protagonist.

Aside from that, the adaptation is incredible. They captured the sense of wonder/dread perfectly with the alien transformations and best of all, NO CENSORSHIP! Hirano Aya was perfect as Migi. Say what you want about the drama surrounding her, she's still a top tier voice actress.

The only thing I didn't particularly like was the spore landing scene that got shifted to the end. It would have been better to have just cut that scene out completely if they didn't want it at the beginning of the story. Putting it to the end of the episode doesn't really add anything relevant and makes it feel out of place.[/QUOTE

I haven't watxh the anime yet but Aya Hirano got a another gig that not Lucy by that i mean main female role from what i heard since 2011 it been hard for her to get a another gig, Glad she getting some roles even though i like her as Lucy
Old 2014-10-09, 01:48   Link #38
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.LocK View Post
Alien/Spiderman/Saya no Uta
I'd have called it a weird mix between Carpenter's The Thing and the 80ies movie Enemy Mine (with Dennis Quaid). Anime only viewer here, and I'm loving it. Up there with the very different Gugure Kokkuri San as this season's winners so far.

It has more story-plausibility than I thought it would have. (Cue manga readers: told you so. )
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-09, 03:37   Link #39
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Told you guys. His design doesn't look so bad now, does it?

This was a great premiere. Part of me wishes the story still took place in the 90s, but it makes more sense to modernize the setting in order to attract new viewers. They did a good job at that. It's pretty fun to see the inclusion of all those modern technologies into this. Shinichi is a lot more of a wimp than his manga self, but as evidenced by the pic above, it won't remain that way forever. He'll have to evolve if he wants to survive.

We didn't get a sense of how many aliens invaded Earth. If there are a lot of them, humanity is in deep shit. They're clearly stronger and frighteningly intelligent (it only took a couple of days for Migi to learn to read and speak Japanese). And they are definitely not friendly. This is looking grim. Deliciously grim.

I'm so happy this finally got a worthy anime adaptation after all these years. It's a classic more people need to know about.
Old 2014-10-09, 05:55   Link #40
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Started watching this series, and damn I was blown away on the first episode!

Good thing there's no censorship on Parasyte, and the fact that Aya Hirano voicing Shinichi's right hand fits well!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, gore, horror, sci-fi, violence